• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Kristy Reviews The B.B. King 10 Disc Box Set

It is fucking awesome!

As the owner of numerous shitty and half-assed slopped together box sets this is one major expectation to the rule. No filler, no bullshit "remixes" or wasted studio outtakes. Ladies & Gentlemen..' pretty much spans B.B.'s career from 1949 to 2008. The remastering is nicely done, too without all that "tinny" mind-numbing tech-o-gimmick. This one, next to the Jack Bruce I bought last week will take some time to get through but this is more than well worth the listen disc-by-disc. So blow me, all you failed musicians. Enjoy your crappy Metallica or new Ozzy or what-the-fuck-ever.
  • VHscraps
    Veteran
    • Jul 2009

Glad you brought this to my attention, Kristy - I'm in the mood for this stuff now.
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

There is some interesting stuff to be found here. I'd call it rare over rehash. For example, some well recorded live tracks for his 1971 album 'Live In Japan', 1970 'Indianola Mississippi Seeds', 1978's 'Midnight Believer.' I haven't hit his 80's output yet. It's really a well put together set.

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

Thanks so much for the heads-up on this. I hope this includes material from the "Live At The Regal" album, which I only found once on CD around 1990. Sadly, it sounded as if it was recorded underwater in a child's plastic swimming pool.

Crap, between this, the new Hendix doc/Live At Miami Pop Festival, the Breaking Bad Complete Series boxed set, the upcoming Lou Reed career anthology and various gifts for friends and family, I'll be in hock up to my eyeballs until sometime in September of 2014.

Merry Christmas indeed, mother-fuckers.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Yes it does, 5 songs from his 1964 period

"Everyday I Have The Blues"
          "Sweet Little Angel"
          It's My Own Fault"
          How Blue Can You Get?"
          "Please Love Me"

There are some sporadic live recordings to be found here and I have not dove into the earlier years of the CD here so not sure the sound but overall, the remastering seems to be okay as compared to other box sets. I also picked up this (used) and it looks to be quite interesting though I am not all that familiar with Bruce's music:

And then I saw this:

Not so much a box set as a decent remastering of 461 but it seems suspect. Over-extended studio jams really don't interest me as much as some of the unreleased material Clapton's early to mid-70's period. Much of his 70's catalog reissues has been a letdown even the 30 (or 40 or whatever) "Anniversary" of 'Slowhand' sucked. E.C. Was Here, No Reason To Cry, Backless and even the dismal live album he did should all be released as one box set reissue but 461 seems to be the creme of the crop of Clapton's entire 70's output - at least in my opinion it was. If I decent and simple reissue of the reissue of 461 ever comes out, I'll definitely pick that one up but $60 for a bunch of long forgotten studio outtakes really bore me and some of those tunes were already released on the Crossroads box set anyway.

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

The Jack Bruce set covers a great deal of ground, and thankfully stays away from the dismal, coke-binging West, Bruce & Lang overdriven power trio mush. The set pretty much focuses on Bruce as a composer, and really holds up well. I must admit however, there is a boat-load of material included that will leave you scrambling for the remote, as it is at times redundant of typical 1970s-era navel gazing, "Look at me" jazz rock fusion jamming.

For Clapton, I could generally live without some of his reissued garbage, as they contain the same sort of pointless 15 minute long guitar work out/sludgefests that made punk rock so refreshing, IE: the lack of pretentious solos and wank-a-thons.

The punks got it right: Screw side-long guitar solos. They impress nobody but other guitar players, and even half of them have gone off for a piss break or to the concession stand for more beer and a pretzel. And by then, the chicks have gone out for a smoke or have decided to go sit in the car.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Kristy
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

That Jack Bruce box set does contain some gems long since out-of-print or just impossible to find. The guy was never much of a solo commercial success and despite his highly versatile bass playing skills he was never really accredited for being a vocalist of which I always thought were quite good. Some throwaways to be found here like his collaboration with Zappa on Apostrophe and that dismal Bruce/Trower (BLT) outing. It does contain 'So They Invented Race' which is proabbly one of my all-time fav tunes.

The guy is really one hell of a diverse musician.

As for Clapton, I'm not big on the guy but his 70's output was at least tolerable even though it was poor and highly unoriginal (borrowing heavily from J.J. Cale and Don Williams); his 80's over commercialized shit just makes me cringe.
              Last edited by Kristy; 11-27-2013, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• Fairwrning
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Ghey....

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Go wash your toupee, asshole.

Comment

• Von Halen
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Kristy
                    It is fucking awesome!

As the owner of numerous shitty and half-assed slopped together box sets this is one major expectation to the rule. No filler, no bullshit "remixes" or wasted studio outtakes. Ladies & Gentlemen..' pretty much spans B.B.'s career from 1949 to 2008. The remastering is nicely done, too without all that "tinny" mind-numbing tech-o-gimmick. This one, next to the Jack Bruce I bought last week will take some time to get through but this is more than well worth the listen disc-by-disc. So blow me, all you failed musicians. Enjoy your crappy Metallica or new Ozzy or what-the-fuck-ever.
                    "Expectation" to the rule? You mean exception?

This shit is ok, but why don't you step into the 21st century, you old hag.

Comment

• Kristy
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

2008 is the 21st Century you forever stuck in 1985 filthy hippie.

Comment

• Von Halen
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Kristy
                        2008 is the 21st Century you forever stuck in 1985 filthy hippie.
                        Actually, '85 wasn't a great year. I'm stuck more around '80-'83.

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Yeah, filthy hippie years.

Comment

• Mushroom
                            Commando
                            • Jul 2009

You can tell Kristy doesn't Wiki because she's a shitty speller and sometimes has a hard time putting sentences together. She's the real deal!

Comment

• Mushroom
                              Commando
                              • Jul 2009

Kristy needs to listen to some Texas Hippie Coalition to catch up with modern times. She might even like to bang the singer.

Comment

Working...