• Show
Clear All
  • So this is love
    Veteran
    • Jan 2012

the most famous live albums from the list are:

1. Song Remains The Same, Zep.

2. Frampton Comes Alive, Frampton

Both are great live albums, brings back memories.
    Last edited by So this is love; 03-15-2014, 10:15 AM.
    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by binnie
      I've never really understood why people get so excited about Queen...........
      because you are too young to even talk about them...when you were still jumping over the fences in your father's nutsack I have seen them live (twice!). this band could simply kill anybody on stage. I am a diehard Dave fan but when it comes to live shows and ruling a crowd I will rank Freddie on number one any day of the week. not to mention the musical brillance of May, Deacon and Taylor.

now cry in your pillow, kiddo, that you will never get the chance to see these guys at their peak like I did...watch this and remember...it's a kind of magic!

Roth Army Icon
      First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
        Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
        because you are too young to even talk about them...when you were still jumping over the fences in your father's nutsack I have seen them live (twice!). this band could simply kill anybody on stage. I am a diehard Dave fan but when it comes to live shows and ruling a crowd I will rank Freddie on number one any day of the week. not to mention the musical brillance of May, Deacon and Taylor.

now cry in your pillow, kiddo, that you will never get the chance to see these guys at their peak like I did...watch this and remember...it's a kind of magic!

Actually, I'm on the downside of my 40s and I agree with Binnie. I like Queen. I have a few of their albums, but I never have understood people who get crazy over them. To me they were a good band but nothing that ever made me listen and go "wow" outside of "Bohemian", which was like nothing ever heard before in rock.
        Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

As far as the last few posts on Queen, I'm somewhere in between. Freddie had the best voice in rock and huge stage presence, May is a great guitarist and both Deacon and Taylor were very solid musicians and all took their craft seriously. This is why Queen upstaged Live Aid - because they were simply so much better than everyone else musicianship wise. So I can see why people love them say they were sort of the penultimate rock band. But at the same time, I can see how some will criticize their over-polished production and lack of versatility and their limitations when it came to producing new music consistently. Although it's not an "album", it's difficult to top the Montreal DVD with a Queen at the top if its "Game" though. Very little pyrotechnics or stage show lighting fluff, just a band doing what it does best....

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
            because you are too young to even talk about them...when you were still jumping over the fences in your father's nutsack I have seen them live (twice!).

By that logic I'm too young to talk about all '70s and '80s bands - not sure that age has much to do with it if you have ears.

I know that I'm in the majority when it comes to Queen, so I must be missing something. But to me, they just sound more like cabaret than rock. I'd say they're an awful lot closer to ABBA than most of the rest of the music that would fall under the 'hard rock' label. If people like that, fine, but it's just not for me, for the most part.
            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Satan
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

The performance at Live Aid was phenomenal enough, but Queen's records of that time were nothing to sell your soul over.

Now their 70s catalog, that's a different matter. And since the "Live Killers" album was actually from that era, it's worthy of the list, in this Devil's most unholy opinion.
              Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
              I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Nov 2004

What about Johnny Winter And Live?

Be it just for this (can't find a video version from the legendary live album, though):

And the rest delivers too.

Here's the audio anyway:

Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 03-15-2014, 02:34 PM.
                posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Nov 2004

Of course Johnny Winter And Live isn't really to be considered as the best live album ever, but it's one of the best to me at least, one of the most full of energy.

The Who's "Live at Leeds", the Stones' "Get yer Ya Ya's Out" or "Brussels Affair", The Queen's "Live Killers", AC/DC's "Got Blood if you Want It" are the ones that may make it.

I'd put "Brussels Affair" first, and the "Got Blood if you want it" very close after personally.

And among the most memorable, Janis Joplin in Calgary in 1970 with her Full Tilt Boogie Band was a real bomb as well. Compiled in "In Concert", alongside with a dozen tracks with her previous band, the Kozmic Blues Band. "Cheap Thrills" with Big Brother kicked major ass too.

posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                  posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Jack68
                    Commando
                    • Sep 2004

1.the kinks- One for the road
                    2. the who -Live @ Leeds
                    3.Johnny Cash- Live @ San Quentin
                    4.Stones-Get yer Ya"s Ya"s
                    5.Wings-Wings over America
                    "Avant Garde is French for bullshit.”

Comment

• chefcraig
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
                      What about Johnny Winter And Live?
                      This is my fave from that album. Winter and Derringer just go nuts playing all over each other.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Apr 2005

I forgot too put Kiss on the list. That was a big one. Wings and both live Johnny Winter albums are great stuff.

Comment

• chefcraig
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                          By that logic I'm too young to talk about all '70s and '80s bands - not sure that age has much to do with it if you have ears.

I know that I'm in the majority when it comes to Queen, so I must be missing something. But to me, they just sound more like cabaret than rock. I'd say they're an awful lot closer to ABBA than most of the rest of the music that would fall under the 'hard rock' label. If people like that, fine, but it's just not for me, for the most part.
                          The thing is bin, some of us geezers had to wait eight or nine months between album issues to grow with a band over several years. I believe the resentment directed comes from you younger dudes not having to live with a group as it evolved. On the contrary, you can simply pick up a platter of CDs or Youtube clips and instantly derive an opinion.

It's not a big deal, and in fact is yer birthright. Fuck, I saw a band called the Stray Cats on an ABC latenight show called Fridays, and believed they were the second coming of Christ. It was a few weeks later that I discovered a musical genre called "rock a billy", of which I'd never heard of at that time.

The experience opened up doors fer me. I found that Elvis Presley wasn't only cool for a tv special from Hawaii. That my guitar playing did not have to rely on flashy wizardry, and my solos could include chords. And a guy standing up armed with nothing more than a bass drum, a snare and a beat-to-crap cymbal could become part of the greatest rhythm section in the world, with or without a stand up bass.

Ya live, ya learn. What you find is your own journey. Open yer mouth, and feel free to speak yer piece. Do what ya feel. Shit, my dad hated the Stones and Beatles, let alone my beloved Elton John.

Fuck him and the crippled horse he rode in on. The music that matters most matters to me, and me alone. As a result, I don't give a flying fuck about who feels contrary to my opinion.

State yer case, and move on. Ya don't need to defend yerself post by post. Put yer opinion up there, then let it breathe.

And good on yer.

chef

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• vandeleur
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Sep 2009

Cool post chef
                            fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

And now for some real music...

Comment

• Kristy
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

This has to be one of the gheyest threads in a long, long time.

Comment

Working...