X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PETE'S BROTHER
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2007

hey, mo
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• bluemustard
      Veteran
      • Mar 2006

Flo, mo & the evo

Comment

• bluemustard
        Veteran
        • Mar 2006

Still trippin..this just happened.Came straight to the army. LOL

Comment

• vandeleur
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Sep 2009

Very cool
          fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• VAiN
            Use my hand, I won't look
            ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Awesome man! Any interesting Dave tid-bits in that conversation?
            Originally posted by wiseguy
            That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

Awesome, my blue brother !!

Comment

• Kristy
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Not ghey.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Damn Bluemustard. You are cooking with gasoline! The guitar turns out great (the mids, sustain, and harmonics all sound good). You have Steve Vai sign it and name it. Cool as a Jewel!
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• ashstralia
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Feb 2004

Fantastic mate! 5 stars and a sticky

And yeah, what'd he say about DRo?

Comment

• bluemustard
                      Veteran
                      • Mar 2006

He said Dave taught him everything about the music bussiness.He said everybody wants that brown sound but it's all in the fingers and mind.
                      He said Eddie came over to his house and played on his Jem but it sounded like Eddies tone.Same thing with Brian May's guitar.Steve played on it but it didn't have the Brian tone..but when Brian played it it did.
                      It's gonna be on NTR Radio Holland. 1st of june and 9th of june.I'll post the link.
                      His biggest influence music wise was with Frank Zappa,Joe Satriani , his highschool musci teacher and David Lee Roth.
                      Bottom line was forget the bullshit,fame, fear etc and just play music and find your own note.Was all meditation stuff..really nice masterclass.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by bluemustard
                        He said Dave taught him everything about the music bussiness.He said everybody wants that brown sound but it's all in the fingers and mind.
                        He said Eddie came over to his house and played on his Jem but it sounded like Eddies tone.Same thing with Brian May's guitar.Steve played on it but it didn't have the Brian tone..but when Brian played it it did.
                        It's gonna be on NTR Radio Holland. 1st of june and 9th of june.I'll post the link.
                        His biggest influence music wise was with Frank Zappa,Joe Satriani , his highschool musci teacher and David Lee Roth.
                        Bottom line was forget the bullshit,fame, fear etc and just play music and find your own note.Was all meditation stuff..really nice masterclass.
                        It's amazing how much of the tone is in the fingers. The thing I learned is you really have to tap the strings hard to sound like Ed. He really whacks em. I can see why he uses a .009 gauge string set. It works best with his style of playing.

I notice when I play Led Zeppelin songs I sound too refined. I actually have to slop up my playing to get the Jimmy Page vibe. I have to slow it down a bit and loosen it up or it just does not sound like Zeppelin. You can have the right chords and notes. You can be playing in proper time. The thing is, if you don't touch the strings the right way it just will sound like a different song.

Comment

• bluemustard
                          Veteran
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                          It's amazing how much of the tone is in the fingers. The thing I learned is you really have to tap the strings hard to sound like Ed. He really whacks em. I can see why he uses a .009 gauge string set. It works best with his style of playing.

I notice when I play Led Zeppelin songs I sound too refined. I actually have to slop up my playing to get the Jimmy Page vibe. I have to slow it down a bit and loosen it up or it just does not sound like Zeppelin. You can have the right chords and notes. You can be playing in proper time. The thing is, if you don't touch the strings the right way it just will sound like a different song.

He talked about Jimmy Page too.
                          He also said that you gotta find your own string size..what fits you best.
                          Before the Jem he had a strat but the whammy bar only could be pressed down.So he got a screwdriver and scraped out the wood at the whammy bridge so he could pull the whammy up!! Like the floating system..he could do bombdives etc.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

I always heard if you used bigger strings you got a bigger sound. On an acoustic that might be true but on an electric guitar it really isn't. You can sound huge with a light set of strings. I always stuck with .009's I've played that gauge for the past 34 years. Works for me.

Steve used to write articles for Guitar Player magazine in the early 80's. I remember that Strat of his. He was a bit of an experimenter in his own right. Yeah I read lots of Steve Vai written articles then and I even learned The Attitude song out of the magazine. The good old days. They had little vinyl records you could tear out of the magazine and play on a turntable LOL!

I just remember good guitars and amps being real expensive in those days. Heck a Les Paul Standard was $1,000 if not more back then. A Marshall 100 watt head was $800 to $1000. Fender Strats were around $600 if I remember right. Equipment now is cheaper on average and you have more choices. I had a silver faced Fender Champ amp I used for years and went from a Memphis Les Paul copy to an Ibanez Roadstar II to a Kramer Baretta. Kept using the Champ amp but boosted the front end. Then I finally got a Marshall half stack. Didn't need it but I had it. The day I got it was almost better than sex. Oh and Boss effects. LOL! Everyone had a few of those.

I learned about every song on Led Zeppelin I and II. I think songs like Whole Lotta Love and Heartbreaker are good songs to start out on. Not very complicated and really, you have to learn vibe and feel. Even if Jimmy played a bit sloppy he had the vibe down. I think everyone goes through the Jimmy Page portal if they play rock guitar.

If I'm looking for a guitar player I make them play Link Wray's Rumble. If they don't know it "Get the fuck out!". If they don't know who Link Wray is it's double "Get the fuck out!" You can see if they have vibe. It's full on rock and roll period.

Ha! This is what I'm talking about! It the vibe man. Jimmy knows it!
                            Last edited by Nitro Express; 05-12-2014, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

Fay Jail can't play it...

Comment

• ELVIS
                                Banned
                                • Dec 2003

This album blows Rumble away...

Comment

Working...