Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Southpaw
    Roadie
    • Jan 2009

I hope they tour again, do it like 2007/2012. Just make sure you do Mohegan Sun on a Saturday night like last 2 tours so I can make a weekend of it again. Are they perfect? Fuck no! They are 60 years old. I'm 46 years old and spend my spare time on baseball diamonds, football fields, and the couch and they still rock out in front of 10-15 grand a night whenever they feel like it.I dont give a rats ass if Mike Anthony is there or not, I go to see DLR and EVH. Eddie seems more into it with his son playing so that works for me. I would probably see Dave solo in the right situation. I dont think that situation exists. Hopefuuly they need $$$ soon that will get them back on the road.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

We need some Californian divorces!

Look at John Cleese, you never used to see him from one year to the next and now he's everywhere again.

Comment

• IceCreamBlondie
        Head Fluffer
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Southpaw
        I hope they tour again, do it like 2007/2012. Just make sure you do Mohegan Sun on a Saturday night like last 2 tours so I can make a weekend of it again. Are they perfect? Fuck no! They are 60 years old. I'm 46 years old and spend my spare time on baseball diamonds, football fields, and the couch and they still rock out in front of 10-15 grand a night whenever they feel like it.I dont give a rats ass if Mike Anthony is there or not, I go to see DLR and EVH. Eddie seems more into it with his son playing so that works for me. I would probably see Dave solo in the right situation. I dont think that situation exists. Hopefuuly they need $$$ soon that will get them back on the road.
        I'd agree with that - - I DO want to see them again; I don't care how old they are now. Even seeing Dave at a smaller club would work!!
        I'm Stayin' Frosty!

Comment

• chuckjitsu
          Head Fluffer
          • Apr 2012

I'm with Southpaw. The clock is ticking on their career, so I'd like to squeeze out as much as possible before they call it a day. As long as Dave can still get it done vocally I'm good. I know there are people out there who think Dave is done vocally, but I disagree. Pound out a new album while you're at it boys!

Comment

• fraroc
            Commando
            • Jun 2012

I think that Van Halen is definitely going to tour again. The question remains though, is this it? Is this next Van Halen tour going to be the dreaded Van Halen Farewell Tour or will there be other tours down the road? I definitely agree with Carloscda. If this next tour is going to be the final Van Halen tour, it needs to be with Michael Anthony. Because Wolfie is a very talented kid, I wouldn't mind if Van Halen became a five piece dual lead guitar band with Wolfie and Eddie playing guitar and Michael Anthony on bass.
            How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• BenJammin
              Foot Soldier
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              We need some Californian divorces!

Look at John Cleese, you never used to see him from one year to the next and now he's everywhere again.
              Only problem with that comparison is John was a comedian to start with that didn't depend on athletic good looks, primal sex appeal, explosive acrobatics, multi-octave screams, whistles, and hoots. Those tools are gone now. John Cleese still has his [bronzed] sense of comedy. As does DLR to some extent, but that's not the game he signed up for.
              "Money can't buy poverty." -Marty Feldman

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

After hip replacements Cleese can't do the funny walk anymore but of course you are correct.
                It's much easier for a band like Rush to get close to their 1970s performance than Van Halen.

Comment

• BenJammin
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Feb 2004

Maybe... and only maybe... would Dave be able to cut it on future tours (along with Mike backing him up) is if someone could finally get through to him to not over reach. Quit smoking ! Maybe have his vocal chords looked at, drop his pride and take some vocal coaching if only to compensate for those aging and less-than-pliable vocal chords. That and/or if he can just keep it in his range and do it at a mediocre level would be more tolerable than trying to go over the top, especially if Mike was there [also consider even Page & Plant brought in a female backing vocalist to fill in some of Planty's high spots.

That and self realize he's mostly there for nostalgia and he's not the sexy beast anymore so drop the associated banter, it's just... well anyone over 40 should know better.

Again I will contrast my statements with my opinion that Sammy or anyone else is not an option. It's simply not VH without Dave.
                  I hate Sam to this day because of all his petty BS slamming of Dave, who never sunk to that level during those 5150/EEAS days. Dave took the high road while Slammy drank his Hatorade.

Edit: I think Dave is one of the coolest sumbitches on the planet and Sammy is a royal douche and I cringe every time I hear someone talking about the 'great time they had going to Cabo Wabo' (I live in San Diego). Fuck him and those stupid twats.
                  Last edited by BenJammin; 08-23-2014, 01:42 AM.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I doubt Dave has the ability to alter his performance mindset to scale back his theatrics... It's not in his DNA. If he did people would be complaining that he's lost his entertainer edge.

I think if someone could just sit Dave down and get him to wrap his stubborn brain around singing within his natural range and knock off the shifting into overdrive on the high register crap... then I think his vocal performances would be fine and enjoyable for all.

Of course for any of this to materialize... someone has to convince Ed & Al to get their lazy asses off the couch and fucking go do something!!!
                    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• BenJammin
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Feb 2004

If people want to see theatrics... along with the 'wall of sound' of high notes... bring in the hired guns, backup singers, stage performers, etc.

Shit man, take off the weight and delegate ! They've earned it.

Comment

• fraroc
                        Commando
                        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by BenJammin
                        Maybe... and only maybe... would Dave be able to cut it on future tours (along with Mike backing him up) is if someone could finally get through to him to not over reach. Quit smoking ! Maybe have his vocal chords looked at, drop his pride and take some vocal coaching if only to compensate for those aging and less-than-pliable vocal chords. That and/or if he can just keep it in his range and do it at a mediocre level would be more tolerable than trying to go over the top, especially if Mike was there [also consider even Page & Plant brought in a female backing vocalist to fill in some of Planty's high spots.

That and self realize he's mostly there for nostalgia and he's not the sexy beast anymore so drop the associated banter, it's just... well anyone over 40 should know better.

Again I will contrast my statements with my opinion that Sammy or anyone else is not an option. It's simply not VH without Dave.
                        I hate Sam to this day because of all his petty BS slamming of Dave, who never sunk to that level during those 5150/EEAS days. Dave took the high road while Slammy drank his Hatorade.

Edit: I think Dave is one of the coolest sumbitches on the planet and Sammy is a royal douche and I cringe every time I hear someone talking about the 'great time they had going to Cabo Wabo' (I live in San Diego). Fuck him and those stupid twats.
                        Also, the Cabo Cunt stuck a knife right in Eddie's back in 2004 and dragged Michael Anthony to become his cohort. His supposed "best friend" was on the verge of drinking himself to death that tour and he probably couldn't give a flying fuck if he croaked. Fuck Sammy in his fucking self centered ass. He has worse LV Syndrome than Dave EVER had.

Comment

• cadaverdog
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by fraroc
                          Also, the Cabo Cunt stuck a knife right in Eddie's back in 2004 and dragged Michael Anthony to become his cohort. His supposed "best friend" was on the verge of drinking himself to death that tour and he probably couldn't give a flying fuck if he croaked. Fuck Sammy in his fucking self centered ass. He has worse LV Syndrome than Dave EVER had.
                          The 2004 reunion with Hagar was about business not friendship. Doubtful it would have ever happened if Eddie didn't need the cash. He brought Sammy back long enough to make another greatest hits album and a tour and that was that. Doubtful Sammy really considered Ed to be his best friend on that tour. He probably didn't care if he drank himself to death. After the tour was over there was no Van Halen. Sammy didn't have to drag Mike anywhere. Mike was basically unemployed. Sammy offered him a job and he took it.
                          Beware of Dog

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Apr 2012

Where the fuck are the other 22 songs they worked up for ADKOT? I clearly remember reading in an interview that they had like 35 songs ready to go via the ADKOT sessions. If that's true, then why the hell is it taking so long to put out another album when you've got like 2 albums of material just sitting there basically ready to go?

As far as Dave and future touring goes, he needs to do whatever he did to prepare for the 07-08 tour because his vocals kicked ass on that tour.

Comment

• atomicpnk47
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by chuckjitsu
                              Where the fuck are the other 22 songs they worked up for ADKOT? I clearly remember reading in an interview that they had like 35 songs ready to go via the ADKOT sessions. If that's true, then why the hell is it taking so long to put out another album when you've got like 2 albums of material just sitting there basically ready to go?

As far as Dave and future touring goes, he needs to do whatever he did to prepare for the 07-08 tour because his vocals kicked ass on that tour.

The other 22 songs are probably sitting next to the 10 albums worth of material that Ed has laying around.....

Comment

• fraroc
                                Commando
                                • Jun 2012

Originally posted by cadaverdog
                                The 2004 reunion with Hagar was about business not friendship. Doubtful it would have ever happened if Eddie didn't need the cash. He brought Sammy back long enough to make another greatest hits album and a tour and that was that. Doubtful Sammy really considered Ed to be his best friend on that tour. He probably didn't care if he drank himself to death. After the tour was over there was no Van Halen. Sammy didn't have to drag Mike anywhere. Mike was basically unemployed. Sammy offered him a job and he took it.
                                Of course, fate intervened and Ed started talking to Dave again....

Sammy is the kind of asshole you know from high school who is your friend to your face and then stabs you right in the fucking back when you're not looking. He's the kind that says one thing to you but means the opposite.

Comment

Working...