Thread: Worst Opening Band You've Endured

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2021 @ 11:13 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Zinatra opening for Dave
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,491 Posts

Blog Entries
    The one act that really stuck out as being totally out of place was David Johansen opening up for Aerosmith in 1985. Johansen and his band just weren't playing music at that show that was even in the same vein as Aerosmith; he wasn't in his Buster Poindexter phase quite yet, but it was sort of teetering towards a lounge act-style of rock and it didn't go over well at all. People were chucking beer bottles at him and his band about three songs into their set. I will say that the audience was pretty fucked up. This was the Done With Mirrors tour, back before Aerosmith sold out with all those weepy power ballads, and Aerosmith's audience were basically a bunch of burnout chicks who wanted to fuck Steven Tyler and burnout guys who wanted to get drunk, stoned and punch someone. There were a bunch of fistfights on the floor during both Johansen's and Aerosmith's sets, and at one point I saw someone swinging what looked to be a pretty thick piece of chain around, using it as a weapon.

Johansen was the worst. Have seen a bunch of lame opening bands, though. Saw Black N' Blue open up for KISS in 1985. They were very lame (then again, so was KISS that night). Saw Autograph open up for Van Halen in 1984. Their album hadn't come out yet, so nobody even knew who the fuck they were, and they sounded terrible. Saw Quiet Riot open up for Black Sabbath in 1983, and they were pretty underwhelming.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    There were a bunch of fistfights on the floor during both Johansen's and Aerosmith's sets, and at one point I saw someone swinging what looked to be a pretty thick piece of chain around, using it as a weapon.
    Wow, that's pretty crazy! Where was that show? Sounds like security had their hands full that night. Would that be the worst show you've been to in terms of crowd mayhem?

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-05-2021 @ 09:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The Fools opening for Van Halen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fools

"Kick his ass Seabass.."
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-19-2018 @ 11:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks

The Clash opening for The Who in 82......

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-07-2013 @ 10:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Bon Jovi at Super Rock in Japan 1984. I don't remember if they came on first or not but no one in the crowd knew who they were or any of their songs. Jon kept asking if the crowd wanted to hear Runaway before they played it. He got ZERO response from the crowd. Pretty funny.
    Whitesnake was great when they came on on that night. But the groups that stole the show that day were MSG and the Scorpions and they both played during the afternoon.
    Last edited by baru911; 09-07-2013 at 08:59 AM.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by baru911 View Post
    Bon Jovi at Super Rock in Japan 1984. I don't remember if they came on first or not but no one in the crowd knew who they were or any of their songs. Jon kept asking if the crowd wanted to hear Runaway before they played it. He got ZERO response from the crowd. Pretty funny.
    Whitesnake was great when they came on on that night. But the groups that stole the show that day were MSG and the Scorpions and they both played during the afternoon.
    Pretty sure Anvil opened that festival....

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,565 Times in 3,450 Posts

Half the bands on The Monster's of Rock Tour...

And oh yeah, Van Hagar sucked too with Sammy saying something about each of the Van Halens being pissed...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,491 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    Wow, that's pretty crazy! Where was that show? Sounds like security had their hands full that night. Would that be the worst show you've been to in terms of crowd mayhem?
    Oh, certainly in terms of a violent vibe. We were sitting in the lower arena seating, slightly elevated from the floor seating, which is where the fighting took place. It was pretty scary. Especially for a 15 year kid from the upper-middle class suburbs like myself: I'd never seen people rumbling like that before.

The only other shows I've been to that stuck out in terms of crowd mayhem were seeing the Ramones in 1992. It was in an auditorium with no seats, and there was a ton of slam-dancing going on. With that old trend, usually the activity would be confined to a circular area in the middle of the floor, and if you wanted to get in on it you got into the circle. At this show, various assholes took it upon themselves to start slamming into people who clearly wanted not to be involved. One jagoff sucker-slammed me from behind as I was drinking a $5 beer. I turned around, punched him full-on in the face and sent him sprawling onto the floor. If you wanted to stand up front, you pushed your way to the front where a large barricade was erected between the audience and the stage. Me and my buds went up there for a few songs, but couldn't hack anymore than that because twenty feet behind us was where the slam-dancing was going on, and the push-back of people reeling backwards from the circle would cause everyone standing up front to get pushed into the barricades. Pushed to the point where we would get crushed if we had stayed there much longer. Another show that was memorable for a crazy crowd was seeing Black Sabbath in 1983. The crowd wasn't violent, but I've never seen so much open drug use. And hard drugs.

The wildest crowd I ever saw, but in an upbeat way, was at Billy Joel in 1985. Believe it or not. Just an arena full of people psyched to be there, slightly drunk, people stage-diving while Joel played.
    Last edited by Terry; 09-07-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-07-2013 @ 10:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Pretty sure Anvil opened that festival....
    Yes they did. I'd never heard of them. I saw a documentary about them talking about the show and how it should have caused them to leap to the front of the pack and become famous. For a bunch of reasons it didn't happen. Until that film I hadn't remembered them playing. Didn't make a big impression on me then and don't remember their set.

I like Whitesnake and am very happy that I saw them with Sykes on guitar. Speaking of Sykes I really liked Blue Murder. Just a band that ran under the radar. Just came out at the wrong time in musical history with the whole shift to grunge in our popular culture.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by baru911 View Post
    I like Whitesnake and am very happy that I saw them with Sykes on guitar. Speaking of Sykes I really liked Blue Murder. Just a band that ran under the radar. Just came out at the wrong time in musical history with the whole shift to grunge in our popular culture.
    They (Blue Murder) were good. Saw them in CT. in '89. I agree that the grunge movement ended up putting bands like this on ice. The Black Crowes were probably the only band to muscle their way through the grunge scene without switching up any. I'd bet Jane's Addiction probably would have weathered the grunge storm had they never broke up.

12. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

baru911 (09-07-2013)

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-03-2019 @ 10:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Worst - Snoop Dogg opening for the Red Hot Chili Peppers in 2003 (Charlotte). Terrible.

Best - Foo Fighters opening for the Red Hot Chili Peppers in 2000 (Charlotte).

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

I saw the Melvins open for NIN in about 1994, and they were absolute shit. How a fucking lame noise-band like that was able to land a slot on a major arena tour like that I will never know.

Guess whats-his-face was good at sucking cock or something.

I also saw Love/Hate open for AC/DC on the Razor's Edge tour, but they were phenomenal. It was at Long Beach arena, and I guess they were not fucked up that night, as they were great!

Thread Information