X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VHscraps
    Veteran
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
    The Elder was one that I considered, but then I had to think that I really didn't so much say WTF, as "This shit SUCKS!" when I first heard it.

Next album was Creatures of the Night- still with makeup.
    Ah - forgot that !

My mind zoomed straight to Lick It Up.
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• 78/84 guy
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by twonabomber
      Def Leppard, Slang. Different, but I don't think it's that bad.
      That's the album that came too mind for me before I clicked on the thread. But I think it sucked. Along with almost anything they have done since. How bout G' N R Lies ? Not what I expected but a cool album.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
        That's the album that came too mind for me before I clicked on the thread. But I think it sucked. Along with almost anything they have done since. How bout G' N R Lies ? Not what I expected but a cool album.
        If you wanted to go with a GnR album, I'd say "The Spaghetti Incident" fits even better.

A covers album, made up mostly of old punk rock songs, ending with a Charles Manson tune, of all fucking things. And it turned out to be the last actual Guns n Roses album, on top of all that. (No I don't count Chinese Hypocrisy, or anything else AxHole may or may not release in another 10 years)

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• 78/84 guy
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Apr 2005

True. I liked that album also. It was stripped down music after the bloated Illusion albums. I think the Manson song was at the end of Lies wasn't it ? Maybe both are not good choices for this thread. Lol. How bout Zep 3 ? I like some of it but as a whole it isn't a good Zep album at all.

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
            Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

How about Sabbath's "Technical Ecstacy"? Very different from their usual sound when it came out. Really no real doom and gloom. No downtuned songs. Bill Ward singing a song....

very good album though, IMO.
            Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
              Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Oh shit...one I should have thought about right off the bat- Alice Cooper "Flush the Fashion". Great album, but when I first heard "Clones" I couldn't believe it was him.
              Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Igosplut
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
                Oh shit...one I should have thought about right off the bat- Alice Cooper "Flush the Fashion". Great album, but when I first heard "Clones" I couldn't believe it was him.
                HA! Funny, I bought that cassette back in the day. I think that was his answer to the electronic music of the 80s...
                Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Monkeeman
                  Groupie
                  • Jul 2012

Neil Young - Trans

Neil using a vocoder and trying to sound like Kraftwerk.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Cheap Trick - The Doctor. Still a WTF album in my book. I think maybe half of one song grew on me. Glad they got that out of their system.

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                      Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

I'd say you could put about a dozen Frank Zappa albums on this list, except that you always pretty much expected to say WTF??? when you put the new one on.
                      Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Apr 2005

Joe Satriani Engines Of Creation was terrible ! He tried too do a techno album like Jeff Beck did on JEFF. It was a what the fuck moment for him. Beck somewhat pulled it off. Satriani hasn't come up with a truly great album since Crystal Planet.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Feb 2005

In 1979 I played the Black Sabbath song "All Moving Parts Stand Still" from the Technical Ecstasy album in a rock band I was in.

The biggest WTF moment came when Judas Priest released Turbo......the band I was in was looking forward to the next Priest record. We discussed immediately adding the first single to our set list. We figured it would be something kickass to blow the audience away.

*ahem*

I still rate it as my least favorite Priest album. They were so watered down. They had been headed in the right direction. British Steel followed by Screaming For Vengeance followed by Defenders Of The Faith.....thrash had hit big....I saw Metallica open for Ozzy that summer....the second show of the US tour that year.

So I was expecting Priest to move in an even heavier direction.

Boy was I wrong.

We ended up playing "Locked In". We figured that was the heaviest song on the album....but that's not saying a lot. They recovered somewhat on the album Ram It Down, though the low point was doing a cover of "Johnny B. Goode", and then Painkiller they were back where they should have been musically....but by this time they were also-rans.....bands like Slayer and all the thrash/death/speed metal bands that had arrived had pushed the boundaries of metal far beyond even where Priest is today.

Halford did the sensible thing.....the perfect thing in my opinion would be to have a good thrash band with Halford singing......and so he did that with Fight, lol. And Priest suffered in the songwriting department until Halford came back 10 years later, lol.

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                            In 1979 I played the Black Sabbath song "All Moving Parts Stand Still" from the Technical Ecstasy album in a rock band I was in.

The biggest WTF moment came when Judas Priest released Turbo......the band I was in was looking forward to the next Priest record. We discussed immediately adding the first single to our set list. We figured it would be something kickass to blow the audience away.

*ahem*

I still rate it as my least favorite Priest album. They were so watered down. They had been headed in the right direction. British Steel followed by Screaming For Vengeance followed by Defenders Of The Faith.....thrash had hit big....I saw Metallica open for Ozzy that summer....the second show of the US tour that year.

So I was expecting Priest to move in an even heavier direction.

Boy was I wrong.

We ended up playing "Locked In". We figured that was the heaviest song on the album....but that's not saying a lot. They recovered somewhat on the album Ram It Down, though the low point was doing a cover of "Johnny B. Goode", and then Painkiller they were back where they should have been musically....but by this time they were also-rans.....bands like Slayer and all the thrash/death/speed metal bands that had arrived had pushed the boundaries of metal far beyond even where Priest is today.

Halford did the sensible thing.....the perfect thing in my opinion would be to have a good thrash band with Halford singing......and so he did that with Fight, lol. And Priest suffered in the songwriting department until Halford came back 10 years later, lol.
                            Turbo was too slick by half: it wasn't so much that Priest were totally unrecognizable sound-wise on that album, but it was such a blatant effort to tone down the style and sound in order to have a somewhat broader appeal. Not as blatant as, say, Van Halen when Hagar joined up, but there's no denying a concerted effort was made.

I mean, to go from Point Of Entry to Screaming For Vengeance to Defenders Of The Faith to...Turbo? Considering the chronology of the recordings, by the time Turbo came around Priest were capitulating to the softer, more mid 80's "MTV-friendly" sound to a degree. And in the end I don't necessarily think [Turbo] got them that many more new fans than compared with the amount of previous fans who were put off by the album.

Still, I'd much rather listen to Turbo than anything from Twisted Sister, Poison, Bon Jovi or any of the other bands that broke big on MTV from 1985 onwards.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Turbo is when I gave up on Judas Priest. Even Defenders of the Faith was somewhat of a disappointment after Screaming For Vengeance, but Turbo made them just another synth pop band.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Hardrock69
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Feb 2005

I hate the mix on Defenders Of The Faith. I have ranted about it on other occasions here, lol. The songs were heavy, but the mix did not reflect it. You can barely hear the drums. And they sound like shit.

Priest....a synth-pop band, lol.

Comment

Working...