• Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

12 Photos Prove That Everyone Wants To Be A Rockstar

You can see all 12 at the link, but this one is for us:

Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

They should have left it a top 10 list, because the last two pictures have NOTHING to do with rock stars.

And even Bon Jovi, or any Rod Stewart picture after 1975 is questionable........
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• VHscraps
      Veteran
      • Jul 2009

Call me anal, but my big gripe with the way these old photos are presented is the lack detail / context. Zlozower's books, while stuffed with great shots, have zero information about where/when they were taken, and instead have a lot of uninteresting testimonies from 3rd division hair bands etc.

Anyhow, I know these London Rainbow pics well - by Fin Costello and taken October 1978.

This was Van Halen's return swing thru London to headline, after opening for Sabbath at the Hammersmith Odeon earlier in the year.

More here - http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/...hoto/115966168
      THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Igosplut
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Nice stuff on that link.
        Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
          http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3837454.html

To me that pic sums up Van Halen perfectly. Eddie smiling, always smiling & happy. Burning that guitar like no one else.

And Dave being Dave, a showoff, cocksure, Adonis with real tiger blood, and absolutely no fear/
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jul 2004

Mick Jagger must be seen live to truly understand his genius and charisma and magnetism. I always hated him....until I saw him. Wow. Fan for life now.
            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Zing!
              Veteran
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by VHscraps
              Call me anal, but my big gripe with the way these old photos are presented is the lack detail / context. Zlozower's books, while stuffed with great shots, have zero information about where/when they were taken, and instead have a lot of uninteresting testimonies from...
              Yeah... I'm going to go ahead and have to agree with this. I thought I was the only one who thought this. I would have have preferred much more precise, exact info of each pic in Zloz's =VH= books. Cue Bob in What About Bob: "I Want! I Want! I need! I need!"

What I don't want is some hair band twanger's opinion. What I do need is what Zloz had for breakfast that day, what booze he had for lunch, what F-stop his camera was at, what cut of blow he snorted, and who nailed who after the shoot was done.
              My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• BenJammin
                Foot Soldier
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3837454.html

A stellar and epic moment in time. But this image brings up an obvious contrast in my mind... and sorry to say his name... so i won't... but the 'one who shall not be mentioned' never had those kind of moves and stage persona. But I do remember him in his solo years yelling at his stage crew to bring down a boom to let him climb up the lighting trusses... which he finally did... it was ~so~ impressive dang he was such a douche then and looking back even more so.
                Last edited by BenJammin; 08-31-2013, 12:24 AM.
                "Money can't buy poverty." -Marty Feldman

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

That reminds me, I'm playing at a bar in Glasgow tonight if anyone is around...

Comment

• VHscraps
                    Veteran
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Zing!
                    Yeah... I'm going to go ahead and have to agree with this. I thought I was the only one who thought this. I would have have preferred much more precise, exact info of each pic in Zloz's =VH= books. Cue Bob in What About Bob: "I Want! I Want! I need! I need!"

What I don't want is some hair band twanger's opinion. What I do need is what Zloz had for breakfast that day, what booze he had for lunch, what F-stop his camera was at, what cut of blow he snorted, and who nailed who after the shoot was done.
                    Yeah - that level of detail is called for Zing, cos in the case of Zloz, he was quite often there living it up with the bands he was shooting.

I can only guess that his memory is fried, or he doesn't want to open the door on what x, y, or z was doing backstage etc. I did get to speak to him once, and I thought both of those things were why we ended up with great photos accompanied by "the first time I heard Van Halen"-type reminiscences from, e.g., a guitarist from Faster Pussycat or whatever.
                    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Carloscda
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by sadaist
                      To me that pic sums up Van Halen perfectly. Eddie smiling, always smiling & happy. Burning that guitar like no one else.

And Dave being Dave, a showoff, cocksure, Adonis with real tiger blood, and absolutely no fear/
                      I said something similar on FB when they were talking about Sam.

I said there's no one like Dave and they'll never be! I said for proof just watch Metal Mania and you'll see how so many tried to be like Dave! Who do you know that were doing 10ft jumps off of Drum risers and all the other acrobatics Dave did?!!

This dude puts some wack picture up of Sam jumping in the air saying Sam can jump to & with a guitar. I was like dude are you serous my 8yr old nephew could do the same!

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                        Mick Jagger must be seen live to truly understand his genius and charisma and magnetism. I always hated him....until I saw him. Wow. Fan for life now.
                        Whatever misgivings I have about the Rolling Stones these days, I will say that when I saw them in 1989 in Foxboro Stadium, Jagger had complete command of the entire audience (whatever the capacity of Foxboro is - 50k? 60k? 70k? It's where the New England Patriots play), and there aren't that many rock frontmen who can take command of a stadium-sized audience to that degree.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Igosplut
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                          Whatever misgivings I have about the Rolling Stones these days, I will say that when I saw them in 1989 in Foxboro Stadium, Jagger had complete command of the entire audience (whatever the capacity of Foxboro is - 50k? 60k? 70k? It's where the New England Patriots play), and there aren't that many rock frontmen who can take command of a stadium-sized audience to that degree.

I saw then there on the voodoo lounge tour, and I have to say it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Really far and away from any thing I'd seen before.
                          Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
                            Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

What I love about the VH photo out of that dozen is that EVERY other photo shows the fans defining the artist - only Eddie and Dave stand alone.

Oh dear.

Comment

• Igosplut
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Sensible Shoes
                              What I love about the VH photo out of that dozen is that EVERY other photo shows the fans defining the artist - only Eddie and Dave stand alone.
                              Yea, aint that the truth....
                              Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

Working...