ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts

Van Halen on Rolling Stone Greatest 100 Debut Albums List

It was fifty years ago that the Beatles’ released their first album, Please Please Me. In honor of that world-changing LP, we’ve compiled a list of the 100 Greatest Debut Albums of All Time. A note on how we made the list: Albums got docked points if the artist went on to far greater achievements (which is why Please, Please Me and Greetings from Asbury Park, great as they are, didn't made the top ten); conversely, we gave a little extra recognition to great debut albums that the artist never matched (hello, Is This It and Illmatic!). We also skipped solo debuts by artists who were already in well-known bands, which is why you won’t see John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band or Paul Simon. We focused, instead, on debuts that gave you the thrill of an act arriving fully-formed, ready to reinvent the world in its own image.

Van Halen
    Warner Bros. 1978

The strutting frontman as spandex-clad love machine, the finger-flying guitar hero, the kegstand rhythm section: Van Halen was the ultimate party band and their debut feels like the Eighties arriving two years ahead of schedule. Tunes like the fist pumping "Runnin' With the Devil," the muscular "Atomic Punk," a thunderous cover of "You Really Got Me" and "Ain’t Talkin' 'Bout Love" put the show-biz swagger back in hard rock, and Eddie Van Halen's jaw-dropping technique raised the bar for six-string pyrotechnics, particularly on "Eruption," the solo that launched a thousand dudes messing around at Guitar Center.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...#ixzz2fl3cBAvG
    Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 09-23-2013 at 06:49 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

SunisinuS (09-23-2013)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And here is Rolling Stone's original review of Van Halen 1 back in the day.

By Charles M. Young
    May 4, 1978

Mark my words: in three years, Van Halen is going to be fat and self-indulgent and disgusting, and they'll follow Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin right into the toilet. In the meantime, they are likely to be a big deal. Their cover of the Kinks' "You Really Got Me" does everything right, and they have three or four other cuts capable of jumping out of the radio the same way "Feels like the First Time" and "More than a Feeling" did amid all the candyass singer/songwriters and Shaun Cassidy-ass twits.

Van Halen's secret is not doing anything that's original while having the hormones to do it better than all those bands who have become fat and self-indulgent and disgusting. Edward Van Halen has mastered the art of lead/rhythm guitar in the tradition of Jimmy Page and Joe Walsh; several riffs on this record beat anything Aerosmith has come up with in years. Vocalist Dave Lee Roth manages the rare hard-rock feat of infusing the largely forgettable lyrics with energy and not sounding like a castrato at the same time. Drummer Alex Van Halen and bassist Michael Anthony are competent and properly unobtrusive.

These guys also have the good sense not to cut their hair or sing about destroying a hopelessly corrupt society on their first album. That way, hopelessly corrupt radio programmers will play their music.

Root Boy Slim and the Sex Change Band with the Rootettes, on the other hand, are already fat and self-indulgent and disgusting. This is a good thing because, in bypassing artistic maturity for immediate decadence, they have the distinction of being the first rock band in history to complain that their trusses are slipping ("My Wig Fell Off"). Oddly enough, they are also a good rock band. You would expect they'd be just clowns with a repertoire like "Heartbreak of Psoriasis" and "Too Sick to Reggae," but this outfit can play blues-based rock with anybody. Gary Katz, of Steely Dan fame, has produced a clean and eminently listenable instrumental sound while retaining the uniqueness of the Root's voice, which resonates like an emphysema victim vomiting inside the Goodyear blimp (check out "Boogie 'til You Puke").

All in their thirties, Root Boy and the rest can hardly be defined as New Wave. They are, however, part of the general movement of lunacy and satire that is shaking up the music industry. A lot of people thought the Sex Pistols were going to blaze the trail into the Top Ten, but the real breakthrough was Randy Newman's "Short People." Parliament/Funkadelic is having a similar psychological effect in black music. Like these two acts and unlike the punks, Root Boy Slim and the Sex Change Band are both humorously and musically accessible. Their stance as over-the-hill wimps is just unthreatening enough that hopelessly corrupt radio programmers might play their music. I hope so.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/al...#ixzz2fl6NZGQT

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,297 Times in 4,722 Posts

If he had said "in eight years" instead of "in three years", it would have been an accurate enough statement.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2017 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    And here is Rolling Stone's original review of Van Halen 1 back in the day.

By Charles M. Young
    May 4, 1978

Mark my words: in three years, Van Halen is going to be fat and self-indulgent and disgusting, and they'll follow Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin right into the toilet. In the meantime, they are likely to be a big deal. Their cover of the Kinks' "You Really Got Me" does everything right, and they have three or four other cuts capable of jumping out of the radio the same way "Feels like the First Time" and "More than a Feeling" did amid all the candyass singer/songwriters and Shaun Cassidy-ass twits.

Van Halen's secret is not doing anything that's original while having the hormones to do it better than all those bands who have become fat and self-indulgent and disgusting. Edward Van Halen has mastered the art of lead/rhythm guitar in the tradition of Jimmy Page and Joe Walsh; several riffs on this record beat anything Aerosmith has come up with in years. Vocalist Dave Lee Roth manages the rare hard-rock feat of infusing the largely forgettable lyrics with energy and not sounding like a castrato at the same time. Drummer Alex Van Halen and bassist Michael Anthony are competent and properly unobtrusive.

These guys also have the good sense not to cut their hair or sing about destroying a hopelessly corrupt society on their first album. That way, hopelessly corrupt radio programmers will play their music.

Root Boy Slim and the Sex Change Band with the Rootettes, on the other hand, are already fat and self-indulgent and disgusting. This is a good thing because, in bypassing artistic maturity for immediate decadence, they have the distinction of being the first rock band in history to complain that their trusses are slipping ("My Wig Fell Off"). Oddly enough, they are also a good rock band. You would expect they'd be just clowns with a repertoire like "Heartbreak of Psoriasis" and "Too Sick to Reggae," but this outfit can play blues-based rock with anybody. Gary Katz, of Steely Dan fame, has produced a clean and eminently listenable instrumental sound while retaining the uniqueness of the Root's voice, which resonates like an emphysema victim vomiting inside the Goodyear blimp (check out "Boogie 'til You Puke").

All in their thirties, Root Boy and the rest can hardly be defined as New Wave. They are, however, part of the general movement of lunacy and satire that is shaking up the music industry. A lot of people thought the Sex Pistols were going to blaze the trail into the Top Ten, but the real breakthrough was Randy Newman's "Short People." Parliament/Funkadelic is having a similar psychological effect in black music. Like these two acts and unlike the punks, Root Boy Slim and the Sex Change Band are both humorously and musically accessible. Their stance as over-the-hill wimps is just unthreatening enough that hopelessly corrupt radio programmers might play their music. I hope so.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/al...#ixzz2fl6NZGQT
    So much for the Kreskin (sp) above:

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 07:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Charles M. Young wrote one of the best - and longest - feature articles on Van Halen ever. For the now defunct Musician magazine, in 1984.

By then he was pretty damn close to calling VH the greatest band there was ... I still have the issue. 'Tis this one ...

7. Thanked VHscraps for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-24-2013)

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

particularly on "Eruption," the solo that launched a thousand dudes messing around at Guitar Center.

Ermm......there was more than 1,000 dudes trying it just in San Diego. O_o

9. Thanked sadaist for this KICKASS post:

Terry (09-24-2013)

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-17-2015 @ 12:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    ... I still have the issue. 'Tis this one ...]
    Godamnit! I used to have that very issue! Just another piece of CVH arcana that disappeared into the void. A great read as I remember, and one that made me first start to seriously wonder, even as a numbskull teen, that there were cracks in the VH foundation...

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts

I still have that one. Always loved that cover.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    I still have that one. Always loved that cover.
    ... and when you think about it, there never was that many photos of just the two of them together offstage.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:49 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,062 Posts

Blog Entries
    Too bad that article on The Smiths was ruined by Ed and Dave being on the cover. Shame.

Belly Searcher
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 11:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Scans? Links? I really don't remember reading that one. Until I read it and say, "Oh, I remember this one!!"

Thanks.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Too bad that article on The Smiths was ruined by Ed and Dave being on the cover. Shame.
    God you bore me. Why are you still allowed on here ? I don't even look on here as much as I used too just because skipping over your bullshit in every fucking thread isn't worth the time ! Go piss people off at A Zeppelin website will ya!

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    I read a Q&A with The Smiths' Johnny Marr quite recently (well, maybe a couple of years ago now seeing as how time flies) in a UK magazine called Uncut, and it was one of those things where other well-known musicians ask questions of whoever the guest respondent is for any particular month.

In this issue Roddy Frame - whose band Aztec Camera covered VH's 'Jump' - asked Marr a question about Van Halen. It was something along the lines of, "how did you enjoy the Van Halen show in 1984 at MSG" - I think Frame had said that they had to go and see Van Halen - and Marr replied that he and the rest of The Smiths went to the show and they all thought it was ... brilliant ...

True. I've still got the thing in a pile of magazines somewhere ...

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    To be quite fair Johnny Marr smoked a lot of dope back in 1984. I'm sure when he was sober he recanted those words.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ah - maybe it was '85. No mention of Sam Hagar though.

1/2

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

2/2

I've had a few glasses of wine, so excuse the anal responses ... he must be referring to the '86 VH tour. He left The Smiths in 1987.

Last edited by VHscraps; 10-10-2013 at 08:52 PM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    I read a Q&A with The Smiths' Johnny Marr quite recently (well, maybe a couple of years ago now seeing as how time flies) in a UK magazine called Uncut, and it was one of those things where other well-known musicians ask questions of whoever the guest respondent is for any particular month.
    Throughout the 80s The Smiths felt like they were the opposite of Van Halen.

Ignoring the music Morrisey was and is a dick so you have to sympathize with the rest of the band.

21. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (10-10-2013)

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yep - totally opposite, that would be anybody's first perception. But it is strange the way these things come out in the end - I'm pretty sure that in '86, or whatever, none of them would have publicly admitted liking Van Halen.

There's was real British thing going on when I was in my late teens and early 20s, an accepted set of what it was OK to like if you wanted to remain "cool" - it's a symptom of the post-punk era, which itself was a totally British phenomenon that has absolutely zero historical knowledge about rock music / rock'n'roll and it's sources and influences.

A closed-ears kind of stance, really, that marked all that post-punk stuff from, say, 1979 onwards. Obviously the original UK punk bands were not part of that - they, in a way, were all influenced by American rock'n'roll and 60's garage rock. But what followed them was a slew of bands, a whole generation, of British bands whose main defining feature seemed to be an antipathy towards anything American. And from there you get the stupid "Indie" ghetto - which is anything but independent, when you really think about it: more like following the rules of some hapless and badly informed idea of outsider cool.

Those were the waters The Smiths swam in, and that fed their audience.

But, no matter, i think it's cool that Marr can admit, even if it was in 2012, that he thought VH were great.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

We didn't realize then when we were ripping into The Smiths that music would get to the stage when compared to nowadays they would seem absolutely remarkable musicians.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Morrissey is such a fucking dick though...

25. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (10-11-2013)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Interesting point Scraps. I'm fairly certain the Stone Roses and the Manic Street Preachers hated or hate America. Anyone else?

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Ignoring the music Morrisey was and is a dick so you have to sympathize with the rest of the band.
    That he was and for the most part still is. The Smiths were probably one of the best coasted bands to ever form (excluding dickface Morrissey). Marr's last record was a stinker.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Interesting point Scraps. I'm fairly certain the Stone Roses and the Manic Street Preachers hated or hate America. Anyone else?
    The Shamen

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah - loads of 'em. There's a book about post-punk titled Rip It Up and Start Again by a guy called Simon Reynolds - interesting book in that it comprehensively charts the emergence of all these bands who were inspired by 76-77 UK punk. What they all seemed to have in common was avoiding what they called "rockist" postures and cliches, etc. Not a one of them, the UK bands, I think, had any affinity for American music.

I have never really listened to the Manic Street Preachers, but I did once read an interview with them in a newspaper where they said some new album they had just released was intended to be "a cross between Motown and Van Halen". I guess they probably don't share the dislike of anything American creeping into their music.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

We didn't realize then when we were ripping into The Smiths that music would get to the stage when compared to nowadays they would seem absolutely remarkable musicians.
    I believe that Morrissey had Jeff Beck playing on one of his recent albums. I read a story about it in one of those music monthlies that I used to buy - Chrissie Hynde hooked them up in, of all places The Rainbow Bar and Grill on Sunset Strip, and Morrissey gushed about how much a fan he was of Beck's work, and would he please play on the new album, etc.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BumBahDeeDah View Post
    Scans? Links? I really don't remember reading that one. Until I read it and say, "Oh, I remember this one!!"

Thanks.
    OK. Scans - 1/10. I believe I can only insert one per post now. I hope when it gets to the pages with a lot of text that these are readable.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Scans 2/10 - I may as well include all the pages, several just have pics. Looks like shoulder pads, Dave ...

33. Thanked VHscraps for this KICKASS post:

Edwards3rdWife (10-24-2013)

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Scans 3/10

35. Thanked VHscraps for this KICKASS post:

DrMaddVibe (10-11-2013)

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Scans 4/10

37. Thanked VHscraps for this KICKASS post:

Edwards3rdWife (10-24-2013)

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Scans 5/10

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Scans 6/10

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Scans 7/10

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Scans 8/10

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Scans 9/10

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Scans 10/10

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well done Scraps!

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What happened to Al? Man, he got sensible.

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2017 @ 09:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vhscraps View Post
    2/2

i've had a few glasses of wine, so excuse the anal responses ... He must be referring to the '86 vh tour. He left the smiths in 1987.

pw0n3d!!!!

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2017 @ 09:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Thanks for the uploads VHScraps!

This should be stickied!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,579 Times in 3,458 Posts

Morrissey is such a fucking dick though...
    I'm going to listen to "How Soon Is Now" while eating a nice bacon-wrapped steak...

Thread Information