Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,582 Times in 3,461 Posts

2004 Tour Meltdown...

Flashback: Van Halen's Ill-Fated 2004 Reunion Tour With Sammy Hagar

By Andy Greene
    August 8, 2013 1:45 PM

Van Halen's 2004 reunion tour with Sammy Hagar made a lot of sense, on paper. The group had been in hibernation for six years following their ill-fated LP and world tour with Extreme vocalist Gary Cherone, and fans were hungry to see the band again. David Lee Roth may have seemed like the obvious choice for a vocalist at this point, but private attempts to reunite with him earlier in the decade quickly fizzled. With no other viable option, they reached out to Sammy Hagar, who was quite willing to forgive and forget.

The tour could have been a huge triumph, but problems emerged before they played a single note together. Eddie didn't want to include Michael Anthony, and Hagar wouldn't agree to anything unless the bassist was on the tour. Anthony ultimately signed a contract that drastically reduced his income for the tour. "I had to also concede a bunch of other stuff like percentage cuts and any claim to the trademark," he told Rolling Stone in 2007. "I didn't need the money. I decided to suck it up because I thought if this was the last time Van Halen was performing, I wanted to be out there with them and with the fans."

Michael Anthony was on board, but Sammy Hagar was shocked when he saw Eddie in the flesh for the first time in a decade. "He looked like he hadn't bathed in a week," he wrote in his 2011 memoir Red: My Uncensored Life in Rock. "He was missing a number of teeth and the ones he had left were black. His boots were so worn out he had gaffer's tape wrapped around them, and his big toe stuck out. He walked up to me, hunched over like a little old man, a cigarette in his mouth. He had a third of his tongue removed because of cancer and he spoke with a slight lisp."

The group decided to cut three new songs for a Van Halen compilation album, but Ed kept disappearing and Sammy started to fear the whole thing would fall apart. "He had turned into the weirdest fuck I'd ever seen, crude, rude and unkempt," he wrote. "I should have walked, but Eddie's got a very charming, cunning side to him, where you feel like he's got a good heart. He's going to come through. He's going to clean up and we're going to get this thing done."

With help from producer Glen Ballard, they managed to cobble together three songs. They then assembled a set list that was heavy on material from the Van Hagar era, a handful of songs from the Roth era and the three new songs. (Here's video of the group performing "Panama" at the Continental Airlines Arena in East Rutherford, New Jersey.)

It was clear to most people in the crowd that Eddie wasn't in the best shape, but few knew the depths of his drinking problem. Hagar and Anthony barely spoke to Eddie backstage, but by some miracle they didn't miss a single date on the tour. When it ended in Tucson, Arizona in November of 2004, they went their separate ways. Sammy hasn't spoken to Eddie since, and Anthony learned he was fired from the band when he read reports online a few years later that Eddie's son Wolfgang was the new bassist.

Despite all the trouble, Sammy Hagar has no regrets about his time in Van Halen. "Everyone immediately goes to the dirt, but quite honestly being in Van Halen was one of the greatest experiences in my life," he told Rolling Stone in 2011. "I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I’ll take the dirt right with it."

He even told us another reunion isn't totally out of the question. "Someday, before we all die, fuck yeah," he said. "We might be in our nineties, though."

RollingStone
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

The last part of the last show....

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 08:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,445 Posts

Heck with '08 Dave and '12 Ed, I would have loved me some '02 Dave and '04 Ed.

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    The last part of the last show....
    I was at this one.. about 10-12 rows back and clearly remember Ed smashing that thing... I was certain I'd never see him alive again.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    05-10-2021 @ 05:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Hagar's outfit is awful as much as ace's.....

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    Hagar's outfit is awful as much as ace's.....
    He's awful. I remember being able to taste the tension. It was nice to see Ed sick of that fat clown. Oh, and Wolf played rhythm on YRGM. Crazy that 3 years later he'd be playing bass in front of me..

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2017 @ 10:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I remember paying 250ish for a couple tickets for the 04 tour. Don't know if it was problems with Ed and/or poor ticket sales, but they cancelled. Looking back, thk god they did.

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-17-2015 @ 12:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I've stated numerous times on this site that one of the proudest moments in my life was declining free tickets to their November 4th show at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, IA. They were offered to me by my older brother, who knew I was a Van Halen freak. To which I replied:

"That's not Van Halen."

9. Thanked Zing! for this KICKASS post:

Angel (08-27-2013)

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-29-2016 @ 10:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I said this before but, my dad saw them on the 2004 tour and he thought it was absolutley heartbreaking. He never outright said it, but he truly believed Eddie was going to die after the tour. He'd just say "He dosen't look that healthy" and "I don't think his health is all that good" And he didn't know the truth about how much of an asshole Sammy was on that tour, selling tequila while his bandmate was deteriorating of alcoholism.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-29-2016 @ 10:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    So you'd rather see Dave wearing pink sequined pants and a horrible wig and Eddie on the brink of death that an older and wiser Dave and a sober Ed?

12. 2 users say thank you to fraroc for this KICKASS post:

Angel (08-27-2013),Terry (09-02-2013)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,582 Times in 3,461 Posts

Had no urge whatsoever to see them when they came to Buffalo/Darien Lake. I had better things to do like watch paint dry and staple my eyebrows...

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fraroc View Post
    So you'd rather see Dave wearing pink sequined pants and a horrible wig and Eddie on the brink of death than an older and wiser Dave and a sober Ed?
    I was actually kinda joking, but to tell you the truth, they were both way more rock and roll then then they are now. I know Dave put on great shows then and Ed was actually pretty damn good at the Philly show I caught early on the '04 hell tour. Don't think he was stinking up the joints until a bit further into the tour.

As far as the whole sobriety thing goes, if these guys could simply "craft their buzz" as Dave once described the art, they'd be a heck of a lot more loose on stage. I love this band and I'm glad their alive and well, but the maniacally outrageous behavior that was rampant throughout the band during the early shows we all long to own on DVD someday were brought to you in part by alcohol. Among other recreational supplements.
    Last edited by DLR Bridge; 08-29-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-17-2015 @ 12:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

One of the most difficult things in rock is to make yourself look interesting at 60 without looking like a sell-out, or just plain silly. Some folks can pull it off (Alice Cooper for example - you would never know he's a successful restauranteur and a damn good golfer just by going to his show), others can't (ie: Sammy Haggar - whose shows are like infomercials). I think Dave is still trying to find his way with his image and played it very, very safe on this most recent tour. He already had one last hurrah back in 07/08 and delivered the goods, both vocally and athletically. The 2012 ADKOT tour didn't translate quite as well for DLR in terms of outrageous rock and roll behavior as the preceding tour - but there are little things Dave can do to improve this and give us back the DLR attitude of old. #1) lose the dance floor. #2) lose the Oz scarecrow meets vaudeville schtick. #3) retire the jumps, kicks, and splits for good. #4) bring back the menace and confidence of old, where he prowled the stage like a rock God. #5) most importantly... repair the pipes. Do whatever it takes to get them in working order. Sing the songs properly so we can sing along too. The screams are gone for good - that's cool. But your voice is your meal ticket. Time to put in the serious work and get it in shape.

This edition of Dave's Career Advice brought to you by Zing!

16. 5 users say thank you to Zing! for this KICKASS post:

BenJammin (08-31-2013),DLR Bridge (08-30-2013),Terry (09-02-2013),Va Beach VH Fan (08-30-2013),vandeleur (08-30-2013)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This^

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zing! View Post
    One of the most difficult things in rock is to make yourself look interesting at 60 without looking like a sell-out, or just plain silly. Some folks can pull it off (Alice Cooper for example - you would never know he's a successful restauranteur and a damn good golfer just by going to his show), others can't (ie: Sammy Haggar - whose shows are like infomercials). I think Dave is still trying to find his way with his image and played it very, very safe on this most recent tour. He already had one last hurrah back in 07/08 and delivered the goods, both vocally and athletically. The 2012 ADKOT tour didn't translate quite as well for DLR in terms of outrageous rock and roll behavior as the preceding tour - but there are little things Dave can do to improve this and give us back the DLR attitude of old. #1) lose the dance floor. #2) lose the Oz scarecrow meets vaudeville schtick. #3) retire the jumps, kicks, and splits for good. #4) bring back the menace and confidence of old, where he prowled the stage like a rock God. #5) most importantly... repair the pipes. Do whatever it takes to get them in working order. Sing the songs properly so we can sing along too. The screams are gone for good - that's cool. But your voice is your meal ticket. Time to put in the serious work and get it in shape.

This edition of Dave's Career Advice brought to you by Zing!

Well said....

The problem, however, is that #5 may not be possible.... Let's face it, age takes it's toll....

It's happened, among varying degrees, to the best of them.... It happened to Sinatra, for Invisible Man sakes....

But there are ways you can minimize that, such as changing the key of the song to accommodate Dave's inability to hit the notes any more....

Zeppelin did that on some songs for Plant...

KISS is now doing that for Stanley....

Doing that would not only make Dave's vocals so much better, but would also eliminate those embarrassing yelps (think DTNA) that he's doing now....

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They've always been a half step down for Dave. You go a whole step and the strings just don't have enough tension and the sound/tone gets a little too buzzy I think. I need a more guitar smart person to tell me whether I'm full of shit on this one or not.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-17-2024 @ 12:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks

You play everything a step down, you don't loosen the strings.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

How do you tune down without the tension of the strings getting loose all around?

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You do standard tuning, just play a step down. Unless everything you play is a low E.

Waylon F'N Jennings
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-03-2013 @ 09:13 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThatArtGuy View Post
    You do standard tuning, just play a step down. Unless everything you play is a low E.
    For a band like VH, that cannot and will not happen.

Fools, I Live With Fools
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2015 @ 05:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

25. 2 users say thank you to NIN1211 for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (08-31-2013),Zing! (08-31-2013)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Never saw that before. Good stuff.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

2004 Tour Meltdown...

Quote Originally Posted by Zing! View Post
    I've stated numerous times on this site that one of the proudest moments in my life was declining free tickets to their November 4th show at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, IA.
    Funny, I was at that show too.. Ed wasn't terrible at that one. I really enjoyed Iowa. A day or 2 after the show we drove up to Nebraska and caught Dave at a Casino gig.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's so annoying how it's been said by Ed that a reunion with Dave was actually looking and sounding good in '00 "until the lawyers got involved". What God damned lawyers made sure '04 with Sammy would work? I mean, fuck.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's so annoying how it's been said by Ed that a reunion with Dave was actually looking and sounding good in '00 "until the lawyers got involved". What God damned lawyers made sure '04 with Sammy would work? I mean, fuck.
    And EVH originally didn't want Mike during that tour as well....

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dave mentions bass players trying out for the job in the "Reunion Blues" chapter. Mike's the goat.

If ya can't beat 'em...
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-29-2015 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Casemeister View Post
    For a band like VH, that cannot and will not happen.

This is weird... I just noticed your sig... I've been listening to Waylon stuff like crazy for the last month or so (Willie and Jessi included !) a treasure lost. I still get chills with the opening line of 'I've always been crazy". I guess like a lot of us, I totally relate !
    Last edited by BenJammin; 08-31-2013 at 10:04 PM.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2015 @ 08:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I have often wondered about this. For starters, I believe Sammy's prime motivation was money and the promotion of HIS name, or brand. It's often been said that he is as much a business man as he is a musician. So once finances were solved, he would have signed anything to get back in VH, even allowing the brothers complete control. Just look at the total lack of effort to prepare for the Van Hagar tour and for the recording of those three horrible new songs, as an indicator of Sammy's willingness to go along with anything, so his name can again be attached to the 'Van Halen' name. In the end, Sammy got what he deserved.

As for the original plan - a CVH reunion - Dave's contractual demands would have been much greater and would have centred on not only money but creative issues. In other words...Dave cared about Van Halen's legacy, he has a more 'romantic' view of the band's history and he wanted to do it right. However, I doubt Eddie and Alex were ready to meet those demands in 2000. The hurt and bitterness of the 1985 break-up had not been dealt with on a real personal level and when it came down to the nitty-gritty of contracts, money, status within the band etc...the old anger surfaced and it fell apart. We know they jammed, wrote and recorded some tunes, made tentative plans for a tour...but I believe Eddie and Alex were not prepared to give any ground at that time.

In contrast, in 2011 I think it was the VHND that reported Dave was a full-fledged member of the band with equal voting rights, and The Hollwood Reporter published a story about the recording of what became known as ADKOT, going into detail about the switching of labels and the brother's determination to accommodate Dave's wishes in this area.

So there seems to have been a huge shift with the brother's attitudes from 2000 to 2006. I suppose the tour with Sammy would have been a reality check.
    Last edited by Halen High; 09-02-2013 at 03:16 AM.

33. 3 users say thank you to Halen High for this KICKASS post:

BenJammin (09-12-2013),DavidLeeNatra (09-04-2013),DLR Bridge (09-02-2013)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,402 Times in 6,057 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatArtGuy View Post
    You play everything a step down, you don't loosen the strings.
    That's not possible, especially for Van Halen music.

For a start you would need to retire every song that had a low E in it which is probably most of them.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post

For a start you would need to retire every song that had a low E in it which is probably most of them.
    I know. That's why I said, "unless."

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post

That's what I thought.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Halen High View Post
    In contrast, in 2011 I think it was the VHND that reported Dave was a full-fledged member of the band with equal voting rights, and The Hollwood Reporter published a story about the recording of what became known as ADKOT, going into detail about the switching of labels and the brother's determination to accommodate Dave's wishes in this area.

So there seems to have been a huge shift with the brother's attitudes from 2000 to 2006. I suppose the tour with Sammy would have been a reality check.
    Well put. It's always impossible to tell what they're thinking. I can't help but think that they wish they could have both Dave and Sam going at the time. We all see it as two completely different bands, but I'll bet they don't. Even if Ed publicly reacted poorly to Sam's shitty book, the music on the 4 Van Hagar albums still might be something the he'd like to play again. His son even praised Balance not long ago. There will never be any clear cut way to determine what we're in store for over the course of the next 5 or 10 years. How will this entire cast of loons (- Wolf. He's got more time) ultimately ride off into the sunset?

I almost forgot all of that "keep their front man happy" talk at the time of the 11th hour Interscope signing. The details of that deal are not public knowledge, right? As far as I know, VH doesn't even owe them another record. Maybe they do.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2015 @ 08:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Well put. It's always impossible to tell what they're thinking. I can't help but think that they wish they could have both Dave and Sam going at the time. We all see it as two completely different bands, but I'll bet they don't. Even if Ed publicly reacted poorly to Sam's shitty book, the music on the 4 Van Hagar albums still might be something the he'd like to play again. His son even praised Balance not long ago. There will never be any clear cut way to determine what we're in store for over the course of the next 5 or 10 years. How will this entire cast of loons (- Wolf. He's got more time) ultimately ride off into the sunset?

I almost forgot all of that "keep their front man happy" talk at the time of the 11th hour Interscope signing. The details of that deal are not public knowledge, right? As far as I know, VH doesn't even owe them another record. Maybe they do.
    Sammy is too old now. I think he turns 67 this year? So he'd be 68-70 for a possible return. I'd be shocked if the brothers forgave him for his book and I don't believe Eddie wanted to work with him in 2004 either, one of the reasons for his bizarre behaviour. But yeah...you never know with these guys.

I reckon they've had a plan to take the band out on a high since 2007 with this line-up. One thing that could derail it though is Eddie and Dave writing fresh material together... it's something Dave wants and it could lead to problems.

Here is the link to the Hollywood Reporter story:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...records-260692
    Last edited by Halen High; 09-02-2013 at 06:13 PM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,504 Posts

Blog Entries
    In terms of the tuning, a good chunk of the CVH tunes were played in E flat, with some of them having the low E string dropped down to D or D flat (Unchained is an example). So the band were already a half step down from standard to begin with. Dropping the onstage tuning down another quarter or half step is possible, but the more the band tunes down the less the songs sound like they should.
    Also, it's really not necessary. Dave just has to stop yelling and start singing. For whatever reason, Dave has it in his head that his strained mid-range shouting voice sounds good (possibly because nobody has told him otherwise). It's within his current capabilities to sing DTNA in the key it was originally recorded. Same goes for most of the other tunes in the set. He's just inserting that yelling in place of the screams and high notes he can't hit anymore as some sort of compensation. But he doesn't need to compensate. Just sing the tunes minus the yelling and it'll sound fine.

40. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (09-02-2013)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    All I can say is I'm glad there was some degree of quality control for the 2007 tour: if the request came from the promoters as a result of the 2004 tour, or Azoff, or originated within the band, Ed going to rehab for a few months in early 2007 was obviously needed. It didn't prevent Ed from relapsing halfway through THAT tour, but the overall end result was miles above what surfaced on the 2004 tour.
    I can accept some of what Sam says in terms of Eddie sort of conning him into thinking that [Ed] was gonna get his shit together for the 2004 tour, but even if Hagar looks at making rock music as product he should have realized Ed wasn't in any sort of condition to produce decent product. By Hagar's own admission, Ed was unable to get through a single rehearsal of the entire set prior to the tour starting, and Ed was often unable to remember how to play the tunes during these rehearsals. Hagar kind of deluded himself that the tour was gonna turn out okay in spite of these clear warning signs, and once it started to shit the bed he was unable to back out without being on the hook for a lot of money re: cancellation fees.
    Hagar certainly likes the money, but being associated with that tour was something he clearly (as well he should) feels embarrassed about. As to if Hagar is too old to tour with Van Halen now, well, I had no interest in seeing Van Hagar in 1985, either...so it matters not to me if they reform again.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Re: Dave's voice..

To your point Terry, have you heard any of the Japan bootlegs? Dave really sounded great, IMO. If he continues doing that I think we'll be more than happy with the results on a 2014 tour.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The 2004 tour was definitely history for the wrong reasons.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, Dave with the blonde hair and Eddie looking like the shrunken' head in Beetlejuice w/camoflague shorts, and Mike & Dave passing around the JD would have been fuckin' great. That would have been called the "Stopped Giving a Fuck" tour.

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-23-2020 @ 03:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks

29336cf4.jpg

In hidsight, it's good DLR didnt hook up with them back then, since EVH was reportably troubled. This was a good thing, as it ruined the Van Hagar era for good, and now we have a long lasting reunion.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    Re: Dave's voice..

To your point Terry, have you heard any of the Japan bootlegs? Dave really sounded great, IMO. If he continues doing that I think we'll be more than happy with the results on a 2014 tour.
    I have. He sounded somewhat better than he did in Tampa in 2012, although in both cases for me it wasn't necessarily that he sounded terrible from start-to-finish. In Tampa 2012 he hit the right notes about 50% of the time, then the remainder he sung either in that exaggerated low register he uses or yelled. But the odd part is that he wasn't going for the lower octaves or yelling during parts in songs that originally had that dog whistle/barefoot on hot coals shriek, and he wasn't changing it up as a way to compensate for not being able to hit those high-pitched screams anymore. It was almost as if he was doing it out of either boredom or because he thought it sounded good.

Like, Dave doesn't need to yell out the verses of (Oh)Pretty Woman. It's well within his current capabilities, and it sounds goddamned awful being shouted rather than sung.

I will say that if the setlist changes up a bit from 2012 and Eddie is still playing well, I'd probably go see 'em again. If it's the same setlist and Dave is still approaching the vocals the same way as last time around, no thanks.

Thread Information