X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
    Never fear, your Captain is at the wheel and we're right on course!

Just because the compass is pointed in the right direction doesn't mean you are going anywhere.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• VAiN
      Use my hand, I won't look
      ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by chuckjitsu
      Well, Mike might not be sitting around waiting for Ed to call, but if his phone rang and he knew it was Ed calling to get him back in, he'd have that phone answered before the first ring even ended. I've always felt that if Ed can patch it up with Dave, getting Mike back in to the fold should be several orders of magnitude easier.

Given current circumstances, it looks to me like Wolfgang would have to intervene in some way to get Mike back in since he seems to be the only one with the ability to get Ed off his ass and doing things. Won't be holding my breath waiting for that Mike reunion.
      Yeah, that's pretty much it.. Mike would come back in a heartbeat, but that fucking Ed... that guy can hold a grudge longer than anyone.
      Originally posted by wiseguy
      That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I know it would be 'tail between the legs' but, Mike could always call Ed. Of course, it shouldn't have to be they way, but sometimes, the stronger man needs to dial the god damn phone.

Comment

• DONNIEP
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

Nah, Mikey needs to just keep on doing his thing until Ed finally gets it through his thick fucking skull that his kid ain't a member of Van Halen. I don't care if he named the kid David Lee Eddie Van Alex Michael Halen. Once he gets that in his head - then he'll make the call. But he'll never get it through his head because he's still selling tickets out the ass and he's thinking "This is the greatest fucking idea I've ever had!"
          American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Yeah. Was trying a different train if thought, knowing Ed's never gonna make that call.

Comment

• Grit
              Roadie
              • Oct 2011

Clues there is indeed something going on

I still believe a new album is in the works. We all know as Van Halen fans getting any info out of that camp is extremely difficult. It's been there philosophy to keep things pretty quiet until the last moment with only vague hints of activity. It usually gets quietest before something is about to happen. That still may mean months away but here are a couple of things that show something is happening . . . . .

1) Roth said there was a "secret project" in April of this year and talked about a new album and that it would be out in 18 months or so .

2) Mark Tremonti in February of 2014 . . . Said Mark: "With Wolfgang in the band now, he does a lot of work with VAN HALEN right now, they're putting together a new album,
              so it's going to be hard to get everybody's schedules to line up."

3) When the new picture of Ed visiting the Howie Weinberg Mastering Studio in July that was possibly to do with a new album.

Any thoughts?

Comment

• VetteLS5
                Commando
                • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Grit
                Any thoughts?
                Donnie likes Tacos.

Love your optimism though!

Comment

• mh5150
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Grit
                  I still believe a new album is in the works. We all know as Van Halen fans getting any info out of that camp is extremely difficult. It's been there philosophy to keep things pretty quiet until the last moment with only vague hints of activity. It usually gets quietest before something is about to happen. That still may mean months away but here are a couple of things that show something is happening . . . . .

1) Roth said there was a "secret project" in April of this year and talked about a new album and that it would be out in 18 months or so .

2) Mark Tremonti in February of 2014 . . . Said Mark: "With Wolfgang in the band now, he does a lot of work with VAN HALEN right now, they're putting together a new album,
                  so it's going to be hard to get everybody's schedules to line up."

3) When the new picture of Ed visiting the Howie Weinberg Mastering Studio in July that was possibly to do with a new album.

Any thoughts?
                  Get Ready. ....

My tickets in the mail yet?

Comment

• sadaist
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jul 2004

I would love to see the classic Van halen 1 time. I've seen them with Dave & Wolf, Sam & Mike, Gary, Dave solo, Sam solo, Sam with Mike (the other half)....every fucking incarnation but the real deal 100 proof Van fucking Halen!

That said, to me it was always about Dave & Eddie. That was all I really NEEDED to see in my lifetime & I did that. Was magical. So for the most part I am content. And ADKOT was frosting on top of being content. But god damn, get Mike back & let Wolf leave the nest to do great things. Get the 4 together & hang on to this like Keef & Mick are hanging on to the grave. No reason this couldn't go until 1 is buried....and even then did you guys see the hologram Tupac? o_O
                    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

I agree with the others, the only way Mike will ever be back for any period of time will be as a result of Wolf telling Pops he wants to branch out with Tremonti or whomever.....

OR, if Wolf simply tells EVH to bring back Mike for one last tour with the original four, because that's what the fans want.....

It sure as hell won't happen with any initiative from Ed. Ed doesn't give a shit about any legacy, he doesn't care about what the fans may want, he doesn't care about what it might mean financially, none of that matters to him.....

I still hold out hope that one day Wolf will indeed do that. He's in tune with the fans via social media. After all, if it wasn't for Wolf, would we even be looking at Dave in the band?
                      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Von Halen
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                        Ed doesn't give a shit about any legacy, he doesn't care about what the fans may want
                        Does Dave care about the legacy? I don't think he gives two shits about the VH legacy. I'm not even so sure he cares about his own legacy.

Does Dave care what the fans may want? Believe it or not, as out of touch with the fans as these guys are, I do believe Dave has been behind the decisions that has given us the most. I truly believe Dave was behind the decision to allow all recording devices into the shows. To this day, they are the ONLY band that has publicly allowed this. I fucking waltzed into shows with a professional photo rig, that I can't get into any other show, without an all access, or photo, pass. People might think this wasn't that big of a deal, but they set a precedence that no other band has gone along with, to this day. Just like they did back in the day, they blazed another trail. Sometimes I think Dave is very limited to his part in the band, and other times I think he has a lot more pull than anyone really knows. Yes, they still treat us like shit, for the most part. They still fail miserably at keeping their most important fans, the diehards like us, abreast of what is going on with them. They still don't understand what their history and music has meant to some of us. But they do surprise us every once in awhile. Still not convinced they care about what the fans want though.

Does Wolf care about the legacy, at this point? I think he did at one time, but I get the feeling he's over it now. I'm sure he'd love the earnings of another album and tour. But, does he really care about the legacy?

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Von Halen
                          Does Dave care about the legacy? I don't think he gives two shits about the VH legacy. I'm not even so sure he cares about his own legacy.
                          When it comes to Dave, I think of my favorite Most Interesting Man In The World quote:

"It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary"

Dave cares about his legacy, but he has an eccentric artist's way of showing it. I think the manner in which he took the lead on those 'old days' discussion sessions with Ed and Al a couple of years ago tells me that he does care about the VH legacy. Voicing his opinion about what band he thinks Mike Anthony should currently be in is a sign that he cares, also.
                          Last edited by DLR Bridge; 09-11-2014, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Dec 2003

Does Dave care what the fans may want? Believe it or not, as out of touch with the fans as these guys are, I do believe Dave has been behind the decisions that has given us the most. I truly believe Dave was behind the decision to allow all recording devices into the shows. To this day, they are the ONLY band that has publicly allowed this. I fucking waltzed into shows with a professional photo rig, that I can't get into any other show, without an all access, or photo, pass. People might think this wasn't that big of a deal, but they set a precedence that no other band has gone along with, to this day. Just like they did back in the day, they blazed another trail. Sometimes I think Dave is very limited to his part in the band, and other times I think he has a lot more pull than anyone really knows. Yes, they still treat us like shit, for the most part. They still fail miserably at keeping their most important fans, the diehards like us, abreast of what is going on with them. They still don't understand what their history and music has meant to some of us. But they do surprise us every once in awhile. Still not convinced they care about what the fans want though.

I guess the only response to that is by asking this question: Don't you think that if Dave could make it so, that he'd get Mike back in the band ASAP? Every indication I've read over the years since he's rejoined the band is that while he's certainly complimented Wolf on his playing ability and has toted the company line, he's always given subtle hints that ideally the band should have Mike in it.
                            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Von Halen
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                              I guess the only response to that is by asking this question: Don't you think that if Dave could make it so, that he'd get Mike back in the band ASAP? Every indication I've read over the years since he's rejoined the band is that while he's certainly complimented Wolf on his playing ability and has toted the company line, he's always given subtle hints that ideally the band should have Mike in it.
                              I definitely believe Dave would put Mike back in his rightful place in the band. What I'm not sure about is, is it because he cares about the legacy? Or is it because he knows how much better they would sound with Mike's harmonies? Or is it both?

The best thing that could happen, is if the next Tremonti album just blew up, and sold a zillion copies. That might take Wolf out of the VH loop. I don't see that happening, with the state of the record business these days. Plus, Tremonti is in several bands right now, and how much of himself can he really be dedicating to "Tremonti"? Alter Bridge is selling much greater than the Tremonti projects are.

If any of them truly care about the legacy, then why aren't they seemingly looking back? Why can you get a fucking blu-ray of live shows from even the most obscure bands from their era, but you can't get one from VH? What could possibly cement their legacy anymore, than offering up the US Festival? Or the Oakland show? Or any of the others we are forced to watch, that are horrible quality by today's standards?

If they were to make amends with Mike, do you think this might give them the inclination to release some of the stuff from the vaults? Do you think their grudge towards Mike has anything at all to do with the refusal to offer some of this stuff to the fans?

Ed has no problem selling striped guitars and stuff. Of course, he is getting the bulk of the profits from these ventures. Is he so concerned Mike will see a dime of the profits, that he can't bring himself to release the other stuff? Supposedly Mike signed his rights away, so it doesn't seem that would be an issue. Or, does Ed just think it isn't relevant today? To me, that doesn't make sense, because he's just released another guitar that goes back to the old days. Does he think it will hurt Wolf's feelings? I gotta believe Wolf would have no problem with an old show being released on DVD. Especially if they coupled it with a show he's in.

I don't know. Sometimes I wonder why I waste so much time thinking about why these fucking guys just can't seem to get out of their own way, when it comes us, some of the most loyal and diehard fans of any band, on the planet.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Sometimes I wonder why I waste so much time thinking about why these fucking guys just can't seem to get out of their own way...
                                It's a sickness I tell ya. Sometimes, I can't get out of my own way, and I still put more thought towards fixing that damn band.

Comment

Working...