X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DONNIEP
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
    Did Brett ask him if there was going to be a "Van Hagar Rising" follow up?
    When's the presale start?? Mas Tequila!!
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

They asked a lot of good questions at the Links.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

FYI, for those in SoCal, not only is the Van Halen Rising book party tonight in Pasadena, but Ted Templeman will be there as well as Greg....

And, by the way, in that link is this question:

6. What’s next for you?
        I’ve got a number of ideas, but I think it’s likely that I’ll write a sequel to Van Halen Rising.
        Last edited by Va Beach VH Fan; 10-09-2015, 02:25 PM.
        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• DONNIEP
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
          FYI, for those in SoCal, not only is the Van Halen Rising book party tonight in Pasadena, but Ted Templeman will be there as well as Greg....

And, by the way, in that link is this question:

6. What’s next for you?
          I’ve got a number of ideas, but I think it’s likely that I’ll write a sequel to Van Halen Rising.
          The Van Hagar Years - Mas Tequila!!

Comment

• chuckjitsu
            Head Fluffer
            • Apr 2012

Very good book. I highly recommend it. I'd love for Greg's next book to continue where it left off and cover the rest Dave's first tenure with the band, the '96 debacle, the early 2000s flame out and finish up with Dave's return.

I've read the various accounts of Dave's departure in '85, but to this day I'll still don't feel like the whole truth is known about that, so I'd love for Greg to give that a thorough examining. Same thing to a degree with the '96 stuff and Dave's return in '06/'07.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by chuckjitsu
              Very good book. I highly recommend it. I'd love for Greg's next book to continue where it left off and cover the rest Dave's first tenure with the band, the '96 debacle, the early 2000s flame out and finish up with Dave's return.

I've read the various accounts of Dave's departure in '85, but to this day I'll still don't feel like the whole truth is known about that, so I'd love for Greg to give that a thorough examining. Same thing to a degree with the '96 stuff and Dave's return in '06/'07.

I highly doubt he'd go past 1985, but that's just my opinion, I haven't talked to him about it yet...

I do know, however, that he has had trepidations about a sequel because of the rest of the band unwilling to do an interview with him....

But hey, save it for the chat next weekend, right?

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• DONNIEP
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

I think the truth about Dave's split in '85 is pretty much like he's laid it out there. Ed was loaded most of the day pretty much every day and couldn't be bothered to get out of bed to work. Slappy has confirmed that's the same routine Ed and Al were in while recording 5150. Plus Dave's the biggest rock star on the planet at the time and he wanted to get on with it instead of waiting around for half-drunk-Ed to show up. So it's pretty believable that Dave might think "To hell with this, I don't need them" and off he goes.

What's always interested me is the exact timeline of when it went down. I did some research a while back on when CBS Pictures closed down and I think they shut down in October of '85, hard to remember now. The reason it's important is because Mike has been quoted as saying that Dave would show up to work on the next record, get all pissed off about whatever and split and go back to his place to work with his new band (paraphrasing here). Since Dave split in April of '85 and the movie studio closed in October and since Mike has said Dave was working with another band before the split I've always wanted to know who Dave was working with, if what Mike says is true. Was he just working up the songs for the CFTH soundtrack with some other dudes or was he already thinking "I'm halfway out the fucking door" while Ed was sleeping it off half the day. So was Dave working on the music that wound up being EEAS and who was he working with?

I don't think Dave split to be a movie star, as the Cunt Bros have claimed. But I think it probably influenced his mindset - these guys don't want to work, I've got to record the music for this movie and write the thing so fuck them.

The timing thing is key because Dave has claimed repeatedly that EEAS was written song for song for the movie soundtrack. Which doesn't mean he couldn't have had the ideas in his head before the production company went tits up. Plus this is Dave saying it, lol, and he tends to embellish things just a bit.

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                  I think the truth about Dave's split in '85 is pretty much like he's laid it out there. Ed was loaded most of the day pretty much every day and couldn't be bothered to get out of bed to work. Slappy has confirmed that's the same routine Ed and Al were in while recording 5150. Plus Dave's the biggest rock star on the planet at the time and he wanted to get on with it instead of waiting around for half-drunk-Ed to show up. So it's pretty believable that Dave might think "To hell with this, I don't need them" and off he goes.

What's always interested me is the exact timeline of when it went down. I did some research a while back on when CBS Pictures closed down and I think they shut down in October of '85, hard to remember now. The reason it's important is because Mike has been quoted as saying that Dave would show up to work on the next record, get all pissed off about whatever and split and go back to his place to work with his new band (paraphrasing here). Since Dave split in April of '85 and the movie studio closed in October and since Mike has said Dave was working with another band before the split I've always wanted to know who Dave was working with, if what Mike says is true. Was he just working up the songs for the CFTH soundtrack with some other dudes or was he already thinking "I'm halfway out the fucking door" while Ed was sleeping it off half the day. So was Dave working on the music that wound up being EEAS and who was he working with?

I don't think Dave split to be a movie star, as the Cunt Bros have claimed. But I think it probably influenced his mindset - these guys don't want to work, I've got to record the music for this movie and write the thing so fuck them.

The timing thing is key because Dave has claimed repeatedly that EEAS was written song for song for the movie soundtrack. Which doesn't mean he couldn't have had the ideas in his head before the production company went tits up. Plus this is Dave saying it, lol, and he tends to embellish things just a bit.
                  Therein lies the problem- we have to rely on Ed and Dave's subjective takes on the situation, which leads me to believe that there's more to the story than we've heard. It's akin to the story Ed and Al mentioned multiple times about how Dave came in to the band- "we got tired of paying him to use his PA, so we brought him in because it was cheaper/easier that way". There's some truth to that, but as I found out via Greg's book, there was a lot more to the story of Dave joining Van Halen than the simplistic PA narrative. That's how I feel about Dave's departure- that there's more beneath the surface that hasn't been fleshed out yet.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Apr 2005

I believe Dave. He also said the sisters didn't want too tour as much on top of their drinking issues. I think Dave said fuck that !!! That's our job !! Entertaining people, not taking a year to record an album !! It used to take us 4 weeks. So he said fuck it I'll go out myself. I think it was a mistake he just up and quit. I'm sure he thinks the same looking back. I mean let those guy's sit at home and go out on your own for a year. Then reconnect. I would have tried it that way first. If Ed at some point said you're out then say o.k. good luck !! I already have a new band.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
                      I believe Dave. He also said the sisters didn't want too tour as much on top of their drinking issues. I think Dave said fuck that !!! That's our job !! Entertaining people, not taking a year to record an album !! It used to take us 4 weeks. So he said fuck it I'll go out myself. I think it was a mistake he just up and quit. I'm sure he thinks the same looking back. I mean let those guy's sit at home and go out on your own for a year. Then reconnect. I would have tried it that way first. If Ed at some point said you're out then say o.k. good luck !! I already have a new band.
                      I can't remember if it was in Dave's book or in a interview where he said that he'd made a mistake leaving the band and that that one mistake made by a 30 year old Dave shouldn't keep the band from reconvening.

Comment

• bantonelli
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Nov 2004

Mark Stone in the house!!
                        "Meet us in the Future.....NOT the Pasture".......DLR, August '07, VH Press Conference - Tour '07-'08

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                          • Dec 2003

Greg and Mark Stone...

Greg and Ted Templeman....

I should add, those pics came from her Facebook page....
                          Last edited by Va Beach VH Fan; 10-09-2015, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

So Ted's mouth to Greg's ears and now, our eyes, "I actually wanted Sammy in the band at the time, because I had done Montrose. I know that was on my mind in the beginning." Thank God he came to his senses.

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                              So Ted's mouth to Greg's ears and now, our eyes, "I actually wanted Sammy in the band at the time, because I had done Montrose. I know that was on my mind in the beginning." Thank God he came to his senses.
                              Amen brother!

Comment

• ZahZoo
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Looking forward to the chat with Greg...

VA can you edit your post #211 so that video doesn't auto-play?
                                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Working...