Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Latest Bass Player Interview

Nothing earth-shattering....

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

WARF (10-29-2013)

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2017 @ 09:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Nice guy. Genuinely, it shows.

You would've thought that he would've learned from Dave's mistakes. When you're in you stay in by doing NOTHING. He didn't though and he even went so far as to beat on Dave's tourbus during said tour because the hounding Spammy McGaygar was doing backstage was relentless..."C'mon Dave...will ya, will ya...will ya play with bassplayer and me onstage tonite...will ya?"...Even Dave knew that little taste would dilute the soup. Touching the hem of his garment sucked the mojo out of him so Dave stayed on the bus until showtime.

Love how Chickenshit has to go on hiatus when Chad is playing with his REAL band! LOLZ!!! You'd think the other cheeseballs wudda figured that out but they're not that bright! I mean c'mon...they let Spammy sing still!

As for the rest of the "interview"...wow...keep those skills sharp yo! Like be asking some questions that people DON'T already know the answers too! Fuck...ask him his dog's name, what's his daily driver what hobbies the guy has if all you're going to do is talk about the past yo! Like I said, he's an affable guy. Prolly gets abused because of his good nature and he's not very smart but damn dude...do something musically on your own. If Peavey is going out on a limb to give an open E-string diddler like yourself a signature model...fucking go out and use it!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 06:44 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrMaddVibe View Post
    Nice guy. Genuinely, it shows.

You would've thought that he would've learned from Dave's mistakes. When you're in you stay in by doing NOTHING. He didn't though and he even went so far as to beat on Dave's tourbus during said tour because the hounding Spammy McGaygar was doing backstage was relentless..."C'mon Dave...will ya, will ya...will ya play with bassplayer and me onstage tonite...will ya?"...Even Dave knew that little taste would dilute the soup. Touching the hem of his garment sucked the mojo out of him so Dave stayed on the bus until showtime.

Love how Chickenshit has to go on hiatus when Chad is playing with his REAL band! LOLZ!!! You'd think the other cheeseballs wudda figured that out but they're not that bright! I mean c'mon...they let Spammy sing still!

As for the rest of the "interview"...wow...keep those skills sharp yo! Like be asking some questions that people DON'T already know the answers too! Fuck...ask him his dog's name, what's his daily driver what hobbies the guy has if all you're going to do is talk about the past yo! Like I said, he's an affable guy. Prolly gets abused because of his good nature and he's not very smart but damn dude...do something musically on your own. If Peavey is going out on a limb to give an open E-string diddler like yourself a signature model...fucking go out and use it!
    It's a cliche by now, but Mike is a diamond geezer as we would say here.

I really liked the bit at the end when the interviewer asked what he would have done if he hadn't been a musician - "I was studying psychology ... and planning on working with mentally challenged children ..."

Er, I can think of one or two people who that might be a description for. Maybe, Mike, you achieved that dream without even realizing it!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,402 Times in 6,057 Posts

MICHAEL ANTHONY Says WOLFGANG VAN HALEN Is 'A Great Musician'
    Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mic...dTjckrBxGtW.99

For Bass Players Only's Jon Liebman conducted an interview with Michael Anthony (VAN HALEN, CHICKENFOOT) before a recent concert with Sammy Hagar in Michigan. You can now watch the chat above.

Asked about his thoughts on Wolfgang Van Halen replacing him as the bass player in VAN HALEN, Michael replied: "I think he's a great kid. I mean, obviously, I've known him since he was born. He's a great musician. He's a great bass player. He plays drums, guitar, bass and sings. His dad, Ed, wanted his son to play with him, so, you know, that's, you know, totally great. I mean, I found out that he was going to be playing bass [in VAN HALEN] with everybody else… when they did their press conference. I wished him luck in a couple interviews I did, and hopefully he read those."

Asked about VAN HALEN singer David Lee Roth's interview with Rolling Stone magazine in which the frontman said he wanted Anthony back in the band, the bassist told "Eddie Trunk Live" back in April: "It was flattering to hear Dave talk like that. He never used to talk like that when we were all playing together. [laughs] But hey… I really don't know what to say to that. It was flattering that he said that. And, obviously, I'm the kind of guy that… water under the bridge. I don't hold any kind of grudges for anything, and you never know what will happen at anytime…. At this point in your life and career and whatever, the career aside, it's more about the friendship and just people. And if the music side of it, if that happens, if that comes about, all the better, but that's not what it's really about at this point."

During the Rolling Stone interview, Roth touched upon the touchy subject of Anthony replacing current bassist — and Eddie Van Halen's son — Wolfgang Van Halen, from here on out. "But Ed has his own vision, I'm assuming," Roth said. "We haven't really been able to speak about it and it's a disappointment, just as not having a chance for a reunion of the original band. Clearly, vocals are every bit as much a component of success as a rhythm section or a guitar solo. . . what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever — that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in EARTH, WIND & FIRE, as identifiable as the high voice in the BEACH BOYS. VAN HALEN is an indelicate house blend of both — that's intentionally."

Anthony and Hagar both last played with VAN HALEN on a 2004 reunion tour that ended acrimoniously. Both maintain that Anthony was booted from VAN HALEN for maintaining a friendship and working relationship with Hagar.

Hagar told The Pulse Of Radio that he thinks VAN HALEN made a grave mistake leaving Anthony out of the reunion tour with Roth. "Anyone in their right mind would know if you're gonna get Roth back finally! after all these abortions they've had, you get Mikey and you do the reunion tour, what the world really was waiting for. Not just fuck it up again. It's almost like they don't care about their fans. They just want to badger them until — see how much they'll take."

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,402 Times in 6,057 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post

Hagar told The Pulse Of Radio that he thinks VAN HALEN made a grave mistake leaving Anthony out of the reunion tour with Roth. "Anyone in their right mind would know if you're gonna get Roth back finally! after all these abortions they've had, you get Mikey and you do the reunion tour, what the world really was waiting for. Not just fuck it up again. "

Finally we agree. It's absolutely brilliant that Hagar now admits his time in the band was an abortion and a fuck up!

7. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

FORD (10-29-2013),ODShowtime (10-29-2013)

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    It's a cliche by now, but Mike is a diamond geezer as we would say here.

I really liked the bit at the end when the interviewer asked what he would have done if he hadn't been a musician - "I was studying psychology ... and planning on working with mentally challenged children ..."

Er, I can think of one or two people who that might be a description for. Maybe, Mike, you achieved that dream without even realizing it!
    There's nothing "diamond" by hitching your wagon to a douchebag like Spammy McGaygar...listen back to that interview...Spammy brings him out to play some cheese so Mona can catch a break...bassplayer isn't even a real member in HIS band either!

He needs to just fix sprinkler heads and leave the bass heads alone!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

Really, what's he gonna say? "Yeah, that kid sucks."

Wait...maybe MA posts here?

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

If Ed can patch it up with Dave, then Mike should be a piece of cake in comparison. One call from Ed to Mike and Mike's back in. But, that's the rub- Ed and his grudge ain't picking up the phone. Ironically enough, it'd probably take Wolfgang getting in Ed's ear to get it done, so who knows.

Man up Ed and give Mike the call- he won't be busy!

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well..until January at least...then bassplayer is in the studio working on new Chickenshit songs.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 08:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,445 Posts

Yup. The big W holds the cards. Him breaking away would help. Not so sure he's ready to leave the nest yet, though.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 06:44 PM
    Status
    Thanks

There's nothing "diamond" by hitching your wagon to a douchebag like Spammy McGaygar...listen back to that interview...Spammy brings him out to play some cheese so Mona can catch a break...bassplayer isn't even a real member in HIS band either!

He needs to just fix sprinkler heads and leave the bass heads alone!
    Maybe throwing in his lot with Sammy was not the best thing he coulda done - that is true. But the dude just wanted to play.

And back then, in the post-divorce period when Ed looked like he was really sinking to the bottom, an 'extended hiatus' is a mild description of how fucked up Van Halen was.

But, as you said - he shoulda just cut a solo album. Got together with some friends who were not Sammy Hagar and see what he could come up with.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:06 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,999 Posts

Why can't Wolf just play rhythm guitar if Ed has to have him in the band?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2021 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post

LOL ---you hit the nail in the head.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,063 Posts

Blog Entries
    He's nothing more than a F A T fucking sellout. A rich kid with a P.A. who never did an honest day work in his life. He's a mediocre musician at best and I wish a pox upon his soul.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Not sure about the Wolfie bumping out makes sense. Mikey was removed from the Van Halen partnership I believe in 1995 and was an employee since. So issues were pre the Hagar tour and not Wolfie related. He was not part of the 2004 tour plans originally and only added when it was clear he was needed to finalize the negotiation so everyone got their checks. Why he acts surprise about teaming up w Sammy would be viewed as it was is baffling, hell even Roth knew to keep his distance and not jeopardize a potential gig. Then not reaching out to brothers when their mom died when the entire Roth family did really cemented his faith and made it personal. Mikey is probably the most genuine in the whole group but he can't be with the brothers for 30 years and then be surprised they reacted that way.

I agree it is a fence that would be great to be mended but he is either dumb as a door or just not being honest neither gets much sympathy from me.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Why can't Mike wear a dress and be a back up singer since Wolfie actually plays bass better

I'm sure Sammy a dress his size.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    And you're a god damn fool to ever want to buy/try his rat poison hot sauce. Fuck him.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2021 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Yup. The big W holds the cards. Him breaking away would help. Not so sure he's ready to leave the nest yet, though.

Wolfie just seems like a spoiled 22 yr. old baby. Very immature and afraid to say anything that might get his Daddy's panties in a wad.

If Wolf wants to grow a pair and start acting like an adult --- he needs to push out a Facebook post where he clearly states how much Mike Anthony means to the history of Van Halen and that's why he needs to come back for one last reunion tour of the ORIGINAL lineup.

Wolf can hang on as "rhythm bassist" for this reunion tour so he can still collect a small paycheck and make his Daddy happy that he's employed and not spending all his time at In 'N Out Burger.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Spoiled? Sure. Immature? I dunno. He seems more level headed than the adults that surround him at times. I just wish he was able to do an interview with some more difficult or uncomfortable questions being asked. You just know the interviewers are prepped on what's on the no-no-list.

I like to ask him what he thought of Sammy shitting on his Dad and actually saying that he (Wolf) ran crying into Sammy's dressing room one night in'04. I'd also like him to outline his favorite Michael Anthony contributions to Van Halen. You can't tell me he doesn't have one.

22. 2 users say thank you to DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

DrMaddVibe (10-29-2013),mh5150 (10-30-2013)

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 08:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,076 Posts

I find him to be immature but level headed.

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Spoiled? Sure. Immature? I dunno. He seems more level headed than the adults that surround him at times. I just wish he was able to do an interview with some more difficult or uncomfortable questions being asked. You just know the interviewers are prepped on what's on the no-no-list.

I like to ask him what he thought of Sammy shitting on his Dad and actually saying that he (Wolf) ran crying into Sammy's dressing room one night in'04. I'd also like him to outline his favorite Michael Anthony contributions to Van Halen. You can't tell me he doesn't have one.
    Totally agree...I'd LOVE to actually have someone from Howard Stern's show...seems like he's the only one that can get past all the handlers AND have the balls to get tossed after the fact...ask some tough questions.

Wolfie has GOT to have a couple of fave riffs of bassplayer's...there's the open e-string slide...the now infamous bass solos...the warbling screams...gotta be something there for him to like!

All kidding aside...I really liked the 6 albums they made...I can't think of another band that put 6 out there from the beginning that can hold that much weight in Rock...but the Spammy love ended it all for me personally in regards to Anthony. It was just sick to witness the Monsters of Rock concert to see THE might Van Halen reduced to such dangerous lows...then to keep it down...like they were actually trying to kill the golden goose...it was just sad. Now? So much time in between tours and recording that they're becoming irrelevant to the Music World again that it begs the question...Why include David Lee Roth and Wolfgang if that was all the brothers were going to do? I was content to seeing the DLR Band more than once a year on tour and hearing what he was doing in the studio. If all they're going to do is rehash stuff from the vaults why bother? Cut Dave loose and give him his due. It's GOTTA be killing a guy like him to NOT perform in front of an audience...Dave NEVER dialed in a bad show in regards to CVH material...he gave it it's due and in some cases expanded on it by giving us the backstory. I'd really like to see more of Wolfie's input...I thought for his age he did a STELLAR job up there and he did everything bassplayer could do and built on it with his own flair. Hell, give the kid a song where he's the lead vocal...I don't care anymore...JUST DO SOMETHING!!!

Time's a wastin'!

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dave's not chained to the machine. He could cut himself loose (again) if he wanted to. I agree that he is the type to go stir crazy from inactivity, but at this stage in his life, he seems quite comfortable filling his down time with projects that don't involve getting out on the stage in front of people.

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-31-2024 @ 03:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,469 Posts

Michael Anthony is the only TRUE bass player for Van Halen!
    Last edited by WARF; 10-29-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yes he is. Too bad he is such a dick.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:46 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

...who can't extract his head from Sammy Hagar's cheese clogged ass.

29. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (10-29-2013)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:46 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

Maybe if Tremonti had asked him to join Creed, rather than just his sideline gig.

Not that I would consider Creed a good band, but Wolf seems to be a fan, and a friend to those guys.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

There's an assumption that the band is inactive now, I wouldn't assume that. Nothing happens fast for this band but I believe there is more activity than perceived.

32. Thanked Never was for this KICKASS post:

mh5150 (10-30-2013)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Never was View Post
    There's an assumption that the band is inactive now, I wouldn't assume that. Nothing happens fast for this band but I believe there is more activity than perceived.
    Agreed. I just parused a Sammy interview in Classic Rock magazine w/ Alter Bridge on the cover. Not only is Ched talking more trash, but he states that the Van Halens rejected his offer to do a song with him on what would have been a career spanning Anthology (whoopee) hence, it's just "...and friends". His intent was to play with all the people he has played with in previous bands, that's why you've got Schon, Carmassi, Satch etc. washing dishes on there. It's a good sign that the brothers told him to go pound sand up his ass. The fuck even said he went easy on Ed in his book. He just keeps getting classier.
    Last edited by DLR Bridge; 10-29-2013 at 02:51 PM.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Maybe if Tremonti had asked him to join Creed, rather than just his sideline gig.

Not that I would consider Creed a good band, but Wolf seems to be a fan, and a friend to those guys.
    Yeah, I think things might just go Mike's way if that were to happen.

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

Wolfie has GOT to have a couple of fave riffs of bassplayer's...there's the open e-string slide...the now infamous bass solos...the warbling screams...gotta be something there for him to like!
    Thank you, this one made me lose it. Well done!

36. Thanked VAiN for this KICKASS post:

DrMaddVibe (10-29-2013)

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I try!

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Why can't Wolf just play rhythm guitar if Ed has to have him in the band?
    Just wait....

If Wolf has the chops that everyone claims he has, it won't be too long until he wants to go out and create his own music and his own legacy. Any musician who is as versatile and talented as Wolf apparently is (based on MA's comments amongst others) does not want to be forever known as the "replacement bass player" in any band....even if it is the mighty Van Halen.

I maintain a slim hope that MA's return is imminent.

39. 3 users say thank you to fryingdutchman for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (10-30-2013),Edwards3rdWife (11-11-2014),jhale667 (10-30-2013)

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    He's nothing more than a F A T fucking sellout. A rich kid with a P.A. who never did an honest day work in his life. He's a mediocre musician at best and I wish a pox upon his soul.
    Damn...that's harsh.

I think a proper rogering would sort you out.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-29-2024 @ 02:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fryingdutchman View Post
    Just wait....

If Wolf has the chops that everyone claims he has, it won't be too long until he wants to go out and create his own music and his own legacy. Any musician who is as versatile and talented as Wolf apparently is (based on MA's comments amongst others) does not want to be forever known as the "replacement bass player" in any band....even if it is the mighty Van Halen.

I maintain a slim hope that MA's return is imminent.
    I kindly disagree...wolfie is the key to everything here. I guess in the first place he is a son who loves his father and wants to save his dad's life. he experienced what a fragile human being his dad is/was. and the only way to keep him on track is to surround him. and btw...why play 200 seaters when you can play sellout arenas with uncle dave and uncle alex?

42. Thanked DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

CVH Rulz (10-30-2013)

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

I buy into some of that , we give wolf short change on here , maybe his biggest credits on the album should have been motivator of his dad.
    We don't know this but bet its not far off , no wolf , no Dave , no adkot.
    Not sure mike is ever coming back , even if wolf left .
    Mike never gave Dave much love and sounds like he fucked up any thing he had with the sisters .

Here are options for ya ..

Option a . Dave , the sisters ,billy Sheehan or a n other bass player .
    Option b. mike the sisters and mike brings his cockknocker buddy .

Any one picking option b .. The exits are here , here and here .

Oh option c . The classic line up

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I know your kidding, but seriously, Wolf is there because of his Dad, not because he's an improvement. Wolf's playing is decent, but he also plays like any other guitar to bass convert I've heard before. He starts off every show and ends virtually every song live with lead guitar runs. Mike played (plays) bass. Listen to his playing on the first 3 VH albums. There are walking bass lines that had a powerful attack. I particularly liked his loose playing on WACF, but based on his simplified style on Fair Warning and after, Ed probably thought it was too much going on and shut him down. Probably the first concession he made in order to keep his job. He clearly brings it live in the 3 Oakland '81 videos. As far as vocals go, Dave couldn't have said it better. A totally integral part of the identifiable sound of classic Van Halen. Mike has earned my respect for what he did in my favorite band. Perhaps Wolf will earn mine someday as he fronts his own band, but for now, as good as he's been, the job belongs to Mike.

45. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

fryingdutchman (10-30-2013)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    Option a . Dave , the sisters ,billy Sheehan or a n other bass player .
    Option b. mike the sisters and mike brings his cockknocker buddy .

Any one picking option b .. The exits are here , here and here .

Oh option c . The classic line up

I'd say that option C's chances are far greater than option B's. Option A? Last we heard, Billy wants Mike back in the band.

It's all about burying hatchets at this point. Mike was harmless compared to Dave and he made it back in.

But like Dutch said, chances are slim of a Mike return, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    I kindly disagree...wolfie is the key to everything here. I guess in the first place he is a son who loves his father and wants to save his dad's life. he experienced what a fragile human being his dad is/was. and the only way to keep him on track is to surround him. and btw...why play 200 seaters when you can play sellout arenas with uncle dave and uncle alex?
    If this was 2007/08 Natra, I would be on board with you. Back then Ed was a shell of his former self and the only path to revelation and redemption was through his family...in particular, his son.

But in 2013 Ed has 6+ years of sobriety under his belt, he's happily married, he's been through a life-threatening medical condition, and he has his hands in multiple business ventures. He's no longer the shirtless bum with holes in his shoes crafting shitty soundtracks for low budget porn flicks.

Wolf WAS the key to everything a few years ago....but I don't think that's still the case. If Wolf wanted to go his own way I think Ed would be happy for him and not necessarily close the book on Classic Van Halen with Mike back in the fold.

I believe the acclaim surrounding ADKOT reassured Ed that he's still viable and he doesn't need to be jumpstarted by his kid anymore.

I give Wolf full credit for resurrecting Van Halen with Roth. But I don't think the empire hinges on him the way it did 6 years ago.

You don't need to look far on YouTube to find videos of the vitriol that was spit from both sides between Roth and the Van Halens. If they could make peace with Roth, they could make peace with anybody. Mike Anthony is a far less intimidating presence than Roth...I thoroughly agree with DLRBridge in that assessment.

48. 3 users say thank you to fryingdutchman for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (10-30-2013),Edwards3rdWife (11-11-2014),Von Halen (10-30-2013)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fryingdutchman View Post
    If this was 2007/08 Natra, I would be on board with you. Back then Ed was a shell of his former self and the only path to revelation and redemption was through his family...in particular, his son.

But in 2013 Ed has 6+ years of sobriety under his belt, he's happily married, he's been through a life-threatening medical condition, and he has his hands in multiple business ventures. He's no longer the shirtless bum with holes in his shoes crafting shitty soundtracks for low budget porn flicks.

Wolf WAS the key to everything a few years ago....but I don't think that's still the case. If Wolf wanted to go his own way I think Ed would be happy for him and not necessarily close the book on Classic Van Halen with Mike back in the fold.

I believe the acclaim surrounding ADKOT reassured Ed that he's still viable and he doesn't need to be jumpstarted by his kid anymore.

I give Wolf full credit for resurrecting Van Halen with Roth. But I don't think the empire hinges on him the way it did 6 years ago.

You don't need to look far on YouTube to find videos of the vitriol that was spit from both sides between Roth and the Van Halens. If they could make peace with Roth, they could make peace with anybody. Mike Anthony is a far less intimidating presence than Roth...I thoroughly agree with DLRBridge in that assessment.

I would tend to agree...

Regardless of MA not being the bass player, non-fanatic VH fans have heard the hits with Dave at the mike for two tours now....

While I think one day MA will get back up there, if even a short time period, I really think it'll only make a difference to us dipshits.....

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    One last thing Natra...

If your outlook is correct and Wolf still remains the key to everything for Ed to function, that doesn't mean he has to stay or would want to stay.

Ed being resistant to change doesn't mean that Wolf has to stay dormant. If VH doesn't remain active and viable I don't see Wolf wasting the best musical years of his life sitting around waiting and hoping for things to happen.

If you had the choice in your early 20's what would you do?

1. Sit around and wait for your dad to do something? (with the possibility of nothing ever happening for years)
    2. Go out, make your own band, rock your own music, and eat every pussy from sea to shining sea?

I think most would take option number 2.

Thread Information