Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

I'd certainly agree that Grunge - if we accept the validity of the term for a moment - was different in feel and aesthetic from the LA metal of the '80s. I think the problem in terms of acceptance was the the music media wanted to put 'Hair Metall' and 'Grunge' against one another, when in truth they weren't coming from the same place. Grunge - although a heavy music - was not coming out of metal, it was coming out of alt.rock. As such, the two were very different types of music.

In truth, Nirvana had far more in common with REM, Sonic Youth and The Melvins that they did the influcnes of '80s metal (Aerosmith, Cheap Trick, Kiss). It was more introspective, and self-consciously 'arty' (if you will).

Personally, I love a lot of the bands that come under the 'Grunge' label - Alice In Chains and Soundgarden, for example, are some of the greatest bands ever to bless rock. Great riffs and melodies, unique sounds, and some genuine emotional content. But the label, to me, doesn't hold. Nirvana didn't sound like any of those bands, and Pearl Jam was really just a dirtied up Classic Rock with the hedonism remooved - I just hear a poorer version of Creedence (as much as I like the first three Pearl Jam records, before they disappeared up their own assess.......)
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• ashstralia
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Feb 2004

Imma chuck my 0.02 here...

I reckon STP were a band unfairly saddled with the genre fixation. They would've been a great rock band in any era.

Then, a few short years later, we witnessed the sublime talent of Jeff Buckley and his band of no names. Still one of the best shows I've ever seen. And what little box do you put that into?

Humans have this innate need to categorise everything, but as art imitates life, it ain't like that out there in the real world.

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

I'd say 'Core' is a grunge record. But STP evolved so much with every record they're impossible to categorise......

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by binnie
          Personally, I love a lot of the bands that come under the 'Grunge' label - Alice In Chains and Soundgarden, for example, are some of the greatest bands ever to bless rock. Great riffs and melodies, unique sounds, and some genuine emotional content. But the label, to me, doesn't hold. Nirvana didn't sound like any of those bands, and Pearl Jam was really just a dirtied up Classic Rock with the hedonism remooved - I just hear a poorer version of Creedence (as much as I like the first three Pearl Jam records, before they disappeared up their own assess.......)
          I'll never forget hearing Pearl Jam's "Evenflow" the first time on the radio. I swear (then and now), I thought some radio DJ was doing a goof on Ted Nugent's "Free For All." Seriously, aside from the overall tone and attack, I can't tell 'em apart.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

Originally posted by chefcraig
            I'll never forget hearing Pearl Jam's "Evenflow" the first time on the radio. I swear (then and now), I thought some radio DJ was doing a goof on Ted Nugent's "Free For All." Seriously, aside from the overall tone and attack, I can't tell 'em apart.
            Indeed - Pearl Jam really is just classic rock dirtied up a bit.

Comment

Working...