X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DONNIEP
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by FORD
    I was actually surprised at the number of gun nut right wingers on another board who thought it was incredibly stupid to put an UZI into the hands of a skinny little kid who probably weighs 75 pounds soaking wet after Thanksgiving dinner.

Problem is, while they admit the stupidity of it, they would scream bloody murder if any attempts were made to close gun show loopholes, or shut down idiot gun ranges like this one which act so irresponsibly.
    "Gun show loopholes"

I'm assuming you're saying that in my state, any idiot can roll up in a gun show and buy a pistol. Correct? Because that's not the case. Not by a long shot.
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I'm saying that idiots who put automatic assault rifles into the hands of children shouldn't be allowed to own so much as a goddamned paint ball gun.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ashstralia
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Feb 2004

As much as it pains me to say, your next school massacre will be soon. Statistically, you're overdue.

While the gun culture exists, and I'm not about to criticise from my comfy chair half a world away, ain't nothin gonna change.

Comment

• Von Halen
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Both of my boys have been shooting since they were young. Started with BB guns, and worked their way up from there. My youngest shot a 12 gauge last year for the first time, at 14. He has yet to shoot a 30.06, although I know he could handle it. They both spent a lot of time shooting small caliber stuff, before ever even thinking about larger caliber.

To be honest, the weapon I'm more afraid of putting in my teenager's hands, is a car. I grew up in a rural area where not paying attention, or a mistake, put you in a wheat field. In the Detroit area, one little mistake in a car can get you killed in an instant. These motherfuckers drive like they're the only ones that have to be somewhere. We had 951 fatalities in 2013, and 2014 is shaping up to be even more.

Comment

• ashstralia
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Feb 2004

Yes, I had my first repeating rifle at that age. And a big old bolt action .303.

Comment

• DONNIEP
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Mar 2004

My daughter is 14. My stepdad and I have been working with her at his house, getting her used to shooting my short barreled 12 gauge. Now, I know that home invasions don't really happen in most of the world, but they do happen in my state for some reason. So she needs to be able to pick that sucker up and point it at the front door just in case somebody decides they want in while I've took off to the lawn mower shop or the gas station or whatever. Of course, she could just fight off an attacker with her little fists and her cell phone. But that doesn't usually work out so great in the real world.

She wants to learn to shoot my pistols too. So, next spring I'm gonna enroll us both in a firearm safety/beginner gun owner class at the local shooting range. And no, I wouldn't allow her to grab a full auto anything and start spraying down the range.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

I'm saying that idiots who put automatic assault rifles into the hands of children shouldn't be allowed to own so much as a goddamned paint ball gun.
                An Uzi is a sub machine gun. Not an assault rifle. I've shot Uzis. The grip is in the middle of the weapon and they have a tendency to climb due to the grip placement. They designed the grip that way so the weapon can be loaded in the dark because the magazine loads into the bottom of the handle and you can put two hands together in the dark. They sacrificed controlabilty for easy quick reloads in all light conditions.

I've been a range instructor. You never have young kids start off shooting anything but small caliber long-arms. In fact, I won't even give a kid a full magazine. They have to load single shots only.

You don't give kids handguns to shoot and you certainly don't give them a heavy Uzi that climbs on recoil. One thing I see more and more of is a lack of respect for weapons. You have the people who want to get rid of them and then you have this counter rebellion. You see people like Sarah Palin and Ted Nugent acting like idiots with guns. Like they are some kind of toy.

Well they aren't toys. You don't treat them like toys and you don't act like an idiot with them. There are a few simple safety rules and if followed there never will be an accident. The instructor should have known better. You don't give a young kids like that anything but a 22 rifle and before you do that, you have a safety orientation and some instruction on how to shoot the weapon properly. Young kids never should be given hand guns or machine pistols like an UZI to fire.

The idiot got himself killed for being an idiot and now that girl has to live with killing him for the rest of her life.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• DONNIEP
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

I like guns. I've got two right here in my home office, just in case the boogey man decides he wants one of my TVs or some of that shitty tater tot casserole in my fridge.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

I was actually surprised at the number of gun nut right wingers on another board who thought it was incredibly stupid to put an UZI into the hands of a skinny little kid who probably weighs 75 pounds soaking wet after Thanksgiving dinner.

Problem is, while they admit the stupidity of it, they would scream bloody murder if any attempts were made to close gun show loopholes, or shut down idiot gun ranges like this one which act so irresponsibly.
                    Why are you surprised? Most gun owners understand common sense gun safety. Where I grew up we actually had hunter safety as part of the school health class. They had a guy from the fish and game department come in for a week and drill us on gun safety. Sounds strange but in an area of the country where a lot of people have guns and hunt, it saves lives.

I took a NRA range instructor class so I could be a range instructor up at a Boy Scout camp. They just didn't put anyone on the range. You have to take an NRA class and be certified.

I haven't taken any NRA courses since the 1980's. Back then their instruction was top notch. I don't know what it is now. But part of the course was if a person's hand wasn't large enough to properly hold a handgun they were too small to fire one and the short barrel and mobility provided some range safety concerns. Handguns were considered an adult weapon to be used by someone with a fair amount of firearms experience.

Why the pro gun movement is give no quarter is because it distrusts the other side. So when both sides distrust each other you can't make any political compromises and the NRA is taking a give no quarter stance. That being said, their firearm safety and firearm instruction classes used to be top notch. So you end up with a political organization that supports Sarah Palin who has been taped on a range swinging the barrel of a loaded shotgun around like she's a monkey but would flunk her in a gun safety class.

So you have the political (we don't trust anybody and we want it all) side and then you have the safety side.

The thing is. It is about having it all.

Last edited by Nitro Express; 08-28-2014, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• vandeleur
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                      I like guns. I've got two right here in my home office, just in case the boogey man decides he wants one of my TVs or some of that shitty tater tot casserole in my fridge.
                      Man up ya puff , leave brown ale in your fridge , bogey men go in there see the bottles of dog and run a mile
                      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• DONNIEP
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

The reason there won't be any sensible gun reforms in this country is because the extreme left wants to take them all away and the extreme right thinks everything is an "infringement" upon the people's right to bear arms. So what do they do? They scream at each other on TV and the left leaning citizens lean more to the left and the right keeps on leaning the other way. Yippee.

I always take issue with Ford's "gun show loophole" rant because, at least in this state, it's illegal to sell a handgun to anyone without a permit or a Concealed Carry License. It's illegal. Period. Does it still happen? Sure as hell does. But that's not a loophole, that's a crime. Now, if other states allow any idiot to buy a handgun at a gun show with no FBI background check and no permit, then yeah, that needs to be fixed, yesterday.

I don't have a problem with background checks or waiting periods. I also think every person who purchases a gun should have to take a firearms safety/handling course, at their own expense. Why? Because most of the idiots running out to buy an AR because they don't want the gubment to dicker derr (that's South Park for take our guns) don't have any idea how to even charge the weapon, much less handle it safely. And I don't wanna hear shit about how paying for a basic safety/handling class is an infringement. Most pistols cost around 5 or 600 bucks and if you can afford that then you damn well can afford a 100 buck certification class.

Ah, I gave up on trying to change anybody's mind a while back. I buy what I want to, I shoot it when I want to, and I carry it where I want to.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
                          Man up ya puff , leave brown ale in your fridge , bogey men go in there see the bottles of dog and run a mile
                          Look, I already have a problem with somebody breaking in here and drinking most of my beers at nite. It's the damnedest thing too. I'll lock up the house, have a couple beers, go to bed, wake up the next day and there's most of my beers - empty and in the trash can! Now, the house is locked up, so I'm thinking it's an inside job...

Comment

• vandeleur
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Sep 2009

Look, I already have a problem with somebody breaking in here and drinking most of my beers at nite. It's the damnedest thing too. I'll lock up the house, have a couple beers, go to bed, wake up the next day and there's most of my beers - empty and in the trash can! Now, the house is locked up, so I'm thinking it's an inside job...
                            Mate the same happened to me , it's strange . The same bloke shit in my pants last time I fell asleep on the stairs
                            fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• DONNIEP
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
                              Mate the same happened to me , it's strange . The same bloke shit in my pants last time I fell asleep on the stairs
                              No kidding?? Cause the sumbitch that breaks in here, he pissed all over me a couple years back!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

"Gun show loopholes"

I'm assuming you're saying that in my state, any idiot can roll up in a gun show and buy a pistol. Correct? Because that's not the case. Not by a long shot.
                                I just went to a gun show and it was no different than going to a gun store. If you bought a firearm you had to fill out the ATF form and they called the FBI for the check. Just like in the store. Sure you still can buy a gun from an owner with no trail or paperwork. That has nothing to do with gun shows. I still see the occasional ad in the paper with someone selling a gun. People are doing that less because if the serial number is registered to you, you are liable.

The best thing about the gun show was some family were there selling carmel apples. I haven't had one in ages and they made their own carmel from scratch. Very good!
                                Last edited by Nitro Express; 08-28-2014, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Working...