X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

"I would give my right arm to be able to play like Eddie Van Halen"

"I would give my right arm to be able to play like Eddie Van Halen" is a phrase you may have heard or even said.

I don't think we have posted much from the remarkable John Denner here before although some of you may have seen this before.

For more go to his website at http://johndenner.wordpress.com/

“Eruption” is a guitar solo written and performed by Eddie Van Halen. Eruption often appears on many ‘greatest guitar solos’ lists. It is often played together with “You Really Got Me”, which follows the song on the album Van Halen.

“Eruption” starts with a short accompanied intro with Alex Van Halen on drums and Michael Anthony on bass. The highlight of the solo is the use of two-handed tapping. Eruption was played on the Frankenstrat, with a MXR Phase 90, an Echoplex, a Univox echo unit and a 1968 Marshall 1959 Super Lead tube amp. The Sunset Sound studio reverb room was also used to add reverb. The Frankenstrat was tuned down a half-step. “Eruption” begins in the key of A flat and ends on a E flat note that is a twelfth fret, 6th string harmonic processed through a Univox EC-80 echo unit.

The “Eruption” intro is based on “Let Me Swim” by Cactus. After the intro, an E-flat major quotation of the Etude No. 2 by Rodolphe Kreutzer is heard. The end section begins with a series of rapid two-handed tapping triads that have a classical like structure and eventually finishes with a repeated classical cadence followed by sound effects generated by a Univox EC-80 echo unit.
    The piece that would later be named “Eruption” had existed as part of Van Halen’s stage act at least as far back as 1976, when it featured no tapping. “Eruption” popularized the tapping trend of the ’80s. Although one-handed tapping (hammer-ons and pull-offs) had been previously done by many guitarists, Eruption introduced two-handed tapping to the mainstream popular rock audience. Previously, Baroque-like tapping had been recorded by Steve Hackett of Genesis in 1971/1972.
    Initially, “Eruption” was not considered as a song for the Van Halen album as it was just a guitar solo Eddie performed live in the clubs but Ted Templeman overheard it in the studio as Eddie was rehearsing it for a club date at the Whisky a Go Go and decided to include it on the album. Eddie recalled “I didn’t even play it right. There’s a mistake at the top end of it. To this day, whenever I hear it, I always think, ‘Man, I could’ve played it better.’”

“Spanish Fly”, an acoustic guitar solo on Van Halen II, can be viewed as a nylon-string version of Eruption, expanding on similar techniques. Similarly, it was suggested by Templeman for inclusion on the album after he heard Eddie Van Halen playing a classical guitar. In March 2005, Q magazine placed “Eruption” at number 29 in its list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Tracks. “Eruption” has been named the 2nd greatest guitar solo by Guitar World magazine.
    Eruption is also featured in Guitar Hero: Van Halen and is considered as one of the most difficult songs in the game.
    © 2010 FMIC.
    John Denner
  • Jérôme Frenchise
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Nov 2004

Hats off to Mister John Denner! How masterful!

R.E.S.P.E.C.T
    posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
    posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

And some one-armed guys just want to play the drums...
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
        And some one-armed guys just want to play the drums...
        It reminds me of listening to Def Leppard's "Pyromania" a few years ago at a pal's.
        After a couple of tunes I told him I found the drums sound very old, and what I liked least in the band's music was the drumming.

Then he said: "Oh but the drummer had lost his arm then, you know."
        Of course I replied: "Sorry, but he lost it 2 tears later".
        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Very impressive. Mr. Denner......

My friend Billy had only 1 finger on his right arm, and he managed to teach himself to play guitar..... but he never got anywhere near that good.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Kristy
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

I'm not impressed at all.

Comment

• VAiN
              Use my hand, I won't look
              ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by Kristy
              Of course you're not..
              Originally posted by wiseguy
              That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• jhale667
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
                Of course you're not..
                I know, who could've seen that coming?
                Originally posted by conmee
                If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                Originally posted by eddie78
                I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Heater
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Nov 2010

Kinda highlights the fact its not as technically daunting as it sounds. For whatever reason, this passage stumps a lot of players, not this guy. Wheedle-wheedlewheedle-bawwww-wheedle-wee- ting-ting.

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Kristy
                    I hear that Jimmy Page can play it with one foot.
                    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Kristy
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                      I hear that Jimmy Page can play it with one foot.
                      Well he does usually play with both thumbs up his ass.

Comment

• Mushroom
                        Commando
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Heater
                        Kinda highlights the fact its not as technically daunting as it sounds. For whatever reason, this passage stumps a lot of players, not this guy. Wheedle-wheedlewheedle-bawwww-wheedle-wee- ting-ting.
                        Maybe I misinterpreted your comment.

Statements like this discredit the songwriting process. Duplication is not the same as origination. Forget for a moment that Steve Hackett was the originator of the technique. Writing an interesting piece of music is more difficult than copying and playing it. A lot of guitar players play riffs written by others yet they cannot cop the feel.
                        Last edited by Mushroom; 09-26-2013, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Working...