ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Dave is a great guest. A lousy radio personality. Howard Stern even tried to help him but said Dave just wanted to free wheel his show and Howard said you can't do it that way. You have to have it organized. Also Dave clashed with management. No surprise there.
    Agreed. He was all over the place. I remember him doing his hootin' and hollerin' over U2's Vertigo then going into talking about whatever garbage story the NY Post had going. My high hopes quickly shifted to me yelling, "abort, abort!!"
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts

Dave is a great guest. A lousy radio personality. Howard Stern even tried to help him but said Dave just wanted to free wheel his show and Howard said you can't do it that way. You have to have it organized. Also Dave clashed with management. No surprise there.
    3 weeks with no guests?

3 x 4 hours a day x 5 days a week talking to your security guard and engineer?

Someone didn't think it through. The station should have had at least 2 guests a day set up. There is a theory that he was set up to fail to take the hit from the Stern fans and then be replaced. It's possible but for every conspiracy there are 10 fuck ups. He was good for that week in Boston that got him the gig but that was just an hour a day with music and if I remember correctly it was in the afternoon.

Dave is not something you or he wants at 6am in the morning.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Angel (07-31-2014),Von Halen (07-31-2014)

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

To much of a good thing .

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Am guessing Dave knew manny with his age etc wouldn't be around for ever . In My experience losing someone close to you can make you evaluate what you have done and evaluate what you are doing .
    I've been wondering will this effect Dave , will it give him a bit of perspective on time and use of it .
    Will it effect the dynamic in van halen ? Make Dave more pushy .
    Will it make Dave want to release stuff out there and do stuff with out van halen if they drag their heels .
    Interesting times maybe .

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,526 Times in 1,997 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    Am guessing Dave knew manny with his age etc wouldn't be around for ever . In My experience losing someone close to you can make you evaluate what you have done and evaluate what you are doing .
    I've been wondering will this effect Dave , will it give him a bit of perspective on time and use of it .
    No.

Will it effect the dynamic in van halen ? Make Dave more pushy .
    No.

Will it make Dave want to release stuff out there and do stuff with out van halen if they drag their heels .
    No.

Interesting times maybe .
    No.

7. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

DONNIEP (07-31-2014)

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ok , ok, ok .... You know the drill
    Last edited by vandeleur; 07-31-2014 at 10:37 AM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    3 weeks with no guests?

3 x 4 hours a day x 5 days a week talking to your security guard and engineer?

Someone didn't think it through. The station should have had at least 2 guests a day set up. There is a theory that he was set up to fail to take the hit from the Stern fans and then be replaced. It's possible but for every conspiracy there are 10 fuck ups. He was good for that week in Boston that got him the gig but that was just an hour a day with music and if I remember correctly it was in the afternoon.

Dave is not something you or he wants at 6am in the morning.
    You can't be a rock star and be a conformist. If you are you are a fake. You can't stay on the air as a radio host and not be a conformist. It's a corporate job. You do what management wants and don't be a threat to them and maybe just maybe you won't get canned. You still have to have the ratings though. So if you have ratings and the brass tolerate you, that's the gig.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think the conspiracy came from Dave getting such a huge radio spot with no radio experience. Who knows. Maybe who hired him was a fan and made a mistake being starstruck. Who knows. How did Dave ever get that gig? Did they approach him or did he approach them? Dave just can't hold a corporate job. LOL!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think the conspiracy came from Dave getting such a huge radio spot with no radio experience. Who knows. Maybe who hired him was a fan and made a mistake being starstruck. Who knows. How did Dave ever get that gig? Did they approach him or did he approach them? Dave just can't hold a corporate job. LOL!
    The CBS management are now saying Dave got the gig because no one else wanted it which sounds suspicious and what they actually mean is that they asked some people like John Stewart who had better gigs already. They've said he was their 78th choice and it was based on the Boston shows. They're clearly covering their asses and are hugely incompetent.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The CBS management are now saying Dave got the gig because no one else wanted it which sounds suspicious and what they actually mean is that they asked some people like John Stewart who had better gigs already. They've said he was their 78th choice and it was based on the Boston shows. They're clearly covering their asses and are hugely incompetent.
    Give me a break. A spot like that opens and you are going to have all sorts of experienced radio people going for it. Hey Les Moonves has a golden parachute and if big corporations fuck up big, the government bails them out. That opens the door to incompetence in the whole organization. If it was a loser fails true capitalist system people would be more careful.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah plus why give a rookie such a long lucrative contract.

Rock stars have made the jump to radio DJ like Dee Snider or Alice Cooper, it's fine to do later in your career. Robbie Woods is an award winning DJ over here.
    Those guys have always been music based DJs. Roth would have been great at that.
    Speech radio is a completely different thing.

14. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Angel (07-31-2014)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yeah plus why give a rookie such a long lucrative contract.

Rock stars have made the jump to radio DJ like Dee Snider or Alice Cooper, it's fine to do later in your career. Robbie Woods is an award winning DJ over here.
    Those guys have always been music based DJs. Roth would have been great at that.
    Speech radio is a completely different thing.
    Yeah but Dee and Alice didn't get Howard Stern's spot. You put someone with experience in that slot. Dee and Alice have night shows and for all I know they might sell them in syndication. Plus they are shows based on rock and roll music.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So you read half my post?

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

So you read half my post?
    it's an improvement

18. Thanked PETE'S BROTHER for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (08-01-2014)

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 06:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I guess there is no part 2 to the Uncle Manny interview with Dave? Was just getting into it when he started talking about how Cafe Wha? was born...His world war 2 stories were great, love shit like that....
    Ah well, that was still fun to listen too.....
    Last edited by Full Bug; 07-31-2014 at 05:38 PM.

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2024 @ 02:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Is There a Part 2?

21. Thanked Dan for this KICKASS post:

SunisinuS (08-03-2014)

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2017 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Is There a Part 2?

Was thinking about picking up Dylan's Book. And wondered about the title and if metaphorical was all there was....

In his memoir "Chronicles: Volume One," Dylan remembered Cafe Wha?"

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/manny-roth...123952923.html

For wiki's on Manny:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manny_Roth
    Last edited by SunisinuS; 08-03-2014 at 04:46 AM.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Is There a Part 2?
    That clip I posted was all I had - I can't even remember where I downloaded it from years ago.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I think there was supposed to be another volume of the Dylan memoirs. It's a good read. He talks about the Cafe Wha a bit. Don't think he met Dave! But Richie Havens, who was a regular performer at the Wha, did.

Here's an extract about Dave and the Wha from another book, John Scanlan's Van Halen: Exuberant California, Zen Rock'n'roll ...

================================

One of the regular performers at the Wha? during this time, who also found himself sleeping on Manny Roth’s floor, was Richie Havens, the singer who later – and unforgettably, thanks to the film of the event – opened the Woodstock Festival in 1969. Eight years earlier, in 1961, however, he had arrived in Greenwich Village and ended up, like Dylan and numerous other newcomers, finding his way to the Cafe Wha?, among whose attractions was that it was one of the first places in the Village to start paying folk singers decent money to play. The club ‘was no minor-league deal’, Havens recalled some years later:

‘Not many clubs in New York were doing as much business as the Wha? or were as skilful at milking dollars from their customers. The crowds began pouring in during the afternoon and continued to grow past midnight.’

But while there was plenty of work for the performers during the club’s extended opening hours, one thing Havens didn’t expect, he later remembered, was to be left again and again to entertain Manny Roth’s hyperactive nephew, David: ‘Manny would come down to the club and say “Hey, Richie, would you look after the kid, I’ll be back in half an hour”, and then he’d disappear for three hours!’

‘And this kid’, Havens told a journalist 40-odd years later – barely able to believe it – ‘wound up decades later being in this really popular rock band’. And with the sense of incredulity that might be born of half a life of time elapsed, Havens marvelled: ‘David Lee Roth. I halfway brought him up!’

===========================

25. 2 users say thank you to VHscraps for this KICKASS post:

vandeleur (08-03-2014),ZahZoo (08-03-2014)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/03/ny...=tw-share&_r=0

Manny Roth, 94, Impresario of Cafe Wha?, Is Dead
    By DOUGLAS MARTIN AUG. 1, 2014

“Just got here from the West,” the gangly 19-year-old told Manny Roth, owner of the Greenwich Village nightclub “Cafe Wha?” “Name’s Bob Dylan. I’d like to do a few songs? Can I?”

Sure, Mr. Roth said; on “hootenanny” nights, as he called them, anybody could sing a song or two, and this was a hootenanny night, a bitterly cold one, Jan. 24, 1961. And so Mr. Dylan took out his guitar and sang a handful of Woody Guthrie songs.

The crowd “flipped” in excitement, Mr. Dylan later said.

He had hitchhiked to New York from Minnesota, and after showing up at the Cafe Wha?, he mentioned to Mr. Roth that he had no place to sleep. So Mr. Roth later asked the audience “if anybody has a couch he can crash on” — and somebody did.

It was all standard fare, recounted again and again in many places, for Cafe Wha?, a large, plain basement room at 115 Macdougal Street presided over by Mr. Roth during a lively and fertile period in the Village’s history. He died on July 25 at his home in Ojai, Calif., his daughter, Jodi Roth, said. He was 94. She said he loved being called the “Duke of Macdougal Street.”

It was at the Cafe Wha? that young performers like Jimi Hendrix, Bruce Springsteen, Woody Allen, Lenny Bruce, Bill Cosby and Richard Pryor got early chances to hone their talents. Folk singers, artists, poets, beatniks and anarchists came to the club, and so did far greater numbers of tourists, eager to observe those exotic breeds. (The club’s odd name was a shortening of the word “what,” intended to convey incredulity.)

An advertisement for Cafe Wha? featured a picture of a beatnik in beret and sunglasses and the slogan, “Greenwich Village’s Swingingest Coffee House.” Mary Travers, before she was the Mary of Peter, Paul and Mary, was a waitress there.

Mr. Roth abandoned the club in the late 1960s, but it was started up again, after an interregnum as a Middle Eastern restaurant in the 1970s and ’80s, under the same name by a new owner, and it continues to operate.

Manuel Lee Roth was born on Nov. 25, 1919, in New Castle, Ind., where his family owned a mom-and-pop grocery. He grew up loving sports and acting. At the University of Miami, he majored in theater and business before dropping out to enlist in the Army in World War II. He became a navigator on bombing missions over Germany and earned the Distinguished Flying Cross, among other medals.

After the war, he helped run a United Service Organization theater in Germany, finished his studies in Miami and studied acting in New York. In the late 1950s, he started a club at 147 Bleecker Street called the Cock and Bull, which featured a Broadway theme. It barely scraped by, and in 1961 it became the Bitter End — another Village landmark — under different ownership.

In 1959, someone told Mr. Roth about a garage that used to be an old horse stable on Macdougal between Bleecker and West Third Streets. You had to go down steep stairs to reach the dark, dank basement, which was bisected by a trough once used as a gutter for horse dung. Mr. Roth immediately recognized it as an excellent site for a coffee house — that legendary genre of cafe where, at least in the haziness of memory, hipsters smoked, sipped espresso and discussed Sartre.

He spent his last $100 on a truckload of broken marble to make the floor, which he personally laid. He sprayed the walls with black paint to create the feeling of a cave. There were castoff chairs and candles in blue glass flickering on every table. Full occupancy was 325.

At first, baskets were passed to pay the performers, who alternated all day long: conga drummers followed by impersonators followed by Appalachian balladeers. Mr. Dylan’s first regular job there was as a backup harmonica player during the day.

Mr. Roth kept a famously tight lid on expenses.

“By the time he got finished with a penny, you could no longer see the Lincoln on it,” the folk singer Dave Van Ronk once said.

In his book “Bob Dylan: Behind the Shades,” Clinton Heylin quoted Mr. Dylan as saying, “You got fed there, which was actually the best thing about the place.” In his autobiographical book “Chronicles: Volume One,” Mr. Dylan recalled a cook named Norbert who let him eat free at Cafe Wha?

“He wore a tomato-stained apron,” Mr. Dylan wrote, “had a fleshy, hard-bitten face, bulging cheeks, scars on his face like the marks of claws — thought of himself as a lady’s man — saving his money so he could go to Verona in Italy to visit the tomb of Romeo and Juliet.”

Mr. Roth’s downtown duchy was rich in entertainment history. On the folk singer Richie Havens’s recommendation, Mr. Roth hired Jimi Hendrix, who in the mid-1960s called himself Jimmy James as the frontman for a group called the Blue Flames. The Flames played five sets a night, sometimes six nights a week, at Cafe Wha? for little more than tips.

For two months in 1967, a then-unknown Bruce Springsteen brought his band the Castiles to the club to play afternoon sets for teenagers. Louis Gossett Jr. sang folk songs there before deciding to pursue acting full-time. Mr. Pryor told jokes there, and Mr. Roth became his first manager.

“I was in the center of the scene there — all you had to do was carry an empty guitar case and girls would follow you,” Mr. Roth was quoted as saying on the website of the rock band Van Halen, of which his nephew David Lee Roth is the frontman.

“I did my share of drugs, I had my long hair,” he continued, adding, “Every day was an adventure.”

There were, to be sure, small problems, like the time in 1961 when the police filed charges against Mr. Roth for allowing an unleashed French poodle to roam the club. (It turned out to belong to a waitress, and the charges were dropped.) Like other Village clubs, Cafe Wha? was occasionally fined for selling food and providing entertainment without a cabaret license. After Mr. Dylan was late for performances three times in a row, Mr. Roth fired him.

Ultimately, revenues from coffee, light food and a cover charge that climbed to $5 — high for those days — could not cover expenses. In 1968, Mr. Roth walked away from Cafe Wha?, essentially penniless, according to his daughter. With his marriage breaking up, he eventually moved to Woodstock, N.Y., where he ran a diner and raised his daughter and son as a single father before later marrying again.

Besides his daughter, he is survived by his son, Brandon, as well as his wife, the former Marlyse Medel; his sister, Jami Roth; and his brother, David.

Mr. Roth later sold real estate in New York City and invested in the West End Gate Cafe at Broadway and 114th Street, a 1990 resurrection of the West End Cafe, a favorite of Jack Kerouac and other beats. He moved to California about 10 years ago.

In 2012, David Lee Roth came back to play Cafe Wha?, which he had loved to visit as a 7-year-old, with Van Halen. It looked pretty much the same as he remembered it.

“This is a temple,” he told the crowd. “This is a very special place, and I am more nervous about this gig than I would ever be at the Garden. There is no hiding up here. There are no fake vocals. There is no fake anything.”

27. 3 users say thank you to Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

Dan (08-04-2014),vandeleur (08-03-2014),ZahZoo (08-03-2014)

Thread Information