• Sep 2009

Wow , really sad news .
      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
        I read an interesting article about Mork & Mindy a few years back. Apparently Robin ad-libbed most of his dialogue for the entire 4 year run. So he'd get the script, use it as an outline and they'd just roll film. The guy was a genius.

Yes, Kristy, he was a genius. And he cured cancer too.
        I was watching an interview with Ron Howard who said Robin Williams was the most talented ad lib actor he had ever seen. Yup. Ron said Robin was one of a kind.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
          Really..? I always found him to be highly annoying. The majority of his movies were shit, too. Williams was a one-trick pony of an actor who loved to play on his audience's heartstrings. He wasn't that great.
          He was more of a comedian than an actor. Hey let's be honest. Most the big Hollywood names aren't exactly great actors. Robin was a brilliant free wheelin ad lib artist. They probably gave him a general script but gave him a lot of room to work his magic. I mean he could act decent enough to fill in between the parts where he was making you laugh.

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

Very, very sad.

Depression is just an awful thing.
            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Depression is the kind of thing you wouldn't even wish on George Bush or Sammy Hagar.

Yeah, it's that bad.

I actually read Nitro's "badly installed gas water heater" up above, and tried to convince myself that it was a good explanation. But sadly, I know all too well that it probably isn't. And not just because Robin Williams had a big house and could afford to pay for a proper installation of such an appliance.

Rest in peace, Robin. Goddamn shame that you couldn't find any in this world.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                Very, very sad.

Depression is just an awful thing.
                Apparently Robin Williams suffered from it his whole life. Seems like a lot of funny people do. Maybe they get good at humor trying to cheer themselves up. Many comedians seem to have some issues actually. There also seems to be intense pressure celebrities seem to deal with that drives many of them insane. Probably the pressure of staying relevant and then of course keeping up a public image and trying to keep a certain lifestyle going. The old saying is they love you on the way up and spit on you on the way down. Whatever the pressure is, it's seems to make people crack. Add in some depression drugs and booze. Not a good combination.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                  Depression is the kind of thing you wouldn't even wish on George Bush or Sammy Hagar.

Yeah, it's that bad.

I actually read Nitro's "badly installed gas water heater" up above, and tried to convince myself that it was a good explanation. But sadly, I know all too well that it probably isn't. And not just because Robin Williams had a big house and could afford to pay for a proper installation of such an appliance.

Rest in peace, Robin. Goddamn shame that you couldn't find any in this world.
                  I don't know where he was staying. The San Francisco Bay area gets cold in the summer sometimes where one might turn on a heater. My mom had a friend die because she pulled her car into the garage and closed the door. She had been driving home and was tired. She fell asleep in the car and of course died. Strange accidents happen.

Our neighbor's daughter suffered from a bad case of depression. They had to drive off to where she was going to college because she was threatening suicide. She came home and was ok for a bit but fell back into it. We were expecting to hear of her committing suicide she was that far gone. You could see the signs and nobody could seem to help her. Her brother had her committed to the state mental hospital and whoever helped her there did wonders. She now holds a job and got remarried and sounds like things are ok. But if she didn't go to the state mental hospital she probably would have offed herself. I don't know, depression is a weird thing and sometimes the only people that can help are trained professionals. Her family could not help her.
                  Last edited by Nitro Express; 08-12-2014, 03:22 AM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Fairwrning
                    My fave RW movie role....

He played a good psycho in Insomnia as well.

His movie career was a real mix of excellent and terrible but at this point so is De Niro's.

Better to have 5 or 6 great roles and a bunch of turkeys as a legacy than dozens of mediocre ones.

He has a movie I've been meaning to watch for ages called 'Worlds Greatest Dad' which is meant to be really good and the exact opposite of his schmaltzy stuff. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1262981/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
                    Last edited by Seshmeister; 08-12-2014, 06:34 AM.

Comment

• So this is love
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2012

RIP Robin Williams...I appreciated his talent in many of his movies...Dead poet society comes to mind although it wasn't a comedy.
                      Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• Angel
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

He was a brilliant actor and an improv genius. Hopefully his death will help to generate discussion and lessen the stigma of mental illness.

There was a stupid internet hoax about him dying a couple days ago...I can't help but wonder if that triggered him. I know when I've been battling rhe demons, something like that would have sent me over the edge for sure.
                        "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                          He played a good psycho in Insomnia as well.

His movie career was a real mix of excellent and terrible but at this point so is De Niro's.

Better to have 5 or 6 great roles and a bunch of turkeys as a legacy than dozens of mediocre ones.

He has a movie I've been meaning to watch for ages called 'Worlds Greatest Dad' which is meant to be really good and the exact opposite of his schmaltzy stuff. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1262981/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
                          Other films worth watching (if you haven't already): Toys, Awakenings, Good Will Hunting, The Night Listener, aside from the more obvious ones....

Nanu, Nanu, Shazbot.
                          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• mh5150
                            Foot Soldier
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by binnie
                            Other films worth watching (if you haven't already): Toys, Awakenings, Good Will Hunting, The Night Listener, aside from the more obvious ones....

Nanu, Nanu, Shazbot.
                            Good Will Hunting was an awesome movie. ..

My tickets in the mail yet?

Comment

• vandeleur
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Sep 2009

I always thought the fisher king was very good.

Comment

• vandeleur
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Sep 2009

Could have posted this in lots of threads recently

"Some people say Jesus wasn't Jewish. Of course he was Jewish! Thirty years old, single, lives with his parents, come on. He works in his father's business, his mom thought he was God's gift, he's Jewish. Give it up"

Comment

Working...