your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

Does John ever bust out any DLR Band riffs at his shows?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Gimme head till I'm dead
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    01-03-2021 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

What the fucks up with that face-painting shit?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Igosplut View Post
    What the fucks up with that face-painting shit?
    Von has a thing for men in heavy makeup...

4. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (11-28-2022)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Nine fucking years now.

Just ludicrous.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Time keeps marching on... productivity not so much...

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 12:30 AM
    Status
    Thanks

It's really puzzling how Dave works recently. He was trickling out those individual John 5 tracks one at a time, without any kind of endgame to it. Then he releases like 4 re-recordings of old VH tunes for unknown reasons, and has apparently stopped that as well. I just think he does things on a whim without considering what he's going to accomplish with it. That's kind of what plagued his solo career too, he just tried out thing after thing without a real goal. He's like a dog chasing cars.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MasonL View Post
    It's really puzzling how Dave works recently. He was trickling out those individual John 5 tracks one at a time, without any kind of endgame to it. Then he releases like 4 re-recordings of old VH tunes for unknown reasons, and has apparently stopped that as well. I just think he does things on a whim without considering what he's going to accomplish with it. That's kind of what plagued his solo career too, he just tried out thing after thing without a real goal. He's like a dog chasing cars.
    I suppose there is little motivation for Dave.

He could resume his solo band he put together for the KISS tour and do festivals. But then again, maybe it goes back to physically he just can't do it anymore. Years of jumping off drum risers, back flips, high kicks have taken their toll.

Hence that retirement announcement. Seemed real.

The re-records and other recent releases he probably thought was just enough to keep himself out there without having to actually perform live.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Add? Adhd?

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I suspect ADD/ADHD with a heavy case of LSD (Lead Singer Disease)...

For decades, there was the myth that Dave was this highly motivated genius that orchestrated and drove the rise of early Van Halen, the 6-pack era, and then the early phase of his solo career. Maybe he was... or at least he was the lightning bolt in the Cheerios that fueled a part of that greatness.

But... through all that... there was always a manager or management team that kept the impending train wreck on the tracks for the most part. Plus kept the bookings and contractual commitments fulfilled. Although in every case, when Dave lost a management entity... his momentum, productivity and career direction ground to an immediate halt. Then you'd see impulsive sputters and an occasional spark only to be followed by long unproductive periods with dabbling in various hobbies and assorted bullshit.

Dave doesn't need to tour or perform live in order to remain relevant and entertain his millions of fans around the planet. His run with the Roth Show™ was perfect blend of music, fun and creative output that could continue today. Dave could release all kinds of solo work that's sitting in vaults from various phases of his career.

But the heart of the problem here... there's no management, leadership nor a rudder on Dave's ship. Back to my original point... I don't believe Dave was ever the business force he took credit for. Thus the results of what you see today. As with the Van Halens... left to their own motivations and productive abilities... nothin gets done on their own. Sad to see such talent just rotting away with a vast mountain of musical treasures buried and fading away...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    I’ve heard several people inside the VH camp say it was Alex who was really the business manager of Van Halen. I’ve seen old business cards that said contact Alex Van Halen on them. These were cards the band would hand out to get bookings or to get hired for a party. Of course Warner Brothers became the real boss after they got signed and Noel Monk was hoping to manage the band to a big fortune.

Roth was an asset in the beginning. The band got PA equipment, Roth’s dad’s basement to practice in, financial and management support from Dr. Roth. Dave wrote good lyrics, was great up front and a good funny interview. Dave had issues with hyperactivity and probably attention deficit disorder. Add in drugs and ego and not a good mix. Van Halen self-destructed. That’s the truth of it. Dave was great on MTV and had a short MTV career but then Nirvana and Guns & Roses nailed the coffin shut on him. The spandex king of big hair lost his kingdom. MTV became a reality show.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Dave could be bi-polar. Several people said you didn’t know what Dave you were going to get. The nice guy or the crazed asshole. A telling sign Dave has problems is he’s a loner. All his so called friends seem to be business relationships. The guy lives alone. Claims he likes it that way but I think he might just be miserable to be around.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Well Van Halen was exciting but it’s gone now. Nice memories.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Maybe the unsung hero of VH’s rise is Dr. Nathan Roth. He gave that band a lot of support in the early days. From what I’ve heard, Dr. Roth was a pretty good guy. He did Dr’s Without Borders and made his medical expertises available to people who couldn’t afford it. Dealing with Dave the man would have to have the patience of a saint.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Agreed. Dave is not a good self-manager. If you know how to deal with him he has the work ethic. Noel Monk knew how to handle Dave and he used Big Ed Anderson to be a personal handler of Dave. That setup worked pretty well but as Noel said, Dave just burnt him out.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Anyways people have waited decades to get more from a very dysfunctional group of people. People are still waiting. They are like Christians waiting for Jesus to return. Ha! Ha!

17. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (12-03-2022),ZahZoo (12-02-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    But yeah you do need PT Barnum to organize and manage the freaks or The Greatest Show on Earth doesn’t happen.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 12:30 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I’ve heard several people inside the VH camp say it was Alex who was really the business manager of Van Halen. I’ve seen old business cards that said contact Alex Van Halen on them. These were cards the band would hand out to get bookings or to get hired for a party. Of course Warner Brothers became the real boss after they got signed and Noel Monk was hoping to manage the band to a big fortune.

Roth was an asset in the beginning. The band got PA equipment, Roth’s dad’s basement to practice in, financial and management support from Dr. Roth. Dave wrote good lyrics, was great up front and a good funny interview. Dave had issues with hyperactivity and probably attention deficit disorder. Add in drugs and ego and not a good mix. Van Halen self-destructed. That’s the truth of it. Dave was great on MTV and had a short MTV career but then Nirvana and Guns & Roses nailed the coffin shut on him. The spandex king of big hair lost his kingdom. MTV became a reality show.
    I think Alex was the best business guy in the band, Dave had the willpower and the go get-'em that made VH take off. That much is fact. Monk said as much that he was the leader and steered the band. No, I don't think he was a business genius or some kind of all in one manager/singer/strategist but he had a vision and the persistence and VH wouldn't have made it without him. Case closed.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Dave was a good frontman and spokesperson for the band. The rest of the band aren’t very interesting once they are off the stage. Dave was the guy who did the radio promo and interviews. He was the best in the business at that stuff.

21. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Vinnie Velvet (12-02-2022)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I think you guys are undermining Dave's contribution to the band. He clearly was the driving force in the early days before they got signed. This is all in that VH Rising book.
    If left up to Ed and Al, they'd be stuck in a club playing Sabbath covers with no record deal.

The whole no brown M and Ms was a quality control measure - all orchestrated by Dave. Ed and Al would've never have thought of that.
    Last edited by Vinnie Velvet; 12-02-2022 at 10:46 AM.

23. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (12-03-2022)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    You're right VV... although that was 44+ fucking years ago.

I was appreciative back then and enthusiastic. At this phase I think it's fair to say... What have you done for us lately?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    You're right VV... although that was 44+ fucking years ago.

I was appreciative back then and enthusiastic. At this phase I think it's fair to say... What have you done for us lately?
    You have to stay in the game. I find the most successful long term acts have a bit of humility to them. They aren’t beating their chest saying I’m the best and they appreciate their fans and interact with them and give or share some fun stuff with them. It’s called keeping it real. If anything let your fans know you are still alive and really some honesty doesn’t hurt. If things are delayed for a while let the fans know.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Wolfgang said Alex’s thinking was don’t interact with the fans unless something is coming out. That’s what VH did. They would hide in a hole until the next project needed to be promoted.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Interaction is nice... but honestly that's not where my interests are at all.

For me, it all started with the music... the primal heartbeat of the drums... the sonic compression waves of the bass assaulting my gut... the 128th note guitar hooks that energized my brain with catchy melodies... and the swashbuckling story telling in the lyrics... That shit is what got me in the door!

The circus clown show of the band's personalities and shenanigans was entertaining back in the day. But hey... we're old men now not 14 year old's impressed with jackass slapstick.

Gimme something to tap my toe and sing along... it's that fucking simple.

28. 2 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Terry (12-03-2022),Von Halen (12-03-2022)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MasonL View Post
    I'd say his solo career post-DLR Band album has been a bit like that for me, in that what he has done since 1998 seems a bit slapdash or aimless.

Dunno if it's because Dave is financially solvent to the point where he doesn't have to do the album/tour cycle, or maybe he realized as far back as YFLM that his commercial zenith was behind him, thus why bother putting 1000% into a solo career when the public interest is no longer there.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Anyways people have waited decades to get more from a very dysfunctional group of people. People are still waiting. They are like Christians waiting for Jesus to return. Ha! Ha!
    Shit, the summer of 1996 after news of Dave being in the studio with the band leaked out, I was hoping for the Second Coming!

31. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (12-03-2022),ZahZoo (12-03-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Shit, the summer of 1996 after news of Dave being in the studio with the band leaked out, I was hoping for the Second Coming!
    Instead of the messiah we got a false prophet.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Interaction is nice... but honestly that's not where my interests are at all.

For me, it all started with the music... the primal heartbeat of the drums... the sonic compression waves of the bass assaulting my gut... the 128th note guitar hooks that energized my brain with catchy melodies... and the swashbuckling story telling in the lyrics... That shit is what got me in the door!

The circus clown show of the band's personalities and shenanigans was entertaining back in the day. But hey... we're old men now not 14 year old's impressed with jackass slapstick.

Gimme something to tap my toe and sing along... it's that fucking simple.
    Well the chief architect of the sonic magic had his ashes dumped into the Pacific Ocean two years ago. The clown is still around but not seen much. If the occasional wierd art project floats your boat that’s basically what’s still on the menu.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    If you are into Sammy Hagar he’s everywhere. He won’t go away. One reason I think we might be living in Hell right now.

35. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

VHscraps (12-08-2022)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I keep Van Halen in the cellar and enjoy it like a fine wine. I fire up my tube powered McIntosh audio equipment. Carefully pull an original VH LP from its paper protective jacket. Put it on my awesome Bang Olufsen turntable and listen to the magic come through six foot tall 60’s vintage electrostatic speakers.

37. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

VHscraps (12-08-2022)

Thread Information