ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

(BCE appointed) Voting official seeks terrorism guidelines

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER

Friday, June 25, 2004 · Last updated 12:59 p.m. PT

Voting official seeks terrorism guidelines

By ERICA WERNER
    ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

WASHINGTON -- The government needs to establish guidelines for canceling or rescheduling elections if terrorists strike the United States again, says the chairman of a new federal voting commission.

Such guidelines do not currently exist, said DeForest B. Soaries, head of the voting panel.

Soaries was appointed to the federal Election Assistance Commission last year by President Bush. Soaries said he wrote to National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice and Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge in April to raise the concerns.

"I am still awaiting their response," he said. "Thus far we have not begun any meaningful discussion." Spokesmen for Rice and Ridge did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Soaries noted that Sept. 11, 2001, fell on Election Day in New York City - and he said officials there had no rules to follow in making the decision to cancel the election and hold it later.

Events in Spain, where a terrorist attack shortly before the March election possibly influenced its outcome, show the need for a process to deal with terrorists threatening or interrupting the Nov. 2 presidential election in America, he said.

"Look at the possibilities. If the federal government were to cancel an election or suspend an election, it has tremendous political implications. If the federal government chose not to suspend an election it has political implications," said Soaries, a Republican and former secretary of state of New Jersey.

"Who makes the call, under what circumstances is the call made, what are the constitutional implications?" he said. "I think we have to err on the side of transparency to protect the voting rights of the country."

Soaries said his bipartisan, four-member commission might make a recommendation to Congress about setting up guidelies.

"I'm hopeful that there are some proposals already being floated. If there are, we're not aware of them. If there are not, we will probably try to put one on the table," he said.

Soaries also said he's met with a former New York state elections director to discuss how officials there handled the Sept. 11 attacks from the perspective of election administration. He said the commission is getting information from New York documenting the process used there.

"The states control elections, but on the national scale where every state has its own election laws and its own election chief, who's in charge?" he said.

Soaries also said he wants to know what federal officials are doing to increase security on Election Day. He said security officials must take care not to allow heightened security measures to intimidate minority voters, but that local and state election officials he's talked to have not been told what measures to expect.

"There's got to be communication," he said, "between law enforcement and election officials in preparation for November."
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

I disagree with this...

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Bottom line is that the 1864 and 1944 elections went off without any problems, and those were during actual wars with an enemy that wasn't a fictional construct of the Administration in office.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• knuckleboner
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jan 2004

there's some merit to the notion of exploring options.

an attack in NYC in the early morning of november 2nd will probably keep a lot of new yorkers away from the polls. is it fair to new york to say, "eh, sorry, but that's just bad luck?"

i don't know. but it's something they should at least consider.

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

an enemy that wasn't a fictional construct of the Administration in office.

I disagree with that too...
          Last edited by ELVIS; 07-01-2004, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

I wasn't warned.
            ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
            Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Satan
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

Looks like I gotta pay overtime to my construction crews again. Damn you Bush! Damn you to Heaven!!
              Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
              I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by knuckleboner
                there's some merit to the notion of exploring options.

an attack in NYC in the early morning of november 2nd will probably keep a lot of new yorkers away from the polls. is it fair to new york to say, "eh, sorry, but that's just bad luck?"

i don't know. but it's something they should at least consider.
                Exactly. Consider the blackout last year that disabled the Northeast. What if that happens on election day? In liberal NY, Mass, New England, etc..... OK .....fine by me.
                “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                  Exactly. Consider the blackout last year that disabled the Northeast. What if that happens on election day?
                  Considering how many friends the BCE have in the energy industry, it wouldn't surprise me. Another reason why voting should only take place with paper ballots.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• wraytw

Originally posted by FORD
                    Considering how many friends the BCE have in the energy industry, it wouldn't surprise me. Another reason why voting should only take place with paper ballots.

Comment

• Ally_Kat
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

wait...what is so wrong about this? We're not cancelling the elections because there's a threat for a possible attack; We're having a procedure on what to do on an election day in case there was an attack.

9/11 was a nyc primary and let me tell you, it was a bitch to be an employee of the Board of Elections that day. We didn't know if we should have the polls closed, if we should let anyone who would come in vote, if the votes should count, or what. Nothing like this had ever happened before. All we knew was that we were under attack and the place hit was one of our largest polling sites.

The nation needs a plan. What if one state is hit during a nationwide election. Do we cancel/reshedule the election only in then general vicinity of the area hit, the entire state, or the nation? I think we should get somesort of plan. Having one would sure in the hell have helped us back then.
                      Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Keeyth
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Ally_Kat
                        wait...what is so wrong about this? We're not cancelling the elections because there's a threat for a possible attack; We're having a procedure on what to do on an election day in case there was an attack.

9/11 was a nyc primary and let me tell you, it was a bitch to be an employee of the Board of Elections that day. We didn't know if we should have the polls closed, if we should let anyone who would come in vote, if the votes should count, or what. Nothing like this had ever happened before. All we knew was that we were under attack and the place hit was one of our largest polling sites.

The nation needs a plan. What if one state is hit during a nationwide election. Do we cancel/reshedule the election only in then general vicinity of the area hit, the entire state, or the nation? I think we should get somesort of plan. Having one would sure in the hell have helped us back then.

I know. Hire Kathleen Harris and Jeb Bush to handle it. THAT would make it fair, wouldn't it? :confused:
                        Knowing and believing are two very different things.

It is the difference between the knowledge we accrue... ...and the knowledge we apply.

Comment

• Ally_Kat
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

Keeyth, why do you oppose this?
                          Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Viking
                            Veteran
                            • Jan 2004

Given the fact that the methods of warfare have changed substantially in the past several decades, combined with the fact that there are already a dozen Congressional subversives (who should be impeached post haste) crying out for United Nations monitoring of the election (which is not only illegal on many levels, but I will state here and now that I will personally gun down any Blue Helmet pissant I come across), I think it's a crackin' good idea to have contingency plans in place in case the unspeakable happens.

Comment

• Keeyth
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Ally_Kat
                              Keeyth, why do you oppose this?
                              Well for starters...

"Soaries also said he wants to know what federal officials are doing to increase security on Election Day. He said security officials must take care not to allow heightened security measures to intimidate minority voters, but that local and state election officials he's talked to have not been told what measures to expect."

What a load of bullshit. Not to intimidate? You mean PRECISELY to intimidate!!
                              That is exactly what they did in the 2000 election to keep Blacks from voting in Florida. They had 3 to 4 cops sit outside every polling location to hassle every black person who walked up to vote. REAL security huh?
                              Look up Database Technologies, and their relation to Kathleen Harris and the Bush Campaign. THAT is how they truly stole the election. If anyone even had the same NAME or Birth date as a known felon, they were denied the right to vote. Simple as that. They even denied one of the poll managers her right to vote because her name was the same as a felon on their list. DT even admitted that their "..stroke would be broad, and many eligible voters may be turned away, but that it is better to be safe than sorry. Fucking disgusting. And you wonder why I hate Bush...

Our voting process has been reduced to a farce anyway... ...and if Bush wins again, that is all the proof you need of that fact.
                              Knowing and believing are two very different things.

It is the difference between the knowledge we accrue... ...and the knowledge we apply.

Comment

Working...