X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
    I'm mildly retarded with this kind of thing - can you please explain that that means? It's not 50 watts all the time?
    Nope. Most amps are rated in Root Mean Squared which is an average output rating. Wattage varies as the amplifier runs and you aren't using all the wattage unless you have all the volume knobs turned to 11. In actuality the amplifier probably is putting out more than 50 watts in small peaks or bursts but the mean or average wattage is below that.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Romeo Delight
      ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

They have a special knob - power attenuator - where you can dial it down to 1 watt...but it sounds exactly like 50 watts....so very cool

Last edited by Romeo Delight; 09-25-2014, 04:27 PM.
      sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• VAiN
        Use my hand, I won't look
        ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Very cool.. So you get all of the umph of the amp but at more manageable volume? The 2x12 combo sounds fantastic in that video.
        Originally posted by wiseguy
        That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
          ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Very cool.. So you get all of the umph of the amp but at more manageable volume? The 2x12 combo sounds fantastic in that video.
          Yes all 9 tubes worth of gain!!!!!!
          sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• VAiN
            ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
            Yes all 9 tubes worth of gain!!!!!!
            That's fucking bad ass!! What kind of guitar(s) are you playing through it?
            That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
              ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

That's fucking bad ass!! What kind of guitar(s) are you playing through it?
              Just starting to play again...got myself the brand new Wolfgang Special Stealth...that ebony fingerboard is nice.

Mexico bulid is really nice compared to last year's Chinese. It has a shaped face, not a flat-top.

I was trying to learn Hot for Teacher last night...I think it might take a bit, lol.

Compared to everyon who posts here I am a novice...
              sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I'm still a novice and I've been playing since I was 17!
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

They have a special knob - power attenuator - where you can dial it down to 1 watt...but it sounds exactly like 50 watts....so very cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ao5nmvF28
                  They put a lot of engineering into that because usually putting a resistance load between the output stage and the speaker affects the tone. A trick I do is use a speaker coil and magnet without a cone on it and a pot to control how much output signal gets sent to it. It works like a resistor but the amp still gets the feedback of the speaker working. Since there is no cone to push air it makes no noise but fools the amp into thinking there is a speaker it's pushing. Works pretty good. It allows you do push the power amp hard but not rattle the dry wall loose in the house.

Comment

• VAiN
                    ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Just starting to play again...got myself the brand new Wolfgang Special Stealth...that ebony fingerboard is nice.

Mexico bulid is really nice compared to last year's Chinese. It has a shaped face, not a flat-top.

I was trying to learn Hot for Teacher last night...I think it might take a bit, lol.

Compared to everyon who posts here I am a novice...
                    Post up some pics of the amp and the Stealth. What do you think of the guitar? I really want one but 3k for a US model is a little steep for me. I'm curious about the Mexican ones. Does it have a maple top or is it one piece of wood carved out with a curved top?

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                      ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I havent seen the maple ones yet...no one has them...It is curious that the new Special Stealth has a contoured face...maybe not as pronounced as American version...but much nicer than the flattop.

Its hard to say what it is whether one piece or not...with the binding there...I will take some pics.

I almost think it might be solid maple top on the basswood, in which case I might regret not waiting for the new Maple ones to come out. Either way, I can't believe how responsive the guitar is to my feeble hands. So easy to play.

The Ebony fingerboard looks so cool and plays even better. I am playing it right now through a micro terror and its little 8 inch cab with a cheap boss distortion pedal and it sounds ridiculous. The boss is so I can play with distortion quietly...teh Micro terror has no problem with gain on higher volumes...it is loud, but cant wait for the EVH 5150
                      Last edited by Romeo Delight; 09-25-2014, 08:09 PM.
                      sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                        ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Headed home with EVH III 1X12 combo!!! Cant wait
                        sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Von Halen
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Headed home with EVH III 1X12 combo!!! Cant wait
                          Does the 1 x 12 have the power attenuator?

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                            ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Von Halen
                            Does the 1 x 12 have the power attenuator?
                            Oh it sure does! Its exactly the same as the 2x12...about 18 pounds or so lighter.

This amp is a gain-fest!!
                            sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Oh it sure does! Its exactly the same as the 2x12...about 18 pounds or so lighter.

This amp is a gain-fest!!
                              If you are gigging with that amp you will thank yourself for buying the small one when you haul it around. LOL! I used to have this huge bass rig and one day I said this is like moving furniture. Let's be honest. You can play a small venue just fine with a 30 watt guitar amplifier. Let the PA do the work.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                                ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Been travelling so no time for pics but they are coming...I am loving the amp...so responsive with the Wolf Stealth - screams at will.

I haven't really had a chanced to really open it up yet...cant wait to move it downstairs this weekend to see it really perform at some serious volumes.

Made an inquiry today at Musician's friend...seems there is a 15% off deal going on...so I ended up getting the combo for a little over a grand...not too shabby
                                sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

Working...