Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: David Lee Roth " New Van Halen Sessions"!

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Thumbs up David Lee Roth " New Van Halen Sessions"!

Sorry if this has been posted but it's great NEWS! Van Halen "NEW SESSIONS"!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There has been a lot of VH sessions. Don't me shit if Ed just adds them to the can and I don't hear them ! Maybe by 2017.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think the sessions at hand are Dave adding vocals to the tracks laid down in '10-'11. They did say that about 30 songs were musically ready or atleast demoed for ADKOT. That's why these sessions are a work out for him. This is heavy lifting!

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    DLR makes a Facebook comment about getting ready for the new Van Halen sessions last week, and all there is here are three freakin' posts about it.

WTF has gone wrong with this place.

dave92.jpg

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dude think there were more comments about the tweet in the roth show thread .
    fuck your fucking framing

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Tho Wolfe later tweeted pics of a stay frosty van in gta5 so maybe it was a Xbox Sesh with Wolfie

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by big fatty View Post
    DLR makes a Facebook comment about getting ready for the new Van Halen sessions last week, and all there is here are three freakin' posts about it.

dave92.jpg
    It sure makes you wonder. A new Van Halen album is on its way, but hardly any reaction following.

There was a peak around the release of ADKOT in February last year with "old" posters, not so "old" ones and newbies would comment together and
    make the site very animated - then the 2012 and 2013 tour dates brought many comments as well, and it slowly faded.

We all know what happened and how, but well: there were some critism about Dave, even from long-timers, mainly about his vocal performances. Ed and showed up in a very good shape, and Wolfgang did as well. But Dave often sang different ranges, even changed heights in between verses, when he didn't sing out of tune...
    All right, DLR is not only a voice, he's also the legendary, fantastic performer. He precisely can't do as much as he used to, so there was all the more focus on his voice...
    I listened to the second Osaka concert again last week, and it sounded obvious to me. Either Dave has given up practising his singing, or he's been having hearing problems. How could he miss Running With the Devil, Ice Cream Man like he did?

It hurts me to be so critical about Dave, I've been a fan since 1979 - and I'm still a fan anyway -, but I could care less about his latest rants, his recent Jap movie or his doing martial arts: I can't help thinking about the way he sings the classics on stage. It's embarrassing. As a DLR/CVH fan, it's a pain to me to listen to, he got us used to so much better than that.
    During the 2007/2008 Tour Dave D-E-L-I-V-E-R-E-D... What the fuck happened in between?

This new album is great news of course, but to me it would be greater news, had Dave sounded otherwise on stage over the past months.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Greensboro 2007:

vs Osaka 2013

Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 09-23-2013 at 09:13 AM.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    It sure makes you wonder. A new Van Halen album is on its way, but hardly any reaction following.

There was a peak around the release of ADKOT in February last year with "old" posters, not so "old" ones and newbies would comment together and
    make the site very animated...
    Your comparing the feedback to Dave's recent "sessions" remark to the pandemonium of early February '12?? That's not exactly an apples to apples situation. Give it another 10 to 18 months before 30 second snippet time. This board'll light up like a Christmas tree. Can't speak for anywhere else, though. VHND will still be atleast 45% heartbroken that Sammy and Mike are still out.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Your comparing the feedback to Dave's recent "sessions" remark to the pandemonium of early February '12?? That's not exactly an apples to apples situation. Give it another 10 to 18 months before 30 second snippet time. This board'll light up like a Christmas tree.
    You're right, both situations can't really be compared. But I meant that ever since the album was released, VH gave a series of concerts where Dave wasn't exactly in top shape, and maybe this fact has lessened some of us's patience. I personally never lost interest in spite of that, though it's been hard not to make faces at times - and it hurts, believe me...

Can't speak for anywhere else, though. VHND will still be atleast 45% heartbroken that Sammy and Mike are still out.
    You're right! They don't even mention Dave's announcement out there - they'd rather post pics and tales about when Spam was hired...

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    VHND will still be atleast 45% heartbroken that Sammy and Mike are still out.

Every month that goes by it gets easier & easier to forget that Sammy was ever in.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I wouldn't start claiming an album is on the way. You know how things change in a minute with these guys.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    I wouldn't start claiming an album is on the way. You know how things change in a minute with these guys.
    I do!

But then what is Dave talking about? VH sessions... Van Houten sessions? A chocolate contest?

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Who cares? Halen should have hanged it up for good on 2012

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It sure makes you wonder
    Um, no it doesn't. A Different Kind Of Turd was an embarrassment to the Van Halen canon and any new offering would only make it worse. Halen 2013 is nothing more than another lame-ass novelty act milking their fans on nostalgia. Fuck them.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Um, no it doesn't. A Different Kind Of Turd was an embarrassment to the Van Halen canon and any new offering would only make it worse. Halen 2013 is nothing more than another lame-ass novelty act milking their fans on nostalgia. Fuck them.
    Wrong thread..you should be in KISS Bits..

ADKOT was and is awesome..

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A Different Kind Of Turd was boring. The offering was a major letdown.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Um, no it doesn't. A Different Kind Of Turd was an embarrassment to the Van Halen canon....

Huh? You sure you bought the right album?

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yes I did, you fascist.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nah, I think somebody pulled a fast one and stuck the Van Hagar abomination from 2004 in the CD case, if you really thought ADKOT was "an embarrassment".

Now THAT is what I call an embarrassment.

(and yes, Upchuck For Breakfast was even worse, but I can't even post that shit to laugh at it)
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sorry, but A Different Kind Of Turd is not Van Halen. Lack of Micheal Anthony is one factor, lack of any ideas is another.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Mikey could have been there. He chose not to remove his head from Hagar's cheese-clogged ass.

Truth is, I really don't miss him at all on the record. Now in concert, on the old tunes.... that's a different story

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Exactly. Halen needs to quit dilly-dwalding around hire a decent producer who will kick them in the ass, write fresh songs and move forward instead of riding the gravy train of nostalgia. In fact they put that train right there on the god damn cover. Pathetic.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Exactly. Halen needs to quit dilly-dwalding around hire a decent producer who will kick them in the ass, write fresh songs and move forward instead of riding the gravy train of nostalgia. In fact they put that train right there on the god damn cover. Pathetic.
    I thought the 5 completely brand new songs were pretty impressive, all things considered. As far as the old retooled songs go, I think it was a good idea to put to use some of the forgotten riffs that were, in my opinion, about thirty years ahead of their time when they hatched.

If a new CD incorporated both new and old again, I would hope it leans, for the most part, towards the new. The old stuff is young and sexy. I'm not looking for 60 year olds to be something they're not. I'd like to hear them be what they are at this moment in their lives. They can do it, and it wouldn't disappoint.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    We shall see

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wow, "A Different Kind of Truth" was considered a huge success critically and by peers and somebody here calls it an "Embarrassment"? It is an absolutely awesome album that put them up for comeback rocker's of the year, song of the year and a few other considerations. If you didn't like "ADKOT" not sure what you are doing here.

Comparing Dave's vocals from 2007 and 2012 is another thing. I can understand that. I attended a concert in 2007 and was blown away with Dave's vocals, thought they were excellent. I didn't see them this last tour but watched countless youtube videos of the tour. He doesn't sound as good as '07 for the most part, not sure what the issue is. I see some think he destroyed his voice, others have said he doesn't care. Not sure what it is but there is a difference. I still prefer him over Hagar without question but I hope he figures it out.

I look forward to a new cd, and if there is one clunker (TATTOO was mine), so be it.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Nah, I think somebody pulled a fast one and stuck the Van Hagar abomination from 2004 in the CD case, if you really thought ADKOT was "an embarrassment".

"No, wait, listen to this...Sammy sucks". Typical change the subject tactic. Doesn't change how bad Dave sings anymore, doesn't make him any easier to watch twirl around on stage. Same weak BS ol' Dave tried when he started saying Robert Plant can't sing anymore, divert the attention but at the same time tacitly admit its true.

Now THAT is what I call an embarrassment. Reiterate, wave hands frantically.

(and yes, Upchuck For Breakfast was even worse, but I can't even post that shit to laugh at it)
    And do it again. Bush league.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Back in the pen, Bleater!!

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post

Back in the pen, Bleater!!
    Oh FRauD, you funny bitch. Quick and original too!

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    My God. Your belligerent irreverence is incredibly hot. If I didn't already have 5 wives, I would marry you, too. Don't ever change.

Can't stop thinking about you. Excuse me, now, gotta go to the bathroom.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsbane View Post
    My God. Your belligerent irreverence is incredibly hot.
    Go fuck a light socket.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

make the site very animated - then the 2012 and 2013 tour dates brought many comments as well, and it slowly faded.

We all know what happened and how, but well: there were some critism about Dave, even from long-timers, mainly about his vocal performances. Ed and showed up in a very good shape, and Wolfgang did as well. But Dave often sang different ranges, even changed heights in between verses, when he didn't sing out of tune...
    All right, DLR is not only a voice, he's also the legendary, fantastic performer. He precisely can't do as much as he used to, so there was all the more focus on his voice...
    I listened to the second Osaka concert again last week, and it sounded obvious to me. Either Dave has given up practising his singing, or he's been having hearing problems. How could he miss Running With the Devil, Ice Cream Man like he did?

It hurts me to be so critical about Dave, I've been a fan since 1979 - and I'm still a fan anyway -, but I could care less about his latest rants, his recent Jap movie or his doing martial arts: I can't help thinking about the way he sings the classics on stage. It's embarrassing. As a DLR/CVH fan, it's a pain to me to listen to, he got us used to so much better than that.
    During the 2007/2008 Tour Dave D-E-L-I-V-E-R-E-D... What the fuck happened in between?

This new album is great news of course, but to me it would be greater news, had Dave sounded otherwise on stage over the past months.
    EMBARRASSING? What kind of RothArmy soldier are you? That is the same fucking rhetoric that the biggest fucking asshole on YouTube, Sammy Hagar AKA DaveSUCKSLive says when he talks shit about the band.
    How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Heater View Post
    And do it again. Bush league.

This is you >

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Sorry, but A Different Kind Of Turd is not Van Halen. Lack of Micheal Anthony is one factor, lack of any ideas is another.
    Let's see YOU come up with something better, mouth breather.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Go fuck a light socket.
    Go shove a lightbulb up your saggy vag.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    Let's see YOU come up with something better, mouth breather.
    Better yet let's see YOU come up with anything. Fucking Nazi.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by big fatty View Post

dave92.jpg
    I was thinking the same thing...then I realised I hadn't bothered to comment either! It's exciting news and fits with some comments Dave made back in April I believe, about working on new music after Japan.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I thought the 5 completely brand new songs were pretty impressive, all things considered. As far as the old retooled songs go, I think it was a good idea to put to use some of the forgotten riffs that were, in my opinion, about thirty years ahead of their time when they hatched.

If a new CD incorporated both new and old again, I would hope it leans, for the most part, towards the new. The old stuff is young and sexy. I'm not looking for 60 year olds to be something they're not. I'd like to hear them be what they are at this moment in their lives. They can do it, and it wouldn't disappoint.
    ADKOT is a great album and across the various Van Halen fan sites, I'd say that the vast majority of fans are thrilled with it. And I agree with you regarding the old demos...they have every right to revisit previous ideas that were never officially released and bring them to life for the fans and new audiences. The way they re-worked them, particularly the lyrics to give them a more contemporary feel, was brilliant.

Then there is the newer material. HBSD, As Is and You and Your Blues...some the best material this band has ever come up with.

Waiting since 1984, my expectations were through the roof and they didn't let me down one bit. I'm still listening to this album at least once a week.
    Last edited by Halen High; 09-24-2013 at 05:40 AM.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Grit View Post
    Wow, "A Different Kind of Truth" was considered a huge success critically and by peers and somebody here calls it an "Embarrassment"? It is an absolutely awesome album that put them up for comeback rocker's of the year, song of the year and a few other considerations. If you didn't like "ADKOT" not sure what you are doing here.

Comparing Dave's vocals from 2007 and 2012 is another thing. I can understand that. I attended a concert in 2007 and was blown away with Dave's vocals, thought they were excellent. I didn't see them this last tour but watched countless youtube videos of the tour. He doesn't sound as good as '07 for the most part, not sure what the issue is. I see some think he destroyed his voice, others have said he doesn't care. Not sure what it is but there is a difference. I still prefer him over Hagar without question but I hope he figures it out.

I look forward to a new cd, and if there is one clunker (TATTOO was mine), so be it.
    I was at the Sydney show and Dave's vocals were fine. The youtube footage I saw here later, didn't truly represent what his vocals were like. I was with a group of about five long-time VH fans and not one of us were critical of Dave's vocals. We all left talking about what an amazing show we'd just seen. We were just a little disappointed we didn't get a couple more tracks, thanks in part to the disorganisation of this appallingly put together festival.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'd certainly like to think that a new record is on the way - maybe Wolfie is pushing for it? He seems to be the one who can actually motivate the sisters.

Not sure that a new record makes financial sense for the band - they're not going to make a killing off it - in the sense that touring would. It would be nice to finally get some momentum going, however.

Is it too early to talk producers? I'd be intrigued to hear what people think.....
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Thread Information