X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    Also how immense is Ray Luzier on SGMAD??
    Actually, I was thinking he should have learned the song correctly...

Comment

• DLR Bridge
      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by WARF
      ADKOT is a great album.

It's just not on the same level as anything on the six pack.

I'm still waiting for the Van Halen reunion, and not this half assed bullshit.

I've supported this version of the band 6 years now. I bought the merch, seen the tours... etc etc...

Give us the REAL Van Halen or retire!

These guys are all sixty now! Wolfgang is 22 and has a whole musical career ahead of him....

Give us the classic lineup... time is running out....
      I'm leaning more and more in this same direction with my thoughts. Had they been a bit busier, studio wise, since '07, I might have missed Mike less by now. The slow grind production of the VH machine that we're all too familiar with, certainly isn't helping their cause any. They've gone into indefinite hibernation again. If they're as busy as hell with more VH 4.0, fine, get on with it. If not, they should be putting together the closing of the CVH book with Mike.

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

I agree...

Comment

• vandeleur
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Sep 2009

I agree with the pace of stuff , they should be full steam a head . Instead it feels like they are closing up for winter ,see ya in four years for the next tour .
          fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• vandeleur
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Sep 2009

Am not an Aerosmith fan , but since van played with them in oz they seemed to have been really busy , they even got the slot at download in the uk that every year people go well that's got van halen written all over it .
            If those old farts can keep busy why can't ours .

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by WARF
              I've ALWAYS viewed the six pack as the quintessential rock albums of all time. ADKOT after it's initial buzz wore off has become a beer coaster for me. It's still better than anything Hagar has made with Van Halen don't get me wrong. It's a solid album. I just think it sounds more like a David Lee Roth solo album rather than an actual Van Halen record. Michael Anthony is just as important to Van Halen as Dave, Ed or Alex. The high harmonies can't be replaced. Wolfgang is a great kid, I've had the pleasure meeting him and talking with him. He's got a tremendous upside. I'm gonna try and keep it real. Wolfgang should start his own band rather than sponge off the legacy of his dad.... He needs to start his own legacy and new band for himself. I would also recommend him staying far away from Tremonti (Creed sucks in my opinion).

Hey Eddie?!
              I thought bass players weren't allowed to tour with other bands. Didn't that get Michael Anthony fired for joining chickenshit? I'm not a fan by chickenshit by any means. Maybe Michael should be given the benefit of the doubt.... maybe as a musician he just wanted to go out and play LIVE music while Eddie Van Halen was drinking himself to death in his bedroom? I don't like Sammy Hagar. Sam is an abomination to rock and roll.... but Michael Anthony is his friend and I don't hold that against him.

Anyways....

Van Halen is Dave, Eddie, Alex and Michael.

ADKOT was a solId album... but like I said it's a beer coaster.
              After the initial hype wore off it doesn't hold a candle to the six pack.

Flame away.... at least I got a take...

=WARF=
              Well, I won't dump a bunch of shit on your take of ADKOT, mostly because I don't totally disagree with it.

Much like the 2007 and 2012 tours, ADKOT comes off to me as the best the band was able to do considering how much time they squandered and self-abuse they inflicted on themselves, and when those two aspects are taken into acount the result seems somewhat miraculous.
              However, strictly on the merits of the album, it's not really a good sign of a prolific creative future re: the amount of old demo tracks reworked.
              Tattoo DID sound to me like a Roth solo track when I first heard it, and a track from Roth's solo years post-ALAE, to boot. And this was even with having full awareness from the initial listening that the tune was a reworked, previously unreleased Warner Bros/Simmons demo track.
              The Trouble With Never also sounds like something the DLR Band might have come up with. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, and I'd rather have a Van Halen album full of DLR Band-type tracks than, say, the stuff that wound up on VHIII. But this isn't to say the DLR Band album was on a level approaching the 6-pack.
              In point of fact, when the ADKOT Tampa tour date was approaching, there were really only 2 or 3 tracks off the ADKOT album that I was hoping the band would play live, which doesn't say much for how badly I wanted to hear all the tracks given a live airing. In point of fact, I was more curious as to what old CVH deep cuts the band would pull out of mothballs than any of the stuff off the new album.
              LIke you say, it's not a bad album.
              All things considered (which includes Ed AND Dave's recorded output since 1995), it is somewhat surprising it turned out as well as it did.
              Yet, it's not quite CVH, either. Anthony IS somewhat missed, if only vocally (I do think Wolfgang did a great job bass-wise on the album), and the material just...doesn't quite make it to the point where I heard any one track and said "THERE is another timeless Van Halen classic for the ages, up there with Unchained, RWTD, ATBL or Everybody Wants Some".
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• vandeleur
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Sep 2009

I think blood and fire and as is are better than some diver down material . Admittedly probably the covers .
                As for tattoo , being the first single and general promotion of the album if am generous it's a missed opportunity if am honest the guy in charge of promotion was as much use as Anne franks drum kit .

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Apr 2012

If they want to continue as a functioning band, i.e., one that records new music and tours, then they can't continue to have their thumbs up their asses relative to the speed in which they do things. In an interview in another thread, Dave said it would be an 18 month process to get another album done and out on the road. That's too fucking long. They're getting older and Dave's voice will not be improving. I hope they don't expect to put out another album 4 years from now and plan on filling arenas. That's a dicey proposition to me.

Terry mentioned in another thread that they have nothing left to prove. I agree with that. If you don't want to be a functioning band, that's ok. Call Mike up, do the farewell tour and call it a day. Otherwise, get to work and release new albums and tour while there's still gas in the tank. As for Mike, the only way I'm upset is if they do a farewell tour and don't include him- that would be horseshit. As has been discussed here before, no Wolfgang, no tours and no album(s). i'd rather have what we got with 3/4 of Van Halen than nothing with the original lineup. (it would actually be less than nothing because VH with Mike wouldn't even have existed because Ed wouldn't have had him in the band anyway) i understand the purist point of view- no Mike, no CVH. While I understand that mindset, it reminds me of the random Japanese guys stranded on islands in the Pacific still fighting WWII after it'd been over for years. It just ain't the reality of the situation and seems a zero sum game at this point, imo. but hey, keep fighting the fight, Yūjin!

Bottom line, they need to step it up or consider calling it a day (after they tour with Mike).
                  Last edited by chuckjitsu; 11-17-2013, 11:31 PM.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Mar 2004

Who's gonna give two shits what they do three years from now? The last record was great, but it didn't transfer from record to stage so well. Of course, everybody is gonna disagree with me. Fine. But the tank is just about dry, as far as the live stage show goes. I do believe that Dave can still bring it live. I don't understand why he shoots himself in the foot live on a regular basis. The bottom line is that this band has a very, very limited shelf life. These guys need to bring it and bring it now. Dave ain't gonna get much better than he is right now. So the "band" as it is has a limited time to do what it has to do. Or we can all sit back and be grateful for whatever we get from them.
                    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Van Halen got old.
                      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                        Dave sounds a lot better in that clip than he does now...
                        yeah...and back then we thought...ouch...Dave lost a lot...
                        Roth Army Icon
                        First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                          yeah...and back then we thought...ouch...Dave lost a lot...
                          This is why there's no such thing as the phrase, "it's all uphill from here"

Comment

• Zing!
                            Veteran
                            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by chuckjitsu
                            If they want to continue as a functioning band, i.e., one that records new music and tours, then they can't continue to have their thumbs up their asses relative to the speed in which they do things. In an interview in another thread, Dave said it would be an 18 month process to get another album done and out on the road. That's too fucking long.
                            Especially when in the CVH era 18 DAYS was a long time. It should be more like 18 weeks for this new album, but it will probably take that long just to get some of the rust off of Dave's vocal chords...
                            My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Zing!
                              Especially when in the CVH era 18 DAYS was a long time. It should be more like 18 weeks for this new album, but it will probably take that long just to get some of the rust off of Dave's vocal chords...

it takes 18 weeks to find the best bass drum sound in the studio...
                              Roth Army Icon
                              First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Zing!
                                Veteran
                                • Oct 2011

This is how a dog must feel. In Van Halen years I'm 190 years old.
                                My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

Working...