Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

The real tricky part is bridges. The saddles are in different locations depending on the bridge. So you have to have an average measurement or when you go to adjust the innotation you will be too far forward or backward to adjust it properly. I would adjust the saddles in the middle and then measure the scale length to them. Then you carefully mark the holes that you need to drill to install the bridge. I would put the bridge in and make sure that's all good before routing the pickup holes. It will give you a measuring point on where to put those. Remember the closer you put a pickup to the bridge the more treble and bite you will get in the tone.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• bluemustard
      Veteran
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Nitro Express
      The real tricky part is bridges. The saddles are in different locations depending on the bridge. So you have to have an average measurement or when you go to adjust the innotation you will be too far forward or backward to adjust it properly. I would adjust the saddles in the middle and then measure the scale length to them. Then you carefully mark the holes that you need to drill to install the bridge. I would put the bridge in and make sure that's all good before routing the pickup holes. It will give you a measuring point on where to put those. Remember the closer you put a pickup to the bridge the more treble and bite you will get in the tone.

Thanks Nitro!! Hope I get everything done before the weekend.

I also scored some snakewood..anybody know the best way to glue it?Heard theres alot of oil in the wood.

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

That neck's gonna smell like pussy...

Comment

• bluemustard
          Veteran
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by ELVIS
          That neck's gonna smell like pussy...
          Hope it will be nice and wet pie.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

The cat is putting it's magical mojo into the guitar parts. I once read where a Japanese sword maker meditated for 30 days under a waterfall before forging a sword. Hmmm. Got a waterfall nearby? You can get into the right frame of spirit and mind before grabbing that router. LOL!

Comment

• bluemustard
              Veteran
              • Mar 2006

DSC_6901.jpgDSC_6912.jpg

Template was the schecter guitar.(the one elvis recommended and I bought)I took a pencil and traced the contour.After that I rasped and sandpapered my own shape and flow.
              I hope it turns out great.I wanna drill myself..but gotta get 2nd opinion..is 22 fret to bridge 7 inches standard? Or does it vary? LOL
              Some guy at a shop will help me or my cousin but hope to get most done myself.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

A fixed bridge with fine tuners. Good choice if you are a newbie. One thing you need to make sure of is that your glue is compatible with the wood you are using (I used to work in a cabinet shop many moons ago). In fact, US glue manufactures have had to reformulate their glue because it doesn't bond some of the aisian woods being used in furniture these days.

So yeah always do research on what glues, stains, and finishes you are going to use. That way you can avoid some nasty surprises. Sometimes the best glue to use is just regular carpenters glue and other times something else is needed. You have the internet. It makes doing these kind of projects a lot easier than when information wasn't so easy to get. I think that's why we fucked things up so much in the old days. LOL! Sometimes the fuckups became new discoveries.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by bluemustard
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]11710[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11711[/ATTACH]

Template was the schecter guitar.(the one elvis recommended and I bought)I took a pencil and traced the contour.After that I rasped and sandpapered my own shape and flow.
                  I hope it turns out great.I wanna drill myself..but gotta get 2nd opinion..is 22 fret to bridge 7 inches standard? Or does it vary? LOL
                  Some guy at a shop will help me or my cousin but hope to get most done myself.
                  The whole formula is based on the speaking length of the string (length of the strings from the bridge saddles to the nut). It determines exactly where the frets go on the neck and of course you need to make sure the bridge saddles are in the right position.

You can't guess on this. It has to all be right on the money or you will end up with a great looking unplayable guitar that will never be in tune.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

I'm going off of memory here. I went to a bass seminar taught by Jack Casady who was the bass player for Jefferson Airplane and one of the pioneers for fuzzed out big amplified bass sound. He has quite a bit of experience in building bass guitars and the electronics bit of it. We were talking about building bass guitars and I remember him telling me the half point is the 12th fret. So the bridge needs to be the same distance from the 12th fret as the nut is.

You might measure a guitar you have and see if this is right. If it is then you have a measuring point and a distance to go off of. It should be the same for any guitar regardless of the scale.

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

This might give you some helpful insight...

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

And this from Stewmac is very helpful for electric...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

The location of the bridge is absolutely critical. If the distance from the nut, down the centerline of the fingerboard, to the center of the bridge saddle slot is not within about 1/32" of where it should be the guitar will not play in tune, and it will take some extreme measures to rework it so it does.
                          In other words. You are 1/32 " away from "Oh Fuck!"

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

In other words. You are 1/32 " away from "Oh Fuck!"
                            Yeah, but a bolt on neck gives you some wiggle room...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Bridge placement is a bitch. Make it past that point and it's all gravy.

Comment

• bluemustard
                                Veteran
                                • Mar 2006

A fixed bridge with fine tuners. Good choice if you are a newbie. One thing you need to make sure of is that your glue is compatible with the wood you are using (I used to work in a cabinet shop many moons ago). In fact, US glue manufactures have had to reformulate their glue because it doesn't bond some of the aisian woods being used in furniture these days.

So yeah always do research on what glues, stains, and finishes you are going to use. That way you can avoid some nasty surprises. Sometimes the best glue to use is just regular carpenters glue and other times something else is needed. You have the internet. It makes doing these kind of projects a lot easier than when information wasn't so easy to get. I think that's why we fucked things up so much in the old days. LOL! Sometimes the fuckups became new discoveries.

Thanks..I was thinking of mounting the neck to a piece of wood..then tweak the aettings of the bridge on that piece of wood.
                                Measure the distance and when thats done put it on the real body..(is that cool?)

Here are the specs of the bridge..it says no template needed etc..

Comment

Working...