X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Starter guitar feedback

Jay and I have been talking about this for a while. I'm considering getting my son a starter guitar for a good job this semester in college, and this is what Jay recommended:

Squier Vintage Modified Stratocaster HSS Electric Guitar

Features
    Bolt on construction
    Basswood body
    25.5" Scale maple neck, 9.5" radius, rosewood fretboard, 21 frets
    Duncan Designed SC-102 Stack middle and neck pickups
    Duncan Designed HB-112 Humbucker in the bridge

Whatcha think? Comments?
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I'd be thrilled to get that as a first guitar. Go for it.

Comment

• vandeleur
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Sep 2009

Think he will be knocked out by it ,hope he has hours of enjoyment on it .
      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Maybe so...

How much ??

Comment

• VAiN
          Use my hand, I won't look
          ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Not too shabby.. the humbucker is a nice touch. I approve.
          Originally posted by wiseguy
          That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS
            Maybe so...

How much ??

$249....

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Good price.

My friend bought his kid a Squier off Ebay. Brought it over and asked what I thought, and while I am nowhere as far into it as Jay is, I thought it was a decent purchase. His kid likes it and that's what matters, I guess.
              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

It's worth that...

Agile from Rondo Music is a good guitar in that price range as well...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

If the kid wants a strat type guitar then I would say it's a good choice. The electronics on the Squires seem to be better than what's on Epiphones meaning the switches, jacks, and pots seem to hold up better. With the humbucker it would be a pretty versatile guitar. You can play lots of styles of music on it.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• qikgts
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Jan 2012

Don't overlook the Sterling By MusicMan line. Lots of choices.

Electric Guitars & Basses Designed by Ernie Ball Music Man. All Sterling by Music Man instruments are carefully and proudly inspected by our team in Orange, California before reaching musicians worldwide.

I have 2; The SUB AX3 (249.00 ish) and AX30D (Dimarzio Pups, higher price point in the $600 range). Both are HH, vintage style trem, 5 way switch.

IIRC the entry level SUB Silo3 can be had for about $199.00. HSS, 5 way, vintage trem.

I think they offer great value. Guitar Center should have one in stock to check out too...
                    You're gonna hear the angels sing...

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I tried one of the Sterling "Axis" types and found the fret ends weren't as finished as I'd like. Other than that it played and sounded pretty close to the Wolfgang Special I bought.
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                        If the kid wants a strat type guitar then I would say it's a good choice. The electronics on the Squires seem to be better than what's on Epiphones meaning the switches, jacks, and pots seem to hold up better. With the humbucker it would be a pretty versatile guitar. You can play lots of styles of music on it.

He doesn't really know enough about guitars to have an educated opinion about what he wants. Neither do I, while you mention it.

Which is why I go to you guys.....

It seems like the humbucker along with the two singles on the Squier is a good feature for a starter guitar, though....

Comment

• Von Halen
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Come on you cheap bastard. Get him one of the EVH Striped Series!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Dec 2003

LOL.... If he likes the starter well enough after a few years, he'll be graduated from college with a job and he can buy the damn thing himself....

Comment

• vandeleur
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Sep 2009

I've played the Stirling axis music man number , it was a decent guitar . Felt very much like the wolf I tried but a lot cheaper .
                              fuck your fucking framing

Comment

Working...