• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VAiN
    Use my hand, I won't look
    ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
    Sure enough, that's the same axe. Never saw that hideous purple one used before. I think he hit a wall with his graphic design around '82. Stripes and dots and shapes oh my.

Not a big fan, but I'd love to get my hands on a Pacer with the beak headstock and a maple neck..
    Originally posted by wiseguy
    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• jhale667
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
      That thing's body looks damned thick for one of Ed's usual garage built guitars. What did he do, glue two Strat knock-offs together? Looks like it weighs a ton.
      I remember reading he tried a 2" thick Charvel body (or Ellsworth/Boogie Bodies) as a tonal experiment at the time. Normal Strat body's 1 3/4" at its thickest point.

And yes, I want one of these.

Originally posted by conmee
      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
      Originally posted by eddie78
      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
        I have a Kramer from around 1988 that I bought new back in the day and it's much heavier than my other guitars. Easily 2-3 pounds more. They were using some heavy shit then.
        Some of those late 80's Kramer bodies were made of real dense laminated wood. It's heavy shit. Manufactures started using it because it was cost effective but also resulted in a more constant sound. People didn't like having a plywood body though and I think they just went to using basswood or poplar. The cheaper blanks usually are two or three pieces glued together.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• VAiN
          ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by jhale667
          I remember reading he tried a 2" thick Charvel body (or Ellsworth/Boogie Bodies) as a tonal experiment at the time. Normal Strat body's 1 3/4" at its thickest point.

And yes, I want one of these.

What do you think of the striped EVH guitars? It annoys me that they're made in China or Japan or Mexico - I can't recall offhand.. Are they a proper set-up away from being quality?
          That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• jhale667
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

What do you think of the striped EVH guitars? It annoys me that they're made in China or Japan or Mexico - I can't recall offhand.. Are they a proper set-up away from being quality?
            I think so. I liked the ones I've played at NAMM the last 2 years, but of course those are going to have perfect set-ups - can't really speak for what you're going to find in the store. But I seriously doubt it'd be anything too tragic, that couldn't be dialed in in minutes. But the ones I've played... they're solidly built, they play & sound great... No issues with the EVH-branded Floyds or the D-Tunas...can't really go wrong with it IMO.
            If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Coyote
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

I think so. I liked the ones I've played at NAMM the last 2 years, but of course those are going to have perfect set-ups - can't really speak for what you're going to find in the store. But I seriously doubt it'd be anything too tragic, that couldn't be dialed in in minutes. But the ones I've played... they're solidly built, they play & sound great... No issues with the EVH-branded Floyds or the D-Tunas...can't really go wrong with it IMO.
              Then it's all down to individual shops & owners.

For example, local shop has a B&W stripe. The shops tech had adjusted the Floyd to float...
              Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• jhale667
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
                Then it's all down to individual shops & owners.

For example, local shop has a B&W stripe. The shops tech had adjusted the Floyd to float...

Imagining the D-Tuna didn't work then...don't think they ship with trem-stoppers standard.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Coyote
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Imagining the D-Tuna didn't work then...don't think they ship with trem-stoppers standard.
                  Let's just say that I've not heard good things about that particular tech (or the store, for that matter)...
                  Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                  It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• SilvioDante
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Jan 2004

I love mine!

My wife bought me the Bumblebee as a present. She ordered it from Guitar Center to be shipped to a local store. When I went to pick it up, it was still in the original box, never opened. The clerk then asked me if I wanted to inspect it to make sure it was in good shape before I took it home. I told him sure. He was very excited he said because they all wanted to open it to see it because they've never seen one at that store.

Anyway, I got it home and I got to tell you, I like the way it was set up out of the box. Haven't touched a thing. I like the fact that the trem is locked down. Personal preference obviously. D-Tuna is spot on. Came tuned down. The sound is very crunchy which I love!

Just for the record, I am not the guitar expert most are here. I only own 2 other electrics, a Fender American Standard and an old Squire I refurbished to look like the original Frankie. So, I may not be an expert on set ups and such. All I know is I love it. I read up on them and I think you are basically getting a one pick up Wolfgang. Same wood for the body, same electronics, trem, hardware, etc. I think they are a little over priced since it is only one pick up but I HAD to have the Bumblebee.
                    "Don't try to confuse the issue with half truths and gorilla dust." - Bill NcNeal

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

American Standards are great guitars and are usually well set up...

If it compares favorably to nice American Fender, you got a good one, IMO...

Comment

• VAiN
                        ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

I'm looking forward to seeing what the HAIL guitar will retail for.. if it's the same as the striped series it will find its way to my wall of guitars.

Comment

• SilvioDante
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS

Like the man said, I don't know art but I know what I like. I do like my Fender and I love my Bumblebee.

I could get picky like some of the reviews of it on the web and complain the headstock isn't black like on the VHII album. Or. the trem is locked down. Or it sounds like ADKOT not like VHII. Whatever. If you are a Eddie fan, I don't think you'll be sorry with the purchase. I'm sure there are some lousy set ups out of the box somewhere, I could have got lucky. Who knows. I don't care, I love mine.

BTW- personal opinion, the red Frankie looks like crap to me. The balck and white and the Bumblebee look the best IMHO. The HAIL guitar looks real sharp from the pics posted.
                          "Don't try to confuse the issue with half truths and gorilla dust." - Bill NcNeal

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS

I have two Fenders. They came perfect from the factory. I never touched the setup on either one.
                            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• VAiN
                              ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

EVH® Stripe Series Circles

Looks like the street price will be in the $800-900 range.. I may have just found my christmas present to myself.

Comment

• VAiN
                                ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

I just pulled the trigger on the 'Unchained' guitar.. I'll update when I get it!

Comment

Working...