X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Izzy Moreno
    Like always, you are extremely cool-headed & entirely reasonable, Terry.

It certainly wasn't talent that put grunge in the spotlight. Lack of absolutely anything else seems quite fitting.
    I wouldn't go quite that far in terms of grunge being talent-free genre.

I just tend to look at 1989 as the last commercial hurrah for hair metal, certainly regarding the high-profile US bands that got heavy rotation on MTV. In terms of their best material, the likes of Motley Crue, Dokken, Ratt and the like were already recycling riffs and ideas. 1987 to 1989 had that blast of lesser-talented bands of the genre (your Wingers, Poisons and Warrants). Leppard had shot their wad with Hysteria.

So 1990 rolls around and you're left with Extreme, Trixter, Faster Pussycat...not exactly the cream of the crop. Queensryche and Skid Row were still plugging along with Empire and Slave To The Grind. And the whole hair metal template with the obligatory power ballad had just run out of steam. What had seemed new and exiting several years prior was just staid.

1991 was the transition year, but lest we forget you still had G n R and Metallica (not hair metal to be sure, but at some type of metal) selling a shitload of records that year.

And more than a bit of it was that kids graduating high school in the early 1990s were, by and large, probably too young to have really remembered (or cared) much about the 1980s LA hair metal bands. I mean, a kid turning 18 in 1992 would have been, what, 10 years old in 1984? Back then, to such a kid a Twisted Sister video would have had as much resonance as Pee Wee's Playhouse.

That whole grunge explosion lasted about as long as the hair metal scene, in terms of years. Shit, by 1996 Soundgarden was on their last gasp, Nirvana had already ended, Pearl Jam had peaked and then (much like Winger and Warrant in 1987) your Puddle of Mudd and Bush-type bands came in to mop up whatever residual interest left in that type of rock was left to be found.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

FORD and I have sparred over this before.

White suburbanites cryin' about how bad they got it? Yeah...fuck those guys.
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Anonymous
        Banned
        • May 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
        Let me stop you right there. I listen to just about everything but modern cuntry. If I were just a "grunge guy" you probably wouldn't have run into me on a DLR fan site. Then again, there are those here who loathe Dave. Go figure.
        You liar. You "good griefed" at my very partial list of the huge amount of names that I listen to.

And I love every single one of those as much as I love Dave.

No one "good griefs" at George Thorogood. At least no one sane.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber

White suburbanites cryin' about how bad they got it? Yeah...fuck you.
          What was it George Carlin said? That white people's job is to GIVE the blues, not get them. Because what in the fuck to white people have to complain about? Banana Republic closed down? Hootie and the Blowfish are breaking up?
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DONNIEP
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

but I'll just put all my cards in the table & come right out saying that I'll always blame John Lennon for every problem humanity faced from the 60s up until the 90s & Kunt Nobrain for all the problems since 1991.

If it weren't for Nerdvana spreading out like a disease & enabling other bands like Radiohead, facilitating the "woe is me" mentality since then, you wouldn't have disgruntled young losers from the west joining forces with the towel-headed dirt monkeys & commiting terrorist attacks.
            Let's go piss on their graves!!!
            American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

You liar. You "good griefed" at my very partial list of the huge amount of names that I listen to.

And I love every single one of those as much as I love Dave.

No one "good griefs" at George Thorogood. At least no one sane.
              My good grief was more for Helloween and Bob Seger.

Comment

• Anonymous
                Banned
                • May 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
                So we agree that instead of bombing random targets we should use these resources to check peoples record collections .
                Hadn't thought of that.

Yes. Yes, that seems like a good idea. A GREAT idea, in fact.

We can increase the efficacy in spotting out potential terrorists while decreasing the number of dead people, innocent or otherwise. Not to mention it's cheaper & a whole lot easier.

And incredibly more dangerous. But hey, that's ONE drawback amidst a sea of advantages.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

So we agree that instead of bombing random targets we should use these resources to check peoples record collections .
                  Nobody's bombing random targets you peace loving Hippie! What's happening is this new thing called "war". And when the enemy is mixed in with the "innocents" in the middle of Dirtville, people die. And if they're listening to Nirvana then so much the better

Comment

• Anonymous
                    Banned
                    • May 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber

White suburbanites cryin' about how bad they got it? Yeah...fuck those guys.
                    Well, looks like you're not entirely hopeless. Good on ya, Tuna.

Fuck. Those. Guys.

Indeed.

Comment

• Anonymous
                      Banned
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                      My good grief was more for Helloween and Bob Seger.
                      I can understand Bob Seger - badly!

But Helloween? Who has a beef with Helloween? They always were such a happy-go-lucky band in spite of their many internal turmoils.

All their songs are catchy, uplifting, and... oh... yeah, I can see why you wouldn't like them. Too much fun.

Comment

• vandeleur
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                        Nobody's bombing random targets you peace loving Hippie! What's happening is this new thing called "war". And when the enemy is mixed in with the "innocents" in the middle of Dirtville, people die. And if they're listening to Nirvana then so much the better
                        Bud there is fuck all to hit .... " dont believe the hype" asshat destroyed it ages before we got there ......

Tomorrows Telegraph ,,, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...non-event.html

Britain's controversial air campaign in Syria has been branded a “non-event” after it emerged that the Air Force has carried out only one attack on the country in the last four weeks.
                        Since MPs voted for war over Syria on 1 December, more than a month ago, RAF Tornados and Typhoons have mounted only three strike missions – all in the first five days of the operation.
                        No RAF manned strikes have been conducted on any Syrian target since 6 December, 28 days ago, it can be revealed. The only further strike was made on Christmas Day by an unmanned, remote-controlled Reaper drone, bringing the total number of British strike missions to four.
                        fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• vandeleur
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Sep 2009

The BBC did a live week at the airforce base in Cyprus and everyday these Jets fly out and back and never drop a single bomb.... same as your guys.

Comment

• vandeleur
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Sep 2009

Any way back to stuff that matters .............rock yeah \m/

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I can understand Bob Seger - badly!

But Helloween? Who has a beef with Helloween? They always were such a happy-go-lucky band in spite of their many internal turmoils.

All their songs are catchy, uplifting, and... oh... yeah, I can see why you wouldn't like them. Too much fun.
                              Are they as catchy and uplifting as that abysmally lethargic Manowar song you posted earlier?

Alright, enough of this. We don't have identical taste in music. No big 'ting.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Mar 2004

Bud there is fuck all to hit .... " dont believe the hype" asshat destroyed it ages before we got there ......

Tomorrows Telegraph ,,, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...non-event.html

Britain's controversial air campaign in Syria has been branded a “non-event” after it emerged that the Air Force has carried out only one attack on the country in the last four weeks.
                                Since MPs voted for war over Syria on 1 December, more than a month ago, RAF Tornados and Typhoons have mounted only three strike missions – all in the first five days of the operation.
                                No RAF manned strikes have been conducted on any Syrian target since 6 December, 28 days ago, it can be revealed. The only further strike was made on Christmas Day by an unmanned, remote-controlled Reaper drone, bringing the total number of British strike missions to four.
                                Well it's kinda hard to drop those bombs when the enemy is mixed in with "innocents". So nobody's actually just randomly targeting anything. Unless you're saying it's all Ubama's fault. Cause if you're saying that then I wholeheartedly agree

Comment

Working...