X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sensible Shoes
    Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

American Idol goes Hard Rock

Yes, it's been shit for years and none of you watch it. But take a look at this.

It's a 22 year old fat kid named Caleb Johnson who's been blowing everybody's socks off.

"Still of the Night" by WhiteSnake

He's done Zeppelin, Journey, Aerosmith etc - I think you'll really like him and I swear he's going to win this time. Jump on the website and vote for Rock and Roll!

(Somebody embed the damned video please, I am apparently not remembering how.)
    Last edited by Sensible Shoes; 05-01-2014, 04:58 PM. Reason: cause I suck

Oh dear.
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

He's OK but he still sucks...

The show sucks even worse...

I don't watch it...

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
      Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

I know you don't. Nobody does around here. But vote for him anyway. And he does not suck.

Oh dear.

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

He doesn't suck but voting just encourages this sort of thing and sorry but I wouldn't want to do that.

Constant TV talent shows are killing live music, music as an original art form, bars and pub culture and those things are very close to my heart.

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

It's sad to see those people so desperate to "make it" with little or no talent...

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
            Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Look at it as voting for Rock and Roll. To win this the public has to think there's room for more rock in our society. Better him than the idiot who got tossed tonight - or the two girls who like to think they're Debbie Harry or Ann Wilson.

Oh dear.

Comment

• SunisinuS
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • May 2010

On Youtube fruit salad video site... go to Share right below video window to right of the Thumbs. Then choose Embed. Copy and Paste that code into your Post.

Yw.

I have heard him, seen him on Idol. He did a very good I would say perfect voice impression or mimic of another rock song/singer when I saw him. But you can tell he really has the pipes to do his own stuff any way he wants. Let's hope he wins then by your recommendation alone and makes a killer first album of him and his band and his style out of this. Would always like to hear new good rock......and Tenacious D will now have their own category with two entries. Tenacious D rocks.

I cannot vote though in such a process by principle.

But I vote for you and think he is a heckava singer according to everyone around him.
              Last edited by SunisinuS; 05-01-2014, 10:07 PM.
              Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Sensible Shoes
                Look at it as voting for Rock and Roll. To win this the public has to think there's room for more rock in our society. Better him than the idiot who got tossed tonight - or the two girls who like to think they're Debbie Harry or Ann Wilson.
                How is it Rock and Roll?

It's the complete antithesis of Rock and Roll...

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
                  Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

What??????? How is it the antithesis of ROck and Roll??? Or am I going to be sorry I asked.

Oh dear.

Comment

• SunisinuS
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • May 2010

What??????? How is it the antithesis of ROck and Roll??? Or am I going to be sorry I asked.
                    I think what Sesh might be referring to are things not what we would consider rock and roll like....on the embed above, go to 1:30 to 1:35. You can see where the lead guitarist totally missed his guitar/syncing showing you that the band is being staged even though Caleb (if that is indeed his real name) may be singing live....very not like real rock. Could have a replay spliced in and such but too much control.

So Idol sucks in that way....but yes again....I think when he screams "Fuck you I used you all! Now I get to make a fuckin record and screw it to you all! Right in front of your naked steaming Eyes." when he wins Live..... Then he will be hip!

/shrug but just a guess.
                    Last edited by SunisinuS; 05-01-2014, 10:38 PM.
                    Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

He may be the best on the show, but in the real world, he won't sell any albums. You know, like most of the Idol winners. And in five years he'll probably come up with something like that Daughtry shit that's been posted here a couple times already.
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I'm confused by you asking that.

You are now pushing me into a place where I'm going to end up sounding like a pretentious old dick.

To me there has to be a degree of integrity and reality to it. The joy of a group of people creating something and communicating it to an audience.

Karaoke is not rock and roll, it can't be.

Karaoke of a rock and roll song is still not rock.

This is all a world of fake. These people don't create music they try to mimic it. If you mimic Mozart that's fine because it's an impersonal medium where the composer writes the music and other people perform. On the other hand rock should be the opposite of that. It's the direct expression of the artist, it should be visceral it is the close cousin of punk.

Who kidnapped my lovely Sensible Shoes and replaced her with this grey person?

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I'm sure I could have expressed myself better there but I got back from seeing 5 bands play live in a bar in the city an hour ago.

One or two of them had never played live before, the first was a boy girl couple who did lovely acoustic songs about flowers and shit. Later my pals band who are doom metal played.

Both acts were rock and roll because they were people expressing themselves through art.

I warned you I may sound like a dick but it's true, fuck the talent shows they can only ever deliver the mediocre.

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

It's not rock 'n' roll. It's the musical equivalent of paint by numbers.
                            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I'm with Sesh on this matter. Dave sums it up pretty good here. Especially at the :40 mark.

Comment

Working...