SHE found fame playing the nun who turned her back on the church when she fell for a dishy doctor in TV’s Call The Midwife but actress Laura Main is happy to stay out of the spotlight.

Her career-changing role hasn’t seen her going wild at showbiz parties. In fact, she’s happiest going incognito in her walking boots, hiking in her native Aberdeenshire.

She said: “I had the most amazing family holiday in Deeside recently. We hired a cottage and did lots of walking.

“We holidayed there when we were growing up and now we have the little ones – my nephews and niece – to join in the fun. I go back to Scotland as often as I can – filming schedule permitting. I love visiting home, seeing family and getting out to the countryside.”

People have only just started to recognise her now she’s out of the habit, wimple and glasses. Once Sister Bernadette married Dr Turner and became Shelagh, she began to get noticed a lot more by her fans.

So is she really a glamour puss away from the set, then? Laura laughed and said: “I like to dress up but no, I’m not a fashionista. I am somewhere between the two camps.”

Laura enjoyed a steady succession of roles in television shows including Murder City and Monarch of the Glen before landing the part of Sister Bernadette in the BBC1 series three years ago. Set in Poplar, East London, in the 1950s, it was based on the memoirs of real-life student midwife Jennifer Worth.