X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jérôme Frenchise
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
    Do tennis balls still come in those aluminum cans? I remember saving coins in one. And nothing smells better than opening a fresh can. Thought I was a hot shot when I first bought a can of the orange ones lol.
    They still do. Or in plastic tubes. You could buy pressureless Tretorn balls by four in cardboard boxes too, I remember from when I started in the early 1980s - I was a competitor for 20 years, stopped when I turned 30 and changed regions - I was attached to my club and team, didn't feel like competing anymore then.

I was crazy about international chamionships in the late 70s, through the 80s and the mid-90s. I would stay awake till 4 in the morning to watch the McEnroe-Borg US Open finals on TV right from the age of 10. I was fond of the game, and the best players of that time, Borg, Connors, McEnroe, Gerulaitis...
    I followed the ladies too, Chris Evert, Tracy Austin, Hana Mandlikova...
    That sport was much more appealing back then IMO. Shots were much more varied and players were not as stereotyped as they are today.
    Rackets and balls were slower, today's champions can sure play faster, but it's been getting more and more boring...

Here's the match point for McEnroe against Lendl, 1984 Dallas final - 7/6 in the 5th set, McEnroe won the tie-break 7/0.
    Lendl won't accept his defeat after McEnroe concluded the (somptuous) final rallye with a shot that passed between the net and the net pole:

posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
    posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• envy_me
      Swedish Love Pump
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Dec 2010

I think I was watching the game when Monica Selesh was stabbed.
      The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
        Here's the match point for McEnroe against Lendl, 1984 Dallas final - 7/6 in the 5th set, McEnroe won the tie-break 7/0.
        Lendl won't accept his defeat after McEnroe concluded the (somptuous) final rallye with a shot that passed between the net and the net pole:
        Murray did something similar a few years ago but legally.

Nuts that McEnroe won a match like that.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          Murray did something similar a few years ago but legally.

Nuts that McEnroe won a match like that.
          Shots like Murray's are rare, but not exceptional. Enormous, anyway!

McEnroe was leading 6/0 in the final tie-break, so there wasn't much suspense left.

Lendl could be a total prick sometimes, like he is after that huge point.

I remember reading a piece of post-match interview by McEnroe, where he was asked to explain
          how he did that incredible forehand. He said something like "I saw the gap [between the net and the pole],
          I aimed at it, and it passed through it"

I wonder how Lendl could know the ball had passed through there, because he was at the opposite of the net
          when it occurred.
          posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
          posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• ODShowtime
            ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

Congrats GB. Now you're not the cleveland of tennis anymore.
            gnaw on it

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Nov 2004

Virginia Wade (England) won the ladies' 100th anniversary edition in 1977 though.

Comment

• VHscraps
                Veteran
                • Jul 2009

Virginia Wade is / was South African. She probably became a British subject (nae citizens here, pal) at some point, but it was the only way she could play tennis internationally as there was a sporting boycott of South Africa (and playing against teams / athletes representing it) at the time
                THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• katina
                  Commando
                  • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
                  I was crazy about international chamionships in the late 70s, through the 80s and the mid-90s. I would stay awake till 4 in the morning to watch the McEnroe-Borg US Open finals on TV right from the age of 10. I was fond of the game, and the best players of that time, Borg, Connors, McEnroe, Gerulaitis...
                  And Guillermo Vilas, a very cool and humble guy.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by VHscraps
                    Virginia Wade is / was South African. She probably became a British subject (nae citizens here, pal) at some point, but it was the only way she could play tennis internationally as there was a sporting boycott of South Africa (and playing against teams / athletes representing it) at the time
                    I'm not sure that's true I think you may have got mixed up.

She was born in England and then her English parents emigrated to South Africa when she was 1 year old. She then came back when she was 15.

I think that makes her English/British despite her accent.

Gerard Butler still counts as Scottish(I'm afraid) even with his new asshole accent.
                    Last edited by Seshmeister; 07-09-2013, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Working...