Thread: Michael Anthony on Trunk Podcast

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    08-25-2020 @ 11:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Clues there is indeed something going on

I still believe a new album is in the works. We all know as Van Halen fans getting any info out of that camp is extremely difficult. It's been there philosophy to keep things pretty quiet until the last moment with only vague hints of activity. It usually gets quietest before something is about to happen. That still may mean months away but here are a couple of things that show something is happening . . . . .

1) Roth said there was a "secret project" in April of this year and talked about a new album and that it would be out in 18 months or so .

2) Mark Tremonti in February of 2014 . . . Said Mark: "With Wolfgang in the band now, he does a lot of work with VAN HALEN right now, they're putting together a new album,
    so it's going to be hard to get everybody's schedules to line up."

3) When the new picture of Ed visiting the Howie Weinberg Mastering Studio in July that was possibly to do with a new album.

Any thoughts?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Quote King™
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-08-2020 @ 05:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grit View Post
    Any thoughts?
    Donnie likes Tacos.

Love your optimism though!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. Thanked VetteLS5 for this KICKASS post:

DONNIEP (09-10-2014)

ever wonder why u wonder
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2017 @ 06:48 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I still believe a new album is in the works. We all know as Van Halen fans getting any info out of that camp is extremely difficult. It's been there philosophy to keep things pretty quiet until the last moment with only vague hints of activity. It usually gets quietest before something is about to happen. That still may mean months away but here are a couple of things that show something is happening . . . . .

1) Roth said there was a "secret project" in April of this year and talked about a new album and that it would be out in 18 months or so .

2) Mark Tremonti in February of 2014 . . . Said Mark: "With Wolfgang in the band now, he does a lot of work with VAN HALEN right now, they're putting together a new album,

3) When the new picture of Ed visiting the Howie Weinberg Mastering Studio in July that was possibly to do with a new album.

Any thoughts?
    Get Ready. ....

5. 4 users say thank you to mh5150 for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (09-10-2014),Droomer5150 (09-11-2014),mug (09-10-2014),ZahZoo (09-11-2014)

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

I would love to see the classic Van halen 1 time. I've seen them with Dave & Wolf, Sam & Mike, Gary, Dave solo, Sam solo, Sam with Mike (the other half)....every fucking incarnation but the real deal 100 proof Van fucking Halen!

That said, to me it was always about Dave & Eddie. That was all I really NEEDED to see in my lifetime & I did that. Was magical. So for the most part I am content. And ADKOT was frosting on top of being content. But god damn, get Mike back & let Wolf leave the nest to do great things. Get the 4 together & hang on to this like Keef & Mick are hanging on to the grave. No reason this couldn't go until 1 is buried....and even then did you guys see the hologram Tupac? o_O

7. 2 users say thank you to sadaist for this KICKASS post:

katina (09-11-2014),PETE'S BROTHER (09-11-2014)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

I agree with the others, the only way Mike will ever be back for any period of time will be as a result of Wolf telling Pops he wants to branch out with Tremonti or whomever.....

OR, if Wolf simply tells EVH to bring back Mike for one last tour with the original four, because that's what the fans want.....

It sure as hell won't happen with any initiative from Ed. Ed doesn't give a shit about any legacy, he doesn't care about what the fans may want, he doesn't care about what it might mean financially, none of that matters to him.....

I still hold out hope that one day Wolf will indeed do that. He's in tune with the fans via social media. After all, if it wasn't for Wolf, would we even be looking at Dave in the band?

9. 5 users say thank you to Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

Angel (09-11-2014),DLR Bridge (09-11-2014),katina (09-11-2014),Seshmeister (09-11-2014),vandeleur (09-11-2014)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,526 Times in 1,997 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Ed doesn't give a shit about any legacy, he doesn't care about what the fans may want
    Does Dave care about the legacy? I don't think he gives two shits about the VH legacy. I'm not even so sure he cares about his own legacy.

Does Dave care what the fans may want? Believe it or not, as out of touch with the fans as these guys are, I do believe Dave has been behind the decisions that has given us the most. I truly believe Dave was behind the decision to allow all recording devices into the shows. To this day, they are the ONLY band that has publicly allowed this. I fucking waltzed into shows with a professional photo rig, that I can't get into any other show, without an all access, or photo, pass. People might think this wasn't that big of a deal, but they set a precedence that no other band has gone along with, to this day. Just like they did back in the day, they blazed another trail. Sometimes I think Dave is very limited to his part in the band, and other times I think he has a lot more pull than anyone really knows. Yes, they still treat us like shit, for the most part. They still fail miserably at keeping their most important fans, the diehards like us, abreast of what is going on with them. They still don't understand what their history and music has meant to some of us. But they do surprise us every once in awhile. Still not convinced they care about what the fans want though.

Does Wolf care about the legacy, at this point? I think he did at one time, but I get the feeling he's over it now. I'm sure he'd love the earnings of another album and tour. But, does he really care about the legacy?

11. 2 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Angel (09-11-2014),DONNIEP (09-11-2014)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Does Dave care about the legacy? I don't think he gives two shits about the VH legacy. I'm not even so sure he cares about his own legacy.
    When it comes to Dave, I think of my favorite Most Interesting Man In The World quote:

"It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary"

Dave cares about his legacy, but he has an eccentric artist's way of showing it. I think the manner in which he took the lead on those 'old days' discussion sessions with Ed and Al a couple of years ago tells me that he does care about the VH legacy. Voicing his opinion about what band he thinks Mike Anthony should currently be in is a sign that he cares, also.
    Last edited by DLR Bridge; 09-11-2014 at 10:34 AM.

13. 2 users say thank you to DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

vandeleur (09-11-2014),Von Halen (09-11-2014)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Does Dave care what the fans may want? Believe it or not, as out of touch with the fans as these guys are, I do believe Dave has been behind the decisions that has given us the most. I truly believe Dave was behind the decision to allow all recording devices into the shows. To this day, they are the ONLY band that has publicly allowed this. I fucking waltzed into shows with a professional photo rig, that I can't get into any other show, without an all access, or photo, pass. People might think this wasn't that big of a deal, but they set a precedence that no other band has gone along with, to this day. Just like they did back in the day, they blazed another trail. Sometimes I think Dave is very limited to his part in the band, and other times I think he has a lot more pull than anyone really knows. Yes, they still treat us like shit, for the most part. They still fail miserably at keeping their most important fans, the diehards like us, abreast of what is going on with them. They still don't understand what their history and music has meant to some of us. But they do surprise us every once in awhile. Still not convinced they care about what the fans want though.

I guess the only response to that is by asking this question: Don't you think that if Dave could make it so, that he'd get Mike back in the band ASAP? Every indication I've read over the years since he's rejoined the band is that while he's certainly complimented Wolf on his playing ability and has toted the company line, he's always given subtle hints that ideally the band should have Mike in it.

15. Thanked Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

Angel (09-11-2014)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I guess the only response to that is by asking this question: Don't you think that if Dave could make it so, that he'd get Mike back in the band ASAP? Every indication I've read over the years since he's rejoined the band is that while he's certainly complimented Wolf on his playing ability and has toted the company line, he's always given subtle hints that ideally the band should have Mike in it.
    I definitely believe Dave would put Mike back in his rightful place in the band. What I'm not sure about is, is it because he cares about the legacy? Or is it because he knows how much better they would sound with Mike's harmonies? Or is it both?

The best thing that could happen, is if the next Tremonti album just blew up, and sold a zillion copies. That might take Wolf out of the VH loop. I don't see that happening, with the state of the record business these days. Plus, Tremonti is in several bands right now, and how much of himself can he really be dedicating to "Tremonti"? Alter Bridge is selling much greater than the Tremonti projects are.

If any of them truly care about the legacy, then why aren't they seemingly looking back? Why can you get a fucking blu-ray of live shows from even the most obscure bands from their era, but you can't get one from VH? What could possibly cement their legacy anymore, than offering up the US Festival? Or the Oakland show? Or any of the others we are forced to watch, that are horrible quality by today's standards?

If they were to make amends with Mike, do you think this might give them the inclination to release some of the stuff from the vaults? Do you think their grudge towards Mike has anything at all to do with the refusal to offer some of this stuff to the fans?

Ed has no problem selling striped guitars and stuff. Of course, he is getting the bulk of the profits from these ventures. Is he so concerned Mike will see a dime of the profits, that he can't bring himself to release the other stuff? Supposedly Mike signed his rights away, so it doesn't seem that would be an issue. Or, does Ed just think it isn't relevant today? To me, that doesn't make sense, because he's just released another guitar that goes back to the old days. Does he think it will hurt Wolf's feelings? I gotta believe Wolf would have no problem with an old show being released on DVD. Especially if they coupled it with a show he's in.

I don't know. Sometimes I wonder why I waste so much time thinking about why these fucking guys just can't seem to get out of their own way, when it comes us, some of the most loyal and diehard fans of any band, on the planet.

17. 4 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Angel (09-11-2014),DONNIEP (09-11-2014),mh5150 (09-12-2014),vandeleur (09-11-2014)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sometimes I wonder why I waste so much time thinking about why these fucking guys just can't seem to get out of their own way...
    It's a sickness I tell ya. Sometimes, I can't get out of my own way, and I still put more thought towards fixing that damn band.

19. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

Angel (09-11-2014)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,003 Posts

Blog Entries
    I think the primary inhibitor for releasing anything from the vaults is just 100% laziness... which makes no sense because projects like that don't require any heavy lifting nor hard work.

Most of it wouldn't even require much from the band... Just a matter of getting a decent engineer to weed through the tapes, clean them up and assemble enough to fill a CD or DVD. Then send it off to someone to master and digitally clean it further. A few hours of review and deciding play orders and what's in or out is all the band would need to do...

Outside of laziness... I think Ed would just rather bury everything in the past for fear of having to see or hear his fucked up self or be reminded who he's mistreated while blasted out of mind on drugs/alcohol... That's got to scare the livin shit out of him!!

21. 3 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Angel (09-11-2014),DLR Bridge (09-11-2014),DONNIEP (09-11-2014)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Ed's "legacy" only goes back as far as the press conference announcing the newest version of VH that he's decided to trot out.

I would say yeah, Dave cares about his legacy and point the the Roth Shows as proof. But I think he cranks those out just because he really likes to hear himself talk. A lot. About wrestling. And other boring stuff nobody cares about. I don't want to know which comic book he read as a 4 year old that inspired the lighting rig for the '82 tour. Just tell the stories about VH and being super rock star Dave. Or better yet, just release a giant box set of everything he's ever laid down on tape prior to say 2005. That would just about cover his "legacy". Plus it would really piss off Ed which is always a plus.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    And other boring stuff nobody cares about. I don't want to know which comic book he read as a 4 year old that inspired the lighting rig for the '82 tour.
    donno, i really like that insight into his creative expression

24. 2 users say thank you to PETE'S BROTHER for this KICKASS post:

Angel (09-11-2014),katina (09-11-2014)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PETE'S BROTHER View Post
    donno, i really like that insight into his creative expression
    Same here. I could do without the wrestling babble, though.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    We need more in-depth discussion of his herd dog training and more 20 minute repetitious dancing shows...

I think it's also time for Dave to spill all the beans on the Bart Walsh cuntroversy...

27. 2 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

DONNIEP (09-11-2014),mh5150 (09-12-2014)

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

extreme sheathing vids are cool too

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I think it's also time for Dave to spill all the beans on the Bart Walsh cuntroversy...
    You don't know that story?

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I recall the story... I want to hear Dave's spin on it.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I think the primary inhibitor for releasing anything from the vaults is just 100% laziness... which makes no sense because projects like that don't require any heavy lifting nor hard work.

Most of it wouldn't even require much from the band... Just a matter of getting a decent engineer to weed through the tapes, clean them up and assemble enough to fill a CD or DVD. Then send it off to someone to master and digitally clean it further. A few hours of review and deciding play orders and what's in or out is all the band would need to do...

Outside of laziness... I think Ed would just rather bury everything in the past for fear of having to see or hear his fucked up self or be reminded who he's mistreated while blasted out of mind on drugs/alcohol... That's got to scare the livin shit out of him!!
    I think i mentioned it in another thread, but they should do an update of their "Lost Weekend With Van Halen" contest- the "Lost Vault Tapes of Van Halen" contest. Pick some fan or fans to scour through the vaults and see what's there. Hell, they wouldn't even have to pay anybody. Any number of people from this site alone would be in perma nut busting mode going through all that stuff, myself included. I wouldn't even care if there was Sammy crap mixed in there- just set that in the "trash" pile and go about my business.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I used to know the story. Then I forgot it. Then I found a couple threads about it but dammit I forgot again. So tell the story!

33. Thanked DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

Angel (09-11-2014)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    I think i mentioned it in another thread, but they should do an update of their "Lost Weekend With Van Halen" contest- the "Lost Vault Tapes of Van Halen" contest. Pick some fan or fans to scour through the vaults and see what's there. Hell, they wouldn't even have to pay anybody. Any number of people from this site alone would be in perma nut busting mode going through all that stuff, myself included. I wouldn't even care if there was Sammy crap mixed in there- just set that in the "trash" pile and go about my business.
    A good bit of the stuff has already been cataloged. They had a guy working on it a few years back (maybe more). And as usual nothing came of it.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

It would be nice for just one last goround.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-22-2016 @ 07:49 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Any thoughts?
    If there is a new album, I'm guessing it'd be more of the "35 songs from the Different Kind of Truth demos". That would be easy for the band, they wouldn't have to worry about writing anything but some lyrics possibly and some small revisions? Plus if there is a new album coming early next year I'm guessing that visit may have been Eddie taking the premasters to the studio and it'd most likely be done by now. They're probably sorting out packaging, release dates, label, promotion (although they didn't do much of that last time haha).

Then again because we know like 3 little hints I could be completely wrong....all I say is to top A Different Kind of Truth they better bring out a new album AND 1984 blu-ray (with 1984 documentary)....then in between the 2008 show (with bonus songs from 2012) then more of the 35 songs can make another album and to top that they need to bring out a live bluray of Oakland....then more of the 35 songs and a early CVH bluray boxset (remaster 78, 79, prealbum footage, 1980 documentary, US festival etc, behind the scenes stuff)....and then that'd probably be it from the 35 songs and I'd be content...one more album with the original four (and live blu-ray)? Maybe a full Aus tour as well? So I can actually see them (with Mike or Wolf, I don't care as long as I witness Eddie and Alex live) hahaha. All this must happen within the next 2-3 years too...asking too much?
    Last edited by Droomer5150; 09-11-2014 at 10:06 PM.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-28-2022 @ 12:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Here Is what I think is happening.

It is the same as last time around. They have probably finished the album.

They are now trying to find a record company to release the record. They will be arguing with the company, amongst themselves, and with everyone they work with. The arguing will bring everything to a stalemate until something breaks the deadlock. Then we will get the album.

It will come out in April 2015.
    That's when DLR releases albums - April.
    If it is not out in April 2015, It will probably be released in April 2016.

Things never change with these guys.

As far as DLR's legacy, he never wanted to have the history and reputation he has. He wants to be a dancer/singer/showman. He wants to be Fred Astaire/Danny Kaye/ Marx brothers/Gene Kelly. VH's music is beneath him. He only does this stuff to pay the bills. It probably is his cavalier attitude towards VH that makes him a success.
    Contrast that with how hard he tries to do that eclectic YFLM stuff.

38. Thanked wolfsbane for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (09-12-2014)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

ADKOT came out in early Feb.

You're last paragraph is an interesting take, though.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-22-2016 @ 07:49 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Check out this photoshop someone made haha. http://s129.photobucket.com/user/CGa...AJuve.jpg.html

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Droomer5150 View Post
    Check out this photoshop someone made haha. http://s129.photobucket.com/user/CGa...AJuve.jpg.html
    That's old news around here.. That pic was originally Jhale.

42. Thanked VAiN for this KICKASS post:

Angel (09-13-2014)

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Droomer5150 View Post
    hairy kid.jpg

canella's kid's face

44. 2 users say thank you to PETE'S BROTHER for this KICKASS post:

Angel (09-13-2014),Droomer5150 (09-13-2014)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    A good bit of the stuff has already been cataloged. They had a guy working on it a few years back (maybe more). And as usual nothing came of it.
    Well, if that's the case, then that is pretty lame. Not surprising, but still lame. Don't know if it's been discussed around here before, but are there copyright issues around some of that stuff? Take the US Festival show for example. Could they put that out even if they wanted to?

bum in the sun
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2016 @ 02:40 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Interesting that Mike says he's not interested in writing a book just yet because he would make too many enemies. I can't imagine him divulging so much damning information about other people in a book about his life the way his buddy did. Even in this interview, he said "not to mention any names" at least a few times. While the possibility of returning to VH remains remote, he is wise to not burn the bridge.

You can too write a book with out pissing people off if you write about the good times. Who the fuck said every book has to be full of piss and vinegar just to sell it.
    Sam's book, well he's just someone who has to make everyone look bad so he looks better. Maybe it worked, but I never read it because I have no respect for someone who behaves that way.

Same with Valerie. Why release a fucking bio of her fucked up life in the middle of her child's first chance at getting some respect as a musician? Why release it when the man she once loved is trying to recover from a lifetime of addiction, just for sport? Did she enjoy the tour getting put on hold so Ed and Wolf could recover from their wife and mother's vicious vile tribute about their life together? Did she enjoy that power?

This behavior is why I have had nothing to do with VH after Dave left. Sammy was very vocal, me or Dave. I wanted both, but was only invited to one. I chose the one who took the higher road, loved the band he left, and never said a rotten thing about his friends or gave Sam and the media the war they wanted. I became ROTH FAN

So Michael Anthony, if you want to write a book, do so. Do so with class. Not with spit and venom. You are part of the original Mighty Van Halen!!! You threw backyard parties for thousands of fans in sold out arenas for years! Remember the good times. Write about that. We don't give a shit who fucked who over. We want you back for a farewell tour. We want to hear your voice again. Remember us? The fans that were there for you in the backyards of Pasadena up until the 1984 tour. We are the original 6 pack.

I really hope you read the new book that is coming out.
    Last edited by CreatureFrmTheC; 09-18-2014 at 03:34 AM.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CreatureFrmTheC View Post
    I really hope you read the new book that is coming out.
    You mean Van Halen Rising? Yeah, that's going to be amazing. Many here are shrugging it off as just another collection of the same old stories plodded out. I've been in touch with the author and let me tell you, this guy has done some severe homework. He even interviewed Mike. VAiN designed the book jacket, which looks awesome. Says it's going to come out by mid 2015, hopefully. I think he's having too much fun writing and he keeps finding more info as he goes that simply can't be excluded. I'm looking forward to it all right.

48. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

VAiN (09-18-2014)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    You mean Van Halen Rising? Yeah, that's going to be amazing. Many here are shrugging it off as just another collection of the same old stories plodded out. I've been in touch with the author and let me tell you, this guy has done some severe homework. He even interviewed Mike. VAiN designed the book jacket, which looks awesome. Says it's going to come out by mid 2015, hopefully. I think he's having too much fun writing and he keeps finding more info as he goes that simply can't be excluded. I'm looking forward to it all right.
    Greg is a good dude, and posts here from time to time. I have no doubt his book is going to be first class, and I am looking forward to it.

50. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (09-18-2014)

turbo enigma
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-28-2023 @ 10:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CreatureFrmTheC View Post
    So Michael Anthony, if you want to write a book, do so. Do so with class. Not with spit and venom. You are part of the original Mighty Van Halen!!! You threw backyard parties for thousands of fans in sold out arenas for years! Remember the good times. Write about that. We don't give a shit who fucked who over.
    Without the dirt, it isn't real.

Sam is a scumbag for what he did to his wife, but as for airing out the dirt on Ed and anyone else - it comes with the territory and if Ed thought that Howdy Doody Mountain was an armed palisade, then he got it wrong. If anyone deserves to have their bad behavior out in the open it is Ed.

I'd still like to read Sam's book to know some of that stuff but he is an off-putting character so I can't bring myself to do it...and remember, Ed wanted Sam in the band. Ed.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smorgdonkey View Post
    ...and remember, Ed wanted Sam in the band. Ed.
    In '86, after crying to the Lamborghini mechanic, sure. I hang the '04 mess on Al, who called Hags. Not so sure Ed remembers '04.

53. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

smorgdonkey (09-22-2014)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:19 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smorgdonkey View Post
    I'd still like to read Sam's book to know some of that stuff but he is an off-putting character so I can't bring myself to do it...and remember, Ed wanted Sam in the band. Ed.

I don't see any point in reading Hagar's book when I know half the stuff you can check is just made up bullshit.

So when you get to a bit that you don't already know like something behind closed doors how do you work out if it's true? Do you assume 50% bullshit? 75%? Anything that makes him look bad is true and vice versa?

What's the point? What insight would you get from, lets face it, a pretty dumb guy ? Plus Van Hagar was a shitty boring MOR band with one or two rock songs per album with annoying singing. You would be better reading the singer of Loverboy's autobiography if there is such a thing.

Reading Sammy's book would be like reading the autobiography of a pretty unpleasant compulsive liar with no self awareness who won the lottery.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 09-18-2014 at 10:52 AM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I don't see any point in reading his book when I know half the stuff you can check is just made up bullshit.

So when you get to a bit that you don't already know like something behind closed doors how do you work out if it's true? Do you assume 50% bullshit? 75%? Anything that makes him look bad is true and vice versa?

What's the point? What insight would you get from, lets face it, a pretty dumb guy ? Plus Van Hagar was a shitty boring MOR band with one or two rock songs per album with annoying singing. You would be better reading the singer of Loverboy's autobiography if there is such a thing.

Reading Sammy's book would be like reading the autobiography of a pretty unpleasant compulsive liar with no self awareness who won the lottery.
    I would just like to clarify, you are talking about Sammy Clichegar's book, and not the one Greg is presently writing. I'd hate for someone to think you're talking about the upcoming "Van Halen Rising" book.

You are talking about the Clichegar book. Someone else is talking about Mike potentially writing a book. DLR Bridge and I are talking about Greg's book he's writing now.

By the way. WTF does "DLR Bridge" mean, anyway?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:19 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts

Ah I'll tidy it, I thought I was replying to smorg and DLRB slipped a post in between us.. so to speak.

57. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (09-18-2014)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Greg is a good dude, and posts here from time to time. I have no doubt his book is going to be first class, and I am looking forward to it.

I admit to being skeptical at first, but after talking to him and seeing just how much research he's putting into it, I agree it should be excellent.

We tried to see if we could get Greg an interview with DLR, but Dave turned it down.....

59. Thanked Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (09-18-2014)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

By the way. WTF does "DLR Bridge" mean, anyway?
    Well, you'll just have to go back to Shoes thread about screen names from 2 or 3 years ago and find out!

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

We tried to see if we could get Greg an interview with DLR, but Dave turned it down.....
    Dag nabbit! He should write the dang forward to the thing a la the first Zloz book. That was a great forward by the by.

Thread Information