I-5 bridge collapses in Mount Vernon WA.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
    What about that ancient bridge in portland? I grip all the way over that pile of junk
    Yeah, that one is getting pretty bad too. Last I heard they were working on a replacement, but they might have to put up some sort of "temporary" bridge first, so they can tear down the old one and put the new bridge in the same spot. They can't just detour everyone over to 205, because that's way over on the east end of town.

And of course there, you have the added bueracracy of two states being involved.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Romeo Delight
      ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

We built a new bridge from Surrey to Vancouver...it is the widest bridge in North America I believe.

Well in winter it had icicles the size of harpoons falling through windshields...they learned to heat those cables pretty quick

Last edited by Romeo Delight; 05-24-2013, 02:11 AM.
      sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

News coverage from earlier tonight.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Northern Girl
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Lucky no one died. I think 15 died when this happened in Minneapolis.
          Same ole song and dance...

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Repukes are making bridges fall...

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by LoungeMachine

You really think lack of Infrastructure Funding is a DEM problem?????

It's not a left or right problem, dumbfuck...

Comment

• conmee
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Mar 2003

Apparently some guy (liberal union type) drove a wide load with drilling equipment over the bridge and knocked out one of the cross-beams which weakened the bridge and initiated its collapse... So looks like if was a Demo/Union cause those time around, though there was already Repub/Capitalist decrepitation ongoing. So I'm reaching across the aisle today and blaming both parties.

That is all.©®™

Icon©®™
                An Icon©®™Incorporated/GODDAM BUCK-KNIFE JACKBOOT MOTHERFUCK©®™ Production.
                hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

E.U.A.S. - "The Feng Shui in the House That Roth Built!"

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"It is possible to OverGap©®™" - Sesh©®™, 5-8-2013

"A reacharound doesn't need to be gay." - Sesh©®™, 1-18-2012

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

"For the love of jive, have a waborita and chill out." - Hitchman©®™, 5-18-2004

Comment

• ashstralia
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Feb 2004

there's quite a few ancient wooden bridges in my shire; but the council are gradually replacing them all.
                  the fact that they're still solid after 80 odd years is testament to the engineering and craftsmanship of the original builders.
                  and quality local hardwood.

there's a local guy who salvages the timber and makes furniture out of it. he does extremely well for himself.

nothing the size of that though. those big ones are immaculately maintained, since we're the major route from sydney to brisbane.

Comment

• cadaverdog
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Aug 2007

I used to drive over that bridge several times a month when I lived in Oak Harbor. It's not very high but the water looks treacherous below it. Lots of whirlpools which tells of a dangerous undercurrent. The Deception Pass bridge was much scarier. I doubt you'd survive the impact when you hit the water because it's so high. The road surface across it looks like shit. And the railings don't look very sturdy at all.
                    Beware of Dog

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                      It's not a left or right problem, dumbfuck...
                      Like Hell it isn't.

A right wing shitbag raped and pillaged the budget of Washington state.

Right wing shitbags raped and pillaged the budget of the United States.

Right wing shitbags in Congress consistently vote AGAINST infrastructure.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by conmee
                        Apparently some guy (liberal union type) drove a wide load with drilling equipment over the bridge and knocked out one of the cross-beams which weakened the bridge and initiated its collapse... So looks like if was a Demo/Union cause those time around, though there was already Repub/Capitalist decrepitation ongoing. So I'm reaching across the aisle today and blaming both parties.

That is all.©®™

Icon©®™
                        I haven't heard anything about the truck driver's political affiliation one way or the other, but I'm thinking he wasn't a Teamster, or he would have been properly trained enough to know he couldn't get across that bridge safely with that load.

And the trucker's negligence may very well have been the direct cause of the collapse, but it doesn't change the fact that this bridge was already known to be structurally obsolete.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

The Democrats had their bases loaded. They proved they are just as corrupt as the Republicans are. Hey the US has been used for other people's ATM for a long-time. Blaming the other party isn't going to change a thing.
                          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                            Like Hell it isn't.

A right wing shitbag raped and pillaged the budget of Washington state.

Right wing shitbags raped and pillaged the budget of the United States.

Right wing shitbags in Congress consistently vote AGAINST infrastructure.
                            Exactly.

Meanwhile we have a glorified Monorail with no parking, and gridlock on 405, 520, 5, and 90 8 hours a day.

Moving out of the city after 45 years there just to get away from traffic was the last option.
                            Originally posted by Kristy
                            Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                            Originally posted by cadaverdog
                            I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                              The Democrats had their bases loaded. They proved they are just as corrupt as the Republicans are. Hey the US has been used for other people's ATM for a long-time. Blaming the other party isn't going to change a thing.
                              3 on base, but never loaded. Fix the filibuster rule and then maybe the bases could be "loaded"

Originally posted by Kristy
                              Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                              Originally posted by cadaverdog
                              I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• FORD
                                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

And when the three on base are the likes of Harry Reid, Joe Lieberman, and Max Baucus, they're usually running backwards.
                                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...