Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Lou Reed Dead at 71

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...at-71-20131027

Lou Reed, Velvet Underground Leader and Rock Pioneer, Dead at 71

New York legend, who helped shape nearly fifty years of rock music, underwent a liver transplant in May
    By JON DOLAN
    October 27, 2013 1:15 PM ET

Lou Reed, a massively influential songwriter and guitarist who helped shape nearly fifty years of rock music, died today. The cause of his death has not yet been released, but Reed underwent a liver transplant in May.

With the Velvet Underground in the late Sixties, Reed fused street-level urgency with elements of European avant-garde music, marrying beauty and noise, while bringing a whole new lyrical honesty to rock & roll poetry. As a restlessly inventive solo artist, from the Seventies into the 2010s, he was chameleonic, thorny and unpredictable, challenging his fans at every turn. Glam, punk and alternative rock are all unthinkable without his revelatory example. "One chord is fine," he once said, alluding to his bare-bones guitar style. "Two chords are pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz."

Lewis Allan "Lou" Reed was born in Brooklyn, in 1942. A fan of doo-wop and early rock & roll (he movingly inducted Dion into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1989), Reed also took formative inspiration during his studies at Syracuse University with the poet Delmore Schwartz. After college, he worked as a staff songwriter for the novelty label Pickwick Records (where he had a minor hit in 1964 with a dance-song parody called "The Ostrich"). In the mid-Sixties, Reed befriended Welsh musician John Cale, a classically trained violist who had performed with groundbreaking minimalist composer La Monte Young. Reed and Cale formed a band called the Primitives, then changed their name to the Warlocks. After meeting guitarist Sterling Morrison and drummer Maureen Tucker, they became the Velvet Underground. With a stark sound and ominous look, the band caught the attention of Andy Warhol, who incorporated the Velvets into his Exploding Plastic Inevitable. "Andy would show his movies on us," Reed said. "We wore black so you could see the movie. But we were all wearing black anyway."

"Produced" by Warhol and met with total commercial indifference when it was released in early 1967, VU’s debut The Velvet Underground & Nico stands as a landmark on par with the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Bob Dylan's Blonde On Blonde. Reed's matter-of-fact descriptions of New York’s bohemian demimonde, rife with allusions to drugs and S&M, pushed beyond even the Rolling Stones’ darkest moments, while the heavy doses of distortion and noise for its own sake revolutionized rock guitar. The band’s three subsequent albums – 1968’s even more corrosive sounding White Light/White Heat, 1969’s fragile, folk-toned The Velvet Underground and 1970’s Loaded, which despite being recorded while he was leaving the group, contained two Reed standards, “Rock & Roll” and “Sweet Jane,” were similarly ignored. But they’d be embraced by future generations, cementing the Velvet Underground’s status as the most influential American rock band of all time.

After splitting with the Velvets in 1970, Reed traveled to England and, in characteristically paradoxical fashion, recorded a solo debut backed by members of the progressive-rock band Yes. But it was his next album, 1972’s Transformer, produced by Reed-disciple David Bowie, that pushed him beyond cult status into genuine rock stardom. “Walk On the Wild Side,” a loving yet unsentimental evocation of Warhol’s Factory scene, became a radio hit (despite its allusions to oral sex) and “Satellite of Love” was covered by U2 and others. Reed spent the Seventies defying expectations almost as a kind of sport. 1973’s Berlin was brutal literary bombast while 1974’s Sally Can’t Dance had soul horns and flashy guitar. In 1975 he released Metal Machine Music, a seething all-noise experiment his label RCA marketed as a avant-garde classic music, while 1978’s banter-heavy live album Take No Prisoners was a kind of comedy record in which Reed went on wild tangents and savaged rock critics by name (“Lou sure is adept at figuring out new ways to shit on people,” one of those critics, Robert Christgau, wrote at the time). Explaining his less-than-accommodating career trajectory, Reed told journalist Lester Bangs, “My bullshit is worth more than other people’s diamonds.”

Reed’s ambiguous sexual persona and excessive drug use throughout the Seventies was the stuff of underground rock myth. But in the Eighties, he began to mellow. He married Sylvia Morales and opened a window into his new married life on 1982’s excellent The Blue Mask, his best work since Transformer. His 1984 album New Sensations took a more commercial turn and 1989’s New York ended the decade with a set of funny, politically cutting songs that received universal critical praise. In 1991, he collaborated with Cale on Songs For Drella, a tribute to Warhol. Three years later, the Velvet Underground reunited for a series of successful European gigs.

Reed and Morales divorced in the early Nineties. Within a few years, Reed began a relationship with musician-performance artist Laurie Anderson. The two became an inseparable New York fixture, collaborating and performing live together, while also engaging in civic and environmental activism. They were married in 2008.

Reed continued to follow his own idiosyncratic artistic impulses throughout the ‘00s. The once-decadent rocker became an avid student of T'ai Chi, even bringing his instructor onstage during concerts in 2003. In 2005 he released a double CD called The Raven, based on the work of Edgar Allen Poe. In 2007, he released an ambient album titled Hudson River Wind Meditations. Reed returned to mainstream rock with 2011’s Lulu, a collaboration with Metallica.

“All through this, I’ve always thought that if you thought of all of it as a book then you have the Great American Novel, every record as a chapter,” he told Rolling Stone in 1987. “They’re all in chronological order. You take the whole thing, stack it and listen to it in order, there’s my Great American Novel.”
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I guess the underground awaits for old Lou ... here's a favourite tune, 'New Sensations' from '84, an ode to his motorcycle, or something:

THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sad day.

RIP Lou - they really did break the mould........
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fuck!!!

I've been waiting for Metallica/Lou Reed to release LULU 2....

LOL!!!

RIP LOU REED... even though I don't own any of your albums...

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He knew the risks.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Velvet Six Feet Underground.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Reed helped shape fifty years of rock music ??

News to me...

RIP

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Screw that. R.I.P. Hal Needham!

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by WARF View Post
    Fuck!!!

I've been waiting for Metallica/Lou Reed to release LULU 2....

I'd rather listen to the "Metal Machine Music" album twenty times, than listen to a few seconds of LULU.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pearl Jam tossed in " Wild side " with " Daughter " in Baltimore tonight

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    Reed helped shape fifty years of rock music ??

News to me...

RIP
    Couldn't get Katy Perry tickets?

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I said "Hey Lou, take a walk on the firey side".

And the succubi sing....

Doo doo doo doo
    doo doo doo

etc.......

Welcome to Hell.
    Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Quote Originally Posted by Sockfucker View Post
    I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Christ no, I can not deal with this.

Lou's work kept me alive at times, most notably the New York album.

Soldier on, man...although the word "soldier" just might piss you off...

Rock on, fellow...otherwise, roll on.

LAST GREAT AMERICAN WHALE

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

One HELL of a record here...... seems more like an EP by todays standards with only 5 songs on it. But this was before "Frampton Comes Alive" so even double live albums weren't yet the standard format......

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Rest In Peace, Lou.
    Thanks for the music, thanks for the words.

This tribute video on Walk On The Wild Side was uploaded on 2008, October 27, the same date of his death.

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BITEYOASS View Post
    I'd rather listen to the "Metal Machine Music" album twenty times, than listen to a few seconds of LULU.
    LU LU Sounds like Machine Metal Music with Hetfield singing lol

I've never been a fan of Lou Reed. The Rolling Stone magazine worshiped this guy giving him numerous 5 star albums, while Van Halen and Queen got shitty reviews. I'll acknowledge him as a legend though... RIP.

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    RIP Lou.

A part of the trio that made the "Berlin Years" a musical treasure trove!

http://www.mynet.com/video/muzik/lou...-down-1351126/

King of the Jews
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    10/28/2013
    Dead Rock Artist:
    "Something flickered for a minute and then it vanished and was gone."

Lou Reed's New York, his 1989 album, hit the Rude Pundit like fist in the solar plexus. It's hard to remember that era, over 24 years ago, in a nation that had been dragged back to a crueler time by the unregulated capitalism and ruthless pseudo-imperialism of the Reagan administration, heading into the dim era of Bush the First. The poor had been turned into a pestilence by the rhetoric coming from the right, by the policies from Reagan, and by the lies from Christian charlatans. More homeless were created in order to pay for a military build-up that brought huge deficits for the nation and enormous wealth for a few cronies. And so, so many Americans bought the bullshit illusion of national greatness, the post-Vietnam War self-fellatio that this country was a destiny, a Valhalla, and not a messy conglomeration of people who, for fuck's sake, needed to learn how to live together or were gonna sink. It was, frankly, an ugly time.

"This is no time for Optimism
    This is no time for Endless Thought
    This is no time for my country Right or Wrong
    Remember what that brought."

For the Rude Pundit, still young, still a bit naive, still believing he could change the world but with grown-up doubt starting to creep in, New York offered a cynical view of an America that had indeed fucked itself. But the cynicism was tempered with a hard-won, embittered hope. The city and the nation that Reed saw had dragged itself into the gutter, all through self-inflicted wounds, and we had to look at ourselves, all of it, understand it, get enraged by it, before we could even begin the long crawl out of this shit-filled pit. Oh, and it helps if you've got insanely great guitar riffs to accompany you on the journey.

"Americans don't care too much for beauty
    They'll shit in a river, dump battery acid in a stream
    They'll watch dead rats wash up on the beach
    And complain if they can't swim."

What always stuck for the Rude Pundit was how immense Reed's vision is on New York. It's got Reed's usual sympathy for freaks and outsiders, for the damaged and the alienated, but the majority of the album is given over to images of our monstrous complicity in our own damnation. Take the lyric up there, from "Last Great American Whale." In the song, Reed mourns the disappearing Native American, but he uses that to take on environmental degradation and "Some local yokel member of the NRA." And on "Xmas in February," he describes a veteran who returns from war with no hope for the future. It's depressing how relevant the album still is today.

"There's no such thing as human rights
    When you walk the N.Y.streets."

The most piercing rage on New York is saved for the title city. On the opening song, "Romeo Had Juliette," Reed sings, "Manhattan's sinking like a rock, into the filthy Hudson what a shock/They wrote a book about it, they said it was like ancient Rome." He calls out the police brutality, youth violence, Rudy Giuliani, racial upheaval and more, in specific, even shocking terms. Lou Reed loved this city, yes, but he saw it as being dragged down by the stupidity and ignorance of those leading and "protecting" it.

"'Give me your hungry, your tired, your poor, I'll piss on 'em'
    That's what the Statue of Bigotry says
    'Your poor huddled masses, let's club 'em to death
    and get it over with and just dump 'em on the boulevard.'"

Others will no doubt choose albums like Berlin or Street Hassle or something by the Velvet Underground as their way to memorialize Lou Reed, who died yesterday at age 71. Idiots will play "Walk on the Wild Side," a song Reed could barely stomach performing anymore (although it is still about as subversive as rock music gets). But the Rude Pundit will always remember New York leading him to an understanding that the issues he had embraced were born out of real world circumstances for people who had been shoved to the margins, people who are still at the margins. It was How the Other Half Lives for the death of the 20th century. This is not to mention that "Busload of Faith" got him through more than one fucked-up time.

Lou Reed was the poet of a city, in all its decadent glamor and breathtaking squalor, and New York was a chronicle of our plunge into an abyss of consumerism, victimization, and apathy, the skid marks of the last millenium polluting this new one.

// posted by Rude One @ 2:34 PM
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by WARF View Post
    LU LU Sounds like Machine Metal Music with Hetfield singing lol

I've never been a fan of Lou Reed. The Rolling Stone magazine worshiped this guy giving him numerous 5 star albums, while Van Halen and Queen got shitty reviews. I'll acknowledge him as a legend though... RIP.
    Don't look for logic when reading Rolling Stone's album reviews. There is none. How does Yoko get 5 stars for all her shitty albums?
    Stay Frosty, muthas!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    "Something flickered for a minute and then it vanished and was gone."
    What a load of garbage...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's a lyric, Beavis.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think Lou Reed was one of those guys who was before my time. I really wasn't all that familiar with his stuff. I know he was one of the people being interviewed on a Jimi Hendrix video I watched one time. I guess I was more into Hendrix than Lou Reed.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ouch... Another one gone.

I have mixed feelings about Lou Reed. In one hand, I dig most of what he did with VU, as well as his early 70s solo albums.
    I got a lot into "New York" and "Magic and Loss" when they were released, still listen to them now and then.
    "Rock 'n' roll Animal" is one of the records I've most listened to, for the Funkadelic Rhythm section and the insane guitar duet.

I like Reed's voice a lot, though he often sang out of tune, but it often sounded great in the studio.

There's something that will keep me from stating he's one up there at the Olympus, which is the fact he did heroin on stage at some point in his career,
    with dozens of 15-year-old kids right before him in the audience... Whatever, really. How sillier can you get?

"Perfect Day" was a fucking overrated, grandiloquent boring song IMO.
    I'll always prefer "Cosney Island Baby".
    "Walk on the wild side" is a masterpiece, but we've heard it way too much.

I'll never get enough of "Rock 'n' Roll" or "Wild Child".

There are quite a few albums I've never listened to, but "New York" and "Magic and Loss"
    will always be in my top 40 fave albums by anybody.

Anyway,

R.I.P.

"Kick his ass Seabass.."
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    167628_1599136103182_5954247_n.jpg

I met him @ joes pub in nyc in 2006 where he played a set with Pete Townshend.He wasn't thrilled to say the least to take a photo....
    "Avant Garde is French for bullshit.”

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Looks like he went to the future to get that snappy sweater.

Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick has been posting show posters of when the opened up for Lou in '75. They must have impressed him in some club considering they were unsigned at the time they'd join him for some dates.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    It's a lyric, Beavis.
    I meant the entire article...

Butthead...

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Looks like he went to the future to get that snappy sweater.

Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick has been posting show posters of when the opened up for Lou in '75. They must have impressed him in some club considering they were unsigned at the time they'd join him for some dates.
    Cheap Trick often covered "Waiting For The Man," with Tom Peterson (sic) on vocals in the early days.

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He was a very difficult interview most of the time. Didn't want to answer questions. Always seemed irritated. That kind of stuff always bugs me in musicians/actors/athletes. If someone takes the time to interview you, at least try to give a decent answer- life could be tougher....

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Laurie Anderson's Farewell to Lou Reed: A Rolling Stone Exclusive

'For 21 years we tangled our minds and hearts together'
    by Laurie Anderson
    NOVEMBER 06, 2013

Rolling Stone pays tribute to Lou Reed, the outsider who changed the course of rock & roll, on the cover of our new issue. In an exclusive essay for RS, Laurie Anderson reflects on her 21-year relationship with Reed and his final moments.

I met Lou in Munich, not New York. It was 1992, and we were both playing in John Zorn's Kristallnacht festival commemorating the Night of Broken Glass in 1938, which marked the beginning of the Holocaust. I remember looking at the rattled expressions on the customs officials' faces as a constant stream of Zorn's musicians came through customs all wearing bright red RHYTHM AND JEWS! T-shirts.

John wanted us all to meet one another and play with one another, as opposed to the usual "move-'em-in-and-out" festival mode. That was why Lou asked me to read something with his band. I did, and it was loud and intense and lots of fun. After the show, Lou said, "You did that exactly the way I do it!" Why he needed me to do what he could easily do was unclear, but this was definitely meant as a compliment.

I liked him right away, but I was surprised he didn't have an English accent. For some reason I thought the Velvet Underground were British, and I had only a vague idea what they did. (I know, I know.) I was from a different world. And all the worlds in New York around then – the fashion world, the art world, the literary world, the rock world, the financial world – were pretty provincial. Somewhat disdainful. Not yet wired together.

As it turned out, Lou and I didn't live far from each other in New York, and after the festival Lou suggested getting together. I think he liked it when I said, "Yes! Absolutely! I'm on tour, but when I get back – let's see, about four months from now – let's definitely get together." This went on for a while, and finally he asked if I wanted to go to the Audio Engineering Society Convention. I said I was going anyway and would meet him in Microphones. The AES Convention is the greatest and biggest place to geek out on new equipment, and we spent a happy afternoon looking at amps and cables and shop-talking electronics. I had no idea this was meant to be a date, but when we went for coffee after that, he said, "Would you like to see a movie?" Sure. "And then after that, dinner?" OK. "And then we can take a walk?" "Um . . ." From then on we were never really apart.

Lou and I played music together, became best friends and then soul mates, traveled, listened to and criticized each other's work, studied things together (butterfly hunting, meditation, kayaking). We made up ridiculous jokes; stopped smoking 20 times; fought; learned to hold our breath underwater; went to Africa; sang opera in elevators; made friends with unlikely people; followed each other on tour when we could; got a sweet piano-playing dog; shared a house that was separate from our own places; protected and loved each other. We were always seeing a lot of art and music and plays and shows, and I watched as he loved and appreciated other artists and musicians. He was always so generous. He knew how hard it was to do. We loved our life in the West Village and our friends; and in all, we did the best we could do.

Like many couples, we each constructed ways to be – strategies, and sometimes compromises, that would enable us to be part of a pair. Sometimes we lost a bit more than we were able to give, or gave up way too much, or felt abandoned. Sometimes we got really angry. But even when I was mad, I was never bored. We learned to forgive each other. And somehow, for 21 years, we tangled our minds and hearts together.

It was spring in 2008 when I was walking down a road in California feeling sorry for myself and talking on my cell with Lou. "There are so many things I've never done that I wanted to do," I said.

"Like what?"

"You know, I never learned German, I never studied physics, I never got married."

"Why don't we get married?" he asked. "I'll meet you halfway. I'll come to Colorado. How about tomorrow?"

"Um – don't you think tomorrow is too soon?"

"No, I don't."

And so the next day, we met in Boulder, Colorado, and got married in a friend's backyard on a Saturday, wearing our old Saturday clothes, and when I had to do a show right after the ceremony, it was OK with Lou. (Musicians being married is sort of like lawyers being married. When you say, "Gee, I have to work in the studio till three tonight" – or cancel all your plans to finish the case – you pretty much know what that means and you don't necessarily hit the ceiling.)

I guess there are lots of ways to get married. Some people marry someone they hardly know – which can work out, too. When you marry your best friend of many years, there should be another name for it. But the thing that surprised me about getting married was the way it altered time. And also the way it added a tenderness that was somehow completely new. To paraphrase the great Willie Nelson: "Ninety percent of the people in the world end up with the wrong person. And that's what makes the jukebox spin." Lou's jukebox spun for love and many other things, too – beauty, pain, history, courage, mystery.

Lou was sick for the last couple of years, first from treatments of interferon, a vile but sometimes effective series of injections that treats hepatitis C and comes with lots of nasty side effects. Then he developed liver cancer, topped off with advancing diabetes. We got good at hospitals. He learned everything about the diseases, and treatments. He kept doing tai chi every day for two hours, plus photography, books, recordings, his radio show with Hal Willner and many other projects. He loved his friends, and called, texted, e-mailed when he couldn't be with them. We tried to understand and apply things our teacher Mingyur Rinpoche said – especially hard ones like, "You need to try to master the ability to feel sad without actually being sad."

Last spring, at the last minute, he received a liver transplant, which seemed to work perfectly, and he almost instantly regained his health and energy. Then that, too, began to fail, and there was no way out. But when the doctor said, "That's it. We have no more options," the only part of that Lou heard was "options" – he didn't give up until the last half-hour of his life, when he suddenly accepted it – all at once and completely. We were at home – I'd gotten him out of the hospital a few days before – and even though he was extremely weak, he insisted on going out into the bright morning light.

As meditators, we had prepared for this – how to move the energy up from the belly and into the heart and out through the head. I have never seen an expression as full of wonder as Lou's as he died. His hands were doing the water-flowing 21-form of tai chi. His eyes were wide open. I was holding in my arms the person I loved the most in the world, and talking to him as he died. His heart stopped. He wasn't afraid. I had gotten to walk with him to the end of the world. Life – so beautiful, painful and dazzling – does not get better than that. And death? I believe that the purpose of death is the release of love.

At the moment, I have only the greatest happiness and I am so proud of the way he lived and died, of his incredible power and grace.

I'm sure he will come to me in my dreams and will seem to be alive again. And I am suddenly standing here by myself stunned and grateful. How strange, exciting and miraculous that we can change each other so much, love each other so much through our words and music and our real lives.

This story is from the November 21st, 2013 issue of Rolling Stone.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...usive-20131106

Thread Information