Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,297 Times in 4,722 Posts

Burger King Wants to Buy Tim Hortons and Become Canadian Tax Cheaters

Burger King in Talks to Buy Canadian Chain Tim Hortons
    By Leslie Patton and Craig Giammona - Aug 25, 2014

Burger King Worldwide Inc. (BKW), the second-largest U.S. burger chain, is in talks to buy Tim Hortons Inc. (THI) and move its headquarters to Canada, becoming the latest American company seeking to relocate to a lower-tax country.

Burger King would create the world’s third-largest fast-food chain by merging with Canada’s biggest seller of coffee and doughnuts, the companies said in a statement. The Canadian corporate tax rate is typically 26.5 percent, compared with 40 percent in the U.S., according to auditing and tax firm KPMG.

The deal renews debate over American companies shifting their headquarters internationally in search of lower corporate tax bills. The trend drew criticism last month from President Barack Obama, and his aides vowed that the administration would take action to curtail the practice.

“There’s some modest political risk to the deal, but it’s difficult to say because we haven’t seen the administration move to block one of these yet,” said Will Slabaugh, an analyst at Stephens Inc. in Little Rock, Arkansas.

The merger talks sent shares of both companies soaring. Burger King rose 20 percent to $32.40, the biggest jump since the stock debuted on the New York Stock Exchange two years ago. Tim Hortons climbed 19 percent to C$82.03, reaching a record high. The stock gains propelled the market value of Burger King past $11 billion and Tim Hortons to C$10.9 billion ($9.9 billion).

The proposed deal would give Burger King access to a coffee brand with a cult following and potentially help boost breakfast sales. Burger King now sells coffees under the Seattle’s Best name, which is owned by Starbucks Corp. Tim Hortons also would let Burger King get into the grocery business by selling packaged coffees at supermarkets in North America.

3G Capital, which has a 70 percent stake in Miami-based Burger King, would own the majority of the shares of the new company, according to the statement. The two businesses will operate as stand-alone brands, though there may be supply-chain cost savings from combining them.

How U.S. Companies Buy Tax Breaks

3G was co-founded by billionaire Jorge Paulo Lemann, Brazil’s richest person. The firm’s managers have gained a reputation by squeezing costs out of the companies it acquires, Slabaugh said.

“These guys are known for making some very smart financial moves,” he said.

3G, which teamed up with Berkshire Hathaway Inc. last year to buy HJ Heinz Co., has made cost cutting a priority at the ketchup company. Heinz embarked on a plan to fire more than 1,000 workers and close plants in North America, though a group of Ontario investors said in March that they would keep open the Canadian tomato-juice factory.

In Burger King’s case, the new combined business would have about $22 billion in sales and more than 18,000 restaurants in 100 countries. The deal is subject to negotiation, and Burger King and Tim Hortons don’t plan to comment further until an agreement is reached or discussions are discontinued, according to the statement.

Between mid-June and late July, when Obama began criticizing deals that cut taxes by relocating outside the U.S., at least five large American companies have announced plans to make such a move -- known as an “inversion.” That includes AbbVie Inc. and Medtronic Inc.

Since the start of 2012, at least 21 U.S. companies have announced or completed the deals, comprising almost half the total of 51 such transactions in the past three decades.

Burger King already pays a rate below 40 percent, the result of operating in a mix of tax jurisdictions. Its effective tax rate in 2013 was 27.5 percent, the company said in a filing. Still, the rate may eventually creep up toward 35 percent without the inversion, Slabaugh said.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest said today he wouldn’t comment on specific actions by any company. He repeated previous administration statements that the Treasury Department is looking at potential changes in rules to make tax inversion deals “less appealing.”

“Companies that consider actions like an inversion continue to benefit from all of the resources of the United States,” Earnest said at a briefing in Washington. “It’s not fair for them to just fill out some paperwork that would allow them to just renounce their citizenship” to lower their tax rate.

Close Loophole?

Earnest said Obama’s goal remains getting Congress to pass legislation to rework business taxes. Saying that getting that done will “take some time,” he said Congress in the interim should approve stand-alone legislation closing the loophole that allows inversions.

Tim Hortons, which has about 4,500 restaurants, is expanding its product lines to boost sales. The Oakville, Ontario-based company posted results this month that beat estimates and said fiscal 2014 profit will top or be at the high end of its target range.

Burger King, meanwhile, has been trying to revive growth in a moribund fast-food industry. Its revenue fell 6.1 percent to $261.2 million in the second quarter, while same-store sales in the U.S. and Canada rose 0.4 percent. To help streamline the chain, Burger King has been trying to introduce fewer new items, helping its kitchens move more quickly.
    Young Management

The plan to move to Canada follows Burger King’s stock-market debut in 2012. The chain had been taken private in 2010 by 3G, which got $1.4 billion in cash from the public offering.

About a year after it was taken public, 3G put one of its partners, Daniel Schwartz, at the helm of the fast-food chain. Schwartz, 33, a Cornell University graduate, had no experience in the industry before going to Burger King. Chief Financial Officer Josh Kobza and Alex Macedo, who runs North America for Burger King, also are under 40 years old.

U.S. fast-food restaurants are struggling with shaky consumer confidence and steep competition, adding pressure to find ways to alleviate the burden. Burger King has been trying to draw customers with value deals, such as a two-sandwiches-for-$5 offer, as well as some new limited-time fare such as chicken fries.

Tim Hortons, which claims to sell eight out of 10 cups of coffee in Canada, was founded by Hall of Fame Toronto Maple Leafs hockey defenseman Tim Horton in 1964 and has become one of the nation’s most recognized brands. Wendy’s Co. acquired the chain in 1995 and then spun it off as a public company in 2006.

Still, it’s been difficult to build the brand south of the border. Investors have criticized the company’s U.S. growth strategy, saying it hasn’t gotten much of a payoff from the hundreds of millions spent over the past decade. In an interview last year, CEO Marc Caira said winning over U.S. consumers was key to Tim Hortons’ strategy.

“The U.S. for me is what I call a must-win battle,” he said.

To contact the reporters on this story: Leslie Patton in Chicago at lpatton5@bloomberg.net; Craig Giammona in New York at cgiammona@bloomberg.net

To contact the editors responsible for this story: Nick Turner at nturner7@bloomberg.net
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I was going to ask your opinion but the complete title of the thread says it all. It doesn't seem right that a company that does business here shouldn't have to pay US taxes on the money they make here. Do other countries let US based companies do business there without paying taxes?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2023 @ 07:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 823 Posts

Fuck yeah. Apple and Google pay next to no tax here.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,062 Posts

Blog Entries
    Bet they get to hump kangaroos for next to nothing as well.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Ugh...too many words. I stopped when I read BK is the second largest burger chain in the US. Who knew? I mean, I like their whopper, better than any of McDs burgers. But I always thought Burger King was kinda like one step up from Hardees.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts

I have a Burger King about once a year in an emergency. We have a thing here called an Angus Burger which is almost acceptable, according to Wiki they don't do them in the US any more. Their fries are surprisingly shit which is a good thing as it stops any temptation to buy them.

Anyhoo I think the main point of the post is the ongoing shit that big corporations don't pay corporation tax any more. Why can't governments get together and fix this?

7. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

DONNIEP (08-25-2014)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Right, thanks for the condensed version. When I see that many words in one post I tend to tune out.

The Whopper here is pretty good. I haven't had BK's fries in a while but they used to be little stick looking things. Sucked Ballz. If they'd get their fries right then they'd have something.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,526 Times in 1,997 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    RWhen I see that many words in one post I tend to tune out.
    Me too!

Tim Horton's just came out with a dark roast that is awesome!

Hockey and Tim Horton's, the greatest things those Cafucks have ever produced!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Tim Horton's is a fucking institution in Canada. Look for it to be totally destroyed if Burger King swallows it up

Most ironic thing about this story, is there are Tim Horton's in BC that are co-located with Wendy's, (pretty much like the KFC/Pizza Slut combo-franchises in the US) so they can't be happy about this either.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Who the fuck is Tim Horton???

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-13-2024 @ 10:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Tim Horton was a Hockey Player with one hell of an idea.

13. 2 users say thank you to WACF for this KICKASS post:

Angel (08-26-2014),Diamondjimi (08-26-2014)

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-13-2024 @ 10:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Tim Horton's is a fucking institution in Canada. Look for it to be totally destroyed if Burger King swallows it up

Most ironic thing about this story, is there are Tim Horton's in BC that are co-located with Wendy's, (pretty much like the KFC/Pizza Slut combo-franchises in the US) so they can't be happy about this either.
    There is at least one co Wendy's/Hortons here in Saskatoon.

But...when I heard of this I cringed...I hope in no way they mess with it.

I like Timmies the way it is!

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WACF View Post
    Thank you. I figured he had to be some kind of superhero.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

We have a KFC/Taco Bell here in town. Sounds like an odd combo but it works. We don't eat much fast food but it's a good compromise for when I can't be bothered to cook.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,526 Times in 1,997 Posts

We have a lot of the TH/Wendy's combo stores here in Michigan.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

We have a KFC/Taco Bell here in town. Sounds like an odd combo but it works. We don't eat much fast food but it's a good compromise for when I can't be bothered to cook.
    Actually having two totally different types of food would work well in small towns and truckstops that don't attract large crowds very often. I don't think the KFC/Pizza Hut combo is that bad either. Out here it's Carl's and Green Burrito and Weinershnitzel and Dairy Queen. They only sell Dairy Queen ice cream stuff though, no DQ burgers and such.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

We have a Taco Bell/Pizza Hut in the next town over. It works pretty well too. And the DQ in the mall is a DQ/Orange Julius stand. And that shit rocks like a motherfucker! They have all the DQ food and ice cream PLUS all the Orange Julius stuff. God I do so love a large Orange Julius drink...frothy, orangey, with just a hint of...chocolate maybe. I used to take chocolate ice cream and orange juice and crank it up in the blender and it almost had that Orange Julius flavor. Well, to me anyways.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think fast food isn't a great advert for capitalism especially with pizza.

The big pizza chains are IMHO really shit.

Pizza is the greatest scam in the world, it's peasant food. Flour and water and a little cheese. Then you get to charge a dollar for a topping of a mushroom which is maybe 2 fucking mushrooms. You go to Naples where it comes from and you can still buy amazing pizza for $5. The American chain version from Dominoes or Pizza Hut is expensive fucking garbage. I say that as someone that has bought plenty of them over the years. I don't think this is anything to do with taste it's to do with profits and marketing and so on. It's because the people that set up those franchises did that bit well not that the food was any good.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You can buy any pizza at Pizza Hut for 11 bucks. Any size, all the toppings you want. You have to order it online these days but you can get a super duper triple dick whack paddy wack pizza for 11 bucks. And guess what? It sucks Ballz.

There's a mom & pop Eyetalyun joint in town, run by Greeks, that has some of the best pizza you'll ever eat. Sure, it's a little more expensive. But it's great.

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2017 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I have no problem with this....it is the way of commercial enterprise. After BK leaves and pays less taxes just put a license fee on everything they sell in the US. Done and Done. Charge them to use the roads....charge them to use the water....charge them every time they use US infrastructure. Simple. Long as they pay their own way I don't care if they relocate to Russia. Require the Corp leadership to change their citizenship...it's ok if they are in search of what every chick is: The BBD.

And each time a corp does it put a 15 yr cap on it. So they cannot come back for 15 yrs. Let them bust open the 34 million population of burger selling in Canada instead of the 300 mil they could have sold to in the US. They will save a lot of taxes selling 34 million burgers a year instead of 300 mil. Done and Done.
    Last edited by SunisinuS; 08-26-2014 at 01:21 AM. Reason: The Bigger Better Deal. Loyalty has nothing to do with it. Just they can't come back on my lawn.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,579 Times in 3,458 Posts

Ugh...too many words. I stopped when I read BK is the second largest burger chain in the US. Who knew? I mean, I like their whopper, better than any of McDs burgers. But I always thought Burger King was kinda like one step up from Hardees.
    You're out of your mind, BK is huge. They're the one the chains you find everywhere. There are no Hardees left here despite the fact that anything Canadian, including Tim Hortons, is huge here.

There's literally a Tim Hortons at every major thoroughfare here, and I am not exaggerating in the least bit. Tim Horton himself was a legendary NHL hockey player that died in the twilight of his career while playing for the Buffalo Sabres after spending years, decades in Toronto. He was killed in a car accident and is one of the only professional athletes to have played in four different decades in their sport (something like 1948-1972 without checking). Duncan Donuts what? We have that too, but not anywhere near Tims here. Personally, I think Tim Hortons is okay, but really not a fan of their coffee and their donuts kind of suck even though I rarely eat donunts in general...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    Actually having two totally different types of food would work well in small towns and truckstops that don't attract large crowds very often. I don't think the KFC/Pizza Hut combo is that bad either. Out here it's Carl's and Green Burrito and Weinershnitzel and Dairy Queen. They only sell Dairy Queen ice cream stuff though, no DQ burgers and such.
    Brazer DQ is the best for burgers and shit!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WACF View Post
    His widow is very, very rich I think...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

Wendy's owned Tim Horton's for a while then spun it off.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    You're out of your mind, BK is huge. They're the one the chains you find everywhere.
    I was mainly talking about the quality of the food, comparing them to Hardees.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's weird how the two biggest burger chains both had such creepy mascots...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    You're out of your mind, BK is huge. They're the one the chains you find everywhere. There are no Hardees left here despite the fact that anything Canadian, including Tim Hortons, is huge here.
    I don't know what BK does there, but here some of their locations are in leased buildings, with a requirement to remodel every so many years. Maybe it's a corporate thing, I dunno. Any other franchise owns the building and land, and will remodel or tear down and rebuild on the same lot. We're on our third McD's on the same lot, second Taco Bell across from it. I know of three local BK's that have closed up, leaving empty buildings.

There's one Hardee's near me, and I know there's a couple on the turnpike. Rally's went in not far from Hardee's and I would much rather go to Rally's.

I remember reading that Tim's liked it's US stores to be within "driving distance" of Canada. We don't have any here but there's one in Toledo...I think the drive from here to Niagara is about the same as the drive from south Toledo 'burbs to Windsor. Think I've been to Tim's once, in Montreal.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    I remember reading that Tim's liked it's US stores to be within "driving distance" of Canada. We don't have any here but there's one in Toledo...I think the drive from here to Niagara is about the same as the drive from south Toledo 'burbs to Windsor. Think I've been to Tim's once, in Montreal.
    They've been expanding, for sure. And this merger should help it expand even more, although I don't like BK's tax dodging, at least it gives BK great coffee.

They have two TH in my hometown in NW PA, 5 in Erie. They currently have them as far south (for the public anyway) in West Virginia. They sell TH at the Penguins' arena in Pittsburgh. And for me, I get lucky because the Navy has had TH on two of their bases here in our area, one of which is like 4 miles from my house.

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 08:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,076 Posts

I actually prefer McD's coffee over Tim's...

The donuts WERE good, when they made them fresh in store.

32. Thanked Angel for this KICKASS post:

So this is love (08-26-2014)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    I actually prefer McD's coffee over Tim's...
    You're not a real Canadian....

34. Thanked Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

Angel (08-26-2014)

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Keep drinking that filthy water...

Quote King™
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-08-2020 @ 05:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I have a Burger King about once a year in an emergency.
    I usually have an emergency after Burger King.

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    Keep drinking that filthy water...
    No...our water is clean, not swamp.

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VetteLS5 View Post
    I usually have an emergency after Burger King.
    I cannot remember the last time I ate there...they don't send coupons out.

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-05-2021 @ 09:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SunisinuS View Post
    I have no problem with this....it is the way of commercial enterprise. After BK leaves and pays less taxes just put a license fee on everything they sell in the US. Done and Done. Charge them to use the roads....charge them to use the water....charge them every time they use US infrastructure. Simple. Long as they pay their own way I don't care if they relocate to Russia. Require the Corp leadership to change their citizenship...it's ok if they are in search of what every chick is: The BBD.

And each time a corp does it put a 15 yr cap on it. So they cannot come back for 15 yrs. Let them bust open the 34 million population of burger selling in Canada instead of the 300 mil they could have sold to in the US. They will save a lot of taxes selling 34 million burgers a year instead of 300 mil. Done and Done.
    Spoken like a true hardcore socialist. You don’t understand communism by insurance mandate so this certainly isn’t a surprise. Your position is supported by charade brown, an Ohio democrat who got his ass handed to him by Colin Powell.

So, when regimes change you won’t have a problem with the U.S. taxing john kerry’s wife’s business in the same fashion.

I noticed you didn’t mention $2 billion unaccounted for in the Pentagon, $2 billion unaccounted for in the US Dept. of Education and that the U.S. gov’t expects us to keep paying taxes for them to piss the money away.

My position is simple: BK served the faggot whopper. Good riddance.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksmar View Post
    Spoken like a true hardcore socialist.

41. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Angel (08-26-2014)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Spoken like a true hardcore fascist, educated in BCE occupied Florida. You don't understand that mandated purchase of something from private corporations is the polar opposite of "communism".

43. 2 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

Angel (08-26-2014),Kristy (08-26-2014)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Asscrackasmr will never have any understanding of political ideologies other than what his corporate talk show masters tell him. Oh, and his lame-ass Google searches.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

.frothy, orangey, with just a hint of...chocolate maybe. I used to take chocolate ice cream and orange juice and crank it up in the blender and it almost had that Orange Julius flavor. Well, to me anyways.
    says the cilantro soap lover...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And don't expect John BONER's congress to do anything about these tax cheat shitbags.

....because that Oompa Loompa son of a bitch is making money off the scam....

Boehner, Camp Profit From Corporate Bid to Avoid U.S. Tax
    By Richard Rubin - Aug 26, 2014

Two top Republican lawmakers profited from a corporate tax-avoidance maneuver that the U.S. Treasury Department is seeking to curb.

While U.S. House Speaker John Boehner and Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp have resisted calls for a crackdown on companies adopting overseas addresses to pay lower taxes, both have made money off one of the deals. They also have investments at risk of losing value because of government action.

The two lawmakers reported the sale of stock in Covidien Plc within nine days of Medtronic Inc. saying it was planning a takeover, an announcement that sent Dublin-based Covidien’s shares near a 52-week high. The deal, one of several that have sparked a national debate over U.S. corporate tax policy, would put the combined company’s headquarters in Ireland and reduce its tax rate.

How U.S. Companies Buy Tax Breaks

Boehner, the top Republican in Congress, and Camp, whose committee controls tax policy, haven’t backed a proposal by President Barack Obama and Democrats for a retroactive law that would penalize the Medtronic-Covidien deal and seven others.

According to an analysis of public disclosures, the lawmakers still hold Medtronic shares -- and Camp bought additional stock after the medical-device maker announced the transaction. Those holdings, though only a small part of the two multimillionaires’ stock portfolios, give them an interest in the deal’s completion, along with their ability to influence the outcome.
    ‘Beyond Suspicion’

Their actions are legal, and spokesmen for both say the congressmen weren’t involved in the financial decisions and that the trades were made by their investment advisers. Still, the two lawmakers, who have more sway over tax policy than any other House members, are invested in deals that Obama and other Democrats say are wrong and unpatriotic.

A Bloomberg News review of public filings of congressional leaders and members of the tax committees found at least five other lawmakers with investments in companies involved in inversion deals.

“The opportunities for being swayed by that are legion,” said Miles Rapoport, president of Common Cause, a Washington-based group that advocates for open government. “This is not a small issue where we wonder whether legislators are acting entirely in the public interest or whether somewhere in their mind it’s about how they will fare themselves.”
    Delegating Authority

Boehner and Camp each sold between $15,000 and $50,000 in Covidien shares in June. Boehner holds at least $15,000 in Medtronic stock and Camp at least $20,000. Lawmakers are only required to report such transactions within broad ranges, and the Medtronic figures could be far higher for Camp.

“Speaker Boehner is not involved in day-to-day stock trades,” his spokesman, Michael Steel, said in an e-mailed statement. “He delegated that authority to an investment adviser, who has handled such transactions for years.”

Camp “releases a full and complete disclosure of his personal finances on a regular basis,” said his spokesman, Sage Eastman. “A firm handles all trades, and the chairman is not involved in the day-to-day investment decisions.”

The Medtronic-Covidien transaction would be penalized under bills proposed by Democrats that would make it harder for U.S. companies to carry out such tax-inversion deals. The terms of the deal allow Minneapolis-based Medtronic to walk away from the transaction if the law passes.

Boehner and Camp say the U.S. should instead address the issue in a broader revamp of the tax code that reduces the corporate rate and provides a more permanent solution to the problem.
    Drawing Scrutiny

Inversions have become more common and larger over the past year, drawing closer scrutiny. In the recent wave, U.S. companies have bought smaller overseas businesses and then taken the foreign addresses, without moving executives or operations. The deals give companies easier access to offshore profits and open opportunities to reduce taxes on their U.S. income.

Burger King Worldwide Inc., the second-largest U.S. burger chain, is in talks to buy Tim Hortons Inc. and move its headquarters to Canada, the companies said on Aug. 24.

Democrats call such deals a threat to the corporate tax base. The bill they’re backing would penalize eight transactions, including the Medtronic-Covidien deal and AbbVie Inc.’s merger with Dublin-based Shire Plc.
    Rules Loom

Those efforts haven’t advanced in Congress, even in the Democratic-controlled Senate. The Treasury Department is working on potential rules that would make inversions less attractive; those wouldn’t require congressional approval.

For his part, Obama has raised campaign money from executives, directors and advisers involved in inversion deals, and the administration has said it won’t return any money. In 2009, as part of its bailout of the auto industry, the Treasury Department helped the Michigan parts supplier Delphi Corp. emerge from bankruptcy as a U.K. company.

Boehner and Camp have weighed in on the issue before. In 2004, the two lawmakers voted for a corporate tax bill that included language that made it more difficult for companies to invert without using a merger.

Last month, Camp was one of 34 Republicans backing a ban on federal contracts being awarded to some inverted companies, a vote he said “was important to highlight the issue.”
    Revamp Proposed

And Camp has proposed a revamp of the tax code that would cut the U.S. corporate rate to 25 percent from 35 percent, reducing the incentive for companies to take a foreign address. Obama also supports lowering the corporate tax rate.

Camp’s plan hasn’t advanced, and the 61-year-old Michigan lawmaker is retiring from Congress at the end of the year.

Boehner, 64, of Ohio, has blamed a “broken tax code” for the problem, saying it gives U.S. companies incentives to stockpile profits overseas.

“It’s one of the reasons why we have to have tax reform,” he told reporters on May 20. “We bear some of the responsibility -- in forcing companies to actually take steps like this because we make it so expensive for them to bring some of those earnings back here.”

Earlier this month, in an article he wrote for Politico, Boehner urged Obama not to “act unilaterally” to prevent inversions, saying it would exceed his executive authority.
    Fuller Picture

Members of Congress are required to report their finances annually in broad ranges. A 2012 law required additional disclosures. Now, they must disclose transactions within 45 days, giving a more current picture of their financial activities. Under the previous law, Boehner and Camp wouldn’t have had to report their June 2014 sales until May 2015.

“It’s just much, much, much more up to date,” said Sarah Bryner, research director at the Center for Responsive Politics, a Washington group that tracks money in politics.

The records show Boehner held $15,000 to $50,000 worth of Covidien stock in his individual retirement account on Dec. 31, 2013, when each share was worth $68.10.

After the Medtronic deal was announced on June 15, Covidien shares rose 20 percent in a day to $86.75.

Boehner sold $15,000 to $50,000 on June 24, when the closing price was $90.54. Covidien closed at $87.53 in trading yesterday in New York.

The Covidien sale was one of eight transactions the speaker has reported this year. It can’t be determined from the public filings whether he sold his entire holding.
    370 Trades

In addition, Boehner held $15,000 to $50,000 in Medtronic shares, which he bought on May 30, 2013, when the stock closed at $52. Medtronic closed at $63.63 in trading yesterday in New York.

Boehner’s net worth as of Dec. 31 was $2.3 million to $6.7 million, according to his public disclosure.

Camp, who has reported 370 stock trades this year, sold Covidien shares on June 17, two days after the merger announcement. The closing price that day was $88.12, a 49 percent increase from its value on May 24, 2013, the day it was purchased.

Camp’s wealth is held in a variety of accounts, including some belonging to his children and some to trusts affiliated with his wife’s family.

Camp, whose net worth is $6.9 million to $23.6 million, has increased his holding in Medtronic this year, including on May 20, before the merger was disclosed, and then on June 30, after the announcement, when he bought another $5,000 to $75,000.
    Other Lawmakers

As of Dec. 31, Camp had investments in two other companies involved in inversions: Abbott Laboratories and AbbVie.

Other lawmakers on tax-writing committees have invested in companies involved in inversion transactions.

Representative Jim Renacci, an Ohio Republican, owns shares of Abbott, AbbVie and Applied Materials Inc. Renacci has bought shares of AbbVie seven times this year, including after the July 18 inversion announcement.

Other members with holdings or trades in such companies include Senator Tom Carper, a Delaware "Democrat" (DLC shitbag); Senator Richard Burr, a North Carolina Republican; and Republican Representatives Kenny Marchant of Texas and Mike Kelly of Pennsylvania.

To contact the reporter on this story: Richard Rubin in Washington at rrubin12@bloomberg.net

To contact the editors responsible for this story: Jodi Schneider at jschneider50@bloomberg.net Mark McQuillan, Justin Blum

Thread Information