Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 'Van Halen Rising' Book Chat with Greg Renoff - Oct. 17th, 9pm ET

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    I prefer to answer like this. I would rather see Alice In Chains as I did in a hole in the wall club in 1990 with people all around me either scratching their heads or running for the door with shit in their pants because Layne scared it out of them. Steel Panther is of no use to me. That's not to say that I don't think they are talented. Goofy faux "cock rock" just ain't my thing.
    Well, I'm sorry, I didn't know GG Allin was your thing.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    Am with Izzy the pic doesnt look right.
    That's because you're both gay.
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    That's because you're both gay.
    seems harsh
    fuck your fucking framing

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy Moreno View Post

That guy is scary.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well I actually watched some of that. Here's what I learned:

The singer is insane and has a really small weenuh. The small weenuh probably explains the anger.

The crowd looked like all ugly dudes who are equally nuts and seem to like to hit each other. I believe they probably all have tiny Honkie Dongs too.

The music was horrible. The singer should have killed himself on stage. That would have at least been entertaining.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    FWIW, I liked the grunge stuff, including Nirvana. I do remember there being a ton of hype around Smells Like Teen Spirit and when I finally saw the video/heard the song I remember thinking "that's what all the hype is about?". I liked the song, but it wasn't that great. If nothing else, at least the grunge stuff was guitar based. All things considered, I thought some pretty decent stuff came out of that era. The band Helmet had their heyday during that period, so I'm glad I found them as I really liked their first four albums.

I do think the "grunge killed hair metal" mythology is not entirely accurate. I think it was just more the natural cycle of music styles/tastes changing than some sort of revolutionary call to arms for the nation's disaffected youth. That's always struck me as being a bit of a hokey narrative.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    seems harsh
    Donnie's just lashing out because he knows we know that he's easier to fool than a coked up Rob Halford at an all-crossdresser party.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Donnie's just lashing out because he knows we know that he's easier to fool than a coked up Rob Halford at an all-crossdresser party.
    Sometimes he doesnt know how mean he is being

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He wasn't. Layne was great, though.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    FWIW, I liked the grunge stuff, including Nirvana. I do remember there being a ton of hype around Smells Like Teen Spirit and when I finally saw the video/heard the song I remember thinking "that's what all the hype is about?". I liked the song, but it wasn't that great. If nothing else, at least the grunge stuff was guitar based. All things considered, I thought some pretty decent stuff came out of that era. The band Helmet had their heyday during that period, so I'm glad I found them as I really liked their first four albums.

I do think the "grunge killed hair metal" mythology is not entirely accurate. I think it was just more the natural cycle of music styles/tastes changing than some sort of revolutionary call to arms for the nation's disaffected youth. That's always struck me as being a bit of a hokey narrative.
    I appreciate how reasonable you grunge guys are, trying to meet us sleaze cockers in the middle, but I'll just put all my cards in the table & come right out saying that I'll always blame John Lennon for every problem humanity faced from the 60s up until the 90s & Kunt Nobrain for all the problems since 1991.

If it weren't for Nerdvana spreading out like a disease & enabling other bands like Radiohead, facilitating the "woe is me" mentality since then, you wouldn't have disgruntled young losers from the west joining forces with the towel-headed dirt monkeys & commiting terrorist attacks.

No one will be able to cuntvince me otherwise.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I appreciate how reasonable you grunge guys are, trying to meet us sleaze cockers in the middle, but I'll just put all my cards in the table & come right out saying that I'll always blame John Lennon for every problem humanity faced from the 60s up until the 90s & Kunt Nobrain for all the problems since 1991.

If it weren't for Nerdvana spreading out like a disease & enabling other bands like Radiohead, facilitating the "woe is me" mentality since then, you wouldn't have disgruntled young losers from the west joining forces with the towel-headed dirt monkeys & commiting terrorist attacks.

No one will be able to cuntvince me otherwise.
    Some big (huuuge) jumps of logic there but I will point out the main one.
    Saying People who listen to radioheeed become terrorists is missing the obvious fact that they live at home with mum and cant really stay out that late

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    I was unimpressed with Teen Spirit. Once I heard Come As You Are, I thought ok, I like where this is going. The Knack meets Black Sabbath, someone once called them. Can't quite argue with that.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Some big (huuuge) jumps of logic there but I will point out the main one.
    Saying People who listen to radioheeed become terrorists is missing the obvious fact that they live at home with mum and cant really stay out that late
    Nope, didn't miss that fact at all. You just filled a gap where you had to take a logic jump.

If you pay attention to the young adult western retards that join forces with the towel-headed dirt monkeys, they were, indeed, living with mum.

I heard the speech of one of them, the French guy that helped plan the attack on the Eagles of Death Metal.

He was telling the others that they were to shoot everyone in sight, humiliate them, spit in their faces, etc. because that is all they deserve.

Tell me that's not the speech of someone who is pissed off they don't get enough attention. He probably listened to "Creep" before he ran away from homw.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I appreciate how reasonable you grunge guys are, trying to meet us sleaze cock...
    Let me stop you right there. I listen to just about everything but modern cuntry. If I were just a "grunge guy" you probably wouldn't have run into me on a DLR fan site. Then again, there are those here who loathe Dave. Go figure.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nope, didn't miss that fact at all. You just filled a gap where you had to take a logic jump.

If you pay attention to the young adult western retards that join forces with the towel-headed dirt monkeys, they were, indeed, living with mum.

I heard the speech of one of them, the French guy that helped plan the attack on the Eagles of Death Metal.

He was telling the others that they were to shoot everyone in sight, humiliate them, spit in their faces, etc. because that is all they deserve.

Tell me that's not the speech of someone who is pissed off they don't get enough attention. He probably listened to "Creep" before he ran away from homw.
    So we agree that instead of bombing random targets we should use these resources to check peoples record collections .

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Like always, you are extremely cool-headed & entirely reasonable, Terry.

It certainly wasn't talent that put grunge in the spotlight. Lack of absolutely anything else seems quite fitting.
    I wouldn't go quite that far in terms of grunge being talent-free genre.

I just tend to look at 1989 as the last commercial hurrah for hair metal, certainly regarding the high-profile US bands that got heavy rotation on MTV. In terms of their best material, the likes of Motley Crue, Dokken, Ratt and the like were already recycling riffs and ideas. 1987 to 1989 had that blast of lesser-talented bands of the genre (your Wingers, Poisons and Warrants). Leppard had shot their wad with Hysteria.

So 1990 rolls around and you're left with Extreme, Trixter, Faster Pussycat...not exactly the cream of the crop. Queensryche and Skid Row were still plugging along with Empire and Slave To The Grind. And the whole hair metal template with the obligatory power ballad had just run out of steam. What had seemed new and exiting several years prior was just staid.

1991 was the transition year, but lest we forget you still had G n R and Metallica (not hair metal to be sure, but at some type of metal) selling a shitload of records that year.

And more than a bit of it was that kids graduating high school in the early 1990s were, by and large, probably too young to have really remembered (or cared) much about the 1980s LA hair metal bands. I mean, a kid turning 18 in 1992 would have been, what, 10 years old in 1984? Back then, to such a kid a Twisted Sister video would have had as much resonance as Pee Wee's Playhouse.

That whole grunge explosion lasted about as long as the hair metal scene, in terms of years. Shit, by 1996 Soundgarden was on their last gasp, Nirvana had already ended, Pearl Jam had peaked and then (much like Winger and Warrant in 1987) your Puddle of Mudd and Bush-type bands came in to mop up whatever residual interest left in that type of rock was left to be found.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    FORD and I have sparred over this before.

White suburbanites cryin' about how bad they got it? Yeah...fuck those guys.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Let me stop you right there. I listen to just about everything but modern cuntry. If I were just a "grunge guy" you probably wouldn't have run into me on a DLR fan site. Then again, there are those here who loathe Dave. Go figure.
    You liar. You "good griefed" at my very partial list of the huge amount of names that I listen to.

And I love every single one of those as much as I love Dave.

No one "good griefs" at George Thorogood. At least no one sane.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post

White suburbanites cryin' about how bad they got it? Yeah...fuck you.
    What was it George Carlin said? That white people's job is to GIVE the blues, not get them. Because what in the fuck to white people have to complain about? Banana Republic closed down? Hootie and the Blowfish are breaking up?

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    but I'll just put all my cards in the table & come right out saying that I'll always blame John Lennon for every problem humanity faced from the 60s up until the 90s & Kunt Nobrain for all the problems since 1991.

Let's go piss on their graves!!!

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You liar. You "good griefed" at my very partial list of the huge amount of names that I listen to.

And I love every single one of those as much as I love Dave.

No one "good griefs" at George Thorogood. At least no one sane.
    My good grief was more for Helloween and Bob Seger.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So we agree that instead of bombing random targets we should use these resources to check peoples record collections .
    Hadn't thought of that.

Yes. Yes, that seems like a good idea. A GREAT idea, in fact.

We can increase the efficacy in spotting out potential terrorists while decreasing the number of dead people, innocent or otherwise. Not to mention it's cheaper & a whole lot easier.

And incredibly more dangerous. But hey, that's ONE drawback amidst a sea of advantages.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nobody's bombing random targets you peace loving Hippie! What's happening is this new thing called "war". And when the enemy is mixed in with the "innocents" in the middle of Dirtville, people die. And if they're listening to Nirvana then so much the better

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post

White suburbanites cryin' about how bad they got it? Yeah...fuck those guys.
    Well, looks like you're not entirely hopeless. Good on ya, Tuna.

Fuck. Those. Guys.

Indeed.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    My good grief was more for Helloween and Bob Seger.
    I can understand Bob Seger - badly!

But Helloween? Who has a beef with Helloween? They always were such a happy-go-lucky band in spite of their many internal turmoils.

All their songs are catchy, uplifting, and... oh... yeah, I can see why you wouldn't like them. Too much fun.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nobody's bombing random targets you peace loving Hippie! What's happening is this new thing called "war". And when the enemy is mixed in with the "innocents" in the middle of Dirtville, people die. And if they're listening to Nirvana then so much the better
    Bud there is fuck all to hit .... " dont believe the hype" asshat destroyed it ages before we got there ......

Tomorrows Telegraph ,,, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...non-event.html

Britain's controversial air campaign in Syria has been branded a “non-event” after it emerged that the Air Force has carried out only one attack on the country in the last four weeks.
    Since MPs voted for war over Syria on 1 December, more than a month ago, RAF Tornados and Typhoons have mounted only three strike missions – all in the first five days of the operation.
    No RAF manned strikes have been conducted on any Syrian target since 6 December, 28 days ago, it can be revealed. The only further strike was made on Christmas Day by an unmanned, remote-controlled Reaper drone, bringing the total number of British strike missions to four.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The BBC did a live week at the airforce base in Cyprus and everyday these Jets fly out and back and never drop a single bomb.... same as your guys.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Any way back to stuff that matters .............rock yeah \m/

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can understand Bob Seger - badly!

But Helloween? Who has a beef with Helloween? They always were such a happy-go-lucky band in spite of their many internal turmoils.

All their songs are catchy, uplifting, and... oh... yeah, I can see why you wouldn't like them. Too much fun.
    Are they as catchy and uplifting as that abysmally lethargic Manowar song you posted earlier?

Alright, enough of this. We don't have identical taste in music. No big 'ting.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bud there is fuck all to hit .... " dont believe the hype" asshat destroyed it ages before we got there ......

Tomorrows Telegraph ,,, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...non-event.html

Britain's controversial air campaign in Syria has been branded a “non-event” after it emerged that the Air Force has carried out only one attack on the country in the last four weeks.
    Since MPs voted for war over Syria on 1 December, more than a month ago, RAF Tornados and Typhoons have mounted only three strike missions – all in the first five days of the operation.
    No RAF manned strikes have been conducted on any Syrian target since 6 December, 28 days ago, it can be revealed. The only further strike was made on Christmas Day by an unmanned, remote-controlled Reaper drone, bringing the total number of British strike missions to four.
    Well it's kinda hard to drop those bombs when the enemy is mixed in with "innocents". So nobody's actually just randomly targeting anything. Unless you're saying it's all Ubama's fault. Cause if you're saying that then I wholeheartedly agree

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Any way back to stuff that matters .............rock yeah \m/

Even their most commercial, sell-out stuff KICKS ASS!

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Are they as catchy and uplifting as that abysmally lethargic Manowar song you posted earlier?

Alright, enough of this. We don't have identical taste in music. No big 'ting.
    Well, Eric Adams was distracted. You can't sing properly with all of that good stuff on stage.

Yeah, it was bad. I only posted it because babes. Manowar don't usually sound that horrible.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well it's kinda hard to drop those bombs when the enemy is mixed in with "innocents". So nobody's actually just randomly targeting anything. Unless you're saying it's all Ubama's fault. Cause if you're saying that then I wholeheartedly agree
    If I agree am I forgiven for posting proper stuff.... I feel all dirty and ashamed and not in a good way

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If I agree am I forgiven for posting proper stuff.... I feel all dirty and ashamed and not in a good way
    Here, let's make up by enjoying some really good music.

See? If that don't put a smile on your face then I don't know what will. Plus she's hot and has a great tan and great hair. And there's even a Trannie standing next to her. There's something for everybody. And not a filthy Hippie or Talicong in sight.

I would have jerked her panties off the second she walked off stage. That's some 70s goodness right there!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here, let's make up by enjoying some really good music.

See? If that don't put a smile on your face then I don't know what will. Plus she's hot and has a great tan and great hair. And there's even a Trannie standing next to her. There's something for everybody. And not a filthy Hippie or Talicong in sight.

I would have jerked her panties off the second she walked off stage. That's some 70s goodness right there!

Donnie donnie donnie , why you post stuff with women who are void of TITS. There is a theme.

And the one next to the tit vacuum is a bloke fo sure.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Donnie donnie donnie , why you post stuff with women who are void of TITS. There is a theme.

It was the 70s, smaller tits was ok. Besides, I don't want to titty fuck her - I'll be just fine with her cooch. Right, and you say I'm too picky

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Stop being an asshole.

Your GOOD FRIEND is trying to come out. You should be encouraging him, not putting him down & trying to shame him.

Honestly, Vandy. I thought you were a better person.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It was the 70s, smaller tits was ok. Besides, I don't want to titty fuck her - I'll be just fine with her cooch. Right, and you say I'm too picky
    Buddy we both know you aint picky

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Stop being an asshole.

Your GOOD FRIEND is trying to come out. You should be encouraging him, not putting him down & trying to shame him.

Honestly, Vandy. I thought you were a better person.
    Izzy you are so better at this than me, I get it now.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Izzy you are so better at this than me, I get it now.
    He's just taking baby steps towards his new life.

We must be there for him. Well, up to a point.

Thread Information