Today @ 06:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 3,448 Posts

Posted: Thursday, 10 April 2014 9:55AM

Report links Bon Jovi to Bills once again

By Joe Buscaglia

JoeB@wgr550.com

(WGR 550) -- Before the founder and owner of the Buffalo Bills, Ralph C. Wilson, Jr., had passed away of natural causes, there was a rumor that musician Jon Bon Jovi was attempting to get in the ranks of NFL owners. Last time around he was mentioned and linked with the Bills, and once again the rocker's aspirations for owning a football team has been tied to Buffalo.

According to Bleacher Report's Dan Pompei, a few around the league believe that Bon Jovi is expected to join up with a pair of heavy hitters to put together a group to purchase the Bills. Here is the excerpt from Pompei's April 10 column:

"NFL honchos expect rocker Jon Bon Jovi to make a push to purchase the Bills, perhaps in concert with Maple Leafs magnate Larry Tanenbaum. Bon Jovi is connected with Tanenbaum and Tim Leiweke, CEO of Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment Group. There were rumors about Bon Jovi wanting to purchase the team before Ralph Wilson's death, but the team was not for sale then. It is now. There are expected to be other bidders as well, and a primary factor in who gets the team is going to be where the Bills will call home. If one of the ownership groups can get a stadium built in Buffalo, that group may have the edge. It is possible the Bon Jovi group may want to relocate to Toronto—or even Los Angeles. Lieweke previously was involved with the L.A. Kings and tried to bring an NFL team there before." - Dan Pompei, Bleacher Report

A few other names have been tied to the Bills to this point, including the family of current Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs. Any potential new owner needs to be approved by 24 of the 31 other franchises in the league.

http://www.wgr550.com/Report-links-B...again/18781777
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I dunno if anyone cares or not, but the Bon Jovi thing is seen as more a novelty and is "more speculation than reality," because it will be virtually impossible to move the Bills for at least seven years, and very difficult in the eighth year still even at the paltry $28.5 million buyout (which is $400 million per year for the first seven and a few after the 8th year). For more info, the local article in the Buffalo News is here

Under Lease Court Could Bar Any New Owner From Moving Buffalo Bills

3. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (04-13-2014)

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-09-2022 @ 10:36 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,465 Times in 1,023 Posts

All I know is if you become a bon jovi fan I'll have to call you a homo lol
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I dunno if anyone cares or not, but the Bon Jovi thing is seen as more a novelty and is "more speculation than reality," because it will be virtually impossible to move the Bills for at least seven years, and very difficult in the eighth year still even at the paltry $28.5 million buyout (which is $400 million per year for the first seven and a few after the 8th year).
    Novelty or not, there is no way in hell I could live with the team being moved to Toronto. Nuthin' against my Canadian friends, but the simple fact is this: The finest football I've ever witnessed took place between the Bills and the Miami Dolphins during the ten year period of 1983-1993.

Any true Dolphin fan holds the utmost respect (NOT hatred) for the Bills, and a feeling of compassion for the trials they and their fans have gone through in the past decade, not only as a team but as a city.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Novelty or not, there is no way in hell I could live with the team being moved to Toronto. Nuthin' against my Canadian friends, but the simple fact is this: The finest football I've ever witnessed took place between the Bills and the Miami Dolphins during the ten year period of 1983-1993.

Any true Dolphin fan holds the utmost respect (NOT hatred) for the Bills, and a feeling of compassion for the trials they and their fans have gone through in the past decade, not only as a team but as a city.
    One of my greatest memories is going to my last playoff game where the Bills throttled the Dolphins in rushing yards 29-10 and basically forced Don Shula to retire...

And Toronto can get their own fucking team! Same thing with LA...

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

i think Toronto is the 3rd or 5th largest market in all of North America, so this is inevitable, but I don't relish the thought either.

I think there is some agreement made to move them in the shorter term but perhaps under the next commisioner?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    i think Toronto is the 3rd or 5th largest market in all of North America, so this is inevitable, but I don't relish the thought either.

I think there is some agreement made to move them in the shorter term but perhaps under the next commisioner?
    No, if you read the article, actually a lot of people in the NFL do want an existing team to move to Canada. There are a lot of barriers in place in the near term at least. That's not to say that Toronto won't have an NFL team, I think they will with an expansion to Toronto and LA for two additional teams. Bon Jovi and the Canadian group are viewed as the least likely at this point. WTF would they need Bon Jovi for? I think Trump will own the team before he does.

LOL His net worth is like a third total of what the Bills are worth. Why would Rogers need him as their poster boy? I think there is a potential of him investing along with a group led by Trump and Jim Kelly or something. But Jon will never be the sole owner, he's not near rich enough...

I should add by the time it is actually plausible to move the Buffalo Bills anywhere (seven years at least, and even then it's a narrow window fraught with complications), there will be again league expansion. Maybe even four more teams by then...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 04-13-2014 at 12:55 PM.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

As much fun as it is to hate on Bon Jovi...the year they had Cinderella open (1987?)...your ol' pal Sada took 2 chicks to the concert. TWO!! Hell yeah!!!! Tiffany and Jodi I was so studly that night.

Never got laid but I did make out & got ass grabby with both girls.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I have it on good authority that this commisioner will not move the Bills to Toronto or any other city...who knows if my sources are correct

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I dont see a current team being moved to canuckia but I could see the NFL expanding, knowing those greedy fucks it will be canuckia and london to begin with, they cant wait to go global.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I like to see franchises stay where they are within reason.

Look at the NBA and Seattle's team. They lose the team when they were poised to land Durant.

I think the NBA is a little more solid in terms of leadership and revenue compared to the NBA so maybe not as big a concern

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I still do not understand the Sonics moving, they had some really good teams.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    I have it on good authority that this commisioner will not move the Bills to Toronto or any other city...who knows if my sources are correct
    The commissioner doesn't move anything. A new owner does pending league approval and after shelling out a fuckload of money. In this case, the entire value of the team X2 would be the cost of moving the Bills for seven years. Plus, this league will be expanding. I think they want more teams, and Ontario/New York/Northern Pennsylvania can support another team in this radius. Add to that the fact that the current Toronto stadium is a pretty souless and gay way to watch NFL football with the no-tailgating regulations it starts to muddy what some thought was obvious....

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

There will be teams in Toronto and Vancouver before London, IMHO. There is a small, but ardent Euro fanclub for American football. But I can't see that supporting a team...

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Canuckia makes more sense, the NFL is dieing to go international though, I dont think it is a good idea but greed is a powerful motivator.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The commissioner doesn't move anything. A new owner does pending league approval and after shelling out a fuckload of money. In this case, the entire value of the team X2 would be the cost of moving the Bills for seven years. Plus, this league will be expanding. I think they want more teams, and Ontario/New York/Northern Pennsylvania can support another team in this radius. Add to that the fact that the current Toronto stadium is a pretty souless and gay way to watch NFL football with the no-tailgating regulations it starts to muddy what some thought was obvious....
    The commisioner has a huge say in any franchises being moved, does he not?

I agree with 100 % about Toronto=Souless

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Toronto woudl need to build a new stadium

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    As much fun as it is to hate on Bon Jovi...the year they had Cinderella open (1987?)...your ol' pal Sada took 2 chicks to the concert. TWO!! Hell yeah!!!! Tiffany and Jodi I was so studly that night.

Never got laid but I did make out & got ass grabby with both girls.
    Admittedly, that's the one thing Bon Jovi concerts were good for..... lots of slutty rocker chicks.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TFM_Dale View Post
    I still do not understand the Sonics moving, they had some really good teams.
    Fuck Howard Schultz for betraying the fans and selling out to those right wing Oklahomo oil bastards.

That's why I can't drink Starfucks coffee to this day (not that it was all that great in the first place)

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The commissioner doesn't move anything. A new owner does pending league approval and after shelling out a fuckload of money. .
    Nickd, do you really think it works that way? No one is shelling out that kind of money before first knowing with certainty what the league will allow. So in that sense the commisioner moves the team.

When the Grizzlies were sold to Mr Heisly he knew he could move them to Memphis and had to present his precise plans to Mr Stern before getting approval to buy team.

When the Grizzlies were granted the expansion franchise, they had to agree to hire Stu Jackson as their GM from teh NBA head office...a move that would ultimately contribute to their demise. All of these details are laid out by each commish

Do you really think a new owner is approved before every last detail is worked out well in advance? C'mon man
    Last edited by Romeo Delight; 04-13-2014 at 05:02 PM.

Thread Information