• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Halen
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by ffoner
    Hey guys,

I'm the guy working on the book. Huge fan; saw em first in 84. Been around VH boards for years.

I'm a professional historian and a previously published author (pop my name into Amazon and you can see my first book) so this isn't some half-cocked project. I've been slogging away on it for five years. I'm still some ways away from publication but I'm getting closer.

My goal is to document how VH broke out of Pasadena and made it to the worldwide stage in 78. I've interviewed scores of musicians (many of whom made it big in the 80s) who gigged alongside Van Halen around LA before they broke. Tons of folks who saw them in the backyards, knew em in HS, and even the hosts of the backyard parties Roth talks about in Crazy from the Heat. Many unseen pix and other items; I've been to archives from Pasadena to NYC.

And for the record, Mike is as nice as everyone says he is. Had the pleasure of spending an hour on the phone with him.

I wanted to do the book because I feared that if I didn't write it all these great stories would be lost forever and I was tired of reading the same old accounts of ("they switched instruments..Roth joins..backyard parties.....rainy night at the Starwood....), which were largely based on supposition rather than actual research.

Be patient. Van Halen Rising is coming.

Thanks ----
    Yeah, I remember you!

Welcome!

Saw them first in 1979, when I took this picture. If you need anything, let us know. Plenty of old school VH fans around here!

Comment

• DLR Bridge
      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Jeezes H Von! Where's your god damn photo coffee table book already?!

Comment

• ffoner
        Full On Cocktard
        • Dec 2006

VON, that is KILLER! Would you mind if I blogged that one? I'll link to your twitter feed if that works.

Comment

• Von Halen
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

VON, that is KILLER! Would you mind if I blogged that one? I'll link to your twitter feed if that works.
          Be my guest.

Comment

• ffoner
            Full On Cocktard
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
            true that! Ozzy's bio sucks ass...it's written together by some ghosty who was going through the different documentaries and interviews from Ozzy. there was literarelly NOTHING new in the book. not so much for keef's which is a fantastic read.
            Funny you bring KR's book up. I think one advantage he and his ghostwriter had is that there's TONS of books written by people who were around the stones, so the ghostwriter could probably put together a timeline and then begin asking KR about all these different stories.

Great book though. One of the best. A must read.

Comment

• ffoner
              Full On Cocktard
              • Dec 2006

Von where and when was that pic taken? THANKS, BTW.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Thanks. It's going to be based on multiple perspectives of many people obviously. Official bios are great, but let's face it, how much do people remember on their own about events that happened nearly 40 years (!!) ago? (See Ozzy and Iommi's books for examples) Autobiographies can only tell part of the story. It's been like putting together a patchwork quilt to put the pieces together, but taken in total it's going to be the most complete story of how they made it.
                I appreciate your reply! I've had screenplay ideas kicking around in my head for some time (though, some people in here say no one would watch but us) that focus on the beginning. I really am looking forward to the backyard party stories and pictures.

Comment

• Von Halen
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

July 19th, 1979. Century II Convention Center in Wichita, KS.

General admission. Waited all day in sweltering heat to get that spot. It was worth it.

Comment

• ffoner
                    Full On Cocktard
                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                    I appreciate your reply! I've had screenplay ideas kicking around in my head for some time (though, some people in here say no one would watch but us) that focus on the beginning. I really am looking forward to the backyard party stories and pictures.
                    Speaking of screenplays, have you seen the Runaways movie? I haven't seen it.

Comment

• clarathecarrot
                      Full Member Status

• May 2010

Sounds great I got a few bucks laying around for just such a purchase.

I went to a book store when CFTH book was about a month away from release and the manager didn't know about it, so I got him to oder 15 books hard bound for his store he sold out.

If your book is as good as it sounds I'll do the same.
                      2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
                      clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Oh and the guy Roth mentions in one of them because VH borrowed his truck to haul gear back in 73? Yeah, I found him.
                        How about some of the guys from the Van Halen: The Early Years documentary. Reach any of them? Mark Stone?

Comment

• mug
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Mar 2005

Very cool stuff. Brings back seeing them in Milwaukee in 79' wow that show rocked. Cool pics. Can't wait for this book.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Speaking of screenplays, have you seen the Runaways movie? I haven't seen it.
                            No, been meaning to check that out, too.

Comment

• Von Halen
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I took my avatar pic in Salina, KS at the Bicentennial Center in 1980.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                                Roth Army Caesar
                                • Mar 2003

Going to get my stubs...

and Vonn...you haven't told everyone about your coffee table book? Are you just showing it to the webbies?
                                "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

Working...