2014 Rock Hall nominees (inductees announced)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Satan
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

Maybe the Hall of Fame will compromise with the teabaggers and not allow Cat Stevens to attend and sing his own songs, and instead will have others play them?

Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
    I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Satan
      Uh, you know that it was Greg Ginn, and not Rollins who ran SST records, right?
      How does that matter? Rollins will always be an asshole and Ginn was no musician.

Comment

• VHscraps
        Veteran
        • Jul 2009

The Replacements?? Who nominates these acts - 1980-90s Rolling Stone journalists? Harking after the "good old days"?

Forgive me being a limey know-nothing, but please name the fucking hits? Name the bands that they, for sure, influenced - who would not exist without The Replacements?? C'mon, tell me?

Seems to me that they are clutching at straws down there at the RRHOF in an an attempt to hang on to what they think is cool, and are gradually running out of bands / performers who meet the criteria.

Has ANYONE outside of North America ever SEEN, never mind HEARD, the fucking REPLACEMENTS?! I sure know who they are, because I used to buy US music magazines, and I always saw that the critics gave them 4-5 star reviews, but I never once in my life heard a single fucking record - from a friend or on the radio - by the Replacements.

Who knows, someone will tell me that "hey, all those bands that sell shitloads of records now?? Y'know, they're just like the Replacements" ...

If Simmons hadn't whored Kiss to death, they woulda probably got in by now (but then they probably wouldn't have been Kiss without him selling everything from bum wipes to coffins). It's a shame, 'cos in the Kiss catalogue there is a shitload of great rock'n'roll tunes.
        THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by VHscraps
          It's a shame, 'cos in the Kiss catalogue there is a shitload of great rock'n'roll tunes.
          You're funny.

Comment

• Satan
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

The Replacements are in the same league as Big Star (who oddly enough were one of their biggest influences - see video below).....

They didn't sell a lot of records, but a lot of the people who DID buy their records formed their own bands, and some of them actually did sell a lot of records.

As for "hits", who gives a cherub's pink ass? Titney Spears had a lot of "hits", but if she were ever voted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I would personally burn the place down.

Comment

• Satan
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

And a Devil just loves the genius of these anti-videos they actually managed to get on eMpTyV.....

Comment

• VHscraps
                Veteran
                • Jul 2009

Well, I reckon not - I have heard Big Star, who may never have had a load of hits, but they were clearly influential and they made many great records.

But, c'mon - this is supposed to be the "pinnacle" of R'n'R accolades. The Replacements simply ain't got the goods in terms of either popularity or influence.

But, you know, at the end of the day, it's all bullshit anyway - the RRHOF.
                THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Satan
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2004

Of course, even better was the old stuff that MTV would never have touched in 666,000 years......

Comment

• VHscraps
                    Veteran
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Kristy
                    You're funny.
                    Thanks.

I will not break out in a Clara the Carrot (or whatever he /she is called) style ditty, but I love you Kristy.
                    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• vandeleur
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Sep 2009

Alex chilton is one of my all time fav songs
                      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

The whole institution is just odd to me, as is the reactions of fans if their bands aren't inducted or aren't in the Hall of Fame yet.

I suppose this lack of understanding on my part has to do with being able to remember a time when we didn't need such a bogus entity as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to qualify and define for us if a band is good or not.

Fucking ghey.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• baru911
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Jun 2012

The Replacements??Name the bands that they, for sure, influenced - who would not exist without The Replacements?? C'mon, tell me? .
                          That would be Green Day.

The Replacements were a great band. They just did everything in their power to stay away from ever becoming popular or big. They screwed-up their chances at it every time the opportunity was placed in front of them.

The Hall is a sham. How can you pass over bands like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest and want to put Hall and Oates in it? I know that neither Priest nor Maiden will nominated as long as the guys from Rolling Stone are running the process. Those guys hated metal. I know alot of it was bad but Maiden and Priest were/are great bands.
                          Last edited by baru911; 10-16-2013, 11:38 PM.
                          Just remember boys and girls, to get Nick the Dick and his partner FORD off your porch when they come to your home you just need to pay them for the pizza.

Comment

• Satan
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

Priest should be an easy enough nomination. Apart from a few drummer changes and the regrettable "Ripper" episode, they have had a far more stable history than any of the "big" classic rock bands up for nomination this year.

Comment

• chefcraig
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Apr 2004

The Replacements?? Who nominates these acts - 1980-90s Rolling Stone journalists? Harking after the "good old days"?

Forgive me being a limey know-nothing, but please name the fucking hits? Name the bands that they, for sure, influenced - who would not exist without The Replacements?? C'mon, tell me?

Seems to me that they are clutching at straws down there at the RRHOF in an an attempt to hang on to what they think is cool, and are gradually running out of bands / performers who meet the criteria.

Has ANYONE outside of North America ever SEEN, never mind HEARD, the fucking REPLACEMENTS?! I sure know who they are, because I used to buy US music magazines, and I always saw that the critics gave them 4-5 star reviews, but I never once in my life heard a single fucking record - from a friend or on the radio - by the Replacements.

Who knows, someone will tell me that "hey, all those bands that sell shitloads of records now?? Y'know, they're just like the Replacements" ...

If Simmons hadn't whored Kiss to death, they woulda probably got in by now (but then they probably wouldn't have been Kiss without him selling everything from bum wipes to coffins). It's a shame, 'cos in the Kiss catalogue there is a shitload of great rock'n'roll tunes.
                              Yep, this pretty much nails it, ya really had to be in attendance when these guys hit (or stumbled onto) the stage. They were a fucking garage band, and a blistering one at best. Paul Westerburg would throw in some inspired as all hell lyrics, and their shows would break down into uncontrolled lunacy. Try to find a copy of The Shit Hits The Fans, a cassette-only copy of a demented and deranged show.

Still one of best, truest live albums ever produced.

And to this very day, I wish I could have been Ronnie Lane in the Faces.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                              ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• twonabomber
                                formerly F A T
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                                The whole institution is just odd to me, as is the reactions of fans if their bands aren't inducted or aren't in the Hall of Fame yet.
                                The Plain Dealer comment sections on Rock Hall stories are always full of Moody Blues and Chicago fans cryin'. The way I see it, neither band did anything that anyone else wasn't doing (Mellotron? Horns? Jazz influences?) and I don't ever remember reading an interview with ANYONE who claimed they picked up their instrument because they were influenced by the Moody Blues or Chicago. NOT ONE.
                                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Working...