David Lee Roth Better Than Robert Plant Singing Live???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 78/84 guy
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    I believe and have seen first hand that Dave also suffers a bit from people like these by not being one of the guys backstage and hanging around with the journalists and liggers.

He keeps himself apart and then these guys have a few drinks and go from being desperate to have a picture taken with him to almost saying 'who does that guy think he is anyway?'

With their noses out of joint and Dave's voice being a bit off then the barbs start...
    To be honest and I will get savaged for it probably. I thought it was kind of lame of Dave on the Sam & Dave tour to not want anything to do with Hagar back stage. I remember the MTV special they did on it, Hag was just looking to hang out and have a drink or B.S. and Dave's hiding in his bus. I get the whole I'm better than you thing on stage, but backstage why not just hang out and have fun. Anthony said the same thing about him. They talked a few times but Dave was always in hiding. Whatever, Dave does what he wants I guess.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Apr 2005

As far as what these guy's are saying who really gives a shit. They sure as hell don't have good taste in music. Saying A. D.K.O.T. is basically worthless is a joke. No not the 6 pack but still strong. So fuck em'

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

To be fair I don't blame Roth for not hanging out with Hagar on that tour. Hagar had been throwing shit at him for 20 years plus Hagar is a dick.

The irony of all this was their bands got on together well while for everyone else it was like the Cold War backstage.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

To be fair I don't blame Roth for not hanging out with Hagar on that tour. Hagar had been throwing shit at him for 20 years plus Hagar is a dick.

The irony of all this was their bands got on together well while for everyone else it was like the Cold War backstage.

Pojo and I were at the Raleigh show, both bands went at it backstage....
          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Really?

I know there were a few major incidents as the tour went on but Ray told me the bands themselves got on fine.

He's probably saving the good stuff for his book...

Comment

• 78/84 guy
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Apr 2005

True ! Way to set me straight !

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

Really?

I know there were a few major incidents as the tour went on but Ray told me the bands themselves got on fine.

He's probably saving the good stuff for his book...

Oh yeah, we heard about it a day or two after... Probably two since we got so fucking hammered at the show...
                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• minkahed
                  Roadie
                  • Jan 2012

Great, just one more excuse for the mental midgets to have a field day with Roth over the internet.

Maybe this won't leak to bad since these idiots barely have an audience to begin with, but I wish Dave had watched his tongue with any involuntary misrepresentation of Robert Plant.

Geez, of all people ...
                  Hot dog and a shake

Comment

• Igosplut
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                    Pojo and I were at the Raleigh show, both bands went at it backstage....
                    Shit, I'm never in the right place at the right time.............fuck
                    Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Kristy
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Dupe thread. Roth could never sing.

At least Hobbit boy tried.

Comment

• Igosplut
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                        Dupe thread. Roth could never sing.

At least Hobbit boy tried.
                        If you were there, Roth sang just fine. Hobbit boy (love the handle) just screeched......
                        Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• fraroc
                          Commando
                          • Jun 2012

The guys doing this fucking podcast are a bunch of fucking
                          How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• Igosplut
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

You know pretty much that the guys in the bands got along good, they had no reason not to.

Brothers in arms so to speak. Most of the anxst comes from the priniciples of the band that thought they were about the common herd......
                            Last edited by Igosplut; 09-08-2013, 09:24 PM.
                            Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

I'd agree in a general way that "who is better" comparisons are pointless to a degree, particularly when you're talking about two singers from two different bands. Even more so when discussing someone like Robert Plant, who is a proper singer, as compared to David Lee Roth, with whom singing was only a part of his overall frontman approach. In more than a few cases, half the time Roth wasn't even engaging in what I'd call singing on Van Halen albums. The verses to Hang 'Em High spring to mind, where he's basically speaking his way through the lyrics as much as anything else.
                              A relevant point was also brought up in an earlier reply that Plant really hasn't and currently doesn't engage in trying to approximate 'The Led Zeppelin Experience' on various solo tours. Many of the Zeppelin songs he does essay live are reinterpreted stylistically (partially to accomodate aging vocal cords, to be sure), but overall Plant's contemporary undertakings don't really resemble the things he was doing in Led Zeppelin. In that respect, who can say if Plant's voice has held up better or worse than Roth's? Plant doesn't have as static a through-line from what he was doing in the 1970s to now as Roth does with his work in Van Halen then vs.now to even make a meaningful contrast.
                              Both of them have suffered declining abilities to various degrees. I would say that with Plant's last Zeppelin appearance several years back, Plant made conservative and sensible concessions to his age when approaching the vocals that Roth would do well to learn a trick or two from. In point of fact, Roth was approaching his vocals in a similar manner on the 2007/2008 tour, and his performance was all the better for it. I mean, the Zeppelin O2 show was hardly a case of Plant yelling out lyrics in a key he was clearly uncomfortable with, thus making the songs sound strange and off-putting at times on the vocal front. Sadly, the same can't be said of Roth's 2012 approach, and although the tactic seems to have lessened somewhat on the 2013 performances it is still there to the degree that some songs are just sounding goddamn awful.
                              Last edited by Terry; 09-08-2013, 09:56 PM.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• BenJammin
                                Foot Soldier
                                • Feb 2004

Lots of good comments here. Basically Dave jumped the shark with that comment although I'm pretty sure we all can get diarrhea of the mouth when bs'ing for hours.

Very bad implied target of what was an off-the-cuff remark not necessarily aimed at Plant in particular. He just picked a universally known lyric and demonstrated how it could be potentially butchered.

I would like to choose to believe that Dave has the highest respect for Planty, as he and everyone in this plane of existence should !

But is he aware of how he has butchered his own songs and how hypocritically that remark may have been perceived ? In Dave's mind... probably not related at all.
                                Last edited by BenJammin; 09-10-2013, 11:54 PM.
                                "Money can't buy poverty." -Marty Feldman

Comment

Working...