David Lee Roth Better Than Robert Plant Singing Live???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

David Lee Roth Better Than Robert Plant Singing Live???

From Classic Metal Radio

Not positive.

I discovers an interview with David Lee Roth from Friday with Jim Norton and Jim Florentine.
    During the interview, Norton, Florentine and Roth all talk about music. During the conversation, David Lee Roth talks about bands that didn’t keep their voices in shape and aren’t strong live. Roth references Robert Plant. The guys pull audio from the show they were at where Roth was terrible.
  • VHscraps
    Veteran
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    From Classic Metal Radio

Not positive.
    I refuse to listen to these puerile, competitive "who's better" things, but nonetheless feel compelled to repeat what I have said on here many times. i.e., one of the reasons Van Halen stood out then nd now is David Lee Roth. He wasn't trying to be a great singer - whatever that is (hey, is Plant as good live as Pavarotti?) - or be one of those identikit heavy metal screechers. He was projecting Dave - he was being himself.

In that, he was like Dylan, John Lydon, Leonard Cohen - and not many others who can be no other than who they are.

Plant was a great singer - but he sang American much of the time, aped the blues, etc.

Dave is authentic. He's never pretending to be anything other than who he is. He has a great 'voice' in that it is indelibly stamped with his personality.
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It's not about that so much.

They take huge offence at Dave implying that Robert Plant can't sing any more and then take a recent performance to bits.

Comment

• Angel
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        It's not about that so much.

They take huge offence at Dave implying that Robert Plant can't sing any more and then take a recent performance to bits.
        Has Dave not listened to himself? We all know he tortured a few songs last tour.
        "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Nov 2004

Once again, Dave's voice just kicked ass back in 2007-08.
          Then maybe he failed keeping his voice fit - rather than lost it I believe -,
          which is sad because it's obvious on quite a few songs and quite often.

Less martial arts, more vocal practice?...

Anyway, those guys on the radio go too far and sound like cunts.
          Listening to them pissed me off, but there's one point I think is right
          behind all that, looks like Dave should set back to a little training.
          Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 09-04-2013, 09:30 AM.
          posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
          posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Apr 2005

Sadly some of what they say is true IMO. They get a little carried away with the fact that Dave used Plant as a reference too make a point. I think he just used the first old song that popped in his head. But hey, I agree with these guy's that Dave should be looking in the mirror or listening too the live tape's from the last 2 years. He doesn't sound good and if you read stuff on You Tube or even here people know it. So he should watch what he say's. Maybe he has no clue that he hasn't delivered like in 07/08. But in this day and age he must know he has been getting slammed lately. If he isn't better next time out Van Halen can go away IMO. Why tour with a guy that can't sing that good anymore ?

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

I don't think Dave was thinking about Plant as much as making a quick general point, which got cherry picked, taken out of context, and gave someone something to babble about to feel better about himself.

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
                Once again, Dave's voice just kicked ass back in 2007-08.
                Well he had something to prove in 2007. In 2012 he was already in the band ..
                Like the married guy that lets his gut grow after the deal's sealed.
                I think some of his improvs on the melodies are cool, but given a choice I'd prefer he did it like the record.

Comment

• diamondclaudio
                  Roadie
                  • Jan 2004

Còn guys, I think Dave is singing good this year, just watch the Japan show. His performance si brilliant. He´s almost 60!!!

Comment

• sadaist
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jul 2004

Isn't it fucking awesome we are discussing how good/bad David Lee Roth is singing with Van Halen? Ten years ago we never would have thought....
                    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Obviously both of them have lost vocal abilities due to age, tobacco, alcohol, or whatever, but in the end, I think Dave's voice has held up better than Plant's, comparitively speaking.

Where Plant has the advantage though, is that he accepts that he can no longer hit certain notes and adjusts his songs accordingly, while Dave tries to push the higher octaves, even those that he never did on the original records, and that's where he hits the ugly notes. The one drawback of 1998's DLR Band album (apart from the bargain basement production) is when 43 year old Dave tried to sing notes that the 23 year old Dave never even thought of back in 1978, and the results were somewhat ugly (Relentless, for example, which was otherwise a great song)

Dave has learned how to do the songs without his trademark screams (just as Plant has) but now he just has to adjust his singing voice accordingly. And I'm still not sure what the fuck the air conditioners had to do with any of it, but if that's a factor, they should just play outdoor venues in the summer.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
                        Well he had something to prove in 2007. In 2012 he was already in the band ..
                        Like the married guy that lets his gut grow after the deal's sealed.
                        I think some of his improvs on the melodies are cool, but given a choice I'd prefer he did it like the record.
                        Exactly. It seems that he has given up on training - safe karate.
                        And as far as singing like on the record... it would be simpler for him, even...
                        Those lines he sings higher than needed are embarrassing.
                        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                          Isn't it fucking awesome we are discussing how good/bad David Lee Roth is singing with Van Halen? Ten years ago we never would have thought....
                          Indeed... it hurts!

That said, we would never have thought 5 - or even 4, 3 or 2 - years ago either.

Comment

• big fatty
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Jul 2004

I knew this was coming, from last week when I heard the podcast.

Plant is a bad example for Roth to use. Very, very, very, very, very, very, bad. Not a good analogy at all. I dont think Plant even does Stairway any more. Last time in 07.

I assume many dont hear these podcasts, as they are so long, but he just opened up a can of worms by discussing his voice and vaugely referancing Robert Plant.

But he didnt say anything that bad, just made some breakfast suggestions.
                            Last edited by big fatty; 09-04-2013, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I believe and have seen first hand that Dave also suffers a bit from people like these by not being one of the guys backstage and hanging around with the journalists and liggers.

He keeps himself apart and then these guys have a few drinks and go from being desperate to have a picture taken with him to almost saying 'who does that guy think he is anyway?'

With their noses out of joint and Dave's voice being a bit off then the barbs start...

Comment

Working...