Last Online
    @
    Status

How Van Halen Redefined Hard Rock Before it Even Existed

http://wzlx.cbslocal.com/2014/05/14/...-even-existed/

How Van Halen Redefined Hard Rock Before it Even Existed

By Matt Dolloff (@mattdolloff)

May 14, 2014 1:12 PM

Guitarist Eddie Van Halen, left, makes a guest appearance during Michael Jackson’s Victory Tour concert in Irving, Texas, on Friday night, July 14, 1984. Van Halen, who is in town for his own concert Saturday night, joins in during Jackson’s hit “Beat It.” (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio)

In the early-to-mid-1970s, hard rock and heavy metal were still in their gestation periods as sub-genres. Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin helped plant the seeds with massive guitar riffs, punishing grooves, and dark subject matter, while the punk movement brought a bold attitude adjustment.

But even those bands weren’t about fun so much as perilous adventure. Sabbath weaved murky tales of wizards, fairies, and war. Zeppelin peppered lyrics with Lord of the Rings references and indulged in Robert Plant’s fascination with mythology. And the Sex Pistols defied a monarchy and cried for social revolution.

Then, along came Van Halen. Touting the most influential guitar player of his time in Eddie Van Halen, and a frontman that was equally dynamic on the stage and the microphone in David Lee Roth, they eschewed the hard rock aesthetics conceived by Sabbath and Zeppelin. Not that hard rock was in need of a change – or arguably even existed to that point in time – but Van Halen changed it nonetheless. And they did it with an unprecedented combination of musicianship and showmanship.

The band’s first headlining tour, which rolled through Boston’s Orpheum Theater on May 14, 1979, was their American introduction and an astonishing kick in the ass to rock and roll that the genre didn’t know it needed.

Van Halen’s arrival on the rock music scene was “the first real advent of the new face of hard rock,” said Mike Mullaney, music director at our sister station Mix 104.1 and longtime Van Halen devotee. If Sabbath and Zeppelin’s ear-splitting riffs and fantastical images were rough charcoal sketches of hard rock, Van Halen’s electrifying musical energy and fun-loving attitude were vibrant color portraits.

Mullaney added that Eddie Van Halen’s transcendent guitar work played one of the biggest roles in hard rock’s shift from brooding to lively. Jimmy Page and Tony Iommi wrote (and continue to write) riffs like no other guitarists in history, but Eddie’s blistering chops and sprightly phrasing injected rock guitars with an unexpected shot of adrenaline.
    “Here’s the most important guitar player since Hendrix…Everyone was buzzing about the way he changed how the guitar sounded,” he said about Eddie’s innovative finger-tapping techniques and next-level shredding – in both solos and straight riffs. He displayed an extraordinary combo of dynamic skill and bombast in songs like “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love”, “Unchained”, and of course, “Eruption”.

As obviously great as Eddie was, he was still only part of Van Halen’s appeal. Frontman David Lee Roth also took rock vocals to new heights with his wailing five-octave vocal range and dizzying on-stage gymnastics.

David Lee Roth, lead singer of the rock group Van Halen, sings during a concert at the Spectrum in Philadelphia, Pa., on Oct. 19, 1982. (AP Photo)

“He is the only guy you could imagine to have the bravado to match the amazing musicianship going on.”
    - Mix 104.1 Music Director Mike Mullaney on David Lee Roth’s stage presence with Van Halen.
    Roth and the rest of the band’s relentless exuberance was a direct response to the “corporate rock” of the ’70s that dominated the radio and still gets regular time here on ZLX and on every other classic rock station, like Kansas, Boston, and R.E.O. Speedwagon. While these bands were very talented and had plenty of great songs, they just didn’t have the live energy to match. Even Robert Plant, while an amazing singer, still just kind of stood there and “looked pretty” when he performed.

Mullaney saw Van Halen for the first time in 1980 on the “Women and Children First” tour, and staggered out of the arena in awe at the band’s live performance. Roth opened the show by leaping spread-eagle off the drum riser, and the energy never let up. Roth held everyone’s attention like a master of ceremonies, nailing all the high notes and kicking and strutting his way across the stage.

“[Roth] is the only guy you could imagine to have the bravado to match the amazing musicianship going on,” said Mullaney. “Every guy wanted to be David Lee Roth and every woman wanted to be with David Lee Roth.”

Roth and the band’s wild on-stage antics also translated off the stage. Mullaney described their aesthetic as “smiling metal”, focusing more on soaking in the California sunshine, tapping a keg of beer, and getting laid. The “hair metal” craze of the 1980s was a direct result of Van Halen’s striking persona, spawning the likes of Motley Crue and Poison.
    While they also put out a litany of hugely popular hard rock songs and performed with similar fervent intensity on stage, they still came off as imitators of what Van Halen and Roth brought to the scene, starting on their first tours in the late-’70s.

“These guys [Van Halen] came out and they were fierce and bold,” said Mullaney. “It was incendiary.”

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There wasn't much hard rock on the radio in 1978. It was soft rock like Seals and Crofts and disco. Van Halen saved us from "Summer Dreams, make me feel moist..."
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You must not of had the right radio stations in 78...

I seem to recall Scorpions, AC/DC, UFO, Thin Lizzy, Ramones, Alice Cooper... on the Bluesy side Gary Moore, Frank Marino... On the Southern side Molly Hatchet...

Seems there was plenty of hard rockin bands to fill the airwaves.
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post

I seem to recall Scorpions, AC/DC, UFO, Thin Lizzy, Ramones, Alice Cooper... on the Bluesy side Gary Moore, Frank Marino... On the Southern side Molly Hatchet...

I gotta agree Z. We still had KMET here in L A. They played the best music and backed the best concerts until their demise in the mid 80s. Jim Ladd was probably the most popular DJ on the radio in those years. He knew everybody who was anybody in rock and roll. Tom Petty even wrote a song about him, The Last DJ.
    I agree that Eddie's the most influential guitarist since Hendrix but saying Van Halen redefined hard rock is a bit of stretch. If the article said they took it to another level I might agree. Too bad they didn't stick with the original VH line up till they got past the MTV music video era crap. 1984 is a decent album but "Jump" was a step in the wrong direction IMO.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wish I could agree. Being a kid of the late seventies on the east coast, I was hosed down with Seals & Croft, Pilot, ELO, the Doobies, the Eagles and Steely Dan. I didn't have a problem with that, but I was also too young to be aware that I had a choice.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Wish I could agree. Being a kid of the late seventies on the east coast, I was hosed down with Seals & Croft, Pilot, ELO, the Doobies, the Eagles and Steely Dan. I didn't have a problem with that, but I was also too young to be aware that I had a choice.
    That's the crap they played on A M in the early 70s here. It's not all crap but it's not exactly hard rock either. You left out B J Thomas. How could you forget "Hooked On A Feeling"? They played that song ten times a day in the early 70s.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

In California. We had Top 40 and country western stations. I couldn't drive yet anyways. I pretty much stuck to playing KISS albums on my turntable. LOL!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Yup. I did like the Doobies and Steely Dan. No in 1978 SoCal was where the action was. The place was a magical paradise then. Everything was good.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    In California. We had Top 40 and country western stations. I couldn't drive yet anyways. I pretty much stuck to playing KISS albums on my turntable. LOL!
    You were still listening to top 40 crap in 78? I started listening to F M in 75. Got my first real stereo in 75.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In the early 70's the good stuff was on the AM band. FM was like elevator music. My dad always had the car stereo set to FM. I would put it on AM so when he started the car it would blast him with that horrible hippie music. LOL!

You could pick up a radio station broadcasting from some indian reservation. The DJ talked real slow and sounded like he was drunk.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In the early 70's the good stuff was on the AM band.
    In the early 70s yes. I listened to KHJ in the early 70s. The real Don Steele, Machine Gun Kelly and a couple other guys. I forget their names. If you answered your phone with KHJ plays all the hits when they called you could win up to $100. I never called. I wasn't old enough. On top of that my parents would have beat me for making a long distance phone call.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So you were deprived and abused as a child... sorry man.

In the San Jose/San Francisco bay area... we had KOME... the KOME spot on your dial 98.5... almost normal. Plus a DJ named Dennis Erectus who's on air rants remind me a lot of a certain Hitch1969 character here... "Don't touch that dial, it's got KOME on it!," as well as others saying things like "K-O-M-E all over your radio dial," "You've got KOME... oozing out of your speakers," "Wake up with KOME in your ear," seriously... I ain't shittin.

Sadly Erectus passed away in 2012... listening to him was like spending an evening at the Army back when this place rocked... He was like a Diamond Dave of radio DJ's. Here's 20 minutes of pure debauchery...

NSFW today but actually went out on the air back in the 70's/80's.

On the safer side of the dial we had KSJO in San Jose and KMEL in San Francisco... all hard rock or album rock giants.

If y'all wonder where my twisted mind was influenced... well here's a glimpse into my late teens/early 20's influences.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Another Gem... gotta love the internet.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Christmas 1978...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    In the early-to-mid-1970s, hard rock and heavy metal were still in their gestation periods as sub-genres.
    Hog wash...

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So you were deprived and abused as a child... sorry man.

In the San Jose/San Francisco bay area... we had KOME... the KOME spot on your dial 98.5... almost normal. Plus a DJ named Dennis Erectus who's on air rants remind me a lot of a certain Hitch1969 character here... "Don't touch that dial, it's got KOME on it!," as well as others saying things like "K-O-M-E all over your radio dial," "You've got KOME... oozing out of your speakers," "Wake up with KOME in your ear," seriously... I ain't shittin.
    It's a little off subject but the word play with KOME reminds me of a hot dog place they used to have in Ridgecrest, Ca. Doggy Style. They had billboards along the highway saying a new trend is sweeping through Ridgecrest, Doggy Style and I like it Doggy Style. Some people didn't get it at first but they'd laugh their asses off when they did.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The 70's had tons of great bands from Thin Lizzy too R.E.O. Speedwagon. VH Just took it up another level. And with Ed & Dave how could they not. It's amazing it took awhile for them too get signed.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    VH Just took it up another level. And with Ed & Dave how could they not. It's amazing it took awhile for them too get signed.
    They're from L A. There's no shortage of talented musicians here. You can see bands in bars that sound better than 90% of the bands that have recording contracts everyday of the week. The bands that make it big from L A usually do pretty good for themselves. Bands like Van Halen and The Doors. You could be the biggest thing since sliced bread in a smaller city and never get a paying gig in L A.

Thread Information