Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Jon Bon Jovi interested in purchasing the Buffalo Bills

November 24, 2013 9:12 am ET

For more news and notes from Jason La Canfora, tune into The NFL Today Sunday at noon ET on CBS.

Rock star Jon Bon Jovi is consumed with purchasing an NFL team, according to numerous sources with knowledge of the situation, and is among the parties positioning to purchase the Buffalo Bills when the team comes up for sale.

The Bills will go to the market when owner Ralph Wilson passes, and, while many league sources believe the Rogers Communications group in Toronto, who already work closely with the Wilson family to stage games annually in Toronto, is the prime suitor for the franchise, sources said Bon Jovi has spent considerable time in the area getting to know politicians and power brokers and even added a date there late in a recent tour to allow for more time to allocate to the matter.

Bon Jovi has been very proactive in meeting NFL owners and general managers, and is seeking their input on all sort of issues related to football. In the past he has nearly become a minority owner of a team, most notably the Falcons. However, sources said Bon Jovi is aiming to be the principal owner -- it remains to be seen if he has the type of immense capital necessary to meet that threshold of ownership -- and has aligned himself with several powerbrokers in his effort to turn his dream into reality. (Bon Jovi has a close friendship with Patriots coach Bill Belichick and it is not uncommon for him to jump on a private plane and head to various meetings with NFL bigwigs across the country, sources said, in his pursuit).

According to several sources in the music industry, Bon Jovi's dismissal of longtime guitarist Richie Sambora is likely even related to his pursuit of a franchise, as Sambora was the highest-paid member of his band and the next most prominent member, and by using session musicians or unknowns, he is then able to keep his costs down. Bon Jovi is a shrewd businessman who has kept much of his operation in-house and has long been the central figure in making deals for the band.

He is obviously incredibly wealthy and is held in high regard by NFL owners and within the league office, but it is very difficult to end up as the primary owner of a franchise and they do not change hands all that often. The recent passing of Titans owner Bud Adams has put a finer focus on the age and relative health of some owners, and while Adams' family has plans in palace to retain the franchise into the foreseeable future, that is not the case with the Bills.

Rocker Jon Bon Jovi was a founder and primary owner of an Arena Football League team.(USATSI) Rocker Jon Bon Jovi was a founder and primary owner of an Arena Football League team. (USATSI)

The NFL has a vested interest in keeping the Bills a regional team, for Western New York and Southern Ontario, and in most any scenario the team will continue sharing games to some degree with Toronto. And if Rogers Communications were to get the team and get a Super Bowl-quality stadium built in Canada, then undoubtedly the number of games played in Toronto would increase over time.

Furthermore, Tim Leiweke, a former honcho at AEG (whose plans to bring a team to Los Angeles have hit several snags) is now president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, owner of the Toronto Maple Leafs and a massive player in the sports and entertainment landscape of the region. And sources said Bon Jovi has major ties to Leiweke and his daughter and that perhaps they could eventually align in pursuit of the Bills, with Bon Jovi the public face of the franchise (a la rapper Jay Z, and the sports agency he in essence fronts). It's worth noting that Bon Jovi, a Jersey native, got a banner at MLSE's Air Canada Centre.

Whether any group would have the connections and wherewithal to compete with Rogers Communications remains to be seen, but Bon Jovi's interest and desire should not be underestimated, sources said. However, Rogers is an international media conglomerate worth billions that already owns a nationwide sports media network in Canada and has a stadium in place in downtown Toronto. Topping their bid could be quite difficult, but those who know Bon Jovi say they don't doubt his desire to do so, and should he not land the Bills will continue a quest to own an NFL team one way or another.

Regardless of the exact nature of the ownership transaction, league sources do not see the Bills ending in L.A. anytime soon, even with some Hollywood connections, given the geography and allure of Toronto. The Bills could end up in a special trust for a period of time following Wilson's death, as well, but whether it's within a year of his passing or five years after, the team will be going to sale.

&action_type_map=[%22og.likes%22]&action_ref_map=[]]CBS SPORTS

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He beat Gene Simmons to it.....
    How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The motherfucker will probably move them to New Jersey. I love how they make it sound like Buffalo is a suburb of Toronto. At least Buffalo doesn't have a crazy ass mayor who says he has plenty of pussy to eat at home.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 11-24-2013 at 07:59 PM.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't think that his intention as there are already TWO New Jersey teams: The Jets and the Giants.

There is a fear here that the game in Toronto the Bills play will result in a gradual shift of ALL games being played in Toronto. It's stupid and Toronto should just start their own team, there's enough of a regional base here for two teams in Western New York and Southern Ontario...

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What would have been a great story is if the rest of his band told him to fuck off upon replacing Richie. They're all rich enough, so they should have. My wife and her friends are Bon Jovi fans. They saw him back in July, but got tickets about 6 months earlier, before the replacement. They were totally disappointed with the show. Said they'll never see him again. I'm sure a good chunk of his fan base is turned off by his poor decision. I don't much care for Richie, but I heard his most recent solo release was better than the last plate o' shit he served up with Jon.

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    there's enough of a regional base here for two teams in Western New York and Southern Ontario...
    Do you really think that's true? I'm not sure with the hockey-centric culture up there.

Oh dear.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I dunno...when I came back from TO after the first '07 VH show I got stuck in a crowd of football fans at the border. The duty free was mobbed, it looked like the beer companies announced they were stopping production. Fighting in the store and in the parking lot over Budweiser, of all brands...it was a zoo!

Probably the longest it took me to get through the border.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensible Shoes View Post
    Do you really think that's true? I'm not sure with the hockey-centric culture up there.
    Yeah, they're typically selling out a team that has won nothing and hasn't made the playoffs over over a decade. I think the last home game was close and owner Ralph Wilson ended up buying up some tickets, but he's still making quite a bit of money as he owns everything. Not counting the Toronto game, the Bills will probably still sell out every single home game since they have only one left against Miami...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What's dumb is when they move a sports team from the originating town to another town but they don't change the name when the new location doesn't match the name. The Lakers originally came from Minnesota where there are 10,000 lakes. The Jazz came from New Orleans. Jazz didn't come from Utah. There aren't 10,000 lakes in LA. The Buffalo Bills is a clever name based on the fame of William Cody AKA Buffalo Bill. It fits in with the city name and has a nice ring to it but William Cody was from Iowa and had his ranch in Wyoming. He isn't tied to Buffalo in any way other than probably doing a wild west show there. The thing is if they move up to Toronto it's a famous American name. It certainly has nothing to do with Canada.

If Buffalo is going to be a suburb of Toronto then just get rid of the customs inspection and the border. It's got to be the only city and suburb you now need a passport to go between.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    What's dumb is when they move a sports team from the originating town to another town but they don't change the name when the new location doesn't match the name. The Lakers originally came from Minnesota where there are 10,000 lakes. The Jazz came from New Orleans. Jazz didn't come from Utah. There aren't 10,000 lakes in LA. The Buffalo Bills is a clever name based on the fame of William Cody AKA Buffalo Bill. It fits in with the city name and has a nice ring to it but William Cody was from Iowa and had his ranch in Wyoming. He isn't tied to Buffalo in any way other than probably doing a wild west show there. The thing is if they move up to Toronto it's a famous American name. It certainly has nothing to do with Canada.

If Buffalo is going to be a suburb of Toronto then just get rid of the customs inspection and the border. It's got to be the only city and suburb you now need a passport to go between.
    Tijauna's a suburb of San Diego. Thousands come across the border to work here and go back to Mexico at night.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's stupid and Toronto should just start their own team, there's enough of a regional base here for two teams in Western New York and Southern Ontario...
    They already have their own football team in the CFL known as the Toronto Argonauts.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Updated Nov 25, 2013 12:17 PM ET

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP)

Jon Bon Jovi's publicist tells The Associated Press that while the New Jersey rocker is interested in becoming an NFL owner one day, he's not currently pursuing the Buffalo Bills.

Ken Sunshine calls a report that Bon Jovi is actively involved in purchasing the Bills ''preposterous.'' Sunshine notes the Bills are not for sale and adds that Bon Jovi has too much respect for owner Ralph Wilson to consider engaging in discussions for buying the team.

Sunshine spoke by phone Monday, a day after CBSSports.com posted a story citing unidentified sources that Bon Jovi is among the parties positioning themselves to purchase the Bills after Wilson's death. The 95-year-old Wilson has maintained he has no interest in selling the franchise during his lifetime.

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I guess he thinks his stint in the Arena League with the Philadelphia Soul was enough to prep him for the big time.

Fuck..I live in Philly and don't have a clue (nor do I care to) about the status of the Soul these days.
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    What would have been a great story is if the rest of his band told him to fuck off upon replacing Richie. They're all rich enough, so they should have. My wife and her friends are Bon Jovi fans. They saw him back in July, but got tickets about 6 months earlier, before the replacement. They were totally disappointed with the show. Said they'll never see him again. I'm sure a good chunk of his fan base is turned off by his poor decision. I don't much care for Richie, but I heard his most recent solo release was better than the last plate o' shit he served up with Jon.
    Meh. Bon Jovi's material is mediocre regardless of who is in his band at any given time.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Shame on Buffalo for allowing itself to become Toronto's bitch!

The Bills will fit right in with the rest of the loser sports franchises in that shithole Toronto!

We just had to back out of a hockey tournament in Buffalo because the PUSSY Canadians demanded they change it to a NO CHECKING tournament! Those fags are pussifying their own sport!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Never thought of Bon jovi as a band , pretty much in the same way the company I work for isn't one . They are just employed by jbj plc .
    fuck your fucking framing

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Meh. Bon Jovi's material is mediocre regardless of who is in his band at any given time.
    Indeed, but as much as I can't stand him/them, this is another case of fucking up what the fans want to see and hear, like some other band we know.

Simple rule. Give the people what they want! Hell, the Kinks even gave an album that title.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Richie Sambora

I WILL Return to Bon Jovi

11/24/2013 1:23 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Richie Sambora's hasty departure from Bon Jovi was only temporary ... so claims the guitar player himself, who tells us his shredding days with the band are hardly over.

The 54-year old rock legend was blowing out of L.A.X. when we asked about his rift with the band ... and Sambora told us to keep the faith.

We broke the story ... Sambora pulled out of Bon Jovi's current world tour for "personal issues" -- Richie sources say it was a fight over money, but others in the band claim Richie was hitting the bottle again.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CVH Rulz View Post
    Updated Nov 25, 2013 12:17 PM ET

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP)

Jon Bon Jovi's publicist tells The Associated Press that while the New Jersey rocker is interested in becoming an NFL owner one day, he's not currently pursuing the Buffalo Bills.

Ken Sunshine calls a report that Bon Jovi is actively involved in purchasing the Bills ''preposterous.'' Sunshine notes the Bills are not for sale and adds that Bon Jovi has too much respect for owner Ralph Wilson to consider engaging in discussions for buying the team.

Sunshine spoke by phone Monday, a day after CBSSports.com posted a story citing unidentified sources that Bon Jovi is among the parties positioning themselves to purchase the Bills after Wilson's death. The 95-year-old Wilson has maintained he has no interest in selling the franchise during his lifetime.

The speculation here is that he backtracked because he's talking about the owner dying and doesn't want to piss off the family, but that he's indeed a suitor to be part of a group that buys the team...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Bills are a shitty team, anyway.

Does it really matter who owns what percentage of a turd?

Obviously there is plenty of money to be made even with a NFL team that has a losing record, but how much money can Bon Jovi really need vs. associating his name with the Buffalo Bills?

Whatever.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Obviously there is plenty of money to be made even with a NFL team that has a losing record
    The Browns are proof of that. Been shitty since their return to the league and it's still like a license to print money. And they just got money out of the city to pay for "fan-centric" improvements to the stadium like new scoreboards and faster escalators.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The NFL is looking to go international. That is why the games are being played in London and 3 are scheduled to be played there in 2014. Placing a team in Canada would appear to fit right into what they are trying to do. Also, do you think you would get a bigger TV deal if the team was in Toronto or in Buffalo? TV is where the money is for the NFL and the franchise.

Very nice website for the game in 3 days - http://www.billsintoronto.com/
    The game in 3 days isn’t a sell-out as of this time. It is a dome though - looks like a nice modern stadium.
    Just remember boys and girls, to get Nick the Dick and his partner FORD off your porch when they come to your home you just need to pay them for the pizza.

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    and faster escalators.
    So fans can leave the stadium faster after the latest embarrassment?
    My karma just ran over your dogma.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zing! View Post
    So fans can leave the stadium faster after the latest embarrassment?
    You'd think, but it's likely so they can get to their seats faster and tailgate right up until game time.

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What Roger's wants, Roger's gets.

Shut up and dance!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Shame on Buffalo for allowing itself to become Toronto's bitch!
    Still pissed you're not allowed in Canada huh? It's understandable, I would be too.

Does Detroit still exist?
    WE'RE ON A MISSION FROM ROTH.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by guwapo_rocker View Post
    Still pissed you're not allowed in Canada huh? It's understandable, I would be too.

Does Detroit still exist?
    I'm allowed in Canada you bastard!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It always makes me laugh when people talk about Bon Jovi selling out.

To do that you need to sell in to start with - Jon seems to be an odd little man driven by fame more than anything else. Lisa Lampanelli (who to be fair is not without her faults) said he was the dumbest man she interviewed during her 10 years at Rolling Stone - you have to think that was a pretty high bar.

I'm saying this as someone who like many people who post here feels ashamed at their horrific drunken attempts at singing 'Living on a Prayer' in clubs in the late 80s and would never admit it now...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Buttixx View Post
    What Roger's wants, Roger's gets.
    If they want the Bills or some other team, they need to build a new stadium. The Roger's Centre sucks asshole for football games and is a souless, desolate yuppie dicklick land with no tailgating allowed! A nice area just outside Toronto would be the spot.

The Bills President Russ Brandon recently hinted he might be for ending the Toronto series because it's just another away game with few actual Bill's fans there and a bunch of luxury box jerkoffs swilling martinis and caviar with nothing better to do on Sundays...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post

To do that you need to sell in to start with - Jon seems to be an odd little man driven by fame more than anything else. Lisa Lampanelli (who to be fair is not without her faults) said he was the dumbest man she interviewed during her 10 years at Rolling Stone - you have to think that was a pretty high bar.

I'm saying this as someone who like many people who post here feels ashamed at their horrific drunken attempts at singing 'Living on a Prayer' in clubs in the late 80s and would never admit it now...
    It's funny, but I'm the last guy to find Bon Jovi rather likeable, but I do. He's such an unpretentious sellout it's hard to not appreciate his overall honesty. BTW, I AM NOT A FAN of the music at all and never could stand Bon Jovi songs. But I do think he's a hard working guy and is far more genuine than say the likes of Sammy Hagar and I respect that.

That being said, I'd rather listen to a blender on high for 24 hours than a 45 minute Bon Jovi album...

Shut up and dance!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The problem with the Bill's in Toronto series is that the organizers assumed everyone in Toronto

would support the Bill's. Truth is, we have been watching NFL football up here for decades and we all

have different allegiances. I grew up a Cowboy's fan (shut up I know), my friends all support different teams

of their own. So it doesn't matter who the Bill's play here, the crowd is going to be split.

It's true about the place being half full of corporate asshats as well, and that doesn't help. If Toronto had it's

own team the atmosphere would be different imo.

I have no problem with the Rogers Centre for football though, it's great when you get a good crowd in there.

Sucks for concerts though. As for tailgating, that won't happen anywhere in the city, at least in the sense you would be used to

because of our extremely strict liquor laws.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I didn't know about the liquor laws, I thought it was mostly a space and parking issue with no open lots like around most stadiums usually located in a suburban rallying point in America. Technically, they've clamped down on liquor here too: but in a relative sense, Erie County (Buffalo area) is very permissive for booze and the bars can be open until 4am.

I heard one of the big criticisms of the players in the turf is horrible there...

Shut up and dance!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I didn't know about the liquor laws, I thought it was mostly a space and parking issue with no open lots like around most stadiums usually located in a suburban rallying point in America. Technically, they've clamped down on liquor here too: but in a relative sense, Erie County (Buffalo area) is very permissive for booze and the bars can be open until 4am.

I heard one of the big criticisms of the players in the turf is horrible there...
    The turf was upgraded a while ago, but I think they need to switch to grass.

Rogers picked up the dome for pennies and they have been making upgrades yearly.

I like the location, it is convenient for everyone as it is attached to Union Station.

I hate paying 12 bucks for a beer though.

Even with a massive parking lot drinking would not be allowed.

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's funny, but I'm the last guy to find Bon Jovi rather likeable, but I do. He's such an unpretentious sellout it's hard to not appreciate his overall honesty. BTW, I AM NOT A FAN of the music at all and never could stand Bon Jovi songs. But I do think he's a hard working guy and is far more genuine than say the likes of Sammy Hagar and I respect that.

That being said, I'd rather listen to a blender on high for 24 hours than a 45 minute Bon Jovi album...
    I like a few Bon Jovi songs. There, I said it.
    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fag.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by guwapo_rocker View Post
    Even with a massive parking lot drinking would not be allowed.
    I thought you Canadians were known for your drinking?

Shut up and dance!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, but not in parking lots.

Shut up and dance!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The fewer cars involved the better.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post

Well, that's just it, really: Bon Jovi had no credibility to begin with. Even in the context of the 1980s hard rock scene. His music was manufactured to sell records to teenaged chicks. To be fair, probably every other band signed to a major label has that same aim. Bon Jovi's music is just a little more blatant in being designed to do so. Maybe he actually believes the songs he manufactures are more than fluff. Maybe he actually considers himself an artist. Maybe he really is that dumb.
    He's had a huge degree of success as a commodity. Bon Jovi, to me, has always been more of a brand than a band. The brand just happens to be in the music field. It's only natural that he "went country" when that country-pop explosion started selling big units in the mainstream. It was only natural that he tried his hand in mediocre rom-com movies years back. It's money. There's money in part-ownership of an NFL team. No big shock.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I like Bon Jovi
    I really love you baby, I love what you've got
    Let's get together we can, Get hot

Thread Information