Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carloscda
    Foot Soldier
    • Jan 2009

^^How could you leave out Stewart Copland?

I'm the One, Out of Love, Light up the sky and of course Hot for teacher shows Alex can get dirty if he needs to!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Carloscda
      ^^How could you leave out Stewart Copland?

I'm the One, Out of Love, Light up the sky and of course Hot for teacher shows Alex can get dirty if he needs to!
      Two of my favorite drummers are Stewart Copland and Charlie Watts. That's right Charlie Watts. Ever heard The Police Live? Stewart's drums just crack. When he goes crazy on the kit it sounds like weapons going off. It's great!
      Last edited by Nitro Express; 08-10-2014, 04:07 PM.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Damn straight Keef. Charlie is the shit!

Comment

• SunisinuS
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • May 2010

Originally posted by Nitro Express
          Two of my favorite drummers are Stewart Copland and Charlie Watts. That's right Charlie Watts. Ever heard The Police Live? Stewart's drums just crack. When he goes crazy on the kit it sounds like weapons going off. It's great!
          Copeland is one of the best percussionists of my time period. Little known fact (Clifton style): Steve Smith tried out for Dave's band and was the front runner before Bissonette....which every good test taker or drummer does....I would have loved Steve Smith as part of Eat em and smile....as that mother fucker would be the geek to prove he could rock:

Last edited by SunisinuS; 08-10-2014, 04:34 PM. Reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzveeuFz1_o
          Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• Satan
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express

Damn straight Keef. Charlie is the shit!
            Simply put, Keef & Charlie are the engine that drives the Rolling Stones. And how many engines are there that have over 50 years and millions of miles on them, yet are still running strong.

It's a unique dynamic, as with most bands, the drummer and the bass player are more of a unit (i.e Rush or The Who - which is why they suck now, because their engine is gone) . You can sub in Bill Wyman, Darryl Jones, Woody or whomever on bass, it's all good. But Keef and Charlie are the ones running the show.

Eddie and Alex might be the only other occasion where the guitarist and drummer directly drive the music together, but with them it's genetic. Keef & Charlie are still better at it, because they didn't even need DNA to bond.
            Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
            I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Satan
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by SunisinuS
              Copeland is one of the best percussionists of my time period. Little known fact (Clifton style): Steve Smith tried out for Dave's band and was the front runner before Bissonette....which every good test taker or drummer does....I would have loved Steve Smith as part of Eat em and smile....as that mother fucker would be the geek to prove he could rock:

I could actually see Steve Smith in that band. He was a jazz drummer at heart, so he could work with Dave's "Vegas" tangents. And he was clearly bored shitless with what happened to Journey after that pussy Jonathan Cain ruined the band (as any good drummer would have been).

Wonder why it didn't happen. Couldn't have been his committments to Journey, since he wasn't on their next album anyway.
              Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
              I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• SunisinuS
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • May 2010

Originally posted by Satan
                I could actually see Steve Smith in that band. He was a jazz drummer at heart, so he could work with Dave's "Vegas" tangents. And he was clearly bored shitless with what happened to Journey after that pussy Jonathan Cain ruined the band (as any good drummer would have been).

Wonder why it didn't happen. Couldn't have been his committments to Journey, since he wasn't on their next album anyway.
                Watch what bissonette says....timing is everything...bissonette was last...he cheated on everyone else's test paper. And Steve Smith knew double bass even with a single pedal via drummers workshop. Would have been more interesting than bissonette.

And he could have hella hung with Steve Vai...and the bass player.....fuck would have been tasty.

Bissonette killed the band in my opinion. Recruiting his brother later ect.....fuck no wonder Dave understands Alex better......Alex is by far superior to Greg Bissonette. Not because Greg is not a great drummer....but because Alex never cheated. He was his own Man in his own Band.
                Last edited by SunisinuS; 08-10-2014, 05:34 PM. Reason: I always hated bissonette as the choice...he was the weakest link. Now I know why....hope the john 5 thing is better with him....hope he has matured.
                Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

I think Steve Vai had a influence on getting Bissonette in the the band. Sure he could talk to the other drummers getting intelligence on what they were looking for in the audition but Gregg Bissonette could read music and knew his theory. So could Steve Vai. I think that turned Steve on because he could just give Gregg some sheet music and he could play to it instead of having to waste time going over it with a drummer who can't read or read well. I think Steve just saw that as an extra bonus.

I think if the drummer sounded good to Dave and the others in the band were happy good enough.

I don't think Dave was so concerned about a decent bass player or drummer. Plenty to be found. It was the guitar player he was concerned with. He had to find a cat that could hold his own on the EVH level of things. Dave just could not roll out with a mediocre guitar player.

Comment

• Carloscda
                    Foot Soldier
                    • Jan 2009

Excuse that other person on stage!
                    I think Alex was more explosive before that neck injury.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Satan
                      Simply put, Keef & Charlie are the engine that drives the Rolling Stones. And how many engines are there that have over 50 years and millions of miles on them, yet are still running strong.

It's a unique dynamic, as with most bands, the drummer and the bass player are more of a unit (i.e Rush or The Who - which is why they suck now, because their engine is gone) . You can sub in Bill Wyman, Darryl Jones, Woody or whomever on bass, it's all good. But Keef and Charlie are the ones running the show.

Eddie and Alex might be the only other occasion where the guitarist and drummer directly drive the music together, but with them it's genetic. Keef & Charlie are still better at it, because they didn't even need DNA to bond.
                      Oh absolutely. The Stones were the perfect mix of personalities. I frankly liked what they all added into it. I liked Bill Wyman as a bass player. But there is a lot of complex interplay between Charlie and Keef and its great.

Comment

Working...