Thread: Best live album of all time ?

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-23-2020 @ 03:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Johnny Winter's upcoming " Roots " album sounds like it will be really good. Check out the special guests.

I still havent picked up his recent box set yet. I'm very surprised to see him mentioned here in this thread. I was just listening to " John Dawson Winter III "on vinyl a couple weekends ago from my pops record collection.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ev...-billy-gibbons

Eric Clapton, ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons, Ben Harper, Mark Knopfler, Joe Perry and Dr. John are among the guests on the second edition of classic blues covers coming from legendary blues guitarist Johnny Winter.

The follow-up to his 2011 album "Roots," Winter's manager-guitarist Paul Nelson finished mixing part two prior to heading to South By Southwest in Austin where a documentary on Winter premiered, the Texas guitarist sat in with Jimmy Kimmel's band and performed a showcase of his own. Megaforce/Sony will again release the album, most likely in June or July; the plan is for Winter to ultimately do four editions of "Roots."

"We started this series of traditional songs that Johnny grew up on -- I knew it was an easy formula for him to digest," says Nelson, who has been in Winter's band for eight years and managing him for six. "He was happy to do this and it fueled his need to do this, relearn songs from the past. It was educational."

Winter turned 70 in February, celebrating with a New York performance and Sony Legacy's release of a four-CD box set "True to the Blues." The film and Winter-branded products such as hot sauce and barbecue sauce will be released as part of his seven-decade celebration as he tours about 100 to 140 dates a year.

The documentary, "Johnny Winter: Down and Dirty," openly details the demons of Winter's youth in Beaumont, Texas, and his battles with drugs as director Greg Olliver ("Lemmy") captures him in 2010 as he is being weaned off Methadone. Future screenings are in the works. Nelson executive produced the film.

"This movie gives fans an explanation of what was wrong," Nelson says, noting that Winter spent years going through the motions and needed to become more self-sufficient in life and as a musician. "A lot of the times (in films) you see guys go from success to pits of hell and back up. For the sake of the movie, you wonder if they're going to fall off the wagon. You can see Johnny get healthier through the course of the movie. He's a little slow because of the OCD, but its more than just a music show. It's VH1 Behind the Music, but with a PBS twist."

The idea for filming Winter on the road was an idea hatched so Neal could send footage to Winter's doctors while they were getting him off drugs and helping him deal with his OCD. Winter is indeed a man of habit and backstage at the Long Center in Austin where "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" was taping, Winter killed time watching episodes of "The Twilight Zone" and "Happy Days," two of the countless shows they bring on the road to allow him to keep to his schedule.

Once he took the stage at the SXSW showcase, Winter and the Kimmel band performed segments of "Johnny B. Goode," "Jumpin' Jack Flash," "Tore Down" and "Highway 61 Revisited"; the night before, he performed "Johnny B. Goode," "Bonie Maronie" and "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl," saving his slide for the very end.

"I like playing songs from when I was first getting into music," Winter says. "That's just fun to do those songs, lot of good memories."

Winter, as the film explains, has become progressively more engaged in interviews over the last fur or five years, speaking in sentences and even paragraphs after years of delivering one word answers that frustrated most interviewers. The "Roots" project has him focused on the classics that inspired by Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters and Elmore James.

"Songs mostly from the '50s," he says of "Roots 2," "and a lot of guests. If there's good people, other good musicians, people enjoy it. I just love it."

He adds, "It's just to bring it to the people of today who haven't listened to the old music. It's better than anything they hear today."
    Last edited by big fatty; 03-17-2014 at 01:09 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked big fatty for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (03-19-2014)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2017 @ 01:46 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    No one else has mentioned it so I'm gonna throw this one out there : Nazareth " 'Snaz "
    Nazareth was one of those criminally under-rated hard rock bands like UFO , April Wine , Mahogany Rush , and Robin Trower
    Vocalist Dan McCafferty's vocals are raw and powerful . Even Brian Johnson and Bon Scott would have both stepped back and went , " Whoah ! "
    "Hair Of The Dog " . " Beggars Day " . " Expect No Mercy " , " Razamanaz " , " This Flight Tonight " , all skull crushers .

Robin Trower " Live ! " is another great live album with Trowers soaring , fluid , and soulful playing along with bassist James DeWars soulful vocals . It's hard to believe that this is 3 white guys .
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. Thanked Green Manalishi for this KICKASS post:

Angel (03-17-2014)

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 08:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,076 Posts

Anyone mention ZZ Top Fandango yet?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Anyone mention ZZ Top Fandango yet?
    Well... I guess side 1 of that album would be eligible.

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    09-12-2020 @ 06:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I fucking love Alive.

Parasite into She is just the most baddest shit ever. Just low-slung Les Paul badassery.

8. 3 users say thank you to ODShowtime for this KICKASS post:

Dave's Bitch (04-23-2015),fraroc (03-19-2014),katina (03-30-2014)

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-23-2020 @ 03:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Green Manalishi View Post
    No one else has mentioned it so I'm gonna throw this one out there : Nazareth " 'Snaz "
    Nazareth was one of those criminally under-rated hard rock bands like UFO , April Wine , Mahogany Rush , and Robin Trower
    Vocalist Dan McCafferty's vocals are raw and powerful . Even Brian Johnson and Bon Scott would have both stepped back and went , " Whoah ! "
    "Hair Of The Dog " . " Beggars Day " . " Expect No Mercy " , " Razamanaz " , " This Flight Tonight " , all skull crushers .
    I was at that show. I still have the t-shirt, it has the skull & crossbones from the No Mean City album cover. Krokus opened up. They also filmed it as you probably know, I have the VHS tape.

One of the highlights for me that I still remember from being there, was their deadly rendition of " Shapes of Things ". At the time, I hadnt heard that song before, and just loved the raw screeching vocals of Dan Mc Cafferty as they played it live. They set off a shitload of smokebombs as well, which for me as a thirteen year old at the time was pretty cool. It was one of the first few shows I attended.

But I personally wouldn't list it as being one of the best of all time live albums, it's pretty good though. I still listen to Nazerath once in a while. Usually " Close Enough For Rock n Roll " and " Playin The Game ". They do have a lot of pretty damn good stuff that is lesser known to most. One of my favorites is " Kentucky Fried Blues " from Expect No Mercy.
    Last edited by big fatty; 03-17-2014 at 11:18 PM.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Robin Trower " Live ! " is another great live album with Trowers soaring , fluid , and soulful playing along with bassist James DeWars soulful vocals . It's hard to believe that this is 3 white guys .
    Amen.

The remastered Bridge of Sighs album from 1999 sounds the best, and includes live versions with Reg Isidore on drums.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Saw that same tour as well only it was after the release of Snaz . It was Nazareth , Billy Thorpe , and Vic Vergat at the Kiel Opera House in St. Louis in November of '81 . Cool stuff ! I still have my old t-shirt as well only its a bootleg knock off with the No Mean City artwork on the front and the Fools Circle artwork on the back . Bought it in the street several blocks from the show .

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Amen.

The remastered Bridge of Sighs album from 1999 sounds the best, and includes live versions with Reg Isidore on drums.
    I bought the remastered Bridge Of Sighs shortly after it's release . Fortunately , I have witnessed Trower live 4 times and I had the priviledge of meeting him twice . Very sweet , humble , and surprisingly frail though he plays guitar like he's 9 feet tall . If you have never seen Robin Trower do so while you have the chance . Glad to see that someone else appreciates this under appreciated guitar maestro .
    Last edited by Green Manalishi; 03-19-2014 at 10:19 AM.

13. 2 users say thank you to Green Manalishi for this KICKASS post:

big fatty (03-19-2014),chefcraig (03-19-2014)

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

We could do with a Nazareth thread..............

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    09-12-2020 @ 06:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I just picked up most of the good Trower records at the flea market. Bridge of Sighs and the live album are both pretty good. I need to listen to them more.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-17-2021 @ 02:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Ozzy Osbourne - Speak of the Devil

17. 2 users say thank you to BruinJer for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (05-03-2014),ELVIS (03-31-2014)

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-15-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Iron Maiden - Live After Death
    Slayer - decade of aggression

The Pantera songs I have heard from their 20th anniversary of far beyond driven that was recorded from Donnington 94 isn't bad either.

The worst would be that Metallica live album (cant remember the name) that was recorded with the san fran orchestra.

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 09:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Elvis In Person at the International Hotel Las Vegas, Nevada
    Frank Sinatra Live in Australia 1959
    Miles Davis The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel 1965
    Sammy Davis Jr. The Sounds of '66 (live, with Buddy Rich)
    Neil Diamond Gold: Recorded Live at the Troubadour
    Rolling Stones – Still Life (American Concert 1981)
    Pat Travers Band ... Live! Go For What You Know

20. Thanked relliot for this KICKASS post:

Rikk (04-11-2015)

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-19-2024 @ 04:49 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Can't suggest this as the best live album ever, but I love Seether - One Cold Night. It is acoustic and their music translated wonderfully.
    Last edited by Mushroom; 03-28-2014 at 10:02 PM.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2021 @ 11:13 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Live at Leeds, The Who, I still have the cassette. Different Stages, Rush. I´ve been very lucky to be abroad whe it came out, and I bought it instantly.
    A 3 cd with songs that don´t appear on any other live Rush album, as 2112 in its entirety.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-29-2024 @ 02:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by relliot View Post
    Elvis In Person at the International Hotel Las Vegas, Nevada
    Frank Sinatra Live in Australia 1959
    Miles Davis The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel 1965
    Sammy Davis Jr. The Sounds of '66 (live, with Buddy Rich)
    Neil Diamond Gold: Recorded Live at the Troubadour
    Rolling Stones – Still Life (American Concert 1981)
    Pat Travers Band ... Live! Go For What You Know
    why not!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katina View Post
    Live at Leeds, The Who, I still have the cassette. Different Stages, Rush. I´ve been very lucky to be abroad whe it came out, and I bought it instantly.
    A 3 cd with songs that don´t appear on any other live Rush album, as 2112 in its entirety.
    Yea that Rush album is great. And Getty still had his higher range for the most part. For a newer live album I love Full Bluntal Nugity from a few years back. Only thing it's missing is St. Holmes. Killer recording with Tommy Aldridge on drums.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-24-2022 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

You got it right 78/84 Guy
    1.Strangers In The Night, UFO

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 06:44 PM
    Status
    Thanks

'Performance, Rockin' the Fillmore: The Complete Recordings' - Humble Pie

'No Sleep 'til Hammersmith' - Motorhead (+ the 'Golden Years' live EP, released at same time but four tunes not on original album)

'Free Live' - Free

'Live at Last' - Black Sabbath

'A Night in San Francisco' - Van Morrison

'Live in Leeds' - The Who

'Band of Gypsys' - Jimi Hendrix

'Strangers in the Night' - UFO

'Blow Your Face Out' - J Geils Band

'Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out' - Rolling Stones

'Live!' - Bob Marley and the Wailers

'The Live Adventures of Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper' - Mike Bloomfield / Al Kooper

'If You Want Blood' - AC/DC

'Before the Flood' - Bob Dylan and The Band

'Space Ritual' - Hawkwind

'At Fillmore East' - The Allman Brothers

27. 2 users say thank you to VHscraps for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (05-03-2014),ODShowtime (02-28-2015)

Shut up and dance!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-21-2015 @ 04:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Live and Dangerous - Thin Lizzy - fantastic live album.

KISS "ALIVE" was a studio album

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 06:44 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Humble Pie, 'Performance: Rockin the Fillmore' is something I've been listening to a lot lately. It's pretty good stuff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

30. Thanked VHscraps for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (02-12-2015)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

VAN HALEN LIVE FROM THE TITANTIC !!! LOL ! Didn't even have too hear it yet.

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    06-21-2021 @ 10:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Not reading whole thread .

Grand Funk Live

DPP_0002.jpg

Unbelievably majestic in it's rawest sense of what R&R is all about.

There are great Live albums best ever Grand Funk.

Deep Purple Made In Japan..my #2

That, Cheap Trick Budokan #3 but they didn't ask for one two three so be it anyway!

50 other ones depending on the day..lol
    Last edited by clarathecarrot; 02-12-2015 at 07:27 PM.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 487 Posts

I'll leave out the obvious Zeppelin or Skynyrd choices (not because I don't agree...I DO!...but because so many cool posters have already mentioned them)...

ELVIS PRESLEY - ON STAGE (half an hour of Vegas bliss, all new songs...his absolutely performing peak...gives me goosebumps)
    THE DOORS - LIVE AT THE BOWL '68 (new release, amazing concert with great sound...the definitive performance of THE END)
    JOHNNY CASH - AT SAN QUENTIN (like this one even more than FOLSOM PRISON)
    RAINBOW - ON STAGE (Blackmore at his peak...and yes, I love MADE IN JAPAN)
    GRATEFUL DEAD - SKULLFUCK (several new songs, amazing sound...definitive album)
    MIDNIGHT OIL - OILS ON THE WATER (probably almost nobody on this site appreciates this band, but they had the shit...great songs and frenetic performances)
    U2 - UNDER A BLOOD RED SKY (it's great...'nuff said)
    GENESIS - LIVE (with Peter Gabriel...less than an hour, at their absolute performing peak)
    NEIL YOUNG - LIVE AT MASSEY HALL (my favorite campfire album, performing solo with acoustic and piano with a perfect setlist)
    THIN LIZZY - LIVE AND DANGEROUS (just because it needs to be said a 10th time)
    THE BIG 4 - LIVE FROM BULGARIA (fuck you, I love it...it's the metal Woodstock, with solid performances by all four acts and stellar setlists)

34. Thanked Rikk for this KICKASS post:

SunisinuS (04-11-2015)

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2017 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    I'll leave out the obvious Zeppelin or Skynyrd choices (not because I don't agree...I DO!...but because so many cool posters have already mentioned them)...

ELVIS PRESLEY - ON STAGE (half an hour of Vegas bliss, all new songs...his absolutely performing peak...gives me goosebumps)
    THE DOORS - LIVE AT THE BOWL '68 (new release, amazing concert with great sound...the definitive performance of THE END)
    JOHNNY CASH - AT SAN QUENTIN (like this one even more than FOLSOM PRISON)
    RAINBOW - ON STAGE (Blackmore at his peak...and yes, I love MADE IN JAPAN)
    GRATEFUL DEAD - SKULLFUCK (several new songs, amazing sound...definitive album)
    MIDNIGHT OIL - OILS ON THE WATER (probably almost nobody on this site appreciates this band, but they had the shit...great songs and frenetic performances)
    U2 - UNDER A BLOOD RED SKY (it's great...'nuff said)
    GENESIS - LIVE (with Peter Gabriel...less than an hour, at their absolute performing peak)
    NEIL YOUNG - LIVE AT MASSEY HALL (my favorite campfire album, performing solo with acoustic and piano with a perfect setlist)
    THIN LIZZY - LIVE AND DANGEROUS (just because it needs to be said a 10th time)
    THE BIG 4 - LIVE FROM BULGARIA (fuck you, I love it...it's the metal Woodstock, with solid performances by all four acts and stellar setlists)
    Dang Rikk....you just filled my ears for a coons age. Just lost the girl I was dating in Cali before I moved to Hawaii....she died in a car wreck tuesday....wish I could have shared some of these with her...RIP Stacey...for all of you out there...wear your fucking seat belt.

36. Thanked SunisinuS for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (04-12-2015)

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 08:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,076 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SunisinuS View Post
    Dang Rikk....you just filled my ears for a coons age. Just lost the girl I was dating in Cali before I moved to Hawaii....she died in a car wreck tuesday....wish I could have shared some of these with her...RIP Stacey...for all of you out there...wear your fucking seat belt.
    Sorry for your loss, Sun. (((Hugs)))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-11-2020 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Mothers of invention live at the Fillmore east 1971

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-11-2020 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Mothers of invention live at the Fillmore east 1971

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-31-2024 @ 03:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,469 Posts

Katy Perry: MTV unplugged

41. 2 users say thank you to WARF for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (04-12-2015),Kristy (04-11-2015)

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 11:05 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Plastic Ono Band – Live Peace In Toronto

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,063 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WARF View Post
    Katy Perry: MTV unplugged
    A masterpiece.

44. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

WARF (04-12-2015)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    'Performance, Rockin' the Fillmore: The Complete Recordings' - Humble Pie
    Ghey

'No Sleep 'til Hammersmith' - Motorhead (+ the 'Golden Years' live EP, released at same time but four tunes not on original album)
    Ghey

'Free Live' - Free
    Ghey

'Live at Last' - Black Sabbath
    Ghey

'A Night in San Francisco' - Van Morrison
    Hippie and ghey

'Live in Leeds' - The Who
    Overrated and, yes, ghey

'Band of Gypsys' - Jimi Hendrix
    Ghey

'Strangers in the Night' - UFO
    Ghey

'Blow Your Face Out' - J Geils Band
    Ghey

'Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out' - Rolling Stones
    Maybe

'Live!' - Bob Marley and the Wailers
    Seeing a pattern here?

'The Live Adventures of Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper' - Mike Bloomfield / Al Kooper
    Cute. Still ghey

'If You Want Blood' - AC/DC
    Too loud and ghey

'Before the Flood' - Bob Dylan and The Band
    Old and ghey

'Space Ritual' - Hawkwind
    Ghey

'At Fillmore East' - The Allman Brothers
    Ghey

46. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (04-12-2015)

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SunisinuS View Post
    Jesus. I'm so sorry, man.

This is one scary, fucked-up world. Never know what's going to hit you any day...

Put on MASSEY HALL and think back to good days...

...and believe it or not, they will come again.

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2017 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksmar View Post
    IMO - One of the challenges of this discussion thread is not to include boots. For example: KISS Reunion tour 1996 San Jose show is one their best ever but never released as a Live album.

I like the BOC live album a lot but I can't remember the title.
    Extra Testicle Live:

49. Thanked SunisinuS for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (04-12-2015)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    A masterpiece.
    Of shit.

51. Thanked 78/84 guy for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (04-12-2015)

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-16-2024 @ 07:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Aerosmith live bootleg...

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-16-2024 @ 07:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

It must suck to grow old.
    Maybe you will get to find out...

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Dude, in twenty years time if I ever decide to make a homoerotic website dedicated to Katy Perry I'll just put the gun to my head right now.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-19-2024 @ 04:49 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Dude, in twenty years time if I ever decide to make a homoerotic website dedicated to Katy Perry I'll just put the gun to my head right now.
    Please start that website now, I have a Love Gun for you!

Thread Information