X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Halen
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

So, I met John 5 last night

And of course the first thing I asked him about, is the album he has finished with Dave. John literally lit up when I asked him about it. The first thing I asked him about the album was "Is it heavy"? He told me "No, Dave doesn't like heavy". I think John may have misunderstood what I meant by heavy, but hey, we were standing behind the stage at a Korn/Rob Zombie show! I meant Van Halen heavy. DLR Band that he played on heavy. Anyway, he told me I won't believe how good this disc is. He compared it to "Could This Be Magic" type stuff. I don't know about you, but that fucking excited me! He told me Dave is singing the stuff in a deeper low register, and he said Dave sounds absolutely phenomenal.

What do you think my next question for John was? "When the fuck is it coming out?!" His response was not what I wanted to hear. "We can't release it because Dave is in Van Halen". I asked him if that was "off the record", and he told me "No. It's not a secret, that's just the way it is in this business sometimes".

Not what I wanted to hear! I want to hear this fucking album!

After the show, I walk into the dressing room, Ray immediately says to me "Vaughn! Guess what I got to hear the other day?" I knew where he was going. He heard some of this album! John played some of it for him! Ray reiterated what John had told me earlier in the evening. Ray told me I won't believe how good it is when I hear it!

Motherfuck the "business"!! I want this fucking album!

I would like to thank John 5 for being so cool to me, and for talking so openly. Of course I have to thank Ray Luzier too.
  • vandeleur
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Sep 2009

Pics or it didn't happen

Signed .... Angel

Very cool Von ...lucky bastard
    fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Coyote
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

Conflicts of interest are a bitch...
      Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• twonabomber
        formerly F A T
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
        "We can't release it because Dave is in Van Halen". I asked him if that was "off the record", and he told me "No. It's not a secret, that's just the way it is in this business sometimes".
        "You can't be in two bands!"

However, if it was a certain bass player I think it would be okay...
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Hmmm. Then how do bands like King's X manage to do King's X and multiple projects at once, I wonder. Granted, they're small potatoes compared to VH, but still.

Makes me think that John was choosing his words wisely rather than blurting out, "well, ya see, it's like this. The brothers are fucking it all up for Dave to exist both in and out of the band simultaneously, sooo..." From what I understand, John has a nice friendship with Ed, too.

Comment

• Satan
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

Maybe somebody will leak this record to the torrent sites one day?

That and the original, less overproduced version of SkyCrapper that Billy Sheehan claims to still have the master tape of.
            Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
            I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• VAiN
              Use my hand, I won't look
              ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Makes you wonder.. So Dave would have to not be in VH?? What the fuck?? Ed can play and do tv with fucking LL cool J, but Dave can't make actual quality music?
              Originally posted by wiseguy
              That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• WARF
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

I really wish Dave would just quit Van Halen and give us the new album.

It's gonna be at least another few years before we get a new Van Halen disc, if we ever get another.

If Ed doesn't wanna give us the REAL lineup of Dave, Ed, Alex and Michael.... bring on the DLR Band!

Comment

• DONNIEP
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

Awesome story Von!!

Ed sucks balls! That's why Dave can't release the record. Ha. Well, at least Wolfie can tour and work with other bands so we got that to look forward to. Right.
                  American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Mar 2004

Bring back the DLR Band!! Somebody call Brian! Ed - you're fired!
                    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Von Halen
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by vandeleur
                      Pics or it didn't happen

Signed .... Angel

Very cool Von ...lucky bastard
                      Well, here is John's Lava guitar, with the builder of it, side stage.

Comment

• WARF
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

You can tell Dave was absolutely miserable in 2013 live on stage, and it shows in his performances. Dave wants Michael Anthony back and the ONLY version of Van Halen that matters. ADKOT was a solid album but it's a beer coaster. I haven't listened to that album in over a year and find myself listening to the ONLY version of Van Halen that mattered. The six pack. I think the fantasy of having DLR Back in Van Halen was greater than the reality of the situation. I was so excited to see DLR back in the band it distracted me from the reality that this is in fact a half assed reunion. Don't get me wrong ADKOT was a good album (although I like the demos better) it was basically just a Roth solo album with Ed on guitar. It doesn't sound like Van Halen without Michael Anthony's high tenor harmonies.

Bring back Michael Anthony or retire. I'm tired of DLR having to kneel before the Van Halen sisters! He's miserable. Wolfgang can tour with Tremonti and Ed can make shitty rap records with LL Cool J.... but Dave can't even release a fucking album with John 5??? We all know Ed is gonna relapse eventually so why even wait??? Come on Dave, start a war with Mr. Sticks and Mr. Fingers! Free yourself of the mental slavery of Van Halen. Ed will NEVER give us the REAL lineup of Van Halen.

Bring back the DLR Band! I wanna see Dave happy again!!

Comment

• Von Halen
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Ray actually has an album with JD, the Korn lead singer, done. It too is a "side project", and Ray told me they can't release that either. It's a "contractual" thing, not an individual thing. I don't know that we can blame any one person for this.

Satan, I truly hope this album does NOT get leaked. Bands are having enough issues selling albums these days.

John told me this album will be released someday. He said it's too good not to get released.

Comment

• Von Halen
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I took some great pics, but haven't had time to go through them yet.

Comment

• Fairwrning
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Interesting...and that lava guitar is badass....Ya know..I dont even care if VH does anything else..I havent listened to any classic cd in months..I think im over them..it was a good run..Roth should go back to solo shit..even if its completely off the wall or whatever..

Comment

Working...