Thread: Got into alittle tiff w Matt Cord from WMMR

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    12-25-2016 @ 01:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Got into alittle tiff w Matt Cord from WMMR

So he's playing a block of VH then here's comes some hargar crap.

I sent a text which I was surprised he read on air. "Nice VH block ruined by Van Hagar"!

He was like come on man I like both versions. Then he goes on to say how him and one of his buds were at a bar discussing about both singers. He says Hagar would always do Dave era songs but Dave would never do Hagars material because he couldn't sing in that range. First off why would Dave want to sing that crap anyway!!

Then he's like here we go he comes all the texts.
    I sent another one saying Dave never said he was a good singer he's a performer! Those that said he couldn't sing were the one's that never liked him in the first place!

He comes back with the They had more top 10's with Hagar nonsense. My response was yea with Hagar they turned into a pop band!

I wish he would've read what other people was saying...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-08-2021 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The guy sounds like Eddie Trunk. His argument is that while Dave is in the band, all of those Hagar hits will never be heard again live. This sounds like a good thing to me. Dave is doing the true Van Halen fans a favor but you always will have these goofy Hagar fans out there that think those "hits" were actually good music. I don't get it but then again i don't get Auburn fans either.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 02:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

Well, if the Hagaritas want to hear those songs, they can listen to Vic struggle his way through them while Hagarelli screeches over the din.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,504 Posts

Blog Entries
    How many CVH tunes did Hagar actually sing on a regular basis when Van Hagar was a working band (as opposed to the one-off 2004 reunion)?

Let's see:

Jump
    Ain't Talking About Love
    Panama

I think possibly You Really Got Me on the 1988/1989 tour. I seem to remember hearing a bootleg of Van Halen in Japan 1989 where they did YRGM. Dunno if they did it on the Monsters of Rock stateside tour or not.

It's not like Sammy took the approach Gary Cherone did on the VHIII tour, where all of these CVH tunes other than the above-mentioned CVH greatest hits standards were dusted off and given an airing. Partly because Sam had a fair amount of solo Hagar tunes to draw upon prior to joining Van Halen, and partly because Hagar never WANTED any comparisons between what he was doing with Van Halen and what Dave did. And if I were Hagar in that situation, honestly I wouldn't want to go onstage and sing a bunch of Roth tunes, either.

Sammy sounded just as bad doing the CVH tunes he DID bother doing as Roth undoubtedly would have singing Van Hagar tunes. Really, it comes down to attitude and approach rather than vocal abilities. Frankly, when Hagar's in Van Halen I don't want to hear him singing Roth-era stuff any more than I'd want to hear Roth doing his take on a Sam Halen tune.

I mean. it seems fairly obvious to say that those parts of the Van Halen fanbase hoping a reunion with Roth would happen weren't basing that on the pretext that "it would be great to have Dave back in the band because I always wondered how he would sound singing Why Can't This Be Love".

5. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

binnie (12-03-2013),DavidLeeNatra (12-02-2013)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Why did they bother to play Roth songs when Sam was in the band? I don't recollect Ed ever speaking of why. If they needed tunes to fill out a setlist, there were plenty of other sources to draw from.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,402 Times in 6,057 Posts

It's like fashion, some music ages well, some doesn't.

Van Hagar hasn't aged well, Van Halen has.

8. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Satan (11-29-2013),Terry (11-30-2013)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2021 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    The guy sounds like Eddie Trunk. His argument is that while Dave is in the band, all of those Hagar hits will never be heard again live.
    That's why I hate that useless tubby. He's constantly making the assertion that the VH fanbase is pissed because they'll never hear the Van Hagar hits in concert again (outside of the Cabo Cunt band). Really, fat boy? Please show me solid evidence of this yearning. The sheep had their reunion concert in 2004 and it didnt go so well. The longtime VH fans had their tours in 2007 and 2012 and were quite pleased at not hearing a single Van Hagar song.

10. Thanked TJMKID for this KICKASS post:

Vuelto Loco! (12-03-2013)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,582 Times in 3,461 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    How many CVH tunes did Hagar actually sing on a regular basis when Van Hagar was a working band (as opposed to the one-off 2004 reunion)?

Let's see:

Jump
    Ain't Talking About Love
    Panama

I think possibly You Really Got Me on the 1988/1989 tour. I seem to remember hearing a bootleg of Van Halen in Japan 1989 where they did YRGM. Dunno if they did it on the Monsters of Rock stateside tour or not.

It's not like Sammy took the approach Gary Cherone did on the VHIII tour, where all of these CVH tunes other than the above-mentioned CVH greatest hits standards were dusted off and given an airing. Partly because Sam had a fair amount of solo Hagar tunes to draw upon prior to joining Van Halen, and partly because Hagar never WANTED any comparisons between what he was doing with Van Halen and what Dave did. And if I were Hagar in that situation, honestly I wouldn't want to go onstage and sing a bunch of Roth tunes, either.

Sammy sounded just as bad doing the CVH tunes he DID bother doing as Roth undoubtedly would have singing Van Hagar tunes. Really, it comes down to attitude and approach rather than vocal abilities. Frankly, when Hagar's in Van Halen I don't want to hear him singing Roth-era stuff any more than I'd want to hear Roth doing his take on a Sam Halen tune.

I mean. it seems fairly obvious to say that those parts of the Van Halen fanbase hoping a reunion with Roth would happen weren't basing that on the pretext that "it would be great to have Dave back in the band because I always wondered how he would sound singing Why Can't This Be Love".
    Hey, Sam always had his ass against the record machine!

12. 2 users say thank you to Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

fraroc (11-30-2013),Terry (11-30-2013)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,582 Times in 3,461 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carloscda View Post
    ...He says Hagar would always do Dave era songs but Dave would never do Hagars material because he couldn't sing in that range....
    Well, you should have told him and his male lover that Dave actually sang on the demos of probably at least three songs that were recorded for "5150"...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,402 Times in 6,057 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carloscda View Post
    He says Hagar would always do Dave era songs but Dave would never do Hagars material because he couldn't sing in that range. First off why would Dave want to sing that crap anyway!!
    It's a fucking idiotic argument to make.

Firstly Hagar can't sing Roth stuff, he can sing it in tune but he can't sing it the same.

Secondly assuming that Roth couldn't sing Dreams he also couldn't do a cover of this either.

Who the fuck cares...?

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-18-2015 @ 05:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 676 Posts

Dave always had an air of overt sexuality and swagger in his singing. Hagar can't do that because no matter how well he supposedly sings, he is still a fat assed turnoff to women. Who wants frontman who is that disgusting to look at?

16. 4 users say thank you to Sensible Shoes for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (12-02-2013),DLR Bridge (11-29-2013),fraroc (11-30-2013),Terry (11-30-2013)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 08:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,445 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    Why did they bother to play Roth songs when Sam was in the band? I don't recollect Ed ever speaking of why. If they needed tunes to fill out a setlist, there were plenty of other sources to draw from.
    Ed and Al knew it wouldn't be wise to deprive the fans of CVH that hung in for the ride of the new era of some of those songs. In their minds, the best part of those songs were their contributions, not Dave's. I'm sure they thought nothing of how poor of a fit Sammy, Gary and even that Mitch character were to the monumental rock they created with Dave. There's recorded proof of all three of those guys completely decimating Panama. Didn't seem to matter to the Van Halens.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Let's see:

Jump
    Ain't Talking About Love
    Panama

There were also Van Hagar attempts at Unchained (1993 and 2004, I believe) and Running With The Devil at least once in 1989. These were excruciatingly awful, and as you might imagine, I took great personal offense at the latter.

19. 2 users say thank you to Satan for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (12-02-2013),Terry (11-30-2013)

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Hey, Sam always had his ass against the record machine!
    Yeah but that's not a challenge his fat ass would press against most of the bar

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    08-03-2023 @ 07:22 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    There were also Van Hagar attempts at Unchained (1993 and 2004, I believe) and Running With The Devil at least once in 1989. These were excruciatingly awful, and as you might imagine, I took great personal offense at the latter.
    True, instead of having to listen to Hagar screech his way thru those couple of CVH songs, we can now listen to Dave screech, scream and atonally assault the melody of any given song to the point of near unrecognizability. But the bitch can twirl!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post

You said it, it's nauseating.....

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-29-2016 @ 10:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heater View Post
    True, instead of having to listen to Hagar screech his way thru those couple of CVH songs, we can now listen to Dave screech, scream and atonally assault the melody of any given song to the point of near unrecognizability. But the bitch can twirl!
    Yeah, well fuck you. I don't give a shit if you fucking like to fap listening to Hagar's music, this is the RothArmy and you can go fuck yourself, you fucking cunt.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-29-2016 @ 10:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    No wonder Betsy Hagar (his first wife) went fucking bonkers....

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMKID View Post
    That's why I hate that useless tubby. He's constantly making the assertion that the VH fanbase is pissed because they'll never hear the Van Hagar hits in concert again (outside of the Cabo Cunt band). Really, fat boy? Please show me solid evidence of this yearning. The sheep had their reunion concert in 2004 and it didnt go so well. The longtime VH fans had their tours in 2007 and 2012 and were quite pleased at not hearing a single Van Hagar song.

Eddie Trunk just says things favorable to whichever members of any given band will actually go on his radio and/or tv show.

Hagar and Anthony have appeared on That Metal Show, thus Trunk will kiss their asses. Or maybe this isn't the reason and Trunk actually likes Van Hagar tunes. Trunk always struck me as a rock fan with a vagina in terms of taste, anyway. Trunk probably thought all that MTV hair metal shite in the mid-1980s was the apex of rock music.

26. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

VHscraps (11-30-2013)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2021 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Eddie Trunk just says things favorable to whichever members of any given band will actually go on his radio and/or tv show.

Hagar and Anthony have appeared on That Metal Show, thus Trunk will kiss their asses. Or maybe this isn't the reason and Trunk actually likes Van Hagar tunes. Trunk always struck me as a rock fan with a vagina in terms of taste, anyway. Trunk probably thought all that MTV hair metal shite in the mid-1980s was the apex of rock music.

He's another delusional, chubby history revisionist just like Haggis. Trunk thinks UFO albums are just as important as early VH in shaping the history of hard rock music.

28. Thanked TJMKID for this KICKASS post:

Terry (12-03-2013)

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-28-2022 @ 12:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

When you are too stupid to know what made you great and who you are, you get rid of Roth and wake up with a hangover and Sammy Hagar sleeping on your left arm.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,999 Posts

You fucking fags are obsessed with Clichegar.

Constantly talking about him.

Even posting videos in Main. What a disgrace.

You fucknuts do a better job of keeping him on the front page, than his own Red Heads do.

31. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Terry (11-30-2013)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Come on, Von - it's 5150 Time!! You gotta embrace your inner homo and post some videos!!

33. Thanked DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (12-02-2013)

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    12-25-2016 @ 01:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Is it me or Ed looked like he didn't want to be there, cutting the song short, no interaction, etc...

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 06:44 PM
    Status
    Thanks

And that's precisely the point - I have heard / watched Hagar "singing" Dave tunes on some Van Hagar video. He patently can't sing 'em. He isn't just doing it half-assed - he actually can't bring the attitude to bear that is a characteristic of Dave Roth vocals.

It has naff all to do with "range" - and who gives a fuck about that anyway. Jeez. If I wanted range, I'd listen to opera. I want attitude and personality and the ability to overlay a good melody on what EVH offers up.

I dunno, I could be wrong, but it strikes me that the most anonymous no-mark singers in rock history undoubtedly never had a distinctive voice, but they could have reached that dubious destination - at the bottom of the heap - with a "great vocal range", but never made it because they had nothing distinctive about them apart from "yeah, he can hit really high notes".

Talk about missing the fucking point.

36. 6 users say thank you to VHscraps for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (12-03-2013),DLR Bridge (12-03-2013),Seshmeister (11-30-2013),Terry (11-30-2013),ThatArtGuy (12-01-2013),vandeleur (12-01-2013)

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 08:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,076 Posts

I have to admit, I quite enjoyed seeing Sammy sing jump. That was damn good comedy!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post

You fucknuts do a better job of keeping him on the front page, than his own Red Heads do.
    Yeah, you do have a point, there...

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-18-2015 @ 05:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 676 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post

You be quiet, Von Halen.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-29-2024 @ 02:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    And that's precisely the point - I have heard / watched Hagar "singing" Dave tunes on some Van Hagar video. He patently can't sing 'em. He isn't just doing it half-assed - he actually can't bring the attitude to bear that is a characteristic of Dave Roth vocals.

It has naff all to do with "range" - and who gives a fuck about that anyway. Jeez. If I wanted range, I'd listen to opera. I want attitude and personality and the ability to overlay a good melody on what EVH offers up.

I dunno, I could be wrong, but it strikes me that the most anonymous no-mark singers in rock history undoubtedly never had a distinctive voice, but they could have reached that dubious destination - at the bottom of the heap - with a "great vocal range", but never made it because they had nothing distinctive about them apart from "yeah, he can hit really high notes".

Talk about missing the fucking point.
    when pavarotti was still alive I once said: he has a high range, is fat and is sporting a goatie and I don't want him to sing CVH either...

Dave is not singing. He gathers us around his campfire and tells drinking stories like only he can do. that's the magic. If someone else is telling you that story, something is missing, even if he tells it word by word.

and if you don't have good drinking stories you end up in front of a fake chimney made of plastic, listening to made up stories. that's what "dreams" were made of...

41. Thanked DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

Vuelto Loco! (12-03-2013)

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    08-07-2016 @ 05:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Coverdale would sing Gillan era Deep Purple songs but Gillan has never sang Coverdale era Deep Purple songs.

Dio would sing Ozzy era Black Sabbath songs but Ozzy has never sang Dio era Black Sabbath songs.

I don't want Roth to sing Hagar era VH songs.

43. 4 users say thank you to Monkeeman for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (12-04-2013),DLR Bridge (12-03-2013),Terry (12-03-2013),Vuelto Loco! (12-03-2013)

Thread Information