X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ashstralia
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Feb 2004

Acoustic Things

So half my gigs these days are purely acoustic; amplified of course.
    Let's hear from the acoustic players, show your stuff, describe your setup.

My setup through trial error and budget (bearing in mind I don't want a heap of extra gear on top of my electric rig) is this...

Takamine p3dc into boss cs2 into korg ax1500. Line out 1 of korg into peavey valve king amp. Line out 2 into tc helicon voicelive gtx, which also provides mixing some guitar into the P.A. feed, along with my vocals.

I also wanted to be able to pull off some shreddy bending and legato type things, so I experimented with string gauges. A lot. I've found my ultimate compromise between tone and ease of playability is 52w,42w,32w,18p,14p,10p. Tuned standard A=440.

This could be had for well under $2000, and sounds great.
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Poof!
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 10-08-2013, 08:00 AM.

Comment

• ashstralia
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Feb 2004

Ya had to edit that? It's a bloody four letter word!

Edit; the original post was probably a 4000 word diatribe about the acoustic instrument's pivotal role in the downfall of modern society...
      Last edited by ashstralia; 10-08-2013, 09:03 AM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Nah I added the smile in case poof on it's own was too blunt.

Comment

• ashstralia
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Feb 2004

There's got to be other people here who play acoustic?

I'm treating it as a a sideline, but I've already seen how we can show up to establishments and pull out acoustic instruments, belt them just as hard. And the older folk stay and drink and dance, rather than shield their ears and get the next courtesy bus.

Ya gotta remember, people in their late 60's were twenty something when jimi and zep and the who, stones et al were at their peak. We're seeing that. I often joke that by the time we hit the nursing home 'oldies classic' circuit, sweet child o mine will be our most requested song.

I'm gonna try one of those o port thingies in the takamine on Friday. I'll report my findings.

Comment

• vandeleur
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Sep 2009

Back in the day , we used to do these busker nights .
            Just roll up me the singer maybe the bass player and do acoustic versions of new songs .
            I've always been a believer if your song sounds shitty acoustic adding distortion and a band is just hiding a shit tune .
            Plus we used do support sets for mates cover bands for free just to try out new stuff .
            Really basic couple of acoustics straight into the pa and the singer .
            Acoustic stuff is good when you wanna play a couple of tunes guerrilla style .

We did this radio programme and did the single acoustically part of the deal of the interview to prompt stuff . But the producer was cool and sent us the full acoustic session which we used to give away but he said a lot of decent size bands had either refused to play the show or refused to let it be aired because of prissy guitarists not wanting to sound so raw or being all precious about how they sound .
            Puffs
            fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by vandeleur

I've always been a believer if your song sounds shitty acoustic adding distortion and a band is just hiding a shit tune .

Yeah that was a rule we lived by too.

I hear that the Poison unplugged gig wasn't incredible...

Comment

• ashstralia
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Feb 2004

Well hang me high, but I'm actually enjoying the challenge of having to play well without loud amps and fx!

Comment

• vandeleur
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Sep 2009

There is definitely different dynamics involved and some of the tried and tested tricks and tics we have all picked up don't work as well acoustic .
                  But it is fun , I liked the whole turn up ,tune up and fuck off aspect of it

Comment

• ashstralia
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Feb 2004

Yeah man! Less gear to lug.

I'm sure we're all singing better now too, cause you can actually hear yourself.

Comment

• ashstralia
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Feb 2004

Righto, installed the o port and jammed for 3 hours today. It definitely does what the company claims... Much more headroom before feedback happens.

Slightly less acoustic volume ( 5% max ) but not an issue for me. I got the ivory coloured one at cost, and it looks great too. I recommend.

Comment

• vandeleur
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Sep 2009

I read about those o port things are they very expensive ?

Comment

• ashstralia
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Feb 2004

$49 Au retail van. There's 2 sizes and 2 colours (black or ivory) have a look on the web, you'll get one pretty cheap.

I was just playing unplugged in the quiet of my loungeroom, maybe not as much volume loss as I thought... We were jamming today at full stage volume, and the improvement is very noticeable. I love it.

And no, I didn't get it free, and no one's paying me to plug it. (Pun intended)

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I've been looking at this pic for a while.

What body type is this, I think it's maybe a dreadnought?

Comment

• vandeleur
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Sep 2009

Is she using those bad boys as a capo

Comment

Working...