A pregnant nurse was fired from her job after she refused a mandatory flu vaccine for fear it could potentially harm her unborn child.

After reading the vaccine Fluzone’s insert and learning it was “not known” whether the shot could cause harm to her unborn baby, 29-year-old healthcare worker Dreonna Breton opted not to take the risk.

The section of the insert that worried Breton states, “It is.. not known whether Fluzone can cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman or can affect reproduction capacity.” The insert also cautioned that “Fluzone should be given to a pregnant woman only if clearly needed.”

“It would be a false statement to say the flu vaccine is known to be safe during pregnancy,” Breton accurately assessed from the data available to her.

A history of miscarriage, in addition to a note from her doctor recommending she not take the vaccine made her all the more wary.
“In my view getting the flu shot would significantly and negatively impact her health because of the increased fear and anxiety it would create as well as the emotional impact it could cause if she does miscarry again,” her doctor’s note read.

As part of the Lancaster General Health network, her employer, Horizon Healthcare Services, requires all staff be inoculated.

Breton’s occupation involved going to patients’ homes and assisting with drug and nutrition infusion services.

“I honestly didn’t think it was going to be a problem but I was immediately met with the resistance that if I didn’t take the vaccine by the November 15 deadline I would be terminated,” Breton told the UK’s Daily Mail.

Despite her doctor’s note and her offer to wear a face mask when treating patients, and despite her medical history and the vaccine’s own insert denoting it “may not protect all recipients,” Breton’s employer denied her request and ultimately moved to terminate her employment.

To her surprise, her concerns were glossed over. Meanwhile she says others face little resistance when refusing vaccines based on religious grounds.

“This is important to me for the reasons it’s important to me. I feel I have a legitimate concern,” she told the Daily Mail. “I asked several doctors what happens to the fetus, or do we even know what happens and they can’t answer because the study hasn’t been done.”

“I have taken care of patients who have become paralyzed after having the shot and if that can happen to a full grown person who knows what can happen to a growing fetus.”

“It is frustrating that someone can say ‘religiously I can’t do this’ but I can say I’m not comfortable about this for serious medical reasons and I lose my job.”

“I have lost my job, one that I love and am good at, because I chose to do what I believe is best for my baby,” Breton lamented.

In contrast to Fluzone’s own declaration that it is “not known” whether the vaccine “can cause fetal harm,” the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s stance is literally “Pregnant? Get a Flu Shot.”

A section titled, “The Flu Shot is Safe for Pregnant Women,” on the CDC’s site attempts to strong-arm pregnant women into injecting themselves with potentially deadly chemical cocktails.

A program known as the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) pays off patients who experience debilitating side effects, up to and including death, resulting from vaccinations. “Each year the VAERS receives 10,000–20,000 reports of adverse events following immunization by more than 10 million vaccines,” the VAERS Wikipedia entry states.