Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eeas anniversary and no party here?

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Imapus Sylicker View Post
    Are you implying something, Donnie?

Cheers!
    Who knows. I don't even know why I post half the stuff I do. But how funny would it be to have that picture on the main page? Not that I would condone such nonsense.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 10:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,119 Posts

Well, Roth is in the picture & there's a whole army behind him... seems kosher to me.

Cheers!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-18-2015 @ 05:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 676 Posts

Gee that was subtle.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sensible Shoes View Post
    Gee that was subtle.
    Oh you know I didn't mean it. But don't tell anybody.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,003 Posts

Blog Entries
    You put it on the interwebz... it must be true!! No backpeddling, Bud...

Remember this is the Serious New Roth Army... not the old house of shenanigans, coke and ho's Roth Army...

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 07:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Geez, I've sat through over an hour of Anthony interviews...ain't got the one yet. Scraps probably knows the exact one right off the top of his head.

Geez, I've sat through over an hour of Anthony interviews...ain't got the one yet. Scraps probably knows the exact one right off the top of his head.
    Donnie - your faith in the power of my memory is much appreciated, but alas I cannot recall anything specific. But ... I do think Mike has said on a number of occasions something along the lines of "we knew that Roth was getting his own thing together before he quit" ... I can't pull up an article or audio to back that up, but I am sure I have heard him say something like that.

I'd guess that it was no real secret that Dave was working on music for the CFTH movie before he quit Van Halen.

Before the movie was finally bagged, Nile Rodgers was co-writing / producing the soundtrack - I have no idea if that involved the band that cut EEAS. But seeing as VH apparently declined to be involved with the movie, it theoretically would have involved other musicians (maybe session musicians) if they got as far as rehearsing music / recording.

How do I know this? An interview with Nile Rodgers from early '86 in New York magazine, Feb 24 1986 (find it on Google Books) in which his role in that movie is mentioned.

And then ... there are earlier pics of him hanging out with Dave at the opening of the Zero One gallery in LA - see below (Dave was a backer of the gallery), taken on 01st March 1985. That was before the official departure from VH.

I know that it was March 1985 that was taken because the image is in the collection of the Los Angeles Public Library, and the description of the photo (see here) states the date and the occasion. Unlike Zlowzower, in his VH photo books, librarians are sticklers for accurate historical data!

It would be reasonable to assume, I think, that as Nile Rodgers was a NY-based musician he was in LA at that time for a reason, and the fact that he was with Roth here, in this pic, would lead me to assume that he was in LA working with DLR on the movie.

So, Donnie ... to get back to your point (!), people in LA - some months before DLR officially quit Van Halen - would have known that he was working with Nile Rodgers on music / trying to put a soundtrack / songs / a band together.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by VHscraps; 07-09-2014 at 11:56 AM.

7. 2 users say thank you to VHscraps for this KICKASS post:

DONNIEP (07-09-2014),Jérôme Frenchise (07-10-2014)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thanks Scraps!

That all fits in with the timeline I've had in my head for a couple years. And based on the Dave quote I posted above, it appears he was at least pretty well along working up songs by October of '85. And it fits that Dave might show up for work at 5150, get pissed off because Ed is on planet Schlitz, and head back home to work on the music for what would wind up being EEAS. It'd be cool to know who he was working with and when he actually tapped Vai and when they were holding auditions for drummers. I don't think he had the EEAS guys hanging out at his house while he was supposed to be working up the VH record, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. I mean, at that point, the writing was on the wall, Dave was the biggest rock star on the planet, the CFTH ep sold over a million copies right out of the gate, the dude was on and in almost every rock magazine, all over Mtv, late nite TV, every cable channel in America, all over radio, he literally was on top of the world. And then he shows up to work on a new record and Ed's pissing in the corner? Yeah, I can see him saying "I don't need you, or you, or YOU. I am outta here."

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:17 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,014 Times in 3,249 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    Donnie - your faith in the power of my memory is much appreciated, but alas I cannot recall anything specific. But ... I do think Mike has said on a number of occasions something along the lines of "we knew that Roth was getting his own thing together before he quit" ... I can't pull up an article or audio to back that up, but I am sure I have heard him say something like that.

I'd guess that it was no real secret that Dave was working on music for the CFTH movie before he quit Van Halen.

Before the movie was finally bagged, Nile Rodgers was co-writing / producing the soundtrack - I have no idea if that involved the band that cut EEAS. But seeing as VH apparently declined to be involved with the movie, it theoretically would have involved other musicians (maybe session musicians) if they got as far as rehearsing music / recording.

How do I know this? An interview with Nile Rodgers from early '86 in New York magazine, Feb 24 1986 (find it on Google Books) in which his role in that movie is mentioned.

And then ... there are earlier pics of him hanging out with Dave at the opening of the Zero One gallery in LA - see below (Dave was a backer of the gallery), taken on 01st March 1985. That was before the official departure from VH.

I know that it was March 1985 that was taken because the image is in the collection of the Los Angeles Public Library, and the description of the photo (see here) states the date and the occasion. Unlike Zlowzower, in his VH photo books, librarians are sticklers for accurate historical data!

It would be reasonable to assume, I think, that as Nile Rodgers was a NY-based musician he was in LA at that time for a reason, and the fact that he was with Roth here, in this pic, would lead me to assume that he was in LA working with DLR on the movie.

So, Donnie ... to get back to your point (!), people in LA - some months before DLR officially quit Van Halen - would have known that he was working with Nile Rodgers on music / trying to put a soundtrack / songs / a band together.
    Ha! They are drinking generic beer. I remember that stuff. The Zero One Gallery was a way you could have an all night party place. In LA at the time the bars and clubs had to close at a certain time. Art galleries on the other hand could stay open 24 hours.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think the main problem was Dave wasn't satisfied with the amount of panties in his panty collection. The Van Halens were. So Dave said, Fuck you guys. I'm going out to get more panties with or without you.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Nile Rodgers drank generic crap beer??

Geez, I know his disco records had stopped selling by 1985, but he should have made enough from Bowie's Let's Dance album and the Power Station to afford a 6 pack of something drinkable.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think that generic beer was a Miller product...

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

What I heard here in Hell is that it was the same product that used to be called "Billy Beer", named after President Carter's redneck brother. Once Reagan got into office, he didn't have a brother to rename the beer after, and they couldn't think of a better joke.... so they just latched onto the "generic" fad that was moving into the grocery stores at the time.

Even John Lydon capitalized on the "generic" trend (though I doubt he ever drank the crap beer) with his 1985 release......

and to bring this back on topic of EEAS, the guitarist on that album was one Steve Vai.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, see I was a huge PIL fan. But man, the Sex Pistols just didn't do it for me. Not even when the movie came out and all of a sudden we had a bunch of sullen wannabe punks running around the high school.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    Nile Rodgers drank generic crap beer??

Geez, I know his disco records had stopped selling by 1985, but he should have made enough from Bowie's Let's Dance album and the Power Station to afford a 6 pack of something drinkable.
    Roth was the cheap beer king. Someone in his band said Van Halen ordered so much beer for the US Festival they didn't drink it all. So Dave brought what was left home and stored it in his garage. The beer was several years old and skunked but Dave drank it anyways. LOL!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yeah, see I was a huge PIL fan. But man, the Sex Pistols just didn't do it for me. Not even when the movie came out and all of a sudden we had a bunch of sullen wannabe punks running around the high school.
    I dated a lovely weekend Punk girl back in 79/80... During the week she worked in a pharmacy... come the weekend... torn up black t-shirts, leather jackets and wild hair-do's... she'd drag me out to punk clubs and to Ramones and Dead Kennedy concerts. Great girl... although her family was rich and were members of a nudist swim & racket club. She took me out there to meet her mom the first time... talk about awkward moments, but I survived.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 10:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,119 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I dated a lovely weekend Punk girl back in 79/80... During the week she worked in a pharmacy... come the weekend... torn up black t-shirts, leather jackets and wild hair-do's... she'd drag me out to punk clubs and to Ramones and Dead Kennedy concerts. Great girl... although her family was rich and were members of a nudist swim & racket club. She took me out there to meet her mom the first time... talk about awkward moments, but I survived.
    See, that's ONE problem with people these days. That girl worked in a pharmacy & from your post, I'm assuming she looked the part. As it should be!

She had/has the right to express herself AFTER working hours to her heart's content.

But people nowadays are SO FUCKING DESPERATE for attention, they show up for work wearing the weirdest shit. Goddamn, if you're working someplace like a fucking hospital or reception, or someplace that has to deal with people that isn't a themed bar, leave your fucking weird hairdo's, crocs & shitty clothes at the door.

If I go to a hospital with a sore dick, I shouldn't have to put up with some weird bitch telling me she's a vegetarian wiccan. I DON'T CARE! Save it for after work, shit damn!

Was her mom hot?

Cheers!

18. 2 users say thank you to Anonymous for this KICKASS post:

Angel (07-10-2014),BumBahDeeDah (07-12-2014)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yeah her mom was damn hot... I could see where the future was heading!!

20. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Anonymous (07-10-2014)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

although her family was rich and were members of a nudist swim & racket club. She took me out there to meet her mom the first time... talk about awkward moments, but I survived.
    See, I think if a naked woman walks up to you and is speaking to you and smiling, you should legally be allowed to jump her bones. And let's not fuck about here - nudism is all about fucking and fucking and fucking. So don't anybody come in here and talk about rights and freedom of expression. Hot naked chick in front of me equals instant boner and somebody's gettin fucked.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    There was some weird code of conduct at those nudist outfits back then... It was strange to say the least.

Every one is hangin around like at a regular snooty country club... swimming... playing tennis... sunbathing... having a picnic lunch... but they're all buck nekid except for some flip-flops or tennis shoes. Plus it's a total mix of old folks, middle-aged and the young "pretty people"... The creepy old guys hung like horses playing tennis is memory I'd love to erase...

But the code was... of we're all butt-nekid but we're acting and interacting like it's a fucking Sunday church social. You know damn well everyone is scoping everyone and having immoral thoughts... But no funny business. After we left the first time there... I said to my girlfriend I was surprised people weren't fucking like rabbits all over the place. She says oh... "that's not cool there"... I'm like... Why the fuck not? You're 60% there already!! Then she proceeded to accuse me of being a pervert... go figure!!

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

But the code was... of we're all butt-nekid but we're acting and interacting like it's a fucking Sunday church social. You know damn well everyone is scoping everyone and having immoral thoughts... But no funny business. After we left the first time there... I said to my girlfriend I was surprised people weren't fucking like rabbits all over the place. She says oh... "that's not cool there"... I'm like... Why the fuck not? You're 60% there already!! Then she proceeded to accuse me of being a pervert... go figure!!
    Yeah, that's what they say. But when the lights go off, those places are Swingers' Paradise! I wouldn't last 5 minutes in one of em. I can hear the cops now..."Well, maam, you were butt nekkid and swinging that pussy of yours at Donnie. What did you think was gonna happen?" See? It'd be like you going to the mall and laying a 100 dollar bill on a bench and when somebody comes and picks it up you start screaming THIEF!!!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I used to surf at a nudist beach north of town called Red, White & Blue... they charged $5 a head to get in there but would let us surfers in for free.

A few times I saw them kick people out because they were going to town and horn-doggin it right in the middle of the beach. Never understood this nudist morality business... it seemed counter to the culture. But I suppose it kept the peace among the weirdos...

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

never been to a nudie beach, yet

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    They're highly overrated... I doubt they've improved since the late 70's/early 80's. 90% of the weirdos there you really have no desire to see clothed let alone nekid...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,579 Times in 3,458 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post

WTF is that? "Generic" "BEER?"

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yes, generic Beer was popular among the hipsters of the time, Nick...

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2023 @ 07:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 823 Posts

I can't believe I ever drank Fosters. That shit was everywhere in the 80's.

Cheaper than a Chinese hooker though.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Has anyone else noticed that this photo also appears to show a pair of sandals on top of a table load of mystery white powder, and an inflatable alligator?

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:05 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Who's the dude squinting things between Nile Rodgers and Dave?

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Warf's dad.

34. Thanked ashstralia for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (07-11-2014)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    Who's the dude squinting things between Nile Rodgers and Dave?
    He looks like he's being fucked up the ass by the guy in the middle and it's painful.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashstralia View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that this photo also appears to show a pair of sandals on top of a table load of mystery white powder, and an inflatable alligator?

Brilliant. Dave set the art gallery up so he could have all night club type parties and not have to close early because no laws applied to art galleries. Make the cocaine part of an art project and snort the art project. The naive cops will never figure it out. It's Dave playing Andy Worhal.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Worhal... or Whoreall..?

38. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (07-11-2014)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    If the art on the walls could only talk.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Hi God. Dave Roth here. We need more coke!

Thread Information