Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

The Making of the Skyscraper Video

From http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/th...8334&tn=0&mr=0
    The Making of the Skyscraper Video

Werner Braun Jun 17, 2005

David Lee Roth hired Ron Kauk and me to help Galen Rowell do this album cover. His production people got him a horse to ride to half dome along with all of the other equipment for this shoot. David decided he wanted to walk and not ride his horse so I asked if I could ride it. “Sure go ahead” he says, “I want to walk”. Cool, I hop on and away we go.

Now Kauk was lagging behind somewhere else during this time sorting out his last minute details telling me earlier he’ll catch up to us. He catches up to the crew and asks where I am? They tell him I’m riding David’s horse. He jogs up the mist trail and catches up to me at the top of Nevada Falls. Ron tells me I’m not riding that thing by myself and he then hops on too. Shit! Two of us on that thing now. We approach towards the saddle the horse became more and more tired, somehow it made it. We make camp at the saddle for tomorrows shoot.

The next day we all troop up to the top for the cover shot shoot.

Galen is running around with his camera trying to figure out the best location. He spots his ace in the hole and tells Ron and me to set up David at the spot you see on that cover. Now we didn’t even have a bolt kit with us, and Galen wants David out in some no mans land with very little features for anything that’ll hold worth sh-it. I go WTF Galen there’s nothing out there and he tells us to do the best we can. Ok man, whatever.

Kauk goes down and places a bunch of A4 sh-it. The final piton where David is supposed to hang off is this pin Kuak puts in (a long med. Lost arrow) sticking more than ¾ of the way out. Ron tells me he hopes it holds David’s ass. Ha ha ha ha

Ron tells me to go to David’s position and set him up when he gets there. I’m on a separate rope and David rappels down to the last pin Ron placed. He takes one look at that thing and says “fu-ck! I’m not hanging off that thing, It’ll pull out and I’ll die”. He is now visibly shaking real bad and scared shitless.

I tell David that I’m the rigger and that he has to have faith in the rigger and the rigger will never lie to you. Now David has probably heard every bullshit line but then he’s never really aid climbed. I tell him that piton is one foot long! And that 7” of that sucker he’s looking at is buried in that horizontal crack to his total disbelief. Ron hears the whole dialog and starts to roll his eyes and hint to me keep it going all while Galen is starting to get impatient with our scared mans delay. Finally after more bullshit lines David buys them and gently as hell gets on that thing shaking like sh-it until Galen shoots the camera.

The shoot is on! David does his Hollywood mode. smiles and all in between bouts of shakes and deep breaths. Galen shoots off his 20 or so rolls in record time and David gets his rope back from above and jugs out. I clean the piton he was on with one jerk of my hand. Kauks eyes roll again and we’re out of there after cleaning the rest of that sh-ity mess.

And David Lee Roth becomes the “Skyscraper”

He gave me and Ron a gold plated carabinier engraved "Diamond Dave" on it, after the shoot. Sorry Ammon, ha ha ha ha
    There are a couple of other quotes from other climbers at the same website.

the kid
    Trad climber
    fayetteville, wv

Jun 8, 2012 - 04:42am PT

I got to work on that video shoot. humped loads of gear around for the cameraman.
    it was a fun gig, good money and i get this photo of DLR.
    He came to josh that winter and actually got psyched on climbing.
    He would hire Kauk to take him climbing and one weekend i got to hang with Ron and David. GEt him away from his handlers and he was a cool guy.
    FYI- he still climbs. HE is on tour now and came into the Inner Peaks gym in Charlotte a couple of weeks ago before this show.

Todd Gordon
    Joshua Tree, Cal

Jun 8, 2012 - 05:50am PT
    I've seen DLR out cragging a few times......once at the Gunks and once at an artificial climbing wall in L A (years ago before all the gyms sprouted up...).......He was really into climbing, hanging at the crags with his homies, and being a climber. He was super friendly, approachable, and remembered us (my girlfriend and I) the next time he saw us out and about. .....he was running with the Devil...

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So, long story short, Dave had a reason to be worried.
    I brought my pencil!!!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cool read Sesh!

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great story about Dave's finest record sleeve!

He's climbed up the toughest Himalayan peak K2 twice, if I remember well, so...

But trusting gear while rock climbing is nothing easy.

Like "horizontal" or "total", "pitons" and "rappel" are French words by the way.

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Now there is an idea for a Roth Show. Dig up the old footage and talk about climbing the mountain.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Cool read Sesh!
    Not really. I was @98.6F when I read it.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by big fatty View Post
    Now there is an idea for a Roth Show. Dig up the old footage and talk about climbing the mountain.
    That would be great!!!

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Shyboy - Fan Made Video

I'm sure this has probably already been seen by most here, as it was uploaded in 2010, but I just ran across it now for the first time, and figure it is worthy of another post, but don't want to start a new thread. So because the footage is from the Skyscraper tour, I figured I'll just post it here.

This video is amazing, and the uploader did a mighty impressive editing job synching up the footage. It is unusual as he combined Billy Sheehan footage with live pro-shot Skyscraper 1988 footage, which of course they didn't actually perform on that tour. I am so outta the loop, I don't even have the pro-shot footage. I assume it is from the 1988 Japan special.

Last edited by big fatty; 11-30-2013 at 01:39 AM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That video is like One Million Years BC.

Historically it is all over the place but still worth a look...

Thread Information