Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZahZoo
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I think the primary inhibitor for releasing anything from the vaults is just 100% laziness... which makes no sense because projects like that don't require any heavy lifting nor hard work.

Most of it wouldn't even require much from the band... Just a matter of getting a decent engineer to weed through the tapes, clean them up and assemble enough to fill a CD or DVD. Then send it off to someone to master and digitally clean it further. A few hours of review and deciding play orders and what's in or out is all the band would need to do...

Outside of laziness... I think Ed would just rather bury everything in the past for fear of having to see or hear his fucked up self or be reminded who he's mistreated while blasted out of mind on drugs/alcohol... That's got to scare the livin shit out of him!!
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• DONNIEP
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

Ed's "legacy" only goes back as far as the press conference announcing the newest version of VH that he's decided to trot out.

I would say yeah, Dave cares about his legacy and point the the Roth Shows as proof. But I think he cranks those out just because he really likes to hear himself talk. A lot. About wrestling. And other boring stuff nobody cares about. I don't want to know which comic book he read as a 4 year old that inspired the lighting rig for the '82 tour. Just tell the stories about VH and being super rock star Dave. Or better yet, just release a giant box set of everything he's ever laid down on tape prior to say 2005. That would just about cover his "legacy". Plus it would really piss off Ed which is always a plus.
      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DONNIEP
        And other boring stuff nobody cares about. I don't want to know which comic book he read as a 4 year old that inspired the lighting rig for the '82 tour.
        donno, i really like that insight into his creative expression
        Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• DLR Bridge
          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
          donno, i really like that insight into his creative expression
          Same here. I could do without the wrestling babble, though.

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

We need more in-depth discussion of his herd dog training and more 20 minute repetitious dancing shows...

I think it's also time for Dave to spill all the beans on the Bart Walsh cuntroversy...

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2007

extreme sheathing vids are cool too
              Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Von Halen
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                I think it's also time for Dave to spill all the beans on the Bart Walsh cuntroversy...
                You don't know that story?

Comment

• ZahZoo
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                  I recall the story... I want to hear Dave's spin on it.

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                    I think the primary inhibitor for releasing anything from the vaults is just 100% laziness... which makes no sense because projects like that don't require any heavy lifting nor hard work.

Most of it wouldn't even require much from the band... Just a matter of getting a decent engineer to weed through the tapes, clean them up and assemble enough to fill a CD or DVD. Then send it off to someone to master and digitally clean it further. A few hours of review and deciding play orders and what's in or out is all the band would need to do...

Outside of laziness... I think Ed would just rather bury everything in the past for fear of having to see or hear his fucked up self or be reminded who he's mistreated while blasted out of mind on drugs/alcohol... That's got to scare the livin shit out of him!!
                    I think i mentioned it in another thread, but they should do an update of their "Lost Weekend With Van Halen" contest- the "Lost Vault Tapes of Van Halen" contest. Pick some fan or fans to scour through the vaults and see what's there. Hell, they wouldn't even have to pay anybody. Any number of people from this site alone would be in perma nut busting mode going through all that stuff, myself included. I wouldn't even care if there was Sammy crap mixed in there- just set that in the "trash" pile and go about my business.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
                      I used to know the story. Then I forgot it. Then I found a couple threads about it but dammit I forgot again. So tell the story!

Comment

• DONNIEP
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by chuckjitsu
                        I think i mentioned it in another thread, but they should do an update of their "Lost Weekend With Van Halen" contest- the "Lost Vault Tapes of Van Halen" contest. Pick some fan or fans to scour through the vaults and see what's there. Hell, they wouldn't even have to pay anybody. Any number of people from this site alone would be in perma nut busting mode going through all that stuff, myself included. I wouldn't even care if there was Sammy crap mixed in there- just set that in the "trash" pile and go about my business.
                        A good bit of the stuff has already been cataloged. They had a guy working on it a few years back (maybe more). And as usual nothing came of it.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Feb 2005

It would be nice for just one last goround.

Comment

• Droomer5150
                            Roadie
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Grit
                            I still believe a new album is in the works. We all know as Van Halen fans getting any info out of that camp is extremely difficult. It's been there philosophy to keep things pretty quiet until the last moment with only vague hints of activity. It usually gets quietest before something is about to happen. That still may mean months away but here are a couple of things that show something is happening . . . . .

1) Roth said there was a "secret project" in April of this year and talked about a new album and that it would be out in 18 months or so .

2) Mark Tremonti in February of 2014 . . . Said Mark: "With Wolfgang in the band now, he does a lot of work with VAN HALEN right now, they're putting together a new album,
                            so it's going to be hard to get everybody's schedules to line up."

3) When the new picture of Ed visiting the Howie Weinberg Mastering Studio in July that was possibly to do with a new album.

Any thoughts?
                            If there is a new album, I'm guessing it'd be more of the "35 songs from the Different Kind of Truth demos". That would be easy for the band, they wouldn't have to worry about writing anything but some lyrics possibly and some small revisions? Plus if there is a new album coming early next year I'm guessing that visit may have been Eddie taking the premasters to the studio and it'd most likely be done by now. They're probably sorting out packaging, release dates, label, promotion (although they didn't do much of that last time haha).

Then again because we know like 3 little hints I could be completely wrong....all I say is to top A Different Kind of Truth they better bring out a new album AND 1984 blu-ray (with 1984 documentary)....then in between the 2008 show (with bonus songs from 2012) then more of the 35 songs can make another album and to top that they need to bring out a live bluray of Oakland....then more of the 35 songs and a early CVH bluray boxset (remaster 78, 79, prealbum footage, 1980 documentary, US festival etc, behind the scenes stuff)....and then that'd probably be it from the 35 songs and I'd be content...one more album with the original four (and live blu-ray)? Maybe a full Aus tour as well? So I can actually see them (with Mike or Wolf, I don't care as long as I witness Eddie and Alex live) hahaha. All this must happen within the next 2-3 years too...asking too much?
                            Last edited by Droomer5150; 09-11-2014, 10:06 PM.
                            SMOOTH INTENTIONS, RIGHT NOW, EMILY JOY, CHRIS GIBBS BAND, RUN RIOT! (Def Leppard), KISSTAKE (Kiss), SNAKEBITE (Whitesnake). Recording/Session Drumming http://www.youtube.com/joshkosh95 https://twitter.com/joshcgallagher https://www.facebook.com/joshgallaghermusic

Comment

• wolfsbane
                              Roadie
                              • Jan 2005

Here Is what I think is happening.

It is the same as last time around. They have probably finished the album.

They are now trying to find a record company to release the record. They will be arguing with the company, amongst themselves, and with everyone they work with. The arguing will bring everything to a stalemate until something breaks the deadlock. Then we will get the album.

It will come out in April 2015.
                              That's when DLR releases albums - April.
                              If it is not out in April 2015, It will probably be released in April 2016.

Things never change with these guys.

As far as DLR's legacy, he never wanted to have the history and reputation he has. He wants to be a dancer/singer/showman. He wants to be Fred Astaire/Danny Kaye/ Marx brothers/Gene Kelly. VH's music is beneath him. He only does this stuff to pay the bills. It probably is his cavalier attitude towards VH that makes him a success.
                              Contrast that with how hard he tries to do that eclectic YFLM stuff.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

ADKOT came out in early Feb.

You're last paragraph is an interesting take, though.

Comment

Working...